Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: It's not THAT Bad

This is true for almost every Digimon game. People always seem to hate on them because they're not as good as Pokemon games, but they're still good games in their own right.

I'm also a big fan of Digimon World 2, which seems to get a lot of hate from fans of the first Digimon World. It's a tile-based dungeon crawler like Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, but it has a bigger emphasis on traps and obstacles.

Brink would have been a hell of a lot better if it had actually had more than one gamemode per map.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cometk View Post
    call of duty
    Quote Originally Posted by mariobrosvswariobros View Post
    THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!
    c
    Get out

Quote Originally Posted by BritishWeavile View Post
    Shadow of the colossus. Nobody likes or even heard of it.
    Is this literally a joke?

Like, I'm not even being sarcastic.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFlame View Post
    This is true for almost every Digimon game. People always seem to hate on them because they're not as good as Pokemon games, but they're still good games in their own right.

I'm also a big fan of Digimon World 2, which seems to get a lot of hate from fans of the first Digimon World. It's a tile-based dungeon crawler like Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, but it has a bigger emphasis on traps and obstacles.
    Agreed.

The Digimon games are actually a fun JRPG that set itself differently from the Pokémon series.

Quote Originally Posted by Un0va View Post

He seem to think the game is bad because it got a "9.7/10" in a review.

"Now Count up your Sins"- Kamen Rider W

Quote Originally Posted by Clamps View Post
    And here we have GAMEFREAK EMPLOYEE Blaze Boy confirming once again that Red/Blue/Yellow/Green/ and Gold/Silver/Crystal will not be on the 3DS virtual console E-shop!

You heard it hear first, folks.
    ^ Best post ever.

twitter: http://twitter.com/SamuraiDon

Brink would have been a hell of a lot better if it had actually had more than one gamemode per map.

Get out

It's not GOOD it's just not BAD.

Quote Originally Posted by Will-powered Spriter View Post
    I quite like Sonic and the Black Knight.

Possibly the only person though.
    Sonic and the Black Knight is one of my favourite Sonic games. I don't really play Sonic though.

Also, Call of Duty. I mean it. Yes, it's overrated, and 99.9% of the internet hates it somehow, but it's not THAT bad, I actually really like it.
    I claim Larvitar!

the zelda ds games seem to get hate, but spirit tracks improved greatly from phantom hourglass.

Quote Originally Posted by SapphireIris View Post
    Tales of Legendia. ...Am I the only person who really likes it? T+T
    This world really needs more Tales fans. Seriously, I loved that game, if even for the music alone.

Quote Originally Posted by blaze boy View Post
    Because the Game Cube port of Sonic Adventure DX is bad compare to the Dream cast version.

-The glitches in the Dream cast version aren't fixed.
    -There are more glitches in the DX version.
    -The graphic pales compare to the Dream Cast version.
    - The word "DX" (Director's Cut) is a bit of a lie since none of the original concept that was planned for the Dream Cast version is in the DX version.
    -Wouldn't that make the original bad?
    -None which really hinder gameplay.
    -This isn't true at all
    -This isn't even a valid complaint.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFlame View Post

I haven't played many digimon games, but I REALLY liked the one I did play...It was Digimon world DS I believe. 3 on 3 digimon battles?
    I liked the level up system quite a bit as well...

And as some mentioned battle network before hand, I say starforce. I loved those games, So freaken much <3... (Its probably my favorite game besides Pokemon games.)
    When refering to learning..."In other words, groups are not where ideas are born. Groups are where ideas are evaluated."
    My eyes! (my eyes!) are filled with curiosity! You think! (You think!) that you have power over me! In this life! (This life!) There’s no room for you and me! So turn around and face the day with me!
    Such a sexy song. Urgh.

Shadow the Hedgehog.
    I have claimed Marcus Fenix
    Quote Originally Posted by MugoUrth View Post
    THE BULLIES ALWAYS WIN!!!
    Last.fm

Spore Creatures.

People complain it's too easy-which it is, but creating creatures with the different parts and testing them is addictive for me.
    But you have to admit, for a part-time Nazi

He's freaking hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Jolteon91 View Post
    The Legend of Zelda games on the CD-i.... Nope, I couldn't even type that with a straight face.
    those cheesy freakin cutscenes -_-
    † I am a Christian, and not ashamed to admit it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

Quote Originally Posted by Cometk View Post
    call of duty
    Excluding MW3. That game deserves everything it gets, except for positive reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Kingdom of Earth~ View Post
    Okami and/or Okamiden.
    Quote Originally Posted by BritishWeavile View Post
    Shadow of the colossus. Nobody likes or even heard of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Todoserugi View Post
    the soul series. at least where i live nobody has even heard of it.
    No, you people are doing this horribly wrong. Just because a game isn't popular/didn't sell well that doesn't make it bad. That just make it unpopular. Those games are all fantastic and were given great reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Rezzo View Post
    Final Fantasy XIII
    I actually kind of liked Final Fantasy XIII. The story was pretty crap but I enjoyed the new battle system and the visuals were incredible. I didn't mind too much that it was linear either, I mean the beginning of VI was fairly linear and that's easily my favourite game in the franchise. I think maintaining power balance in a linear-ish RPG like Final Fantasy XIII would be fairly difficult to do. That's because you'd need to make sure the player is having not too many or too few encounters so they don't become overlevelled or underlevelled. So in that way I give it some respect, along with the graphics and battle system they made.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBattleFrontierAsh1 View Post
    Or Superman 64.
    No, Superman 64 fails to deliver in every way.

Digimon World 1. It has some sort of charm or something that would bring me back to it. But it is rather glitchy at times, the primary way to raise Digimon requires brainless grinding, the player has no clue how to get the digimon they want, and there doesn't seem to be enough time to spend with your digimon during its lifespan. I like Digimon World 2 better, but it also leaves the player in the dark a bit when it comes to getting certain digimon and has a bit of grinding at times. I didn't really mind the random dungeon generator part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by mariobrosvswariobros View Post
    It's not GOOD it's just not BAD.
    Shadow of the Colossus isn't supposed to be played for the gameplay, it's supposed to be played for the story, the minimalistic art design, and the quiet message it sends throughout the experience.

If you think it's a bad game you're playing it wrong.

Shadow of the Colossus isn't supposed to be played for the gameplay, it's supposed to be played for the story, the minimalistic art design, and the quiet message it sends throughout the experience.
    I partially disagree. While those other things are it's strong points, I still enjoy the gameplay. Riding your horse around the massive world and fighting gigantic monsters is fuggin' exhilarating.

Final Fantasy XII. Yeah, it had its problems, but I really enjoyed it.
    Nintendo Network ID: MetalVictini

Duke Nukem Forever.

Given, it wasn't nearly as good as the previous Duke games, but it had plenty of great moments that went overlooked. It simply tried to be too much like some other first person shooter games and wasn't enough of the kind of stuff that made Duke great. They really should have stuck to allowing you to carry every weapon, having "stock" health rather than the badly disliked regenerating health, and not make it so linear. If it meant using keycards again with the occasional backtracking through levels, I'd be okay with that. No one ever hated Doom, Descent, and Duke Nukem 3D for that, so there's nothing wrong with it.

Either way, I hope this isn't the end of the Duke Nukem franchise. That would be a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by MetalVictini View Post
    Final Fantasy XII. Yeah, it had its problems, but I really enjoyed it.
    So true. Though most of my love for XII stems from my love for the other Ivalice games.

X-2 wasn't that bad. It had one of the best job systems in a Final Fantasy game.

XIII-2 wasn't that bad either. It had some issues, but it fixed a lot of XIII's major problems and the story was a lot more enjoyable. The ending was also spectacular. I'm glad a Final Fantasy finally went in that direction.

There's no way you guys enjoyed XIII. I hated it so much that I switched its box with a used GameStop game case, so I don't have to be reminded that the most absolute piece of shit jrpg I've ever had the displeasure of playing is laying in my collection.

Though I'm not a major FF fan so might play a role.

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2: Grimoire of the Rift.

I liked this game, I liked it better than the advance version, why? The protagonist was actually bearable and the updated battle system was much better than before. But could be equally brutal if you don't play properly.

Also, hooray for Ivalice! And Vann wears a shirt in this game, and is recruitable alongside Hurdy, Penelo, Al-Cid and Montblanc.
        Spoiler:- Want my Friend Code?:

I don't care if Final Fantasy XIII gets better later on in the game, there's is absolutely no reason that quite a large chunk of the game should be just straight hallways with fixed amount of enemies.

I remember enjoying Mario Party Advance a lot, but a lot of people seem to hate it... maybe just my nostalgia speaking here though.

Mario Party games. When you are young and don't know better, those mini games are awesome! When you get older though, they lose their charm.

Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman/Colonel

Though I would admit it was my first MMBN game. But I had fun playing this game. The story did suck and the music was awesome. I was very addicted to the battle system and it's missions. I can see why people hated it because it was basically the same thing since the last 4 games. Although I can't argue because I didn't play neither of them. But I think having a team was clever.

Btw I owned the Team Protoman one. Oh I wish I could find it again.

I probably sold it. :3
    'Murica

Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    There's no way you guys enjoyed XIII. I hated it so much that I switched its box with a used GameStop game case, so I don't have to be reminded that the most absolute piece of shit jrpg I've ever had the displeasure of playing is laying in my collection.

Though I'm not a major FF fan so might play a role.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ampy View Post
    I don't care if Final Fantasy XIII gets better later on in the game, there's is absolutely no reason that quite a large chunk of the game should be just straight hallways with fixed amount of enemies.
    WOw, this is honestly...disappointing. My favorite game of all time (you freakin' heard me) is that despised by people like these? Makes me sad.

Yes, I am personally including XIII in this list (not the first, but certainly gonna elaborate on it), and I did NOT hate the linearity of the game. If you pay some attention to the plot, it makes sense in context. Your characters are l'Cie, and that makes them kill-on-sight targets across the entire PLANET. So what sense would it make to have for the world to be open-ended and you get to enter any area you want at any time when there is a sense of urgency to get your as.s moving because you are criminals on the run, hm? Yes, there could have been a system where the military forces are tracking your movements and is getting closer, but that would have been repetitive and convoluted in practice, so the "limited hallway" thing did not irritate me. Because yes, story does matter to me a crapton, and gameplay matching the storyline even moreso.

Speaking of gameplay, let's get into that, shall we? Good lord, I loved the battle system, it was a breath of fresh air. No, it wasn't my favorite battle system, which is the style used in the Kingdom Hearts main games. This was similar, though, you take control of one lead and have two supporters, and when your supporters go down you can revive them, but when you do down, game over. Sure, made things a bit difficult, but that made it plenty exciting. And it helped the AI was actually pretty intelligent in battle. That's a sentence I never would have thought to say for many games at all, and you all know why. The lack of levelling was another good boon, I kinda liked the Crystarium. Grinding mattered less and it was even moreso a role of strategy and timing in battles. Can't tell you how many tough boss battles I lost all because of being a single second late on using potions. But that's the nature of the game, and it's so cool in my opinion.

As for characters, well...Lightning started off as a Cloud-Strife-with-boobs, so I admit she was not my favorite starting out, but she did eventually start having a personality and I enjoyed getting to bring her out of that shell. Sazh...everyone loves the Token Black Shooter Guy. And boy was he funny...and had the single most shocking scene in the game. An odd combo that worked with his character. Snow? He got annoying with the "HERO!" bullcrap, but he wised up eventually...sorta. Fang? Sexy Aussie chick with a spear, and everything about her kicked as.s. Bahamut, please . Hope? Yes, started off an annoying-wangst character, but after his failed attempt at killing Snow (I enjoyed that scene a ton, by the way), he started getting a LOT better. And Vanille? She...well...she's quirky, sometimes ya like her, sometimes she gets on your nerves. I'm the more forgiving gamer in that category, so I didn't let her ruin the game for me at any time.

***SPOILER ALERT***

Aaaaaand we get to the storyline. Yes, you have to play it through to make sense of it. But it was great, and terrifying. It split up the events leading up to the actual beginning throughout the story, making playing through further to earn those extra story points worth it for some people (like me). Once you got enough of the pieces you could certainly start putting the puzzle together...and then extra stuff shatters the puzzle because the pieces don't fit quite so well anymore and you need extra pieces.

I liked this storyline. There are few storylines I like where the good guys are hunted criminals without a chance in hell of succeeding. That's because most of the time the heroes in those stories pull off escapes or victories out their asses. Not aaaasss true with this one, considering they were purely puppets the entire time and their escapes and victories were a combination of their own skills, granted powers from being l'Cie, demi-godly meddling, and damn awesome luck. And considering the bad guys actually WON, that the good guys, for all their efforts, could do nothing but play right into their hands, was a little terrifying. And yes, their wish was denied. But I don't believe it was really a deus ex machina. They'd had that destiny all those centuries from the Pulse Fal'cie that conscripted them (so to speak). It was a final "f--- you!" from Pulse to Cocoon in a way, for their goal to be so close and yet ripped away from them after they'd been terminated. And it brought humans back to Pulse when the last of them had been killed off many centuries before, so it'd help in the long run, I'm sure.

(For the record, I have not played XIII-2 and might not, dunno.)

The way the storyline was executed was fast-paced at the right moments, and relaxed when I felt I needed a break from running for my life. Of course, oftentimes the "running for my life" part would show up extremely soon after a relaxing part began anyway, so it kept me on my toes. Very little of the story seemed at all out of place in my opinion, once I had all the puzzle pieces in place.

IN CONCLUSION...

No, as much as my arguments might seem, this was not a perfect game, far from it. But it was certainly my favorite game (read: favorite, not best). because of the character development, the insanely fun battle system, the addicting graphics engine, and the storyline I loved to follow to see what craziness would happen next. It was satisfying, to me. I felt a sense of accomplishment by finishing the game, and that alone makes it worth playing for me. If I feel accomplished in a game, it was worth the many hours I put into it.

So I do feel the bad rap the game's gotten is a little undeserved. Everyone wanted it to be another FFVII or something, with the same overused styles and fallbacks: airships, open-world maps, experience and leveling up, and a 'go at your own pace' thing. This one dared to be different, and I am one of the few ones proud to applaud it for this. It was entertaining, sexy to look at with those graphics, and fun to keep going back into.

But I do have one thing to say...wtf were they thinking making Shiva into the Shiva sisters...that come together to form a bike? That really seems a little far to me, even with all the other summons and their 'vehicle mode' options.
    Click the banner to check out my Pokémon fanfic, Reflections!

Thanks to Comexback from PE2K for the banner!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast