Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you feel obliged to support canon ships?

Default Do you feel obliged to support canon ships?

Do you feel that you need to support canon ships? I remember someone I know hating the last Harry Potter book because his favourite ships weren't canon and they ended up with other people. Even when a character is shipped with someone else it doesn't really stop me shipping them with someone else even though it can limit the canon evidence and hints.

Even though I support Harry x Ginny, I still consider myself to be a multishipper for that fandom.

☆ Maya Fey: Ace Pokemon Trainer
    Carry On, BlisseyThe Other King☆
    Advancers Tumblr
    Banner by Sworn Metalhead at Dćdric Design ✠

^When I was younger I did, but lately I've been seeing shipping more as a form of expression. Normally, I just want to follow the story, but sometimes I do fall in love with a pairing (Okabe x Mayuri being one of my faves still even though I watched it die). Usually, I grow to like the canon pairing, but I still hold a place in my heart for the one I originally like. Also, I try to think of the author's decisions and why they chose that person for who they have the characters with.
    3DS Friend Code: 1306-5187-6204

Do we even have any canon ships that arent stuff like Normanx May's mom?

But sure I do tend to ship canon ships that have direct confirmation and not just strong hints even if that ship later dies. Like I have no idea how anyone could have gotten hermionexdraco, the most I could imagine was her and neville and that was a huge stretch.

I don't feel obliged to ship all canon pairings (though my non-PKMN OTP is indeed canon) - for example, I ship Harry x Luna, even though the canon is obviously Harry x Ginny. Since not all canon ships are cute and fluffy (which are the variety I tend to like), I don't ship all of them.

No I don't feel obligated but I will. So far there hasn't really been much canon ships especially in Pokemon. However, I always liked Harry and Ginny more than Harry and Hermonie in the beginning but it really depends on the person.

My ideal battle ever!

I used to be a huge stickler for canon. And then I watched Digimon. I dunno, something about that show was just... very conductive to crack pairings.
    This conversation needs more Ignitionshipping.
    --------------------------------------

--------------------------------------

Nope, not in the slightest.

I don't have any rules when it comes to shippings. What or who I like to ship depends entirely on my taste really, canon or not. I have a mix of the two in my shipping list, but lately, I have been getting more and more into non-canon pairings - whether it be the realistic or crack kind. Of course, the majority of Pokemon ships fall under that category.

And as long as we're talking about Harry Potter, I always did have a soft spot for Ron and Hermione from the very beginning. Honestly, I never expected them to wind up together at the time of the first book, so that was case of a non-canon ship, which progressed into a canon pairing. I love it when that happens.

♥ Giving away ORAS demo codes.
    PM me for one (Europe only) ♥

Never thought this at all, I shipped pairings I loved even if they didn't become canon in the end I still love them. Take Marchen Awakens Romance for example, I love DorothyxGinta the most and for those who loved the series like me yah.
    A close family member of mine died today, I put this in my sign as respect for him

Ash fan. Luffy fan. Gintoki fan-Gintama. Endou fan-Inazuma Eleven.
    Multi Luffy {One Piece} and Ash {Pokemon} Shippers.

No, and it also depends on the characters I used to ship. I really like shipping characters from other characters, despite of how impossible their shippings to happened. I like playing out and making out shippings even they had their own canon side ships. That's how I came to be a multishipper these days.
    If I have any worth, it is to live my LIFE for GOD

|| Multishipper || Red: ShinAya= Kagepro OTP || Inactive ||

Not usually. It depends on the characters and how likely it is if they'll end up together. I know a lot of my friends that have read the Pokemon manga shipped Franticshipping and I'll be honest, I'm not a huge fan of them together. That's just me though.

Do you like the Pokemon Adventures manga? If so, join the club!

Credit | Author's Profile | Shipping List
    3DS Friend Code: 0748-3470-9720

No, never. I don't give in to peer pressure either. If a shipping I don't like becomes canon that still won't detain me from what I originally like. My reasons could be that the shipping that became canon never made sense while the one I liked did.

Maybe...? I guess I support pairings that aren't canon (*coughMewshippingcough*), albeit some were hinted at to begin with (like Tai/Sora and Pokéshipping). So I guess it depends. Mulder/Scully is a canon pairing, but everyone knew they were going to get together by the end, it was oh-so obvious, though for the right reasons that made The X-Files such a great show.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Last Chance - 11/3/11 - Chapter 20 progress: 75%
    I survived Pupa.

I support canons because I tink that they are good. But I don't feel oobliged to support them,

Agression, Destruction.
    Meowstic is officially mine!

Credit to SM

depends on the specific fandom.There are some canon shipping which to me make no sense to deviate from.(excluding for comedy reasons)However the only reason obligation in that sense is because i feel that that shipping is appropriate to the characters. there are many non- canon shippings i would support because i view it as more appropriate to the original character.Looking at the OP an example from that fandom would be that Hermionie x Ron makes sense to me i can clearly see it develop.But Harry x Ginny i feel much less obligation(though i didn't mind it) because i didn't feel it was as developed and I didn't feel ginny was as developed either.

Noooo, oh gosh no. I almost always tend to fall in love with doomed pairings in shoujo mangas so I've grown used to it lmao. Then again, there are lots of canon pairings I love as well. It depends really. For example, in Fire Emblem Awakening, Chrom x Sumia was hinted multiple times in the games OP, the story's dialogue, and one of the cutscenes. However, since I had the ability to NOT pair them up, I didn't. AND FOR A GOOD REASON TOO. Their relationship was just too boring to me. I couldn't ship it no matter what, even when I tried.

So yeah, I definitely don't feel obliged to support canon ships all the time. Like I said, it depends. :b

Nope. If I don't like a pairing, I won't ship it or feel any obligations to do so, canon or not.

Though, whenever I write fanfic where a canon couple isn't together (and it's not an AU), I do tend to try and give some reasons for their break up that aren't "the other party became abusive/they cheated/they hate each other now." Nothing's more annoying than seeing a canon pair made to hate each other just because the writer didn't like one half of it. If it's canon of them to act that way, sure, but as much as I hate Harry/Ginny for example, there's no way in freaking hell their relationship would end because Harry started randomly beating on her (actually something I've seen in multiple fics). Come on.

I do like some canon ships, but it's usually pretty rare. I kinda feel like canon ships are sort of predictable and/or forcibly shoved into the reader's faces in a "look at them so cute omg" way a lot of the time. I prefer subtlety and hatesex.
    TumblrdeviantArt

"I am not a bad man
    Even though I do bad things
    Very bad things
    Such horrible things"

Current rps
    | TSoAM | CotVK|

I'm willing to support a ship so long as the story behind it in the source material is actually good overall. For example, with "Clannad," I'm more partial to Tomoya x Kotomi, but I'm okay with him being together with Nagisa because that story was in the category of "not ****."

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenHouou View Post
    because Harry started randomly beating on her
    When I read this, I laughed my *** off.

When I do support a canon ship, it is usually only if they are married (Pent x Louise).

I rarely ship canon pairings unless I decide to because I feel their chemistry is good or sometimes if they are introduced in the beginning they will grow on me. I hated Remus x Tonks and still do, but there are ships such as Romione. I just don't feel like I am obligated to ship it because it is canon. That doesn't make it something you have to ship.

banner credit: skiyomi

I only support canon ships if I like the two characters, or I can't ship them with anyone else. Otherwise, I'll ignore the pairing completely (from a fic writer's PoV, at least). :l (THe only canon ships I can even say I support are FranticShipping (from PokeSpe), and Tear/Luke (from Tales of the Abyss))
    Last edited by Seles; 28th April 2013 at 9:04 AM.

“May the stars shine down on you.” - tumblr
    - i've claimed zelos wilder and tales of the abyss

Obliged to support? Not a chance (I do 'ship some canon couples, though). Acknowledge as existing? Always where applicable. ....It's complicated. Depends on the fandom, the circumstances, and the point in the plot my couple might exist in. (Although, this is from an ficwriter's POV.)
    Yaoi is a genre of homosexuality, not a synonym for it!
    Get it right.
    Hidden Leaf - Natane || Hayato - Wing Master || Phantom Menace - Matsuba || Renbu - Holy Knight

shipping tumblr / Shippers Record Keeper of BMGf / Massive Collection of Unnamed 'Ships

Nope! I love my crack ships, it doesn't matter if they might never happen. I don't deny the canon...But sometimes some canon ships don't feel so canon to me.

I do love some canon ships though, but it takes a lot for me to love them. I want canon ships that keep me guessing and for me to ask for more. A lot of canon ships I dislike feel forced, shallow, or just boring.

Well if the pairing makes sense for them personality-wise, I support the canon ships. But if I can see them having greater chemistry with another character then I would support a ship in that direction. But it doesn't extend to just that...if I see that the relationship the character has is not potentially romantic I tend to exclude the possibility of a ship in that direction.

My Naruto OTP is NarutoxTayuya.....so no, even if it's never going to happen I still love the pairings I ship more than canon, I mean I still to this day support Harry and Hermiony and even Harry and Luna

Be polite, Be efficient, have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Well, yes. When I ship, I back my pairings with sufficient evidence AND pay attention to the story. Though I must say I was quite surprised to see that Harry ended up with Ginny. I don't exactly know how they developed a relationship like that (I don't pay enough attention to Harry Potter and am not really a fan, I just watched the movies and read some of the first book). Naturally, I thought Harry would end up with Hermione.

If there is no real canon ship in a franchise, I just back it up with evidence and ship it.

3DS Friend Code: 2337-4608-0376
    Most Recent Shiny: - 868 eggs | Current Hunt:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast