Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Get A Job, Ya Bum!

Default Get A Job, Ya Bum!

No, this thread isn't about homeless people, otherwise I'd put it in the Debate forum.

This thread is about YOUR WORKPLACE EXPERIENCE!

Do you have a job? Where do you work? Where have you worked before? What do you like about your job, what don't you?
    Where would you like to work?

I like hearing about where people work, and what kinds of things they do there, how the company is, etc. etc.

Oh, and I'd like to mention I like to vent about work a lot (maybe not so much lately), so please, join me in it.

I currently work at a couple of places and have a pretty nice amount of experience from other places.

[feel free not to read the following]

I've worked at the MTS Centre/Stadium here, which is basically for concert events, football games, other sorts of events like that. It was a pretty cool job except we didn't get discounts or anything, and I had to work during Justin Bieber one night. *shudder*
    The only cool concert I worked was during Tool, they were good. I checked out some of their show while I was waiting to get picked up one night.
    It was pretty stressful so I left a little after a year.

That was probably the coolest job I've had. Other places I've worked include a pool place where I got to sit around and play solitaire and test water. It was above minimum wage so it was a pretty sweet deal except it was SO boring and I smelled like chlorine all the time. I quit not too long after I started because I got a job somewhere else that I'd been wanting to work for a long time (summer job). Needless to say, my 'dream summer job' was nothing special. In fact, I never want to work there again lol.

I've also worked at Safeway (BOOOO), umm.. actually I feel like that's it. Nope I also worked at Zellers. I really liked it there except the location closed down, I got transferred to another one, but there was too many people so I got laid off.

I'm now working at Le Chateau (outlet store) and I've been there since February, I really enjoy it there. I also work at La Senza (ohh lala , I know), in the mall, which is awesome because since I was 12 or 13 I've dreamt of working in a mall.

THAT IS ALL. Now it's your turn!

edit: hurm, I feel like this is too 'personal' even though I got the 'OK' from a mod.

I have a yearly summer job as a supervisor at one of the oldest operating theme parks in the world. Make about $600 a week there. I do odd jobs in the spring and usually seasonal store work for fall and winter. 2 years ago I worked at Toys R Us for the holiday season. Total nightmare. Now I'm working overnight stock at Taget. Overtime and Overnight pay. Way better.

I used to work overnights at Walmart. At first I didn't mind the experience all too much. It was an easy job and it was nice not having to work during the busy day hours, but unfortunately over time it started to have some negatives effects on my health, like feeling depressed and easily irritated. It also greatly affected my sleeping schedule, which as a result affected my diet. Missing meals and replacing meals with junk food..lost motivation for exercising.. which only fueled my depression.

Maybe I wasn't there long enough to get used to it.. but, my god.. never again.

So yeah, if you're like me and you absolutely hate the idea of working with the public, an overnight stocking job may not be the best idea. I think I'd rather just deal with my social anxiety and have a normal day time job, than have a job that might jeopardize my mental and physical well being. That's how I see it anyway.
    Last edited by Kurry; 10th November 2012 at 4:27 AM.

Had a job testing hoses and ladders for the fire department. Now Im waiting to get my license so I can get a new job.

Had a job this past August selling kitchen cutlery. It was miserable.
    STAY out of commission based jobs.
    Under Construction

Quote Originally Posted by Kurry View Post
    I used to work overnights at Walmart. At first I didn't mind the experience all too much. It was an easy job and it was nice not having to work during the busy day hours, but unfortunately over time it started to have some negatives effects on my health, like feeling depressed and easily irritated. It also greatly affected my sleeping schedule, which as a result affected my diet. Missing meals and replacing meals with junk food..lost motivation for exercising.. which only fueled my depression.

Maybe I wasn't there long enough to get used to it.. but, my god.. never again.

So yeah, if you're like me and you absolutely hate the idea of working with the public, an overnight stocking job may not be the best idea. I think I'd rather just deal with my social anxiety and have a normal day time job, than have a job that might jeopardize my mental and physical well being. That's how I see it anyway.
    I know what you mean about the hours having effect on you. I close at Subway, some nights, (basically I'm covering where I'm needed.) I have a sleeping problem where I can't make myself wake up till the last second (only if I have something seriously important to do.) Working night messes my sleep up so I wake up past 2 in the afternoon. I hate it but I need money for rent.

I went to school to be a pastry cook, specifically working with cupcakes. The American economy sucks to where no one wants to hire entry level positions. I got laid off three times after school. Worked at a Flemming's Steakhouse as the pastry chef. I shouldn't have been hired because that was a chef position. I did ok for my first job, lasted almost a year, but like I said I struggled to finish things on time. They had to let me go. I then worked at another restaurant, higher class, as an assistant. I was seasonal so I was let go once summer started. In Arizona, everyone leaves in the summer because of the heat so that's our slow season. I then started a job at a cake shop. They just opened so I was eventually let go because I didn't have enough experience. (I thinks that's bs because the girl that stayed had just finished school and had no restaurant experience!! I'm sure the chef hated me, he sure acted like it. In AZ we are a right to work state so you can get fired for no reason at all) Now I'm at Subway so I can actually have a stable job. My pay is less but like I said, it's stable!

Before school I worked at a Burger King. I was lead Drive Thru Order Taker and opened and closed there for 2 years. Before that I worked at a couple cashier jobs. I tried selling shoes at JCPennies. I had someone ask if they can buy shoes with food stamps......that was hilarious. (food stamps only buy food, tp, and a couple other things that are considered necessary.) I also worked at a truck stop for a year when I was a senior. I dealt with some creepy people, being a minor truckers hit on me.......nasty nasty ones. I liked the job though because I was given responsibility even though I was a minor!! Ha, I when I first started there I was allowed to nap on the clock once because all my duties were done. (I was a coffee hostess, changing the coffee every 20 min, and stocking.)

mine is doing the dishes three days a week and mopping the floor every week,and vaccuuming once every two weeks

I worked a week in a local grocery store. It wasn't that bad, if not my older brother every day came by with his friends to laugh at me. lol

I was a part time Florist a while ago. It was really fun but I had to leave eventually as I was only covering someone on maternity leave. Now it seems impossible to find a job.

xxx

I had a summer job. Bought things I wanted, gave some to my parents. Quit job for school. YAY.

I work in a place that sells agriculture/equine items.
    My work experience placement was at a veterinary surgery-most of my day was sitting on a stool for 4 hours doing nothing. Except listen to the radio.

No job as of yet but next year, I'm working at Cinemark Theatres.

I'm a Freelance Front End Web Developer. I work more with code and writing then design these days. Work about 30 hours a week and it's enough to sustain my lifestyle. I spent the last year learning and working on Back End Development. I just passed the Benchmark for HTML5/CSS3/PHP so that should lead to better prospects. The agency I work through re-tests me every 3-4 months. Sometimes I feel like I do more Tests then actual work.

I used to work as a Receptionist at Target. Had to resign in May after breaking my shoulder at work.
    Last edited by An00bis; 11th November 2012 at 2:01 AM.

I had a job at a Sears store for about 2 and 1/2 years. Retail is not fun, especially around the holidays. People will do anything to push you around and because of the nature of the business are basically allowed to get away with it. I was in charge of keeping the clothing displays tidy, keeping the fitting rooms clean, customer service, merchandising, price changes and occcasionally printing signs. I left eventually because it became just too much for me to handle and they would basically schedule only me to to this all the time, both floors of clothing and not enough time to get all my work finished. Plus the customers were horrible to me and made fun of me all the time. Im trying to find another job but there just isnt much available though Im hoping to find at least a seasonal job soon.

I don't have a job yet. I want to work as the android who runs around and gets people to honk outside the at&t store near me. It seems like a fun starter job.
    3DS FC: 1762-3779-2632
    I have claimed Empoleon, Rosalina, and Super Mario Galaxy!
    Pokégyms

oh jeez, ive had some pretty crappy jobs in the past, but luckily i like my current one a lot.

my first job ever was at my school's bookstore warehouse/stockroom. it didnt seem that bad at first, but it got boring so quickly because it was so mundane spending hours just folding clothes or boxing things or whatever and because of the way my shifts were scheduled i almost never got breaks. and my boss was evil. a lot of other people agree too but she hated me more than the rest of the workers. she is also highly allergic to scents and even though i never wore perfume i still got yelled at a couple of times for wearing something which must have been in my shampoo or deodorant or something idk. then she ended up just not hiring me back after break saying she didnt have any hours for my schedule (which btw she only told me a couple of days before classes started and i wouldve filled that space with another class) and i was honestly glad to not have to quit.

my second job was going door to door trying to get people to sign up for solar panels for a summer. that was awful. it was extremely hot and we had to walk around outside which sucked and people dont take kindly to you answering their door. i got a lot of creepy old men and a lot of angry people. my supervisor was also sorta creepy but he let us take hour+ breaks (in a 4ish hour shift) and leave early if it got dark or windy. plus the pay was pretty good. but i would never recommend door to door to anyone, it's awful.

right now i have 2 jobs but i might be quitting one after this quarter is over. my first one is grading which is really easy but i dont get paid a whole lot. it also tends to pile up because i can do it whenever i want so it tends to take a backseat when i have a lot of homework, so i might stop that one soon. my other job is working at staples which i really like on most days. all of my coworkers for the most part are cool, and it's pretty laid-back. and i just got employee of the month this past month so i know my boss doesnt hate me like my bookstore one the only thing i dont like are the customers. most of them are fine but some of them get suuuuuuper pissy about things i cant control (not having something in stock, corporate policy regarding returns and thins like that). i think my favorite was when a lady tried to return something we dont sell there with a bunch of random receipts and i called over two people to confirm for me we dont sell this and she got super angry and said she would take her business elsewhere. there's also a lot of homeless people since we're by a shelter which kind of sucks since some of them have mental problems, and ive gotten my fair share of super creepy old men there. but like i said, for the most part it's a really good job and im happy to work there.

be sure to read the rules of every section before posting ;)

Little Miss Stalinist/Secret Al-Qaeda agents (i.e. Ellie) would be a ***** even if she was a conserative republican. What makes her the way she is happens to be the fact that the webmaster of this site let's her behave like this. (Of course, I would never make a liberal a staff member at any forum I'd be in charge of, regardless.)

First job during high school was with the county recreation department, working as an assistant supervisor. Did it for two years, pay was okay, but it was mostly just for a little experience.

Then I did an internship for Waddell & Reed, which was really kind of a bore. Financial advising really isn't my thing.

Once I got out of college, I then I got a temp job with Kelly Services, working for Johnson & Johnson doing database management and remediation. Great job, great people, it was a shame it had to end because they couldn't extend my duration any longer. I REALLY wish they could have hired me full time, but my manager didn't have the budget for it.

I then moved on to getting another temp job with Atrium Staffing, working for Pfizer. Another great job, this time doing adverse event reporting. The work was boring but the people were cool and pretty friendly. I had to login in adverse events into a database system as well as perform archive work, but it was pretty good. Again, the temp assignment couldn't be extended any longer, so they had to let me go. Another shame, as I enjoyed working there.

Then came working for Bayer through Elite Personnel. Was there for about two months doing more adverse event reporting, covering for a full time employee's maternity leave. Sadly, she miscarried and she came back sooner than expected. They never said that was the reason they had to let me go, but I figured that had to be it. They accused me for taking off too many sick days (even though I really WAS sick), but that was way too much of a coincidence.

Then came two weeks of working for Sanofi Aventis, another pharmaceutical firm, doing more adverse event reporting. That WOULD have been a good job if they had not expected me to spend four hours each day taking a shuttle bus out of state to reach the office and then go back home again. Originally they told me I'd only have to make that trip for one week due to onsite training. Then they tacked on another week. And then they tacked on another EIGHT weeks and told me my job was going to be there rather than at the site much closer to home that I thought they would allow me to work from. I kindly quit after hearing that. There was no way I could do that with MBA classes at night.

And my last position was at International Flavors and Fragrances, which was a part-time internship. It was more about stuff I enjoyed doing (graphic design, flash animation, movie editing), though I did hit a few snags here and there. My manager was nice, though she seemed to have on and off days. At the end of the internship, she offered me a job, but I had to decline. Commuting 2+ hours a day was tough with MBA classes going on at the same time, and the job would have made a turn toward employee training, which eh... just wasn't my thing.

Right now, I'm just trying to finish up my MBA, and hopefully get a job in marketing once I'm done. I don't have a job at the moment, but I figure maybe I'll have a better shot once the MBA is done and somewhere out there someone will notice I'm a good and hard worker. I've gotten offers to work in New York, but I just can't commute from there while I have classes in New Jersey. Once I'm done with school, however, I'll be able to do it.

Since im 16, i cant officially get a job, but i do work over the summer for my grandpa. I am a Mower and Raker in the hay business. Meaning, i mow the grass down, and then use a rake to pull it into windrolls for the baler. I use tractors and euqipment, not real tiny mowers and rakes :P I also babysit. When i do turn 16, ill probably work at the local grocery store, or the feed stores.
    White friend code: 0347 5916 2191
    Black 2 friend code: 0820 1802 1694

I am working as an operator in healthy center. I register so many patients who want to check to the doctor.
    Wanna be friends? Read these requirements:
    - If you are ANIME & MANGA FAN, make sure you love yaoi and yuri. No SAO fan, No A/Z Fan, No anime contains NTR fan, no Shoujo Fan, and no Harem Fan! Tokyo Ghoul and Kagerou Project fans of course accepted! If you love mystery, horror, crime, philosophy anime. Why not befriend with me? ^^
    - If you are POKEMONFAN, make sure you are FAN of Unova (Pokemon BW, BW2, Pokespe BW/BW2, of course Pokemon Best Wishes!), FAN of Trip, do not bashing Trip (and other pokeani rivals), either competitive battler on PO or PokeShowdown I accepted!

I'm currently interning for a series of magazines for kids and teens whose first language isn't English. It's pretty cool - I've written articles about fun stuff and interesting things, and hopefully I can do some editing soon. :>

I've done your basics like retail, office and elections work, but I've also worked odder jobs like selling credit cards at gas stations and advertising for Warner Bros Studios. The result of the latter was I got to be on the phone with Will Ferrell and Zack Galifanakis (well, me and 60 other people lol).

~Psychic

Quote Originally Posted by Psychic View Post
    I'm currently interning for a series of magazines for kids and teens whose first language isn't English. It's pretty cool - I've written articles about fun stuff and interesting things, and hopefully I can do some editing soon. :>

I've done your basics like retail, office and elections work, but I've also worked odder jobs like selling credit cards at gas stations and advertising for Warner Bros Studios. The result of the latter was I got to be on the phone with Will Ferrell and Zack Galifanakis (well, me and 60 other people lol).

~Psychic
    Wow. Psychic, you are awesome ^_^

I worked at the lame little card shop in my local mall from 2007 - 2012. I probably would still be there if it wasn't for my OLD old manager coming back and having relations with the owner, and hating me and the present manager. She basically threw us out, changed my schedule and gave me one day a week, and told me don't come back after I came in for my normal shift and told me that I was supposed to be there the previous day. So I pretty much got 'fired' in May of 2012.

So I was unemployed till October this year when I finally got a seasonal job at Kohls. It's much better than Hellmark haha. But after the holidays hopefully my cosmetology license will finally arrive and I'll be able to get a full-time job at a pretty salon. (:

I was helping my neighbor and his dad build a new house. That was pretty fun. I learned a lot of cool stuff there and I now feel accomplished about something. That was probably my best Summer job yet.

I'm self-employed. I do technical theatre, specifically electrical and lighting things.

Most of the work I get is as an over-hire electrician: theatre companies hire me as needed to hang lights, get power to them, or fix them when they're broken, to focus the lights (ie point them in the right direction under the guidance of the lighting designer), or to take everything down.
    I also work as an assistant lighting designer. Essentially the assistant keeps track of the paperwork for the designer, and keeps the designer organized, like a glorified secretary. I like assisting a lot more than electrician work, it helps that I'm really good at it too.
    I primarily like to think of myself as a lighting designer, as that's what I did go to school for and ultimately wish to be known for. The designer obviously decides how the show should look and makes the plans for that to happen.

I've also done some miscellaneous backstage work during shows, like keeping track of props and costumes, and doing scene changes, but lighting is really my forte.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast