Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Voice Acting Thread

Default Voice Acting Thread

Basically kind of similar to a lot of other threads here. Here is -- you guessed it -- a thread to discuss voice-acting in video games. Your favorites, your least favorites, the most bizarre you've ever heard... you get it.

Posting links is definitely encouraged. Explanations are probably a good idea.

Personal favorite in terms of questionable-ness of the voice acting goes to Heavy Rain, which is a French game. It's supposed to take place in America (specifically Philadelphia, if I recall). Characters who are not known to be immigrants have very clearly non-American accents and there aren't even attempts made. Here's an example. It's a great game and all, but it's just... really questionably voiced.
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

The usual links

The Good:

-The 3D GTA line - IV might have suffered from "I'm really an American putting on a foreign accent" syndrome, but compared to most games that have tried this, it worked much better.
    -Metal Gear Solid, because, you know. It's like an interactive film.
    -And Crash Twinsanity, come to think of it. Then again, maybe it was just brilliantly written. Ah who cares? It's a hilarious game.

The Bad:

-Almost every Japanese game that I have played or seen. I HATE dubs. Posting this instead because I don't want to hear Vanille from FFXIII ever again in my life.
    -Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex was pretty appalling as well. You can argue all you like that it was aimed at children, but you haven't played - and therefore - haven't had the chance to compare it to Twinsanity if you think this.

The Questionable

Commander Shepard's voice actor is a massive standout to me. Coming from a game which had amazing voice acting if not the best, it's at least slightly ruined by a lot of the deliveries the main character gives, e.g., the Suicide Mission speech in Mass Effect 2 is a good example.

Every Bethesdea game that has voice acting. It's understandable that the games in the Fallout series and the Elder Scrolls series have a heck of a lot of characters, and employing a different voice actor for every one of those would be tedious, but that doesn't excuse the horrible delivery of a good portion of the lines. But on the other hand, Liam Neeson was decent, and Mr House pretty much became one of my favourite video game characters ever just because of the delivery of his lines.
    Last edited by Rezzo; 29th October 2012 at 3:57 AM.
    Last.fm | Steam ID
    Nostalgia

Going from Transformers Prime to Fall of Cybertron made me sad.
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

Depends on the game. Some, like Alan Wake, Sequence, or Portal, had amazing voice actors that really amde the game so much better. Others, I like for the little unintelligible grunts and squeals, such as with Rock of Ages.

Also Crahs Bandicoot has terribly VA.

Quote Originally Posted by Rezzo View Post
    -The 3D GTA line - IV might have suffered from "I'm really an American putting on a foreign accent" syndrome, but compared to most games that have tried this, it worked much better.
    I enjoy a good try, though.

Speaking of sandboxes, I pretty much adore Zimos' voice (warning for a LOT of NSFW language) in Saints Row: The Third, but that's more because of the whole character concept and I'm fairly sure a lot of voice actors could have done it.

Which leads me to

Quote Originally Posted by Zibdas View Post
    Some, like Alan Wake, Sequence, or Portal, had amazing voice actors that really amde the game so much better.
    I'm pretty sure any voice actor could have done what Ellen McLain did, at the very least, and fairly simply. Speak monotone, apply post-processing to taste.
    Last edited by The Admiral; 29th October 2012 at 9:39 PM.

The usual links

Pretty much tired of hearing either JYB or Laura Bailey pop up from somewhere in the games I bought. Those two are EVERYWHERE.

Quote Originally Posted by AuraChannelerChris View Post
    Pretty much tired of hearing either JYB or Laura Bailey pop up from somewhere in the games I bought. Those two are EVERYWHERE.
    Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of a New World?

Speaking of which, they brought back Yuri Lowenthal for the newest Professor Layton title. They already used him once in the Unwound Future!

Quote Originally Posted by ParaChomp View Post
    Speaking of which, they brought back Yuri Lowenthal for the newest Professor Layton title. They already used him once in the Unwound Future!
    Is that a problem?

I agree, those two are everywhere.
        Spoiler:- Want my Friend Code?:

Quote Originally Posted by DarkRecon View Post
    Is that a problem?
    Not really, just annoyed me a tad at first. Same can be applied to my view on Bosch and Bailey.

In animes yes but in games probably Laura Bailey i hear the most ingame. But I'll never get tired of Steve Blum's voice.
    Last edited by KrayzieBuddha; 30th October 2012 at 6:12 AM.

Voice Acting? Never played any of those, except PKMN W2 The Gym Leader music were Lyrawesome XD

In Drawn To life, yes the mayor's singing voice was great on Part 2, nya~

Quote Originally Posted by Cenobitic View Post

Personal favorite in terms of questionable-ness of the voice acting goes to Heavy Rain,
    Heavy Rain has some fantastic glitches, especially when it makes the rest of the cast pretty much useless.

In terms of actual quality, I love the voice acting in the Metal Gear series, for the most part. They don't all just sound like the same person straining to do different voices, and really get you into the characters themselves. MGS4 gave me all kinds of feels with this.

In terms of cheesiness, my favorite terrible voice acting has to be in STALKER: SoC. It's just so laughably bad that I can't help but love those crazy Russian accents.

The Sonic series had some pretty bad voice acting until Sega replaced them all prior to Sonic Colours.

"Now Count up your Sins"- Kamen Rider W

Quote Originally Posted by Clamps View Post
    And here we have GAMEFREAK EMPLOYEE Blaze Boy confirming once again that Red/Blue/Yellow/Green/ and Gold/Silver/Crystal will not be on the 3DS virtual console E-shop!

You heard it hear first, folks.
    ^ Best post ever.

twitter: http://twitter.com/SamuraiDon

Quote Originally Posted by blaze boy View Post
    The Sonic series had some pretty bad voice acting until Sega replaced them all prior to Sonic Colours.
    Only Tails sounds very good (and possibly Cream). Everybody else sounds obnoxious.

In case you don't believe me, they totally ruined Jet's voice. He sounds like a child!

I liked the voices before 06/anime happened.

The new ones are gonna take some getting used to personally speaking. Least they kept Eggman/Robotnik's voice, one of the few that was good from that generation.

Only Tails sounds very good (and possibly Cream). Everybody else sounds obnoxious.

In case you don't believe me, they totally ruined Jet's voice. He sounds like a child!
    Shadow's voice is alright, and at least Rouge doesn't sound like an old woman. Jet on the other hand got the short end of the stick wen it came to VA's, that much I can agree.

Lordy I'm in hysterics

Having the same name as the one being called out throughout the whole video makes it so much funnier
    Last.fm | Steam ID
    Nostalgia

Quote Originally Posted by ParaChomp View Post
    Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of a New World?

No wonder some of the characters sounded great (like Randall).

Quote Originally Posted by PopPrincess_Lyra View Post
    Voice Acting? Never played any of those, except PKMN W2 The Gym Leader music were Lyrawesome XD

Isn't voice acting pretty common in video games nowadays?

I often play Bethesda RPGs, including FNV, and I guessI heard some more people got attacked last night.. Better than Oblivion, which had an overwhelming 12 voice actors.
    99% of teens like 1 directon... put this in ur sig if you dont (started by blazeing man)

Quote Originally Posted by Flame Mistress View Post
    Isn't voice acting pretty common in video games nowadays?
    I dunno coz I only heard it on 2 games, but I think it is. They should do that in PKMN now since they have the whole 'mouth moving' in BW/BW2, nya~

Pokémon doesn't need voice acting. In fact it would probably ruin it, especially for us non-Japanese players. I can almost guarantee that.
    Last.fm | Steam ID
    Nostalgia

Gee, you really do play a pretty small amount of games. No offense, just pointing out that your gaming habits are kinda narrow.

Heavy Rain is full of some great **** in general. inb4 this thread accidentally turns into the Heavy Rain thread.

I remember Tails getting progressively younger for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Rezzo View Post
    Pokémon doesn't need voice acting. In fact it would probably ruin it, especially for us non-Japanese players. I can almost guarantee that.
    The DS has some pretty serious sound compression, iirc, so it probably would not sound very good this generation anyway.

The usual links

I dunno coz I only heard it on 2 games, but I think it is. They should do that in PKMN now since they have the whole 'mouth moving' in BW/BW2, nya~
    You've only played two games with voice acting?

Also here's some pretty bad acting. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbmCK...ure=plpp_video

Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    Also here's some pretty bad acting. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbmCK...ure=plpp_video
    At least that has the benefit of being on a handheld, and an older handheld at that.

The usual links

Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    You've only played two games with voice acting?

No, this is rally bad voice acting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxtrJtmhWRQ

The only good one is Shinon's (red haired bowman)

Japanese is fine though.
    Last edited by Recon; 3rd November 2012 at 4:14 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast