Thread: what is you opinion on pokemorphs

Default what is you opinion on pokemorphs

so I've been interested in pokemorphs for as long as I can remember but I would love to know what other people think of them. The Idea of the hybrid with powers of a pokemon and the skills of one with a bit of the looks was always a thought of mine.
    so this thread is just on your opinion there will be no bad ideas and will be a open word to express them
    **** I'm rambling
    ok lets start this thread
    *cuts ribbon*
    The meaning of life is not to live, but to learn about the world around you and protect the things you love - by yours truely

Check out my FANFICTION http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8762319/1/A-road-for-the-weary

To be fair, this thread is just over a month old, but my opinion in it still pretty much stands. Soooo if we're going to keep this one going, lemme copypasta it.

Spoiler:- I have a lot of things to say about it, actually.:

REBOOT: Chapter fifteen now available. | Original: Chapter thirty-one now available.

The Witch of Fic | 365+ Reviews
    Q&A's for all your writing needs. | 365 fanfic reviews in 365 days.

The Fan Fiction Mafia | Author's Profile

Please read the rules of the Fan Fiction forum. This main forum is to post actual stories; for discussions, we have the Authors' Café subforum (presuming that this thread is indeed regarding Pokémorphs in fanfiction and not just about Pokémorphs in general; the latter wouldn't really belong in this forum at all). I'll move it there, but please remember to read forum-specific rules threads before you make threads in the future.

(JX, I think he's referring to the hybrid kind of Pokémorph, judging from how he describes the idea in the first post, not the transforming kind.)

Might edit/post again with my own take later when I have time.
    Last edited by Dragonfree; 1st December 2012 at 4:31 AM.

Chapter 64: Hide and Seek
    The story of an ordinary boy on an impossible quest in a world that isn't as black and white as he always thought it was.
    (rough draft of the remaining chapters finished for NaNoWriMo; to be edited and posted)

Morphic
    (completed, plus silly extras)
    A few scientists get drunk and start fiddling with gene splicing. Ten years later, they're taking care of eight half-Pokémon kids, each freakier than the next, while a religious fanatic plots to murder them all.

Lengthy fanfiction reviewing guide / A more condensed version
    Read and I will be very happy for a large number of reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfree View Post
    (JX, I think he's referring to the hybrid kind of Pokémorph, judging from how he describes the idea in the first post, not the transforming kind.)
    These days, one is a subset of the other, I'd say. I mean, sure, the first post was pretty vague, but there's not really that much hybrid fic that isn't also in some way addressing the same ideas that transformation fic brings up.

Granted, at the time of my post, I also forgot about fics like Morphic (which is a rarity in the fandom these days), but even then, you've got a lot of the same questions. What does it mean to be human? Where do unnaturally created beings fit into the grand scheme of society? How would normal people react to alien beings? And so on and so forth. You just don't have the actual transformation, which I'll admit.

But on the other hand, as a concept, hybrids (i.e., half-human/Pokémon beings who were born that way with no memory of a past life as either of their half species, usually into a society of like beings) don't really have a strong presence in fanfiction these days for whatever reason; you see it more often in fanart and roleplaying, probably because it's a lot easier to convey the concept if you can just show it through images. Buuuut even then, I'd argue that some of the backstories for these worlds still have some basis in the transformation fic genre, if only because a lot of the time, you do have the "weird science ****" backstory that involves evil scientists/godlike spirits screwing with DNA to turn perfectly innocent Pokémon into lab bunnies.

It's actually sort of weird, now that you mention it; I can't really think of any fic besides Morphic which didn't have some kind of connection to the transformation genre. Every time I come close to coming up with one, I remember it had a lab scene, and... well. Feel free to link me to any other hybrid fics that I might have missed, however.

REBOOT: Chapter fifteen now available. | Original: Chapter thirty-one now available.

Quote Originally Posted by JX Valentine View Post
    But I'd be totally up for actually discussing the philosophical bits too.
    I know this is a copy/paste of an older post, and you kind of touched on it in the post right above this one, but I'd actually really like to hear your thoughts on this. I think it would be quite fascinating.

(Banner by Matori)
    Beyond all ideals, the truth shall set you free...
    Most Recent: 18: Winter of Discontent
    Next: The Weight of the World (Part 1)

The steps on the road to the truth.
    The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate

Glacidia Network - The Home for Fanworks
    Best Wishes appreciation blog

Quote Originally Posted by The Great Butler View Post
    I know this is a copy/paste of an older post, and you kind of touched on it in the post right above this one, but I'd actually really like to hear your thoughts on this. I think it would be quite fascinating.
    When is a "Jax post in the Author's Café" post not interesting. Forward Slash shameless flattery.

I can't think of a time in the fandom where Pokémorphs haven't been interesting to be completely fair. Yes, it tends to veer towards the furrier edge of the fandom, but I've spent enough time around My Little Pony that it doesn't even bother me any more.

Think about it this way, one of the big draws about pokémon are the pokémon themselves. They're little bundles of immense power that are essentially like carrying super powers in your pocket. Wanna fly somewhere? Jump on your pokémon. Wanna swim somewhere quickly? Jump on your pokémon. Wanna move a massive boulder out of your way? Use your pokémon. Wanna burn down a pokémon centre because the voices in your head convinced you it was a good idea? Use your pokémon. If the last 15 years has told us anything, it's that people love super hero films. Whether they're good, like Spiderman 2 or whether they're bad, like Spiderman 3. The idea that you can have the power to do these things is escapist fantasy bread and butter.

Apply this to the pokémon universe and it can only lead one place. GLIGARMAN! No... sadly not, nobody loves Gligarman. Picture this if you will though, a human (it could even be you) gaining the powers of a pokémon to do with as they pleased. Enough to make one vomit rainbows. On it's own it's a winning mixture, but as Jax pointed out, it can lead to all sorts of awesome cultural and philosophical discussions.

It also means that you stick a pair of fox ears and nine tails on a cute chick.

Either way, these types of fics aren't likely to die out any time soon.
    Skogsrĺ

Gardenia never liked the Old Chateau, but what if the Old Chateau liked her?

Author's Profile

Which of course, they are still alive, yet most of these pokemorph fanfics are referred most in (from what I found most of the time) ...

Spoiler:- Rated M topics warning:
    Last edited by jireh the provider; 1st December 2012 at 1:38 PM.
    Final Chapter: 38: Mountain's Edge(Click the Banner above)

XD you can't find anything on Pokemorphs that's not pokewereism or has explcied content you say well may I intrest you in the fanfiction called "secret of the hybrid"
    Ok I get what JX is saying and the Idea of the hybrid pokemorph does bring alot of the same questions back up.
    No I did not copy and past this thread I have always wanted to do a thread like this and I would love to just talk about the subject in a new thread. Again I had no clue there was another thread like this. and if you really want to hear my opinion (because I really am dense sometimes) please refer to me if you want me to reply (I'm dense)
    The meaning of life is not to live, but to learn about the world around you and protect the things you love - by yours truely

Check out my FANFICTION http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8762319/1/A-road-for-the-weary

Quote Originally Posted by kyuurilugia View Post
    No I did not copy and past this thread I have always wanted to do a thread like this and I would love to just talk about the subject in a new thread. Again I had no clue there was another thread like this. and if you really want to hear my opinion (because I really am dense sometimes) please refer to me if you want me to reply (I'm dense)
    I wasn't referring to your post, I was referring to Jax's comment, which had been pasted from the previous thread on this subject.

I apologize for the confusion.

(Banner by Matori)
    Beyond all ideals, the truth shall set you free...
    Most Recent: 18: Winter of Discontent
    Next: The Weight of the World (Part 1)

The steps on the road to the truth.
    The Firestorm Rebellion
    The Victory Star of Fate

Glacidia Network - The Home for Fanworks
    Best Wishes appreciation blog

But there are a few pokemorph fics I know that is much friendlier. Though the only one I know is Morphic
    Final Chapter: 38: Mountain's Edge(Click the Banner above)

the one's I know are definatly "secret of the hybrid" *sob* and a "a step back"
    neither are finish and probobly won't be.

Quote Originally Posted by kyuurilugia View Post
    the one's I know are definatly "secret of the hybrid" *sob* and a "a step back"
    neither are finish and probobly won't be.
    Hmm. Hope you don't mind me pointing this out, but isn't only one of those a born hybrid story? Looking both of them over, I'll give it to you that Secret of the Hybrid uses the same kind of morph as Morphic (i.e., morphs that were born as such, not those that were transformed into one), but A Step Back is actually a transformation fic. So at this point, I think it would be best to ask for clarification on this topic. Are you only talking about morphs that were born as morphs (either because of genetic experimentation, gods just saying "why not," or the universe actually had morphs all along), or are you talking about morphs in general (including the ones that were created -- i.e., were originally different species but underwent a transformation).

After all, I'm not sure what can be said about characters themselves that are hybrids. That's like asking us what our opinion on trainers is. The obstacle with doing that is that the question covers a lot of territory, and the answer largely depends on the character's context. So it would help in figuring out exactly what it is you want us to talk about -- because, let's face it. When talking about fanfiction, you never just say "oh, this character concept is really awesome." You really talk about the dirty details of what that means in its context. So when talking about hybrids, we can't really do the discussion justice by stopping at talking about ears, tails, and powers; we have to also address what those mean. And while morph fics in which a morph is born that way brings up a lot of the same questions as transformation fics, there's also a difference between, for example, a fic set in a world where morphs are a minority/unique circumstance and a fic set in a world where all of the Pokémon are actually just humans with 'mon ears and tails.

And I'll get to the philosophy bit later, sorry to say. I just wanted to get this out there first.
    Last edited by JX Valentine; 3rd December 2012 at 8:50 PM.

pokemorphs in general anything tha be considered a pokemorph sorry for not making that so clear that includes anthro born or transformed by genetic mutation or biten by radioatic **** or wereism.
    xd I know what you mean