Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Pokemon Unfairness

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow_V-Creator View Post
    It is still somewhat unfair, as if people wanted more of a challange, they would have to get another DS system and game. So its also a marketing scheme in a way. Not good.
    OMG! Company trying to make money!

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    ...Is there actually a problem with that?

People can be disappointed with whatever they want to be disappointed with. It's how they act about it that matters.
    No problem, but its still a dumb reason to be disappointed over something that it was clearly never intended to be. That's like if I buy a box of Cheerios and I'm disappointed that Rice Krispies didn't come out of the box.
    I'm part of the staff at Project Pokemon! Smod in forums, AOP in IRC, Administrator on Shoddy. Come visit us. Our Project is Pokemon!

I don't really play the games any more but I probably would have wanted the Pokéradar, VS Seeker, a Pokémon following you like in HG/SS, and most importantly an evil rival. These friendly rivals just aren't good enough!

xxx

Quote Originally Posted by randomspot555 View Post
    OMG! Company trying to make money!

No problem, but its still a dumb reason to be disappointed over something that it was clearly never intended to be. That's like if I buy a box of Cheerios and I'm disappointed that Rice Krispies didn't come out of the box.
    I agree with the points that zozo made, and I don't think the redundancy of having version exclusive modes is on the same level as having irrational expectations of your snacks.

I think the lack of berry growing system in-game for Gen V is a disappointment for me as well. It's one of the interesting interactions with the game environment, and the mechanisms are pretty much perfected in Gen IV, but they somehow decided to shift a feature that can be fully supported in-game to the online site instead.
    The best evolutionary designs are brought about by a balance between change and consistency.
    Artwork by Piper Thibodeau. You can view more of her work here.

Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    No part of how event Pokémon are handled is anything remotely resembling "unfair". If anything, it's done as fairly as possible, by means that allow a significant percentage of people - perhaps even a majority of people - to access an event during its duration.
    I wouldn't say that. If events were to be done as fairly as possible, they could release the event Pokémon over Wi-Fi and through stores simultaneously. Excluding whole countries is certainly unfair, don't you think?

I thought we as a society were past saying things like this.
    Welcome to the Pokémon fanbase! The most broken videogame fanbase behind Sonic The Hedgehog!

lets see:
    Not having pokemon following you
    event/wifi pokemon. If a buy a game I would like to to think all of the pokes are there for me to catch as I please
    No pokemon based on a doliphin ( here's hoping for 6th gen)

Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Power View Post
    I agree with the points that zozo made, and I don't think the redundancy of having version exclusive modes is on the same level as having irrational expectations of your snacks.
    The part I was calling irrational was some guy being disappointed that DP didn't revisit Hoenn, even though Hoenn was the focus of the game right before DP was released.
    I'm part of the staff at Project Pokemon! Smod in forums, AOP in IRC, Administrator on Shoddy. Come visit us. Our Project is Pokemon!

Quote Originally Posted by The Eleventh View Post
    If events were to be done as fairly as possible, they could release the event Pokémon over Wi-Fi and through stores simultaneously.
    Know what would happen then? You'd get people complaining that neither works for them. If that's a solution you deem viable - ostensibly on the basis that most people should be able to access one or the other - what makes the notion of releasing some over Wi-Fi, some in-store and the rare few more or less simultaneously (like the two 2011 Victini events) any less viable, as it still distributes the events via both methods?

Quote Originally Posted by The Eleventh View Post
    Excluding whole countries is certainly unfair, don't you think?
    "Whole countries" are not excluded as best such can possibly be done. If someone lives in a small country somewhere where it's simply not feasible for these events to be distributed by some means, somehow, that really is unfortunate for them. But events are widely distributed in Japan and most if not the whole of North America, Europe and Oceania. Going by the major population centers contained therein, the events really are distributed as widely as they feasibly can be. Again, it's patently impossible for them to be made available to everyone, everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by WildHennaCharizard View Post
    lets see:
    event/wifi pokemon. If a buy a game I would like to to think all of the pokes are there for me to catch as I please
    As we're forced to state again, none of these are "unfair". All of them are simply griping about game features you'd do differently, which has nothing to do with fairness.

-----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

I still Play Soul Silver regularly for this reason.

This anoys me as well, I still have to get Mew, Jirachi, Deoxys, Shaymin, Manaphy, Phonie, Arceus, Genesect and Mellotica.

<~ I know it isn't really a dolphin but I think it's close enough xD

.: 3DS FC: 0490-5034-9209 :.
    .: DeviantART :: Graphics Thread :: Art Thread :: Art Shop :.

Before the release of HG/SS, I expected a level bump from the originals, like wild Pokemon at level 50-60 at least towards the end of the game. I also expected them to add something that allowed you to rebattle trainers in a good way (like the VS. Seeker or Pokenav), not just the PokeGear which was horrible in the originals, and stayed the same in the remakes. But the developers decided to take a step back from previous games in both aspects, and my disappointment could not have been larger.
    This is the future we made for ourselves
    But is it really the dream we wanted to live in?

The present has to be treated as precious
    Or we will regret it when it has become the past...

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Red Absol View Post
    This anoys me as well, I still have to get Mew, Jirachi, Deoxys, Shaymin, Manaphy, Phonie, Arceus, Genesect and Mellotica.
    If it's any consolation, "Mellotica" hasn't had an event outide of Japan yet.

Genesects event happened for an entire month after B2W2's release via Wi-Fi.

Arceus had a PGL distribution shortly after BW's release that was heavily promoted and advertised on the Internet because it was based off of a fan vote at pokemon.com.

If you missed these, it sucks, but they made it available and for whatever reason, you decided not to get them.

All those others were given out during Gen 4. Jirachi and Mew via Wi-Fi, the others with in-store distributions.

Genesects event happened for an entire month after B2W2's release via Wi-Fi.

Arceus had a PGL distribution shortly after BW's release that was heavily promoted and advertised on the Internet because it was based off of a fan vote at pokemon.com.

If you missed these, it sucks, but they made it available and for whatever reason, you decided not to get them.

All those others were given out during Gen 4. Jirachi and Mew via Wi-Fi, the others with in-store distributions.
    I live in Australia so we don't get too many in store. I can't connect my DS to my wi-fi so I was really upset that I missed Genesect.

I live in Australia so we don't get too many in store. I can't connect my DS to my wi-fi so I was really upset that I missed Genesect.
    I don't know about you, but id rather have Scizor than Genesect. Genesect isn't really that great to me

Quote Originally Posted by BritishWeavile View Post
    I don't know about you, but id rather have Scizor than Genesect. Genesect isn't really that great to me
    Scizor is probably my 2nd favorite pokemon. Absol + Scizor + Garchomp :3

I live in Australia so we don't get too many in store.
    Australia got the Gen 4 events for in-store events for Darkrai, Shaymin, Deoxys, Celebi, Arceus,lvl 100 Regigigias...basically every single major Gen 4 event besides Manaphy (which was distributed in a zillion other different ways anyway, including via Pokemon Ranger). In Gen 5, Australia had in-store events for Victini (and I think the mystery egg event, but I'm not certain).

Once again, there is a difference between these events didn't happen and you didn't go to them. For whatever reason, you didn't go to them.

I can't connect my DS to my wi-fi so I was really upset that I missed Genesect.
    You don't need to have Wi-Fi access 24/7. You need it for like, 2 minutes. You go to a friend's house, use a public hotspot, do something. I understand not everyone has it at home, but over the course of a month, you probably could've found compatible wi-fi access for 2 minutes.

Australia got the Gen 4 events for in-store events for Darkrai, Shaymin, Deoxys, Celebi, Arceus,lvl 100 Regigigias...basically every single major Gen 4 event besides Manaphy (which was distributed in a zillion other different ways anyway, including via Pokemon Ranger). In Gen 5, Australia had in-store events for Victini (and I think the mystery egg event, but I'm not certain).

Once again, there is a difference between these events didn't happen and you didn't go to them. For whatever reason, you didn't go to them.

You don't need to have Wi-Fi access 24/7. You need it for like, 2 minutes. You go to a friend's house, use a public hotspot, do something. I understand not everyone has it at home, but over the course of a month, you probably could've found compatible wi-fi access for 2 minutes.
    I got Darkrai, Celebi, Victini and Regigigas.

and for the wi-fi, I'm in a real hole of a situation right now, so my best bet would be to figure out how to get my one working properly so I can get the last few a need through trade.

I got Darkrai, Celebi, Victini and Regigigas.
    So it isn't you didn't have the opportunity to get Shaymin and Arceus. You just chose not to go to the event to get them.

So it isn't you didn't have the opportunity to get Shaymin and Arceus. You just chose not to go to the event to get them.
    Well I did spend alot of time in a mental institution doing nothing.

Hax is the 2nd thing that is making pokemon unperfect , in other words critical's ratio should be 0%
    and moves with 90-95% accuracy should be more like 100% (not all of them either )even if they become too powerful , maybe reducing the power over accuracy is a solution
    Also will-o-wisp should be 90-100% accuracy this way arceus in ubers would become less powerful cuz it's already too OP
    I am Red. I conquered the Pokemon World more times that you have ever battled. I stand upon the top of the world from Mt. Silver. Indeed, I am the Living Legend as well as The Undefeated Battler. Millions have groveled under my Smash Pass. I am the Revolutionary Smashpasser! Now, bow down before your master! Do you have what it takes to have me as your Leader?
    (12:48:55) ±Porygon: Your rank in Wifi Ubers is 1/36151 [1789 points / 1695 battles]!
    WON THE 2011 POKEMON WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP.

I wanted to battle Hilda or Hilbert in BW2.

Well, Let's see...

Hoenn and Kanto remakes for DS
    ^Kidding, kidding...

The Hidden Grottos - Grr I live them and hate them. Having a 5% chance of regenerating every 252 steps kills me, and 20% for a Pokemon kill me. And of you want it female? Ugh. And making the Eevee and event only thing, I might not get that either. I was really excited abiut getting DW Pokemon in-game, then...sadness.

Not being able to do Extralink with regular B/W games on B2/W2 - Screwed me really.

Can't think on any others right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghirahim
    You have awoken an anguish that will burn for eons...

Know what would happen then? You'd get people complaining that neither works for them.
    Yes, but you'd have less people complaining that they don't have access to the event. Such people are already excluded, anyway.

If that's a solution you deem viable - ostensibly on the basis that most people should be able to access one or the other - what makes the notion of releasing some over Wi-Fi, some in-store and the rare few more or less simultaneously (like the two 2011 Victini events) any less viable, as it still distributes the events via both methods?
    Because some people may only have access to store events, and some can only receive Wi-Fi events. If an event is released solely through one of those distribution means, you're excluding more than you would be if both ways were made available. As you said, they can "access one or the other".

"Whole countries" are not excluded as best such can possibly be done.
    I disagree. Wi-Fi events do not actively exclude countries, while in-store events most definitely do.

Quote Originally Posted by SapphireBlueEyes7799 View Post
    Well, Let's see...
    The Hidden Grottos - Grr I live them and hate them. Having a 5% chance of regenerating every 252 steps kills me, and 20% for a Pokemon kill me. And of you want it female? Ugh. And making the Eevee and event only thing, I might not get that either. I was really excited abiut getting DW Pokemon in-game, then...sadness.
    I agree. I've been trying to get some pokemon in the grottos for ages, but no matter what i do i get stupid items. Mulch, mulch and... yay, more mulch... all i get is mulch! It's also annoying when they don't have anything. It's soooo unlikely you will get a pokemon (and don't get me started on females!) Why must life be so cruel.
    The Doctor: 'People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually*
    from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.'
    In other words: Time is Complicated.
    Credit to epicjirachifan, Chapter of Charizard FairyWitch and Astaral Shadow of the Under

Things I find unfair:

1. ONLY ONE LEFTOVERS PER GAME (or 2 at most, and outside of pickup)! WTF!
    2. Japan getting all the good stuff. Still no american DW starters OR Meloetta. C'MON JAPAN, SHARE THE GOOD STUFF WITH US!!!
    3. Releasing Genesect before Meloetta. I mean Genesect is cool and all, but he comes after Meloetta in the pokedex.
    4. Not being able to find Reshiram or Zekrom as shines.
    ""You know, you fight pretty well… for a thief." He told me while still trying to catch his breath.

"Thanks. You're not so bad yourself." I responded. "Your hair's still silly-looking though."

- Robin and Scarlette (my OC), Titan Legends Volume 5

This is a line from volume 5 of my fanfiction on deviantart and fanfiction.net. It features my original character, Scarlette; a young demigoddess with the power to make almost any weapon.

Pokemon Black FC: 1893-3683-3048

3DS FC: 4682-8668-1957
    Pokemon X ING: Joey

Visit my trade thread:
    http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=562519

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast