Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 5th Gen Cores Discussion

Default 5th Gen Cores Discussion

Cores are the keystone for teambuilding, wither stall or hyper offensive. Now most people think of cores as F/G/W, but thats not true, cores are a group of pokemon, usually 2-4, that work together to complete a set job, either one of the sweeping, or breaking walls, volt turning, or passive damage.
    Cores posted here will be archived here on the first post for people to see. People can also post cores that they need help with for advise. Feel free to post cores for other tiers outside of OU.

ex.

Kyurem-B @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Teravolt
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
    - Outrage
    - Fusion Bolt
    - Ice Beam
    - Dragon Claw

Landorus-T (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 68 HP / 252 Atk / 188 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Rock Polish
    - Swords Dance
    - Stone Edge
    - Earthquake

Starmie @ Leftovers
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 252 HP / 40 SAtk / 216 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Scald
    - Ice Beam
    - Recover
    - Rapid Spin

Tyranitar (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sand Stream
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
    Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
    - Crunch
    - Stealth Rock
    - Pursuit
    - Stone Edge

This core is ment to put a lot of pressure on the opponent with 2 of the biggest OU threats atm, kyurem black and landorus therian. Both kyurem black and landorus therian have strong offensive synergy as most of landorus therians walls, rotom wash, skarmory, are checked by kyurem black while landorus can set up on kyurem blacks checks like jirachi, terrakion, and scizor. The two are further supported with defensive starmie and bulky tyrannitar, starmie there to spin rocks and act as a second check to landorus therian and scizor while ttar is there as a scarfed latios check, while setting up rocks and a back up for volcarona.
    Last edited by McDanger; 15th September 2013 at 1:47 AM.

Spoiler:- Uber offensive cores:

Spoiler:- Uber defenisve cores:

Spoiler:- OU offensive cores:

Spoiler:- UU offensive cores:

Spoiler:- UU defensive cores :

Spoiler:- RU Offensive cores:

Spoiler:- NU Offensive cores:

Spoiler:- NU Defensive cores:

Spoiler:- LC Offensive core:

Spoiler:- LC defensive cores:
    Last edited by McDanger; 21st September 2013 at 4:34 PM.

Because yay I like to contribute things

Umbreon @ Leftovers
    Trait: Synchronize
    EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Def
    Careful Nature
    - Wish
    - Foul Play
    - Heal Bell
    - Protect

Hitmontop @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
    Impish Nature
    - Rapid Spin
    - Toxic
    - Close Combat
    - Stone Edge

Cofagrigus @ Leftovers
    Trait: Mummy
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
    Bold Nature
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Shadow Ball
    - Pain Split
    - Haze

This core contains three defensive mons that have great type synergy and a lot of walling capability. Umbreon can take pretty much any special hit with ease, cures crippling Toxic, and remedies Hitmontop's and Cofagrigus's lack of reliable recovery with Wish. Hitmontop keeps hazards off the field while walling physical attackers with Intimidate. Cofagrigus can stop set-up with Haze and further cripple physical attackers with Will-o-Wisp, while reliably checking spinners. Umbreon can take Psychic attacks aimed at Hitmontop, who can take Dark moves aimed at Cofagrigus, who can take Fighting moves aimed at Umbreon. The core supports each other and the rest of the team very well, and functions well in the UU environment.

Spoiler:- credit:

Not sure if this core is relatively useful generally, but it's pretty useful for my 3:3 Fighting mono:

Pokemon-Against-Psychics-And-Steel (PAPAS)

Who's Your Daddy (Conkeldurr) (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Guts
    EVs: 100 HP / 252 Atk / 154 SDef
    Adamant Nature
    - Payback
    - Drain Punch
    - Ice Punch
    - Mach Punch

Big Papa (Tyranitar) (M) @ Leftovers
    Sassy Nature
    - Pursuit
    - Stealth Rock
    - Crunch
    - Fire Blast

Although these two fatherly figures are walled by Grass/Poison stall such as Amoonguss, they can fare relatively well against the likes of offensive Psychic and Steel types. These include Heatran, Starmie, Latios, Lucario, Jirachi, etc. The reasoning behind this statement is that Conkeldurr covers Tyranitar against Steel type moves, and for as long as Conkeldurr is in the team, it will make the opponent think twice before making a decision. Same goes for Tyranitar, who cover against Psychic powerhouses like Latios.

Due to the weakness of these two to Poison stall and their inability to cover Ground type attacks, I usually place Landorus and Jirachi along with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo77 View Post
    Because yay I like to contribute things

Umbreon @ Leftovers
    Trait: Synchronize
    EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Def
    Careful Nature
    - Wish
    - Foul Play
    - Heal Bell
    - Protect

Hitmontop @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
    Impish Nature
    - Rapid Spin
    - Toxic
    - Close Combat
    - Stone Edge

Cofagrigus @ Leftovers
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
    Bold Nature
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Shadow Ball
    - Pain Split
    - Haze

This core contains three defensive mons that have great type synergy and a lot of walling capability. Umbreon can take pretty much any special hit with ease, cures crippling Toxic, and remedies Hitmontop's and Cofagrigus's lack of reliable recovery with Wish. Hitmontop keeps hazards off the field while walling physical attackers with Intimidate. Cofagrigus can stop set-up with Haze and further cripple physical attackers with Will-o-Wisp, while reliably checking spinners. Umbreon can take Psychic attacks aimed at Hitmontop, who can take Dark moves aimed at Cofagrigus, who can take Fighting moves aimed at Umbreon. The core supports each other and the rest of the team very well, and functions well in the UU environment.
    nice defensive UU core, it looks like it could work on a balanced as well as a stall team. Are rain dance teams a problem idk how much rain boosted hydro pump from kingdra does yo umbreon

Quote Originally Posted by Extroph View Post
    Not sure if this core is relatively useful generally, but it's pretty useful for my 3:3 Fighting mono:

Pokemon-Against-Psychics-And-Steel (PAPAS)

Who's Your Daddy (Conkeldurr) (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Guts
    EVs: 100 HP / 252 Atk / 154 SDef
    Adamant Nature
    - Payback
    - Drain Punch
    - Ice Punch
    - Mach Punch

Big Papa (Tyranitar) (M) @ Leftovers
    Sassy Nature
    - Pursuit
    - Stealth Rock
    - Crunch
    - Fire Blast

Although these two fatherly figures are walled by Grass/Poison stall such as Amoonguss, they can fare relatively well against the likes of offensive Psychic and Steel types. These include Heatran, Starmie, Latios, Lucario, Jirachi, etc. The reasoning behind this statement is that Conkeldurr covers Tyranitar against Steel type moves, and for as long as Conkeldurr is in the team, it will make the opponent think twice before making a decision. Same goes for Tyranitar, who cover against Psychic powerhouses like Latios.

Due to the weakness of these two to Poison stall and their inability to cover Ground type attacks, I usually place Landorus and Jirachi along with them.
    I`ve seen a core like this except it used tr reun to help conk sweep. Also why not use sheer force on conk as your not using bulk up and fire/thunder punch > pay back?
    Last edited by McDanger; 10th September 2013 at 9:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mcdanger View Post
    nice defensive UU core, it looks like it could work on a balanced as well as a stall team. Are rain dance teams a problem idk how much rain boosted hydro pump from kingdra does yo umbreon
    I don't really see special Kindgra often, but Umbreon would usually get 2HKO'ed by Hydro Pump. I usually run Roserade alongside this core though, which can switch in during the turn rain is set up, take a Draco Meteor and recover enough health with Giga Drain/Black Sludge to survive the next one. Some balanced teams may not like using 4 defensive pokes though, so I left Roserade out.

Spoiler:- credit:

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo77 View Post
    I don't really see special Kindgra often, but Umbreon would usually get 2HKO'ed by Hydro Pump. I usually run Roserade alongside this core though, which can switch in during the turn rain is set up, take a Draco Meteor and recover enough health with Giga Drain/Black Sludge to survive the next one. Some balanced teams may not like using 4 defensive pokes though, so I left Roserade out.
    makes sense, i can see abomasnow helping too as he can switch in on the on hydro pump and force it out with wood hammer/giga drain or blizzard if its using tornadus to set up rain

Quote Originally Posted by mcdanger View Post

I`ve seen a core like this except it used tr reun to help conk sweep. Also why not use sheer force on conk as your not using bulk up and fire/thunder punch > pay back?
    I use Guts because Ttar/Jirachi/Landorus are all Physical in my team, and Will-o-wisp would really cripple them :] Plus, people voluntarily use Toxic/WoW on Conk thinking it's Sheer Force, so it's kind of fun when that happens as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Extroph View Post
    I use Guts because Ttar/Jirachi/Landorus are all Physical in my team, and Will-o-wisp would really cripple them :] Plus, people voluntarily use Toxic/WoW on Conk thinking it's Sheer Force, so it's kind of fun when that happens as well.
    I see what your saying, but you could add reuniclus to take that and use TR to help conk sweep, added to the first post

Lol, 4 Pokemon is a big core. Still pretty solid, though.

This is one core that I used back during the summer in an attempt to make SD Bullet Punch Lucario work. See, Bullet Punch Lucario excels at taking care of its best offensive checks, Scarf Tyranitar, Terrakion, and Gengar, all of which resist or are immune to Extremespeed. However, this leaves it more vulnerable to raw counters like Jellicent and Landorus-T. A good way of dealing with these is by trapping, and so this core developed.

Lucario @ Life Orb
    Trait: Justified
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    -Swords Dance
    -Close Combat
    -Extremespeed
    -Bullet Punch

Scizor @ Choice Band
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SDef
    Adamant Nature
    -Bullet Punch
    -U-turn
    -Superpower
    -Quick Attack

Gothitelle @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Shadow Tag
    EVs: 208 HP / 252 SAtk / 48 Spd
    Modest Nature
    -Psyshock
    -Thunderbolt
    -Hidden Power [Ice]
    -Grass Knot

The main aspect of this core that makes it so successful is that many of the same switch-ins to Lucario are shared by Scizor, and these often eat a U-turn and are trapped and killed off by Gothitelle. Scizor lures in Pokemon like Jellicent, Landorus-T, Gliscor, Gyarados, Tentacruel, and Hippowdon, all of which give BP Lucario trouble. Gothitelle 2HKOs Jellicent and OHKOs Gyarados with Thunderbolt, OHKOs Landorus-T and Gliscor with HP Ice, OHKOs Tentacruel with Psyshock after Stealth Rock, and OHKOs physically defensive Hippowdon with Grass Knot. Besides these specific counters, the combo works well as a general offensive core. Scizor's slow U-turn helps get Gothitelle in safely on as many Pokemon as possible in order to trap and remove them. It also helps Lucario get in for free whenever the opponent sends in something it can set up on.

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak94 View Post
    Lol, 4 Pokemon is a big core. Still pretty solid, though.

This is one core that I used back during the summer in an attempt to make SD Bullet Punch Lucario work. See, Bullet Punch Lucario excels at taking care of its best offensive checks, Scarf Tyranitar, Terrakion, and Gengar, all of which resist or are immune to Extremespeed. However, this leaves it more vulnerable to raw counters like Jellicent and Landorus-T. A good way of dealing with these is by trapping, and so this core developed.

Lucario @ Life Orb
    Trait: Justified
    Adamant Nature
    -Swords Dance
    -Close Combat
    -Extremespeed
    -Bullet Punch

Scizor @ Choice Band
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SDef
    Adamant Nature
    -Bullet Punch
    -U-turn
    -Superpower
    -Quick Attack

Gothitelle @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Shadow Tag
    EVs: 208 HP / 252 SAtk / 48 Spd
    Modest Nature
    -Psyshock
    -Thunderbolt
    -Hidden Power [Ice]
    -Grass Knot

The main aspect of this core that makes it so successful is that many of the same switch-ins to Lucario are shared by Scizor, and these often eat a U-turn and are trapped and killed off by Gothitelle. Scizor lures in Pokemon like Jellicent, Landorus-T, Gliscor, Gyarados, Tentacruel, and Hippowdon, all of which give BP Lucario trouble. Gothitelle 2HKOs Jellicent and OHKOs Gyarados with Thunderbolt, OHKOs Landorus-T and Gliscor with HP Ice, OHKOs Tentacruel with Psyshock after Stealth Rock, and OHKOs physically defensive Hippowdon with Grass Knot. Besides these specific counters, the combo works well as a general offensive core. Scizor's slow U-turn helps get Gothitelle in safely on as many Pokemon as possible in order to trap and remove them. It also helps Lucario get in for free whenever the opponent sends in something it can set up on.
    Ya most of my cores are 2-3 but i lost most of my good teams lol

Sexy core, does goth have enough bulk to trap keldeo cause it seems to be a big pain for the core

Somewhat. The only way Scarf or Expert Belt Keldeo can OHKO Gothitelle is if Rain is up and SR is down, and even then Gothitelle can take a Hydro Pump about half the time. It's certainly not very reliable, though, and so you'll need to reach into your other team slots to solve that weakness (as well as others). One version of the team with this core (there were a lot of versions) had specially defensive Celebi with SD + BP. So many people would use Tyranitar/Scizor's Pursuit without thinking about it and I would BP to Lucario, set up SD on the switch, and sweep at +3. Needless to say, Celebi also helped cover things like Keldeo and Thundurus-T, who might be trouble otherwise. If all else fails, don't forget that you have two Pokemon with Bullet Punch and Quick Attack/Extremespeed, which can possibly save your skin at the last minute.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that you can use Trick > Grass Knot on Gothitelle, but I prefer Grass Knot to OHKO Hippowdon and deal solid damage to CB Tyranitar. Btw, the EVs are designed to outspeed the standard CB Tyranitar, in case anyone was wondering.
    Last edited by jesusfreak94; 10th September 2013 at 11:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak94 View Post
    Somewhat. The only way Scarf or Expert Belt Keldeo can OHKO Gothitelle is if Rain is up and SR is down, and even then Gothitelle can take a Hydro Pump about half the time. It's certainly not very reliable, though, and so you'll need to reach into your other team slots to solve that weakness (as well as others). One version of the team with this core (there were a lot of versions) had specially defensive Celebi with SD + BP. So many people would use Tyranitar/Scizor's Pursuit without thinking about it and I would BP to Lucario, set up SD on the switch, and sweep at +3. Needless to say, Celebi also helped cover things like Keldeo and Thundurus-T, who might be trouble otherwise. If all else fails, don't forget that you have two Pokemon with Bullet Punch and Quick Attack/Extremespeed, which can possibly save your skin at the last minute.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that you can use Trick > Grass Knot on Gothitelle, but I prefer Grass Knot to OHKO Hippowdon and deal solid damage to CB Tyranitar. Btw, the EVs are designed to outspeed the standard CB Tyranitar.
    I`ll add that to the details

|||||
        Spoiler:- Import:

I can not express my love enough for this core it is simply amazing when it comes to destroying opposing weather teams as the ability to turn the tables with this essentially dual weather teams which is amazing when weater is dominant in today's metagame. The core itself should be used with a defensive backbone to help ware down the opponents weather team, I found that special defensive skarmory and specially defensive amoonguss specifically were very useful for spike stacking and status spreading. The actual sweep itself should be stoutland or kindgra with hippowdown and keldeo being supporters for the two, stoutland also doubles as a latios pursuit trapper or latias if its offensive as the removal of those two is greatly beneficial for keldeo to do its job better of punching holes into the opponent's team as it greatly aids kingdra and stoutland respectively. Now there are a few things that are going to look weird to you the first being wild charge on stoutland but as you notice this core hates and I mean absolutely hates defensive jellicent and wild charge is a nice way to get some chip damage on it. The other things will appear on kingdra with the first being lum berry this is for lead breloom as when they see your hippowdown they will lead with sashpunch loom and lum berry allows you to nuke it with a draco meteor and then kill it with a second draco or switch into hippowdown predicting mach punch to kill it with sand. The next this that is weird is that I run signal beam this is so that not only will keldeo aid kingdra but vice-versa as kingdra can now deal massive damage to celebi which can aid keldeo. The evs on kingdra are enough to outspeed breloom outside of rain and scarf latios inside of rain. The evs on stoutland are enough for scarf terrakion hence jolly which is weak but the speed is crucial at times.

|||||||
    Yellow Lv 36 | Saph Lv 35 | Garnet Lv 35 | Eevee Lv 34 | TDK Lv 38 | APorygonZ Lv 33
    Credit to Blues

Quote Originally Posted by Usatoday View Post
    |||||
        Spoiler:- Import:

nice core, very out of the box ideas and making use of underrated pokemon. It seems to me tho that you have to use amoonguss or latias as breloom is a huge threat.

A neat Ubers sun core I came up with. The past standard sun core consists of Groudon, Forretress, and Ho-oh. Groudon sets up the weather as Ho-oh desperately needs, while Forry provides hazard support and removes the Stealth Rocks that Ho-oh despises so much. This core is kind of different, consisting of Double Dance Groudon, Specially Defensive Gastrodon, Magic Bounce Xatu, and SubRoost Ho-oh. Magic Bounce > Rapid Spin because the latter wastes a turn in which a magic bounce user could use to possibly cripple or even kill off a weakened opponent. With U-Turn and Magic Bounce, Xatu has great synergy with Ho-oh, as it prevents hazards and creates momentum. Double Dance Groudon puts huge amounts of pressure on the opponent as they are forced to switch into their Groudon counter as the dinosaur sets up, and at the same time, Sun is summoned that yet again, assists Ho-oh. Gastrodon is here mainly because of Kyogre, who crushes Groudon and Ho-oh. With Gastrodon, however, the opponent is prevented from spamming Water Spouts in fear of being absorbed by Gastro and striking back with +1 Scalds. Ho-oh is the center of this core, as when hazards and sun is up, Brave Birds and Sacred Fires can be spammed, killing everything.
    Last edited by justinjiaxinghu; 11th September 2013 at 10:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by justinjiaxinghu View Post
    The standard sun core consists of Groudon, Forretress, and Ho-oh.
    Actually, that isn't the standard Sun core in Übers. The standard Sun core in Übers is the following:

Groudon, Palkia and Ho-Oh makes an excellent core. Ho-Oh can take any special attacks it is not weak to, such as Ice Beams and Grass Knots aimed at Groudon and Dragon Pulses and Draco Meteors aimed at Groudon or Palkia; Groudon can take any Electric and Rock-type attacks aimed at Ho-Oh, can also to an extent tank Outrages aimed at Palkia or Ho-Oh and of course set up the Sun for Ho-Oh; and Palkia has a quadruple resistance to Water, which is the common weakness of Groudon and Ho-Oh.

Sol (Groudon) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Drought
    EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spd
    Impish Nature
    - Dragon Tail
    - Earthquake
    - Stealth Rock
    - Stone Edge

Sunna (Palkia) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Pressure
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Fire Blast
    - Hydro Pump
    - Spacial Rend
    - Thunder

Ra (Ho-Oh) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Regenerator
    Jolly Nature
    - Brave Bird
    - Flame Charge
    - Roost
    - Sacred Fire
    This is a battle. Of course it's gonna be unfair. That which is called 'battle' was a monster originally born of unfairness and intolerance. I can't stand that guy. I can beat that guy. I can't forgive that guy. We make enemies for all sorts of reasons, and from the moment you make an enemy, until one of you draws his last breath - you're in a battle.

Music

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Champion View Post
    Actually, that isn't the standard Sun core in Übers. The standard Sun core in Übers is the following:

The one I posted was the standard core before Hack's contribution. I just wasn't sure what hack's core was so I posted the old one. my fault

Actually, I was the one who personally invented and first popularized the Groudon/Palkia/Ho-Oh core with this team, which was made long before Hack even used this core (to my knowledge). This is the one and only true Sun core in Übers, barring variations such as having Latias, Gastrodon or Arceus-Water over Palkia, due to the perfect defensive synergy the Pokémon that make up this core have with each other. While Forretress indeed helps the core with its hazard controlling abilities, it cannot be considered to be a part of the core itself due to its lack of defensive synergy with the core's other members, let alone replacing Palkia/Latias/Gastrodon/Arceus-Water in it, as that would result in the entire core being easily demolished by Water-type attacks.
    This is a battle. Of course it's gonna be unfair. That which is called 'battle' was a monster originally born of unfairness and intolerance. I can't stand that guy. I can beat that guy. I can't forgive that guy. We make enemies for all sorts of reasons, and from the moment you make an enemy, until one of you draws his last breath - you're in a battle.

Music

Both Giratina-A and Arceus-Ghost could very well go over Giratina-O in this core, especially in stall teams such as Donkey's #1 Rain Stall, but Giratina-O is by far the most common for this core from my experience, as I see Giratina-O as a member of this core in numerous teams that have reached #1 on ladders, including Sheetanshu's team, -Manaphy--'s DW Ubers team, another DW Ubers team of hers that I tried to replicate at one point in time, and Problematic. With both Ferrothorn and Giratina-O being resistant to both of Kyogre's weaknesses, Kyogre's Drizzle halving Ferrothorn's Fire weakness on top of both Kyogre and Giratina-O resisting Fire-type moves, Giratina-O being immune to Ferrothorn's Fighting weakness, Kyogre being resistant to Giratina-O's Ice weakness and Ferrothorn being resistant to Giratina-O's Dark, Ghost and Dragon weakness, it is no wonder that just like the Groudon/Ho-Oh/Palkia core described in the above post, this is one of the best cores in the Übers metagame, as it features a resistance or immunity against every single type of attack in the game barring Flying (come to think of it, I just realized that this is probably a fundamental part of why Ho-Oh is so good against rain stall), which is probably partially why Dialga is such a great teammate of this core, being even mistaken as a part of it by Smogon. Aside from the aforementioned near-perfect defensive synergy shared between the members of the Kyogre/Giratina-O/Ferrothorn core, there is also the fact that within this very core itself, there is a user of Spikes and a Ghost-type Pokémon to block Rapid Spin (Ferrothorn sometimes uses Stealth Rock instead of Spikes, but since Dialga is a very common and effective member of rain teams as mentioned earlier, combined with the fact that it is a great Stealth Rock user, the Ferrothorn in the rain core often uses Spikes instead) meaning that aside from being able to defend against the opponent's attacks incredibly well, this core could also utilize some very deadly offensive strategies with Ferrothorn's Spikes in combination with Kyogre's incredibly powerful attacks and Giratina-O's excellent pseudo-Hazing abilities. Within the presence of the incredible Spin-blocking ability of Giratina-O (or in this case, more commonly Giratina-A or Arceus-Ghost), Tentacruel also makes a great addition to this core with its Toxic Spikes and Rapid Spin support, especially in what I personally believe to be one of the best team archetypes in the Übers metagame: rain stall.

Leviathan (Kyogre) @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Drizzle
    Modest Nature
    - Ice Beam
    - Surf
    - Thunder
    - Water Spout

Lucemon (Giratina-Origin) @ Griseous Orb
    Trait: Levitate
    Shiny: Yes
    EVs: 176 Atk / 248 Def / 84 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Dragon Tail
    - Magic Coat
    - Outrage
    - Shadow Sneak

C4 Durian (Ferrothorn) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Iron Barbs
    EVs: 252 HP / 248 SDef / 8 Spd
    Careful Nature
    - Leech Seed
    - Spikes
    - Thunder Wave
    - Power Whip
    Last edited by Ultimate Champion; 12th September 2013 at 10:02 AM.

Music

An offensive core I've enjoyed using lately is one of Hydreigon, Expert Belt Jirachi and Double Dancer Landorus-Therian, sets below.

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Sp.Atk / 252 Speed
    Mild
    - Draco Meteor
    - Fire Blast
    - Superpower
    - Roost / Earthquake

Jirachi @ Expert Belt
    Trait: Serence Grace
    EVs: 68 HP / 252 Sp.Atk / 188 Speed
    Timid
    - Flash Cannon
    - Thunderbolt / Thunder
    - Hidden Power Fire
    - Icy Wind

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
    EVs: 248 HP / 52 Atk / 92 Def / 116 Speed
    Adamant
    - Swords Dance
    - Rock Polish
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge

The natural bulk of the three Pokemon complements the defensive synergy between the three, allowing for fairly comfortable switching. Between Hydreigon and Jirachi, the only things preventing a Landorus-T sweep are positive natured Choice scarfers which are higher than base 100, which really only stretch to Keldeo and Latios, as Terrakion is simply set up bait thanks to the bulkier spread. Notable checks to Landorus-T which are eliminated by Jirachi-Hydreigon are opposing Landorus-T, Skarmory, Gliscor, Slowbro, and it also beats common priority users - Scizor and Mamoswine are both OHKO'ed by Jirachi, while Dragonite is KO'ed by both of Landorus-T's partners. As for the 4th move on Hydreigon, I personally prefer Roost - it mitigates the damage from Life Orb while simultaneously punishing you less for using Hydreigon as a punching bag of sorts to help ease Jirachi into play, however Earthquake allows it to remove opposing Jirachi which may get a lucky paralyze on Landorus-T as it tries to set up.

A large part of why my Flames of the Heavenly Light team, as well as its successor, Flames of the Heavenly Light 2 [The Burnout Inferno Mix] managed to achieve the success necessary to reach #1 on nine different Übers ladders across Pokémon Showdown!'s Smogon University server as well as four different servers on Pokémon Online is because of the excellent synergy between the six members of that team, which comprises of three different cores altogether: two defensive cores in Groudon/Ho-Oh/Palkia (as you described in the opening post of this thread) and Espeon/Lugia (to which this current post pertains), and one offensive core in Groudon/Ho-Oh/Reshiram. Espeon/Lugia is a rather atypical core in that the two Pokémon that make up the core do not have particularly complementary type resistances, but rather, they complement each other in terms of the category of moves that they wall: Whereas Espeon is immune to all status-inducing moves, which are commonly used in an attempt to cripple Multiscale Lugia, and also protects its team from Stealth Rock, which seriously hampers Lugia's utility and walling ability by negating its Multiscale on top of dealing 25% damage to it with every switch-in, Lugia with its Multiscale intact is so unbelievably bulky that it can counter much pretty every offensive threat barring those with status-inducing moves, Turboblaze, or Teravolt, and either paralyze or poison them before using Whirlwind to negate any stat boosts that they may have accumulated (in this way leaving them to be either easily picked off by another member of the team later on in the match if they are paralyzed, or continue to be stalled to death by Lugia if they are poisoned), or simply to rack up some entry hazard damage on the opponent's team while bringing in a second victim to be potentially paralyzed or poisoned. Because Magic Bounce support is something that works as an extension of the use of offensive pressure to not give the opponent the opportunity to set up entry hazards, combined with the non-existent offensive presence that Lugia possesses (which therefore lures in entry hazard users like no other, especially since common entry hazard users such as support Dialga, Ferrothorn, Forretress, Tentacruel and Skarmory are all immune to Toxic and do not mind paralysis much at all), this core very much appreciates the inclusion of extremely offensively-threatening teammates capable of easily eliminating or at least heavily damaging the common entry hazard users in the Übers tier. Ideal teammates for this core include Life Orb Ho-Oh, Palkia, Reshiram, Choice Specs Kyurem-W, Latios, offensive Groudon, and Choice Specs Kyogre, or much more ideally, a combination of the aforementioned. Although at least two or three of the previously-mentioned offensive threats must be paired with the Espeon/Lugia core in order to ensure that Espeon succeeds in keeping entry hazards off the field, especially given Lugia's lack of offensive presence, none of those Pokémon are mentioned as a part of this core, as there are just way too many different offensive Pokémon which can possibly be paired with this core in order to allow it to function. Aside from serving the purpose of working alongside Espeon to keep one's own field free of entry hazards, the offensive Pokémon that are to be paired with the Espeon/Lugia core also serves another key role: which is to steamroll the opponent's remaining team after Lugia succeeds in paralyzing large portions of it thanks to its immense bulk, reliable recovery in Roost, and pseudo-Hazing move in Whirlwind, combined with just Stealth Rock support. Aside from everything mentioned up to this point, having checks to Darkrai, Reshiram in the Sun, Zekrom and Kyurem-W is quite necessary for this core as well, as they are the most notable of the few Pokémon capable of easily taking down Multiscale Lugia.

Amaterasu (Espeon) (F) @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Magic Bounce
    Timid Nature
    IVs: 30 Def / 30 SAtk / 30 SDef / 30 Spd / 30 Atk
    - Grass Knot
    - Hidden Power [Fighting]
    - Psyshock
    - Yawn

Surya (Lugia) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Multiscale
    EVs: 252 HP / 52 Def / 204 Spd
    Bold Nature
    - Roost
    - Thunder Wave
    - Toxic
    - Whirlwind
    Last edited by Ultimate Champion; 12th September 2013 at 10:03 AM.

Music

Now I'm not completely sure as to how cores should be invented. From my current knowledge, it shuold be all about covering each other's weaknesses and that's it. But I don't fully catch the drift as to how cores could be used in blending the roles of a pokemon. I mean, you could try building a core with 2 pokemon. But what if their combination ends up being weak to a certain type/pokemon? would it be totally dead weight?

Uber's Cutemon Champions

Manaphy
    Item: Leftovers / Life Orb
    EVs: 252 Sp. attack and speed, 4 HP
    Nature: Timid
    -Tail Glow / Calm Mind
    -Scald / Surf
    -Ice Beam
    -Grass Knot
    Optional: Rest (shaky at best for me)

Shaymin Sky Forme
    Item: Leftovers
    EVs: 252 Sp. attack and speed, 4 HP
    Nature: Timid
    -Air Slash
    -Earth Power / Seed Flare
    -Substitute
    -Leech Seed / Growth

If any of you knew my favorite legendaries, those 100 based all round pokemon are my little champs. Usually, it saddens me that I can't even use them in OU due to balance issues.

Manaphy is actually ubers for a reason thanks to Tail Glow's +3 Sp. attack boost alongside hydration via mama Kyogre swimming all over ubers. This manaphy has no rest? Why? This Manaphy of mine acts as a wallbreaker for the most part. But it can opt himself a knightly offensive approach with its attacks. Calm mind however, plays a defensive approach with its leftovers if you want him to hold off the rushing thunder's from Palkia and Kyogre herself. The option for rest for calm mind is valuable. But why opt for that when in most cases, physical attackers will be the one dealing with manaphy (Ferrothorn, Ho-oh, and Arceus)? I mean it really works don't get me wrong. But I want to have the best of coverage whenever I have to make him fight back. Life orb is there if you want to punch holes better (but very risky for long battles)

Shaymin's sky forme actually works wonders when the opponent opts to release a darkrai and use dark void. So Substitute away. So on the next turn, you could either attack darkrai or use either leech seed or growth (if the opponent switches to Groudon for growth's case). Earth Power is there for Heatran or Dialga with Air Slash for the annoying flinches galore (wwwhheeeeeeeeee.....). If you want Seed Flare over earth power, you'll be leaving yourself vulnerable to those 2 aforementioned counters. You may usually do it to nuke Groudon, Kyogre, and Arceus (in Extreme Speed user's case, land one last strong hit before she falls) for massive damage. Growth is thee if you want to make her a sweeper.

Now the question, what is their core type coverage? Manaphy takes the Ice and Fire attacks while Shaymin sky takes the Grass Judgement and Leech Seeds from Arceus Grass and Ferrothorn while having a sort of shaky covering on electric attacks. Ho-oh, Blaziken, and Groudon are issues though, with Arceus tagging with Extreme speed (Not sure about the other Arceus types though).
    Last edited by jireh the provider; 17th September 2013 at 4:23 PM.
    Current Chapter: 36: Inner Mountain Province (Click the Banner above)

well this got active
    justin and ultimate can you please add sets to your cores so people can see why they have synergy?
    the cores that can are added, i`ll have to find another one of my cores

Here's a nice, delish core for you UU players out there.

Crustle@Custap Berry
    Trait: Sturdy
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 204 HP / 252 Att / 52 Spe
    - Stealth Rock
    - Spikes
    - Rock Blast
    - x-Scissor

Cofagrigus@Leftovers
    Nature: Quiet
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpAtt / 8 Def
    IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 2 Spe
    - Trick Room
    - Nasty Plot
    - Shadow Ball
    - Hidden Power [Fighting]

Seriously, this is one of the strongest hazards/spin blocker core out there. Unlike most spin-blocking cores out there, this core puts offensive pressure on the opponent's team from Turn 1. Nasty Room Cofagrigus is one of the strongest offensive threats out in the metagame right now. This set pretty much prevents the opponent from spinning against him. Furthermore, his insane bulk allows to take a myriad of hits while setting. One if the biggest issues with Cofagrigus is its lack of power, even after a Nasty Plot (base 95 isn't too hot). Hazards alleviate that. Being able to do on average 18% - 24% damage every switch-in is so beneficial for Cofagrigus' sweep, and allows for Cofagrigus to muscle past its usual counters, such as Snorlax, Togekiss, and Umbreon.
    -
    Join the Tutor Program. Started by JRCxyz & Salavoir

Image is far too wide. Whitespace within an image counts, it stretches screens. Please check the signature rules.
    [IMG*]http://i1261.photobucket.com/albums/ii592/xPureProdigy69/Eaglehawksfinisheduserbarinwhite.gif[/IMG*]

Spoiler:- In Memoriam:

If you're new to competitive battling and want me to check out your Rate My Team thread, don't be afraid to VM or PM me. I'll be happy to help.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast