Thread: First competitive OU team

Default First competitive OU team

Hey everyone,

I've been playing casually with my friends using this team for a while and I've finally decided to start playing online competitively. I made this team originally as a mono region unova team, but I'm ready to expand it to all regions to make it the best team possible. I haven't played too many online battles so far but I haven't run into too many problems yet. All criticism and suggestions are welcome.

Galvantula (M) @Wide Lens
    Trait: Compoundeyes
    Evs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
    Modest Nature (+Satk, -Atk)
    -Thunder
    -Volt Switch
    -Bug Buzz
    -Energy Ball

- Galvantula has proven to be a good lead so far, surprising a lot of leads by opening with 98% accuracy STAB Thunder that really packs a punch in the first move of the battle. Volt Switch is useful for scouting, and Bug Buzz and Energy Ball are used for coverage against ground type leads like Hippowdon. Galvantula is pretty fragile though, and hasn't been too useful outside the first few moves of the battle, especially since Stealth Rock takes a good chunk out of his health. I've also considered a lead Mienshao, however that would make me need to make a few other switches throughout the team (-Scrafty, +spec attacker)

Scrafty (F) @Leftovers
    Trait: Shed Skin
    Evs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Atk
    Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
    - Bulk Up
    - Crunch
    - Drain Punch
    - Rest

- Scrafty functions as a great mixed wall and with a few boosts with Bulk Up, a great sweeper. Even though Scrafty is UU, he has shown his worth plenty of times over. Scrafty is best at switching in on predicted ghost type moves aimed at Jellicent or Chandelure, setting up with Bulk Up, then unleashing its dual STAB attacks that have almost perfect coverage. Shed Skin is crucial on Scrafty, as it can quickly get rid of burns and make it wake up early from rest. (if I'm lucky it wakes up on the same turn!) Drain Punch is also useful as after two Bulk Ups, Scrafty can OHKO a lot of its opponents, replenishing a lot of health without risking being set up while asleep. Scrafty could be replaced by Bulk Up Conkeldurr, but that would open up an uncovered weakness to ghost.

Also, he's a gangsta

Jellicent (M) @Leftovers
    Trait: Water Absorb
    Evs: 252 Hp / 252 SDef / 4 SAtk
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    -Scald
    -Recover
    -Shadow Ball
    -Toxic
    - Jellicent runs as a good special wall and spinblocker. (even though i don't have SR) It can come in on Water moves aimed at Chandelure and get healed, (or on fighting/normal moves) then continue to toxic stall while also doing a good job offensively with Scald and Shadow Ball, using Recover if its health goes low. Water Spout can be a more powerful option, as Jellicent is usually at high health, but I keep Scald to potentially hinder physical attackers as well, (including Conkeldurr and Mienshao, who can really hurt Scrafty)

He is also in the lead for No-Shave-November

Ferrothorn (M) @Leftovers
    Trait: Iron Barbs
    Evs: 252 HP / 30 Def / 228 SDef
    Relaxed Nature (+Def, - Spd)
    -Spikes
    -Leech Seed
    -Protect/Thunder Wave
    -Power Whip
    - Pretty standard, Ferrothorn acts like as a great mixed wall by putting more investment into its SDef stat. It comes in on Pokemon that can't touch him, then lays down spikes and leech seed, the former to demote switching out, the latter to provide self healing and to slowly whittle down the opponents health alongside Iron Barbs. Power Whip is an ok STAB attack with Ferrothorn's meh Atk stat, although attacking isn't its focus. Protect is used for a free turn of Leech Seed+Leftover recovery, although Thunder Wave can really hinder speedy opponents against my other average speed pokemon.

Haxorus (M) @Life Orb
    Trait: Mold Breaker
    Evs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    -Dragon Dance
    -Outrage
    -Brick Break
    -Earthquake
    - Haxorus is a very powerful sweeper if used right. With large investment in speed and a boost from DD, Haxorus can outspeed a lot of its Dragon opponents like Salamence and Latios. This is very important as Haxorus is pretty fragile and can't take too many hits. I try to switch him in on Water, Fire, Grass, and Electric moves aimed at Chandelure, Ferrothorn/Galvantula, Jellicent, and Jellicent, respectively. This isn't too hard as these move types are frequently used against those respective pokemon and quite easy to predict. This saves the pokemon and also gives Haxorus a free move or two to set up with DD as they switch out, then unleashing STAB Outrage or Brick Break/Earthquake if needed. Haxorus is also good at switching in on annoying walls and, if they don't switch out, destroying them.

I mean come on, you know you're BA when you have blades on your face.

Chandelure (F) @Choice Scarf/Specs
    Trait: Flash Fire
    Evs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, - Atk)
    -Flamethrower/Fire Blast
    -Overheat
    -Shadow Ball
    -Energy Ball
    - Chandelure has also proved to be very useful online, despite its UU title. It can easily come in on a fire or fighting move, but it functions best as a late-game revenge killer. It can come in and decimate with STAB Overheat, then switch out, or use STAB Flamethrower/Fire Blast and stick around for a while. Energy Ball is useful for revenge/forced switch against ground and water types, although it can be easily switched into and revenge killed as well. I chose Choice Scarf for Chandelure, as his speed could use improvement and also it OHKOs most of its opponents anyway, so I found specs to be a little overkill while Scarf is well utilized by such a fragile pokemon.

It's fragile...because it's a chandelier...hardee har har

I'm no expert with the 5th gen competitive battling scene. I more into 4th gen and baton pass teams so if you want to take a look at my one which is in this thread then take a look but anyway onto the suggestions.
    That galvatula although volt switch is indeed useful it is physical in a special move set so that screams out problems. You will be dealing minimal damage on a switch which is rather pointless. You may as well put a useful move there and switch normally. Unless of course your trapped but in that case you will have a extra moves to play around with, maybe a trapping move for yourself. (Spider web?) I think it is.
    That scrafty has rest. Oh no. Replace another mover for sleep talk so you can attack whilst asleep otherwise you will just get beaten silly with a switch and even with shed skin it is still swomwhat unrealiable.
    That jellicent seems fine, I like that move set a lot although if your going to be using toxic as the status move maybe and water pulse if it can learn it instead of scald as you won't be seeing the benefits of scald if the target is poinsed.
    Ferrethon seems pretty standered which is good although try something to spice it up from the standered. Although I don't use him try something else. (Why not?)
    That haxorus seems decent although I prefer drangonite , pretty much same use but dragonite is more bulky at the cost of a four times ice weakness. But earthquake sorts that out in terms of ice pokemon. But your choice I'm just a huge fan of dragonite.
    And lastly the main thing with that chandlere or whatever is two fire attacks. I don't know his movesets or whatnot but replace overheat with something because that stat drop will cripple you entirely and force a switch on your side. Although the choice scarf will fore that anyway just thought i would bring it to your attention that a broader attacking movepool could bring some advantages.
    Hope my limited knowledge of 5th gen has helped and good luck.

Thank you, I'll definitely look into Dragonite it's a lot bulkier than Haxorus. I'll try out Water Pulse on Jellicent although I'm afraid it's not powerful enough (though the confusion may make up for it, I dunno) and unfortunately Chandelure's movepool is extremely limited. The other special attack options it has are other fire moves, solarbeam, and psychic, which really only helps against fighting types, and having it is just asking to be locked by tyranitar or the other plentiful dark types in OU. Sleep talk on Scrafty is a good idea, but getting rid of either crunch or bulk up gives major problems to the build, I might just switch him out with conkeldurr or machamp. I agree with you on Ferrothorn, he's just kind of boring and in the end he doesn't do too much. I'm thinking about swapping him out for Skarmory or forretress. And finally volt switch is special, u-turn is physical but good call. Thank you for the advice ill definitely look into it

what?! that was terrible advice. first he says hes a noob at 5th gen, then he goes and rates a 5th gen rmt. the stupidity level of people make me wonder sometimes...

now, rest is good and all on scrafty, but its too unreliable, and its either LO or lefties, so the chestoresto set wont work either. try an offensive moxie + ddance set instead. ice punch + crunch + drain punch has great coverage.

also, stealth rock on ferro to check volcarona, therians, keep genesect down, etc.

thunderus-t>galvantula. definitely. the extra immunities really help out your team, and the offensive potential is amazing. a LO nasty plot set is great.

water pulse sucks on jellicent. js. bad advice from bad 5th gen player. what a surprise.

try a female rivalry haxorus over mold breaker. that extra boost will help a lot sometimes.

thats all i really have right now, but its a mediocre team. good for mono-gen, but maybe above decent in ou.

I actually tried DDance Scrafty for a while and it just wasn't bulky enough it didn't last as long as with bulk up but that's just me. I'll look into thunderus and should SR replace leech seed or protect on ferro?

definitely over protect.