Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video Games --> Anime

Default Video Games --> Anime

There are several Anime shows that have been Video games beforehand. Unlike many Video Game turned Live Action (or Anime Turned Live Action), Some people believe they don't suck. Some people say they do suck. i don't care about those people. What are your opinions on Anime such as this? (Such As: tales of the Abyss, Persona 4 the animation, The Towers of Druaga, Exc....)
    And you questioned my sanity. My Anime List

Quote Originally Posted by Excitable Boy View Post
    if Arceus is the Alpha Pokemon

wouldn't Mega Arceus be

the O-Mega Pokemon

I enjoyed Persona 4 The Animation but I haven't played the original game. From what I've heard the game itself is much better so I'm eager to play it when it comes out on PS Vita.

Quote Originally Posted by h8on-me View Post
    i don't care about those people.
    lol

Can't say for sure, since the only anime I can tell were video games before are Pokémon, Kirby of the Stars, Sonic X, and some of the Japanese Mario cartoons (unless you count Visual/Sound Novels as video games, in which case, I know of a few more and a lot of them adapted to anime well). While I haven't seen the Japanese Mario cartoons, I hear they varied, Pokémon is mediocre, Kirby of the Stars had its moments (both good and bad) and we all know how Sonic X turned out.

I'm sure the Japanese do it much better than we do when it comes to movies, but honestly, any adaptation of a video game walks a fine line at best, especially when it comes to pleasing the fans. I'm not against this, don't get me wrong, there's only so much story a certain video game can have, that to come up with an original storyline while staying true to the original source material takes a lot of writing skill. And sadly, many, many shows based off of video games have been mediocre at best, and most of them are So Bad, It's Good. I don't doubt there are really good ones out there, they're just hard to find, and every fan is different.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

Where does the Digimon series fall, toy or Video Game adaptation?

"Now Count up your Sins"- Kamen Rider W

Quote Originally Posted by Clamps View Post
    And here we have GAMEFREAK EMPLOYEE Blaze Boy confirming once again that Red/Blue/Yellow/Green/ and Gold/Silver/Crystal will not be on the 3DS virtual console E-shop!

You heard it hear first, folks.
    ^ Best post ever.

twitter: http://twitter.com/SamuraiDon

This thread needs The iDOLM@STER, because it's amazing, and it's adapted from a game.
    My Anime List

Spoiler:- My Claims:

I haven't seen an anime adapted from a video game (barring visual novels), mainly because I'd rather play the game. Maybe it's unfair of me to discount these adaptations without watching them, but I don't think I've ever heard anyone say that the anime adaptation of a video game was better than or even on the same level as the video game itself. I mean, I could watch the Disgaea anime, but I can't imagine the dialogue being better or the fights being more fun than what I experienced in the game.

The only exception to this is Pokémon, and that's because the anime uses the same setting, but can easily expand the characters, the setting and the action because of the nature of the games. I think that's the way to go with video game adaptations - explore the setting in a way that you can't do in the video game.
    100% of information in signatures on this forum involving percentages is false. If you feel as cheated by this atrocity as I do, don't you dare copy this into your signature.
    Hold on... if this percentage was correct at the time of print, that means the actual percentage of false information is less than 100% if this signature is included. Which means that... no! I've become a slave to the system!!

I speedrun DS Pokémon games. Currently, I speedrun Pokémon White 2, and I've also ran Pokémon Pearl in the past. If you want to see Pokémon games pushed to their limits (or if you want to do so yourself!), check out the Pokémon Speedruns website, and if you want to watch me, catch me on my Twitch channel.

OH WAIT DO VISUAL NOVELS COUNT?!

Because then we've got more than enough fantastic adaptations.

If visual novels count then: Little Busters! (Even though it hasn't been fully adapted yet).
    Also Clannad.
    My Anime List

And ef - a tale of 10charlimit.
    100% of information in signatures on this forum involving percentages is false. If you feel as cheated by this atrocity as I do, don't you dare copy this into your signature.
    Hold on... if this percentage was correct at the time of print, that means the actual percentage of false information is less than 100% if this signature is included. Which means that... no! I've become a slave to the system!!

I speedrun DS Pokémon games. Currently, I speedrun Pokémon White 2, and I've also ran Pokémon Pearl in the past. If you want to see Pokémon games pushed to their limits (or if you want to do so yourself!), check out the Pokémon Speedruns website, and if you want to watch me, catch me on my Twitch channel.

Oh, the overload of visual novels that aren't going to see much light in North America is starting...

It's usually the RPGs that get adapted into cartoons and comics which are usual good if they follow their source material to an extent. Other titles are hit and miss, mostly taking an episodic format diverging from the games' plot (or little of) and are simple and basic "friends and/or possibly super-powered cute things doing stuff" show. Then again, the CGI Donkey Kong Country cartoon (see what happens when you forgo slang and use a standard term) was decent from what I can remember...oh well.
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

Before ParaChomp so rudely interrupted we still love you, ParaChomp, I was going to say Higurashi*SHOT*

*glares* I honestly think the Higurashi anime is a good way to get introduced to the series. Yes, it doesn't have a lot of things the original sound novels have, but that's what makes it fun, to me anyway, discovering something "new" by looking to the original source. Just because the animation is cruddy, and it was limited by time doesn't mean it's horrible. As long as it still scares you and makes you care for the characters, it does its job fine.

Still iffy about Umineko, though...

The Street Fighter cartoon was technically anime, right? (I know it's not good, I can't quite remember if it is.)
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    Before ParaChomp so rudely interrupted we still love you, ParaChomp, I was going to say Higurashi*SHOT*
    "Well, excuse me, princess." What? Nationalities aside, that was on-topic.

*glares* I honestly think the Higurashi anime is a good way to get introduced to the series. Yes, it doesn't have a lot of things the original sound novels have, but that's what makes it fun, to me anyway, discovering something "new" by looking to the original source. Just because the animation is cruddy, and it was limited by time doesn't mean it's horrible. As long as it still scares you and makes you care for the characters, it does its job fine.
    In all honesty, if someone wanted to try to get into Japanese media, When they Cry is probably what I'd hand them over to give a shot and see if they like it.

The Street Fighter cartoon was technically anime, right? (I know it's not good, I can't quite remember if it is.)
    More reason why we should just use the term "cartoon" along with the corresponding nationality.

Quote Originally Posted by ParaChomp View Post
    Then again, the CGI Donkey Kong Country cartoon (see what happens when you forgo slang and use a standard term) was decent from what I can remember...oh well.
    Wasn't that animated by Canadians/France?

Quote Originally Posted by ParaChomp View Post
    As for visual novel series, when the Ace Attorney games die out, I can see them keeping the franchise alive as an animated series.
    I would eat that **** up.

Oh God. When I think of Video Games --> Anime, I think of utter failures like Umineko and ToTA. I'm sure there are a lot of adaptions done right, but the amount of adaptions done wrong greatly outweigh them.

Quote Originally Posted by TotalPotato View Post
    And ef - a tale of 10charlimit.
    And Kanon

Am I the only person who dislike P4A? I'm not big on Persona 4 anyway, especially not after seeing some things related to the side materials, but the anime just, if nothing else... looks terrible. It's a partially visual medium -- bad visuals can wreck it. The gradient abuse just needs to go.
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

The usual links

The problem with P4A is that Persona 4 is supposed to be fun. Watching P4A is like watching somebody else play Persona 4. It's not as enjoyable as playing the game yourself.

i haven't played the games but sengoku basara is easily one of my favourites. the first season at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Charizard Champion#06 View Post
    Wasn't that animated by Canadians/France?
    You mean Quebec? I don't know either and am too bored to do my research but Donkey Kong originated in Japan, got a cartoon not from there but then again, it was based off of games and lore created by Rare (an American company).

I would eat that **** up.
    Same here plus Trite and the gang have already had comic adaptions so why not?

I think you have way more creative control in an anime rather than live action. in live action you got to find people who can actually act (which is harder then you think) and also actors whose rep is alright ( wouldn't case JB thats for damn sure) then the visual effects might look choppy and blah blah blah there is alot of things that could go wrong. Personally I want a Zelda anime

Quote Originally Posted by TakenGrace View Post
    Personally I want a Zelda anime
    Only if the characters communicate through speech bubbles accompanied by a various array of grunts and other sounds, do not want Zelda where the characters actually talk.
    My Anime List

Sengoku Basara is one of the few I've seen and I liked it. The few episodes I watched, that is.

As for Persona 4 The Animation, well, there's just so much stuff in the game that had to be fit in like 26 episodes. It was way too few if you ask me. But it did a good job overall. Even if it did cut a lot of stuff and change some a bit. That's what I didn't like about it. Changing stuff. Yes, it was small things for the most part, like certain events happening slightly differently, but it bothered me. Still, it wasn't complete garbage. It was just good.

Something tells me they haven't seen the Zelda cartoon.
    "Well excuse me, princess."

Yeah, most Nintendo games have never made good story material. The only one I can think of that was solid was Pokemon Adventures which is a comic. The Kid Icarus Uprising OVAs were good though were just short promotional material. The Super Mario Bros. movie though not good was still enjoyable. The Wind Waker gag comics are admittedly quite funny. All other Nintendo cartoon and comic debuts are hit and miss. On topic of Nintendo, I wonder how well an adaption of Star Fox would do...
    Last edited by ParaChomp; 13th November 2012 at 4:22 AM. Reason: forgot about Earthbound

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast