Thread: Defensive Cores

Default Defensive Cores

I searched the forum and I did not see any threads based on this. What are your great defensive cores? Let's go beyond the common realm of SkarmBliss and FerroCent. I have recently discovered a great core for you hax lovers with great synergy.

Dragonite @ Leftovers
    Trait: Multiscale
    EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Def
    Careful Nature
    - Substitute
    - Roost
    - Dragon Tail
    - Thunder Wave

Jirachi @ Leftovers
    Trait: Serene Grace
    EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spd
    Jolly Nature
    - Substitute
    - Body Slam
    - Iron Head
    - Fire Punch

Dragonite paralyzes everything besides ground types, which Jirachi paralyzes with Body Slam. The only immune Pokemon are Golurk, Golett, and Limber mons. Nothing too common. Dragonite's typing gives it weaknesses to Dragon, Rock, and Ice, all of which are resisted by Jirachi. Jirachi has only 2 weaknesses to Ground and Fire, one of which Dragonite is immune and the other it resists. I based a team off of this and it's a fun team. I'm making an RMT soon for this. Back on topic, name your defensive core of choice.

252 +6 Atk Choice Band Pure Power Victini (+Atk)Critical V-create vs 0 HP/0 -6 Def Dry Skin Paras (-Def) : 103470436.36% - 121729963.64% (Guaranteed OHKO)

You Don't Say? I had no idea that a Choice Band Adamant Victini with maximum attack EVs and IVs that was baton passed +6 in attack and Skill Swapped Pure Power OHKO's Hasty Dry Skin Lvl 1 Paras with no defense EVs or IVs and -6 in defense under sun with a critical hit V-Create.

i would go over to whoever used that's house and kick their f**king a**.

Zapdos @Lefties
    Bold

248 HP / 228 Def / 8 SpD / 24 Spe
    ~ Thunderbolt
    ~ Roost
    ~ Heat Wave
    ~ Toxic

Empoleon @Lefties
    Calm
    252Hp 4Def 252Sp.Def
    ~ Scald
    ~ Roar
    ~ Ice Beam
    ~ Stealth Rock

Heatran @Lefties
    Calm
    Flash Fire
    244Hp 44Sp.Def 220Spe
    ~ Torment
    ~ Substitute
    ~ Protect
    ~ Lava Plume

it'll be perfect when zappy's dw ability is released. i dont normally spring for those fancy ~'s, but i c/p'd it from somewhere.
    Sig edited due to exceeding height limit. Read the signature rules before editing your signature.

I've seen a similar core used without Heatran but with Thundurus-T and Empoleon. Thun-t has the same typing as Zapdos, but also has an electric immunity. Zapdos will be superior in that core when its DW ability is released.

252 +6 Atk Choice Band Pure Power Victini (+Atk)Critical V-create vs 0 HP/0 -6 Def Dry Skin Paras (-Def) : 103470436.36% - 121729963.64% (Guaranteed OHKO)

You Don't Say? I had no idea that a Choice Band Adamant Victini with maximum attack EVs and IVs that was baton passed +6 in attack and Skill Swapped Pure Power OHKO's Hasty Dry Skin Lvl 1 Paras with no defense EVs or IVs and -6 in defense under sun with a critical hit V-Create.

my point .
    Sig edited due to exceeding height limit. Read the signature rules before editing your signature.

I use a core of specially defensive Jirachi with thunder and landoris T. I usually like running heavy offense.

back in BW1 i used to run sp def rotom wash, ttar, and gliscor, its still viable, but puts a lot of pressure on rotom wash to resist keldeo and gensect

Torkoal and Magcargo. Yeah!!!!

Number of Genwunners = 100
    Number of people accused of being a Genwunner = 100 000 000 000 000 000
    Number of people complaning about Genwunners = 100 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000

Quote Originally Posted by Hilda View Post
    Every single special attack (specially water and ground) says hi

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Oak
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Shortcut to damage calculator

It was a joke

Quote Originally Posted by jeffdavid102 View Post
    It was a joke
    AKA spam..

Heatran and latias are a decent defensive core each resists/ is immune to the other weaknesses overall heatran is a part of many defensive cores.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Oak
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Shortcut to damage calculator

I've got a defensive core. I call it, Porygon2.

Okay, just kidding. Well, I've found defensive Gyarados, Gliscor, and Ferrothorn to be half decent together, at least.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    Magnemite used Sonic Boom! Magnemite glitched through the wall! It's super effective! Lyric fainted!

Guys, don't spam.

Although it's more of an balanced core, offensive tank Garchomp and specially defensive Jirachi have some good synergy.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet / Leftovers
    Trait: Rough Skin
    EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 148 Def / 92 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Dragon Claw
    - Earthquake
    - Fire Blast / Aqua Tail / Dragon Tail

Jirachi @ Leftovers
    Trait: Serene Grace
    EVs: 252 HP / 236 SDef / 20 Spd
    Careful Nature
    - Body Slam / Thunder
    - Iron Head
    - Wish
    - Protect

That Garchomp spread is my personal setup, since it helps take advantage of his power, typing, bulk, and Rough Skin. The speed EVs let Garchomp beat positive base 70s, and the Atk EVs with an Adamant nature hit a jump point in Atk. It's actually a just little more than enough to guarantee a OHKO on 4/0 Terrakion with Earthquake. This Garchomp set is deceptively bulky as well, able to survive a BalloonTran HP Ice and LO Mamoswine Ice Shard from full health, as well as a 2HKO from Scarf Terrakion's Close Combat. These two synergize pretty well, Garchomp resisted Jirachi's Fire weakness and being able to tank Ground attacks decently enough, while Jirachi resists Garchomp's Ice and Dragon weaknesses, can heal Garchomp with Wish, and compliments Garchomp's physical bulk with its own special bulk. I prefer Rocky Helmet on Garchomp for the stacking passive damage between that, Rough Skin, and Stealth Rock, but Leftovers helps Garchomp's survivability a bit more. If you're running this pair in the Rain, you can run Thunder and Aqua Tail over Body Slam and Fire Blast, respectively. Alternatively, Dragon Tail is really cool for phazing out switch ins and stacking more passive damage with Stealth Rock.

Synergy Time
    Remade Wishes

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
    Nature Calm
    Ability Trace
    Evs 252 HP 252 SDef 4 Def
    Ice Beam
    Toxic
    Hidden Power (Ground)
    Recover
    So it wouldnt be me if i didn't use a porygon2. Now you may be wondering why i carry hidden power ground its very simple to help jirachi. You see a solid counter to jirachi is magnezone which allows it to trap jirachi with its ability magnet pull so we can abuse said ability with trace. Now for those that dont know how yrace is used, its simple trace will copy the ability of the opponent when porygon2 switches in to magnezone it will trace magnet pull and we can trap magnezone itself. Next since magnezone is 4x weak to ground we can 2 hit KO it. Next off we have how it helps jellicent by being able to switch into thunderus therian and trace volt absorb. Then we have the boltbeam combo to jellicent to help take down dragons as jellicent is meant for fighting types. Finally we have recover to help heal off the damage and to hande specs hidden power fires from latios.

Jellicent @ Leftovers
    Nature Bold
    Ability Water Absorb
    Evs 252 HP 252 Def 4 SAtk
    Surf
    Hidden Power (Electric)
    Will-O-Wisp
    Recover
    Now we have one of the most annoying walls in the overused metagame. Now if you look the other two pokemon really don't appreciate fighting attacks and because of the ghost typing jellicent fits very well into the core as a great pivot switch. Now we have WoW for the reason of getting some things burned such as tyranitar which is a nightmare to take out however when its burned tyranitar is much easier for jirachi to handle. Recover just like porygon2 is meant to recover health and stall out fighting types such as terrakion. Now hidden power electric may seem odd but not after facing gyarados electric is a nice type to have on jellicent.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
    Nature Sassy
    Ability Serene Grace
    Evs 252 HP 252 SDef 4 Atk
    Thunder
    Rain Dance
    Iron Head
    Wish
    Now this may seem weord but its effectove at its job. Now porygon2 can't take on every special attacker politoed for example however this rachi can with paralysis from thunder and iron head flinching. Rain dance acts as a buffer against sun teams and gives jellicent a decent power up on surf. Now jirachi can also handle the lati twins with fairly good ease allowing it to not be afraid of draco's from both of them upon tje rest of the team. Wish is there to heal a worn down member of said core.

|||||||
    Yellow Lv 36 | Saph Lv 35 | Garnet Lv 35 | Eevee Lv 34 | TDK Lv 38 | APorygonZ Lv 33
    Credit to Blues

^Porygon2 doesn't really need to handle Jirachi, since Jellicent handles the physical versions with will-o-wisp anyway, and calm mind versions are only 3HKOed by HP ground, not factoring in any stat boost.

Though I guess without it sub paralysis would be a pain without it, it's not really common enough to be much of a threat.

Edit: Huh, it seems the most common CM Jirachi set doesn't use wish. Huh, I guess HP ground can work.

Edit2: On a different note, Terrakion would have lots of fun with that core, but I guess most defensive cores have to beat it through prediction anyway...
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    Magnemite used Sonic Boom! Magnemite glitched through the wall! It's super effective! Lyric fainted!

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan View Post
    AKA spam..
    It just happens to become a spam when you don't get it.

Number of people complaning about Genwunners = 100 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000

No, it became spam when you made a joke post with just four words that had no point behind it. So...don't do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak94 View Post
    No, it became spam when you made a joke post with just four words that had no point behind it. So...don't do it again.
    Maybe I do believe those 2 are good walls? I'm going to take my leave if even the mods don't know what exactly a spam is. It was a relevant answer to the topic.

Maybe I do believe those 2 are good walls? I'm going to take my leave if even the mods don't know what exactly a spam is. It was a relevant answer to the topic.

Yes, argue with the moderator, that will end so well for you.

This is a defensive core I used on a monoSteel team, I was actually shocked at how well it performed, despite the fact that they're both weak to Fire attacks (although I had Heatran for that).

Skarmory @ Leftovers
    Impish - Sturdy
    252 HP, 252 Defence
    -Whirlwind
    -Roost
    -Brave Bird
    -Sandstorm

Typical Skarmwall with a twist; Sandstorm. Sandstorm allows me to cancel Sun and Rain, which really screw over MonoSteel teams. Brave Bird lets him check Infernape as long as it doesn't carry Overheat (which it normally does...) as well as let it beat other fighting types like Conkeldurr. Grass and Bug types are fairly rare, but Brave Bird KO's Volcarona if Rocks are on the field. Whirlwind phases out sweepers that are set up and prepared to sweep my team.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
    Careful - Serene Grace
    252 Sp. Def, 252 HP, 4 Attack
    -Body Slam
    -Iron Head
    -Wish
    -Stealth Rocks

Same as Skarmory can soak up any physical hit in the game, Jirachi covers the special side. Honestly, it was either this or Empoleon, and if I went with Empoleon, Thunderus-T walks all over me. Body Slam and Iron Head for ParaFlinching opponents to death, especially things like Terrakion. Wish nabs some quick healing for him or his teammates, and he carries Rocks for my team so Skarmory can carry Sandstorm.

All in all, there's better options, but not for MonoSteel, so I think it's kind of cool. I wouldn't use this in standard OU though.
    “The God of the old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; petty, unjust, unforgiving, control freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty, ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. Those of us schooled from infancy in his ways can become desensitized to their horror."

~Richard Dawkins

I am a Satanist and proud of it! Copy and paste this into your signature if you are too!

Hmm?

It just happens to become a spam when you don't get it.
    If it wasn't a joke post, then what was there to "get"? Not to mention that "Torkoal and Magcargo. Yeah!!!!" is hardly decent discussion. No explanation, no reasoning, no real discussion at all.

It'd be best not to argue with someone who's been here for more than two years and knows spam when they see it. Don't spam anymore, end of discussion.

This is obviously spam. A useless post that was clearly a joke (unless you really were being serious in thinking Torkoal + Magcargo are a good defensive core, in which case you are hilariously bad). Yelling out two random Pokemon with zero defensive synergy does not contribute to the topic at all.

If you want to stay or leave, it makes no difference to me. But do not pretend for a second that you were not spamming.

I just don't get it. I for once use Jirachi as my central pokemon (which is my favorite legendary). Why make Jirachi focus only on the Sp. defense when it could go for both of it defenses? I mean, cosmic power increases both, right.

Evs. 252 HP, 128 Def, 128 Sp. Defense.

I'd gave him a type of attack like this.
    -Drain Punch - healing purposes and surprise to heatran and tyranitar
    -Iron head - just for stab and flinching possibilities
    -Wish - obvious of course
    -Cosmic Power - ups both defense by one level

Now I know so far it was meant to have a stall match against the New BIRD tornadus and unexpectedly Draco meteors from the Lati twins. But What are the most dominant attackers in OU / Ubers? Are there more special attackers/physical attackers, or mixed sweepers?

I find Jirachi best as a mixed setter you see. I find him more of an offensive mage (SP atk) or a vanguard (Mixed attacker) thanks to his 100 all base stats. Are jack of all trades pokemon mediocre?
    Final Chapter: 38: Mountain's Edge(Click the Banner above)

Quote Originally Posted by jireh the provider View Post
    I just don't get it. I for once use Jirachi as my central pokemon (which is my favorite legendary). Why make Jirachi focus only on the Sp. defense when it could go for both of it defenses? I mean, cosmic power increases both, right.

Now I know so far it was meant to have a stall match against the New BIRD tornadus and unexpectedly Draco meteors from the Lati twins. But What are the most dominant attackers in OU / Ubers? Are there more special attackers/physical attackers, or mixed sweepers?

I find Jirachi best as a mixed setter you see. I find him more of an offensive mage (SP atk) or a vanguard (Mixed attacker) thanks to his 100 all base stats. Are jack of all trades pokemon mediocre?
    I think that sets like this are just outclassed by CM Jirachi. You invest fully in HP and Defence, making him pretty tough on the physical side, but have Calm Mind to boost his SDef and also SAtk, meaning it can do some heavy damage too.
    Hey Serebii, how you doing? Not sure how many of you guys from way back are out there, but just to let you know that I'm back, though I'm not sure how regularly I'll be on. Thanks for everything, and I hope I can continue to enjoy my time here!

3DS Friend Code: 2105 - 8928 - 6860

Looking for any breedable flawless Pokemon!

Quote Originally Posted by jireh the provider View Post

There's just a couple of problems that I see with this set. For one thing, 252 / 128 / 128 is usually a pretty bad way to split EVs up. It's usually best to aim for a jump point in either stat to optimize EVs or aim for a certain benchmark (i.e. enough Def / SpD to survive a certain attack). In Jirachi's case, a 252 HP / 96 Def / 160 SpD with an Impish nature (or swap the Def / SpD EVs with a Careful Nature) would give you very balanced defenses, with a slight emphasis on the side with the positive nature.

The main other issue I see here is what seems to be a real lack of Jirachi's potential. Usually, if you want to boost bulk, it's best to just go with a Calm Mind set. That way you can build up a lot of offense as well as defense, which will in turn give Jirachi a much better chance of doing some real damage to an opposing team. With only Cosmic Power, Jirachi just doesn't seem to do much besides be really, really bulky. Kind of a waste of setup when you could be sweeping with Calm Mind instead.

My favorite defensive core is Physically defensive Forretress and Specially defensive Jellicent. I'm not a fan of dumping spdef into Forry or def into Jelli, whether that makes me bad or whatever. But yeah, I love this core. Jelli's epic typing, and Forry's massive defense. Also, Forry can set up hazards while Jelli can spin block.