Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: It's not THAT Bad

I guess you could maybe say Street Fighter x Tekken isn't complete garbage... maybe...

xxx

Quote Originally Posted by Lamia View Post
    I guess you could maybe say Street Fighter x Tekken isn't complete garbage... maybe...
    8-9/10s across the board is not bad. The game at it's core is pretty decent, it's just additional content and the lack of online-tag team matches in the 360 version that people complain about, and rightfully so.
    Last edited by Ampy; 10th November 2012 at 7:01 AM.

Duke Nukem Forever and the Mario Party games on the Gamecube.

Quote Originally Posted by Ampy View Post
    8-9/10s across the board is not bad. The game at it's core is pretty great, it's just additional content and the lack of online-tag team matches in the 360 version that people complain about, and rightfully so.
    Reviews aren't that meaningful. Reviewers do readily give good reviews to bad games over franchise recognition or what basically amounts to payola.
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

The usual links

Quote Originally Posted by Cenobitic View Post
    Reviews aren't that meaningful. Reviewers do readily give good reviews to bad games over franchise recognition or what basically amounts to payola.
    I agree with this. It's a very exciting concept for a fighting game, but the fighting game community generally thinks it was a failure compared to games like Street Fighter IV. And I'm not too sure about the core of the game being great either, it's a lot more scrub friendly imo. But as I said, it may not be complete garbage...

xxx

Quote Originally Posted by blaze boy View Post
    inb4Sonic06
    Sonic 06
    Shadow
    Black Knight

Even though it ain't out yet,Playstation All-Stars just because of all the crap it's getting for being a Smash Bros. "ripoff" along with the roster which ain't even bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Born Better View Post
    Sonic 06
    Shadow
    Black Knight

Even though it ain't out yet,Playstation All-Stars just because of all the crap it's getting for being a Smash Bros. "ripoff" along with the roster which ain't even bad.
    You can make better posts than this.
    Last.fm | Steam IDNostalgia

Quote Originally Posted by GreatGonzales View Post
    YuGiOh: The Falsebound kingdom.

I'm serious.
    I bought this during my Yu-Gi-Oh phase, I hated it but the rpg elements grew on me.

Sonic 06
    Stop this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rezzo View Post
    You can make better posts than this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    Stop this.
    No,I'm serious.

Sonic Free Riders. A lot of people can't even get past the game's controls and just bash the game without getting to fully enjoy it. Which, really, it's not the game's fault. The problem is it's on Kinect, a motion control system that is very finicky to various conditions that makes it difficult. In particular, lighting and room space are an issue. In the end, if you fail to do your research on what it would take to make it work, it's your own fault for not getting to fully experience it. At any rate, if you can get past the controls, you'll see it's actually a pretty well designed game. Actually, the Riders series in general is pretty underrated, it's one of the most unique and fun racing series I've ever seen, and has loads of potential to be great.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

Shadow of The Colossus and the Okami series are games that deserve more recognition.
    3DS FC: 1762-3779-2632
    I have claimed Empoleon, Rosalina, and Super Mario Galaxy!
    Pokégyms

Quote Originally Posted by TheEliteEmpoleon View Post
    Shadow of The Colossus
    Why does everyone think Shadow of the Colossus is underrated or bad? It's actually got quite a large following and is considered to be one of the best uses of art in video games by a hell of a lot of people.

Maybe they mean Ico? I've heard that game is really underrated and doesn't get enough praise.

I actually haven't played that game myself. Sad considering I own the HD collection of SotC/Ico.

Ico is still a highly praised game, the point of this thread is to discuss games that get looked down upon that people think deserve more credit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    on Kinect, .
    That's the problem

Quote Originally Posted by TheEliteEmpoleon View Post
    Shadow of The Colossus and the Okami series are games that deserve more recognition.
    Quote Originally Posted by Un0va View Post
    Why does everyone think Shadow of the Colossus is underrated or bad? It's actually got quite a large following and is considered to be one of the best uses of art in video games by a hell of a lot of people.
    All three of these get loads of praise and ever since Playstation All-Stars was announce,I've noticed Ico and Shadow of the Colossus have gotten lots of attention.

Free Riders only problem with me is the Kinect's bad motion sensors, another reason why I think Wii did it better. Sonic Free Riders as stated above isn't bad, I mean it looks pretty (mainly because it's HD finally), the voice acting is once again pretty solid on many levels. And gameplay is good, but controls argh!
    3DS FC: 3652-1012-6122
    Dark Pit isn't that bad of an inclusion, you'll get over it trust me.

Quote Originally Posted by Shen Sorein View Post
    WOw, this is honestly...disappointing. My favorite game of all time (you freakin' heard me) is that despised by people like these? Makes me sad.

Yes, I am personally including XIII in this list (not the first, but certainly gonna elaborate on it), and I did NOT hate the linearity of the game. If you pay some attention to the plot, it makes sense in context. Your characters are l'Cie, and that makes them kill-on-sight targets across the entire PLANET. So what sense would it make to have for the world to be open-ended and you get to enter any area you want at any time when there is a sense of urgency to get your as.s moving because you are criminals on the run, hm? Yes, there could have been a system where the military forces are tracking your movements and is getting closer, but that would have been repetitive and convoluted in practice, so the "limited hallway" thing did not irritate me. Because yes, story does matter to me a crapton, and gameplay matching the storyline even moreso.

Speaking of gameplay, let's get into that, shall we? Good lord, I loved the battle system, it was a breath of fresh air. No, it wasn't my favorite battle system, which is the style used in the Kingdom Hearts main games. This was similar, though, you take control of one lead and have two supporters, and when your supporters go down you can revive them, but when you do down, game over. Sure, made things a bit difficult, but that made it plenty exciting. And it helped the AI was actually pretty intelligent in battle. That's a sentence I never would have thought to say for many games at all, and you all know why. The lack of levelling was another good boon, I kinda liked the Crystarium. Grinding mattered less and it was even moreso a role of strategy and timing in battles. Can't tell you how many tough boss battles I lost all because of being a single second late on using potions. But that's the nature of the game, and it's so cool in my opinion.

As for characters, well...Lightning started off as a Cloud-Strife-with-boobs, so I admit she was not my favorite starting out, but she did eventually start having a personality and I enjoyed getting to bring her out of that shell. Sazh...everyone loves the Token Black Shooter Guy. And boy was he funny...and had the single most shocking scene in the game. An odd combo that worked with his character. Snow? He got annoying with the "HERO!" bullcrap, but he wised up eventually...sorta. Fang? Sexy Aussie chick with a spear, and everything about her kicked as.s. Bahamut, please . Hope? Yes, started off an annoying-wangst character, but after his failed attempt at killing Snow (I enjoyed that scene a ton, by the way), he started getting a LOT better. And Vanille? She...well...she's quirky, sometimes ya like her, sometimes she gets on your nerves. I'm the more forgiving gamer in that category, so I didn't let her ruin the game for me at any time.

***SPOILER ALERT***

Aaaaaand we get to the storyline. Yes, you have to play it through to make sense of it. But it was great, and terrifying. It split up the events leading up to the actual beginning throughout the story, making playing through further to earn those extra story points worth it for some people (like me). Once you got enough of the pieces you could certainly start putting the puzzle together...and then extra stuff shatters the puzzle because the pieces don't fit quite so well anymore and you need extra pieces.

I liked this storyline. There are few storylines I like where the good guys are hunted criminals without a chance in hell of succeeding. That's because most of the time the heroes in those stories pull off escapes or victories out their asses. Not aaaasss true with this one, considering they were purely puppets the entire time and their escapes and victories were a combination of their own skills, granted powers from being l'Cie, demi-godly meddling, and damn awesome luck. And considering the bad guys actually WON, that the good guys, for all their efforts, could do nothing but play right into their hands, was a little terrifying. And yes, their wish was denied. But I don't believe it was really a deus ex machina. They'd had that destiny all those centuries from the Pulse Fal'cie that conscripted them (so to speak). It was a final "f--- you!" from Pulse to Cocoon in a way, for their goal to be so close and yet ripped away from them after they'd been terminated. And it brought humans back to Pulse when the last of them had been killed off many centuries before, so it'd help in the long run, I'm sure.

(For the record, I have not played XIII-2 and might not, dunno.)

The way the storyline was executed was fast-paced at the right moments, and relaxed when I felt I needed a break from running for my life. Of course, oftentimes the "running for my life" part would show up extremely soon after a relaxing part began anyway, so it kept me on my toes. Very little of the story seemed at all out of place in my opinion, once I had all the puzzle pieces in place.

IN CONCLUSION...

No, as much as my arguments might seem, this was not a perfect game, far from it. But it was certainly my favorite game (read: favorite, not best). because of the character development, the insanely fun battle system, the addicting graphics engine, and the storyline I loved to follow to see what craziness would happen next. It was satisfying, to me. I felt a sense of accomplishment by finishing the game, and that alone makes it worth playing for me. If I feel accomplished in a game, it was worth the many hours I put into it.

So I do feel the bad rap the game's gotten is a little undeserved. Everyone wanted it to be another FFVII or something, with the same overused styles and fallbacks: airships, open-world maps, experience and leveling up, and a 'go at your own pace' thing. This one dared to be different, and I am one of the few ones proud to applaud it for this. It was entertaining, sexy to look at with those graphics, and fun to keep going back into.

But I do have one thing to say...wtf were they thinking making Shiva into the Shiva sisters...that come together to form a bike? That really seems a little far to me, even with all the other summons and their 'vehicle mode' options.
    Not much I can add to this. Pretty much what I have been saying for the longest time. Well done.
    My deviantArt

U mad bro?

I feel that RTS games are looked down on by the general public, games like Command & Conquer and Halo Wars. I've even heard that someone said that Halo Wars isn't worthy of the title "game"! Well screw them, I like the game. Halo ODST was looked down upon, but I like it. People need to be more tolerant with games. I wish people would be into the true goodness of some games.
    Nothing interesting here. Carry on.
    Author's Profile

That's the problem
    I know it is. But like I said in the last post, people don't bother looking past the bad controls and completely ignore the gameplay, which is actually quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBattleFrontierAsh1 View Post
    Free Riders only problem with me is the Kinect's bad motion sensors, another reason why I think Wii did it better. Sonic Free Riders as stated above isn't bad, I mean it looks pretty (mainly because it's HD finally), the voice acting is once again pretty solid on many levels. And gameplay is good, but controls argh!
    I don't think Free Riders would've worked as well on something like Wii or Move, it's harder to do without being able to detect full body movement.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

Shadowrun

This is one of my favourite games and none of my Friends have heard about it and it's a really good fast paced Multiplayer fps.

Has anyone else heard of it?
    [IMG]http://i39.*******.com/nlr2pt.png[/IMG]
    May the flame burn forever
    [IMG]http://oi43.*******.com/2mfjeow.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://oi42.*******.com/25ytxjt.jpg[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Un0va View Post
    Because at least some of the "video games = art" people also consider Bayonetta high on that "best uses of art in video games" scale -- at least, the ones that I know.

Alternately, they hadn't heard of it until that collection and therefore reason it must be underappreciated.
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

The usual links

Urban reign for the ps2. I'd like to think that people who review the game just don't give it enough time to get all the moves/weapons unlocked. There is nothing about the game that tries to be anything but what it is, a game where you can KICK SOME *****, but has a great mario-esque difficulty in it(as in its hard but you can tell that its your fault for not winning)

Any review I've ever seen complains about two things, the locking on to enemies, and the story. The locking onto enemies is just made up from what I can tell, because I would have had my butt handed to me 8000 times over it didn't work. As for story...its a beat em' up, not sure what they were expecting. And, oddly enough, its interesting if you add it all up.

------------------

Second one, as much as I'm sick of ff discussion already, I'm going to say FF12 too. I played it the first time as a hardened final fantasy player, and detested it. What the heck was I playing? A game where you wander around letting the game battle for you?

But down the line I gave it another shot, and when you play it as a standalone game, you can realize the real beauty of it. Just how deep the made the story, and the variation in the areas they built. More then anything, they built this incredibly unique battle system that makes long battles truly an enjoyable experience. The graphics are second to none on the ps2, honestly the best I've seen which says a lot, especially when you consider the sheer size of buildings and amount of npcs.

It's only flaw is character development, but I think they actually took into account with all the side missions and "hunts", that you almost gain insight into the characters simply through playing with all of them for such a long time.

------------

Lastly, can all this shadow of the Collosus end now. I don't know a single person who has EVER called it bad, which is the purpose of this topic. Secondly, whoever said the game doesn't focus on gameplay needs to be forced to be in a solitary room with nothing but an N-gage to play. I'd never spent 2 bucks on anything because it was art, but I'd pay the full 50 bucks for SOTC because it had one of THE best gameplays introduced. I mean, a puzzle game is one thing, but the fact that because of its nature you can still lose after you figured it out? Ingenious, and more importantly fun.
    ----------------------------------

FFCB Yes it is a FF game and Yes it is not a RPG but the game is not bad. It's one of my favorite wii games. sure it has a few issues but all in all it's a fun game I think the Wii U could improve upon with a sequel which may be coming due to the ending

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    I know it is. But like I said in the last post, people don't bother looking past the bad controls and completely ignore the gameplay, which is actually quite good.
    This makes no sense. Controls are what make it possible to play the game. They are the gameplay.
    Last edited by Ampy; 19th November 2012 at 1:58 AM.

No idea what rating this game had, but Hot Wheels: Burnin' Rubber on the GBA was a nice little title. The gameplay had a fair amount of repetition in it, but there were a few cars to choose from and the tracks were decently designed. That said, Hot Wheels: Turbo Racing was an awesome game too!

Velocity X was crap though. The AI was an absolute joke, even on the hardest difficulty setting. Still had fun concepts and good gameplay though. It's just a shame that actually playing the game was one of the simplest walks in the park I've ever experienced in a game in my entire life.
    Last.fm | Steam IDNostalgia

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast