Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: It's not THAT Bad

I had HW: Velocity X for the GCN. I found some fun out of it. The Hot Wheels Prototype sucked though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ampy View Post
    This makes no sense. Controls are what make it possible to play the game. They are the gameplay.
    No they're not. Controls are only part of the gameplay. I'm talking about the gameplay mechanics, the "rules" of the game if you will.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    No they're not. Controls are only part of the gameplay. I'm talking about the gameplay mechanics, the "rules" of the game if you will.

On the mechanics, I haven't played the game(I wanted to since I do enjoy the Riders series but lol buying a Kinect), so I'll just take your word for it. But the controls are still a very important part of the gameplay. You can't have great gameplay if you have awful controls.
    Last edited by Josef Stylin; 20th November 2012 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullkid View Post
    On the mechanics, I haven't played the game(I wanted to since I do enjoy the Riders series but lol buying a Kinect), so I'll just take your word for it. But the controls are still a very important part of the gameplay. You can't have great gameplay if you have awful controls.
    @Bolt the Cat... sorry this is basically what I meant, my wording was a tad off, this guy got it down better :P

Put my Wii away when I got my Wii U the other day and found Super Mario Sunshine in the basement...I didn't play Arkham City that night. I can see why the fans nitpick this one though, the controls aren't as smooth as 64, the camera angle's super annoying, and the blue coins are dreadful to find. Nonetheless, as the first title in the Super Mario franchise I ever owned, I had a good time and played the heck out of it for 3 hours straight.
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

my "not that bad" game would be Golden Axe: Beast Rider. All the reviews I've seen give it 2's or 3's.

Now i only rented it for a week, and this was almost a year ago, but from what i remember it wasn't that awful.

Its kind of like a not-as-good God of war, Basically you run around and kill everything in site.

I don't pay attention to a games story that often, but in this you are trying to rescue the last titan for something.

I'd Definitely play it again if my rental store didn't remove it to make room for new games.
    Last edited by pikasaur; 22nd November 2012 at 3:42 AM.

Kirby's Dreamland 3 is a lot better than people give it credit for. People unfavorably compare it to Superstar, but I find it to be the superior game. I love the textures in the graphics, the slower more relaxed pace and the weird attack combinations you can experiment with.

King of Fighters Maximum Impact 2 seems to get bashed on a lot too, mostly because it's a 3d (2.5d technically) game in a primarily 2d fighting franchise. But I honestly think it's pretty fun. It may not play the tightest, but it's a great hybrid between 2d fighter special moves and 3d fighter combos. I also really love the large number of unlockable outfits in the game. The maximum impact subseries has gotten a little more love since it was canned completely, but that praise mostly went to Maximum Impact Regulation A, which doesn't have all the extra features 2 does.
    Last edited by Zazie; 25th November 2012 at 4:53 AM.

Watch me tumble stuff:
    http://catharsiscat.tumblr.com/

NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams. Pales in comparison to the original Nights, but for a game that was in development since the Dreamcast Era, it turned out much better than Duke Nukem Forever did.

Blinx: The Time Sweeper 1 & 2. Confusing controls, but fun as hell to play.

Oh hai SPPf /ovgd/

Lester the Unlikely.

No, sorry, sorry. I was actually laughing as I typed that. But on a serious note, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. I don't know about you guys, but all my friends who are elder scrolls fans didn't like it. I have no idea as to why. It was great. Massive, unending, entertaining.
    I have claimed Alduin, the mighty dragon! He shall one day return to bring forth the end of time, and fulfill the prophecy of the world eater.

ZombiU. I don't know why everybody keeps saying it's too hard, it's an ACTUAL zombie survival game, unlike L4D2 which, while awesome, is more of a zombie shooter action game, where you can refill on ammo constantly, find weapons everywhere, and is just generally easier (until you fight tanks. Another story). ZombiU makes you search for a freaking kricket bat, while ammo is scarce, there;s like one assault rifle in the entire game, and food only heals about 1/8 of your health.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatGonzales View Post
    YuGiOh: The Falsebound kingdom.

I'm serious.
    I love you.

I enjoyed this game as well. The combat was really good (in my opinion). I'd like to be able to find this game one of these days, and experience the nostalgia of the original series again.

I have claimed Alucard (Hellsing), Sebastian (Kuroshitsuji), and Laguna Loire (Final Fantasy VIII).
    Hellsing, Street Fighter, The Elder Scrolls, Dangan Ronpa, Bleach, Homestuck, Black Butler, and Puella Magi Madoka Magica fan.
    Sig made by Izagar.
    3DS FC: 3738 0398 8876 Mikan
    Friend Safari: Ground (Wooper, Camerupt, and Palpitoad)

Quote Originally Posted by Mister_SGG View Post
    Actually I'm back b/c I plugged in my amp and playing one note when my grandpa came in and told me to stfu

So now I'm just sitting here stroking my guitar while naked

This isn't really a game example, but the Bioshock Infinite box art. The fact that this is a "controversy" makes me laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by noobers View Post
    This isn't really a game example, but the Bioshock Infinite box art. The fact that this is a "controversy" makes me laugh.
    It's stupid. He's clearly holding down the trigger; the gun should be firing behind him, but it's not. WHY

New Little King's Story(Not sure if it's widely hated, but not exactly kindest reception)
    Metroid: Other M
    All the other kids with the pumped up kicks you better run, better run...

If you want to see my Event Pokemon, PM me

If you believe in Jesus Christ put this in your profile and don't just ignore this, because in the Bible it says,
    If you deny me, I will deny you in front of my Father at the gates of Heaven.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

Quote Originally Posted by empoleon49 View Post
    Metroid: Other M
    I played a demo of Other M and found the 3D controls really clunky. Also, IDK that melee combat is a good direction for the series to go in, I'd prefer a 3D FPS/FPA like Prime.
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

The Donkey Kong Country GBA ports. Still troubled, but not to the extent I was led to believe. Would still rather play the SNES versions, though.

Quote Originally Posted by NintendoCoke View Post
    ZombiU. I don't know why everybody keeps saying it's too hard, it's an ACTUAL zombie survival game, unlike L4D2 which, while awesome, is more of a zombie shooter action game, where you can refill on ammo constantly, find weapons everywhere, and is just generally easier (until you fight tanks. Another story). ZombiU makes you search for a freaking kricket bat, while ammo is scarce, there;s like one assault rifle in the entire game, and food only heals about 1/8 of your health.
    Probably because most people prefer a game where the odds are reasonably in your favor, at least in terms of a scenario. (Also the Tanks are fairly easy outside the higher difficulties or places where you find cars.) Also, probably because they want to play a zombie shooter, not a zombie survival game. People who play Left 4 Dead are typically not the same audience who plays, say, Resident Evil or other survival-horror games, or at least doesn't play one when they're in the mood for the other's genre.

Also, I think a lot of "hardcore gamers" look at the Wii U as a gimmick system, the way they probably did the Wii and 3/DS when they came out.

I played a demo of Other M and found the 3D controls really clunky. Also, IDK that melee combat is a good direction for the series to go in, I'd prefer a 3D FPS/FPA like Prime.
    Or maybe a 2.5D variant on the Super Metroid formula?
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

The usual links

Quote Originally Posted by Phlogiston View Post
    Or maybe a 2.5D variant on the Super Metroid formula?
    Never played Super Metroid (although I'd love to someday), but if it's anything like Fusion, then I'd be okay with that. I'd still prefer something in 3D over 2.5, though.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Kingdom of Earth~ View Post
    Okami and/or Okamiden.
    No. Saying Okami is looked down on is a pure lie. Pretty much everyone (Except JohnScorcher who still respects the game at the least) who has ever talked about it seems to heap nothing but praise on it and it is very well known. It sold poorly, yes, but thanks to GamesRadar's love of the game and general good reception once people learned about it, you cannot truthfully say it is underrated. And I hated the games-I will admit-the art style is not good in my opinion, it is far too easy to get lost, most of the gods seem to really just be the same bipolar dork-then-proper with a slightly different trait and different species, I didn't much like ANY of the characters, and it really isn't all that fun. Okay, add me to the list of people who don't heap praise on this game, but it is still a very small list not counting trolls.

Sorry, I take back what I said about not liking any of the characters. I did like some of the characters, just not most of them. THe dogs were pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by AquaWarrior View Post
    Shadow of the colossus. Nobody likes or even heard of it.
    Again, no. It is a very well known game. Again, it started out small and bad selling, but word of mouth spread and now it is very well known and beloved. Again, I don't much like this one. The gameplay feels weird, the atmosphere is too desolate and depressing, the ending is really cruel, and it quickly becomes clear that the Colossus aren't evil beasts or anything while you don't actually get to learn about the love interest so at least for me it was weird killing large creatures just trying to protect themselves to revive a shallow love interest. No, I take it back, she isn't shallow, because that would imply there was at least a little there, no she was pretty much a prop until the end. And before anyone says 'Well that was the point of the game' or anything, that is not an excuse to stop someone from disliking it.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFlame View Post
    This is true for almost every Digimon game. People always seem to hate on them because they're not as good as Pokemon games, but they're still good games in their own right.

I'm also a big fan of Digimon World 2, which seems to get a lot of hate from fans of the first Digimon World. It's a tile-based dungeon crawler like Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, but it has a bigger emphasis on traps and obstacles.
    I agree. Admittedly, a lot of Digimon games do have major flaws, but they are good games in their own rights.
    Last edited by CuriousHeartless; 21st December 2012 at 4:58 PM.

I just played Sonic and the Blacknight, and I'm going to admit that I liked it. It certainly wasn't revolutionary by any means, but I had fun playing it. Sometimes it's fun to just run around and jump, not every game is going to be an Adventure 1 and 2.

Also, Mysims. I will admit that it's an incredibly childish game, but that doesn't mean that it isn't a good game. It's a fun way to be creative, especially if you just like building and customizing things. Not every game has to be for hardcore gamers, some can indeed just be to relax and unwind.
    even if we don't understand each other, that's not a reason to reject each other. There are two sides to any argument. Is there one point of view that has all the answers? Give it some thought.
    ^ This is the reason why I like arguing. If I come off as standoffish or overly angry in an argument, don't worry. I'm probably having the time of my life. Whether I agree with them or not, the pokemon fandom has a lot of different opinions, and I love how nobody is afraid to share them.

I don't understand why people don't like shadow the hedgehog
    completed challenge
    leaf green scramble

If you believe in Jesus Christ put this in your profile and don't just ignore this, because in the Bible it says, ‘If you deny me, I will deny you in front of my Father in the gates of Heaven'

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousHeartless View Post
    Again, no. It is a very well known game. Again, it started out small and bad selling, but word of mouth spread and now it is very well known and beloved. Again, I don't much like this one. The gameplay feels weird, the atmosphere is too desolate and depressing, the ending is really cruel, and it quickly becomes clear that the Colossus aren't evil beasts or anything while you don't actually get to learn about the love interest so at least for me it was weird killing large creatures just trying to protect themselves to revive a shallow love interest. No, I take it back, she isn't shallow, because that would imply there was at least a little there, no she was pretty much a prop until the end. And before anyone says 'Well that was the point of the game' or anything, that is not an excuse to stop someone from disliking it.
    That was all intentional, it was meant to make you think about your actions and why everything played out the way it did. It's a little like Spec Ops: The Line and Hotline Miami - It's not supposed to make you feel good, or to have a happy ending, or even a complete resolution. It's supposed to make you think about the morality of your actions and why everything played out the way it did.

If you didn't like it for those reasons, then you played it right. You're not supposed to like it.

Kirby Air Ride

I've heard so many people say that is a horrible game, but I don't know how that could be! It's one of my favorite games that I've ever had and my sister along with my childhood best friends love playing it. I wish this game had a bit more love. Am I wierd for liking this game?
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

Credit goes to FairyWitch at Flower Paradise Graphics

Fanfic Status: Currently postponed-- Kingdom Hearts: Memories' Reflection. Last updated 8/17/13

Quote Originally Posted by Plus side down side View Post
    I just played Sonic and the Blacknight, and I'm going to admit that I liked it. It certainly wasn't revolutionary by any means, but I had fun playing it. Sometimes it's fun to just run around and jump, not every game is going to be an Adventure 1 and 2.
    The biggest problem with Black Knight was that the motion controls were laggy, it was harder to time your strikes. That, and I found the gameplay to be too slow for my tastes.

And most of the people who think that the Adventure games are the best Sonic games ever are blinded by nostalgia, SA1 and SA2 did much more harm than good to the series.

Quote Originally Posted by noseklig View Post
    I don't understand why people don't like shadow the hedgehog
    It's a pretty good game as far as spinoffs go, but the design needs more work. Most notably situations where your allies are blocking the only path through the level and you're forced to defeat them to progress. Other than that, it's more so the feel of the game that people hate, they think that guns are inappropriate for a Sonic game and that they're trying too hard to be edgy. I disagree, I think it actually works quite well if done right.

The biggest problem with Black Knight was that the motion controls were laggy, it was harder to time your strikes. That, and I found the gameplay to be too slow for my tastes.

And most of the people who think that the Adventure games are the best Sonic games ever are blinded by nostalgia, SA1 and SA2 did much more harm than good to the series.

It's a pretty good game as far as spinoffs go, but the design needs more work. Most notably situations where your allies are blocking the only path through the level and you're forced to defeat them to progress. Other than that, it's more so the feel of the game that people hate, they think that guns are inappropriate for a Sonic game and that they're trying too hard to be edgy. I disagree, I think it actually works quite well if done right.
    I disagree with your statement on the adventure games. While SA 1 and 2 had their fair share of problems ( hit-and miss voice acting, some frustrating levels, stupid driving stages), they are still fun to play today. While I don't play SA 1 that much, SA 2 is my favorite game ever. I think the stories, although they did follow the Monster of the Week formula (SA1 mostly), there was actual character development. It had a good mx of lightheartedness and edginess. While certain gameplay styles were bad ( Big and the SA2 driving stages come to mind), I appreciate the variety. I thought the Tails and Eggman levels in SA2 were pretty good. I understand where you may be coming from, but I feel that they were good games that showed that Sonic could thrive in 3d. ( Then Shadow the Hedgehog came along and F**ked that up badly)
    My FC is 1506 8504 1063

Pokemon Black team: The sixth spot is for whatever I feel like using at the time.

Looking for:

Pm me If you have any of these and I'll see if we can work something out.

My favorite Pokemon:

Shinies:

A man once told me I can't have my cake and eat it too. I then proceeded to eat not only my cake but his as well.

What if the stickers are the only things made in China?

Quote Originally Posted by LordLucario21 View Post
    I disagree with your statement on the adventure games. While SA 1 and 2 had their fair share of problems ( hit-and miss voice acting, some frustrating levels, stupid driving stages), they are still fun to play today. While I don't play SA 1 that much, SA 2 is my favorite game ever. I think the stories, although they did follow the Monster of the Week formula (SA1 mostly), there was actual character development. It had a good mx of lightheartedness and edginess. While certain gameplay styles were bad ( Big and the SA2 driving stages come to mind), I appreciate the variety. I thought the Tails and Eggman levels in SA2 were pretty good. I understand where you may be coming from, but I feel that they were good games that showed that Sonic could thrive in 3d.
    Okay, if you like it, fine. I have no problem there. The Adventure games messed up the series pretty badly in terms of gameplay (the most important element in any game), though. You can't just get rid of speed from the gameplay for the sake of adding "variety" to the series, that's an inherent part of the series' identity. That's like taking monster battling out of Pokemon.

Quote Originally Posted by LordLucario21 View Post
    Then Shadow the Hedgehog came along and F**ked that up badly
    Explain. I fail to see what Shadow the Hedgehog did that could possibly have done worse than anything either Adventure game did.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast