Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rap is the future?

Default Rap is the future?

I love rap. I know some people can find it annoying and vulgar, but i love it. All the way across England, Rap is becoming more and more popular, and adults are getting more and annoyed because of it. My parents seem to have deviated, from calling it 'an untuneful droning noise' to making insulting impressions of the culture. So what do you think: Rap is Rad, or rubbish?
    Hey guys, please sign up to my RPG The Archetype, we need more members!

Spoiler:- text:

I am a proud member of Join the fight.
    Credit goes to Avenger Angel for making the RP's awesome banner. Thanks Bron and Neo for the awesome RP

I only like rap coming from one artist and that's Colette Carr. In the past, I did hate rap. But, it's people's opinions about what they like and dislike, so I'll be respectful towards theirs.

I liked some of it back then, when I say "back then" I mean early 2000's. I simply cannot stand what modern artists have done with it.
    3DS FC: 3652-1012-6122

Baking Soda, I got Baking Soda!

I like Swimming Pools (Drank) but the majority of the time I only hear Rap from Rap Critic AKA Masta Artisan.
    As to what once, it now is. For this my retirement tour, let us commence, forevermore, forevermore.

NO. IT'S NOT. IT CAN'T BE.

lol joking aside, although I dislike rap myself (with a couple exceptions), I think the music style doesn't have to be completely thrown away.
    I mean, as for the message/tone it has in today's popular songs I kinda agree with your parents, it is kind of rubbish.

But that doesn't mean that the musical type also is rubbish. It just has to be used more wisely.

Spoiler:- Credits:

People just hate rap, because it's popular, and people think hating whatever happens to be popular makes them look hip or intellectual. And adults tend to be nostalgic for classic rock, yet their parents considered classic rock to be lowbrow garbage when they were young, too. It's not like this is a generational thing.

I'm not a huge rap fan, but from what I've heard, it's mostly the mainstream rap that sucks. The lesser-known stuff is pretty good.

There are some rap songs I really like, but for the most part, rap does nothing for me. I don't dislike it, but I don't enjoy it either. When I listen to music, I want to be impressed by the musical talent of the artist, and to me, rap doesn't require much (if any) MUSICAL talent. I'm not saying they aren't talented. As far as writing lyrics, and some rappers ability to rap really fast, that is definitely talent. But musically speaking, I'm not impressed by the ability to speak over what is usually pre-recorded computerized beats. I'd rather listen to a band with crazy instrumentals and a vocalist showing off what his/her voice is capable of. But that's just my personal taste in music. No hate toward rap whatsoever.
    My White 2 Team:

Thanks to the amazing Savanny for this sweet banner!

People were saying this in the late 90s/early 00s. Did it happen then? No. It won't happen now.

twittertumblrlast.fm

I used to like rap when I was younger (late elementary - early middle school), and then I started listening to bands like the Beatles, Bowie, Bon Jovi, Queen, and Asia, and now I like mostly rock from the 60's-80's. There is some rap I like, but most of it just sounds bad IMO.

It depends. Like all other genres, there are some good songs and some bad songs. My personal opinion on rap is that it can be one of the best genres if it is done correctly, but otherwise it sounds like trash.
    Snake? Snake? Snaaaaaaake!!!

I don't really like rap. The only rapper I like is eminem. (Blame my musical tastes on my brother.)

No genre is inherently bad, but there just aren't a lot of good rappers out there. I do, however, like some Christian rappers such as Trip Lee and Lecrae.
    I don't use "uber" Pokemon (because they're banned), I don't calculate stat values (the simulator does it for me), I don't use cheating devices (because I hardly ever play the actual game), I don't breed my way to perfection (because I use a simulator), and I do care about natures. I battle the most efficient way, so I can use my strategic skills to the fullest. I don't look down on others because of the way they play Pokemon, which non-competitive people seem to actually do more often. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature. (Started by DittoDude.)

^^^ ohh god people actually LIKE Christian rap???

I like some rap and hate some rap. Most of the rap they play on the top 40 stations isn't really my cuppa tea - I don't care for Lil Wayne at all (then again who does) and I'll be honest, Eminem isn't as great as everyone puts him out to be. I do like some Snoop Dogg though, and I love what I've heard from Tupac.

Deltron 3030's album is great too, if you want to give it a listen. He's been described as "futuristic dystopian rap" and it's totally true. And it's awesome.

Oh and Kid Cudi. Pursuit of Happiness is such an amazing song

I saw a news article about 50 cent performing at an elementary school in Brooklyn.....WHY ARE THESE LITTL KIDS LISTENING TO 50 CENT IN THE FIRST PLACE?!

Quote Originally Posted by Golden_Latias View Post
    People just hate rap, because it's popular, and people think hating whatever happens to be popular makes them look hip or intellectual.
    Now you're just postulating.

The thing about rap is, more often than not, that it is what becomes popular. People tend to dig the simple music and rhythms and the rappers attitude, expressed through more or less clever rhymes. (At least that's my general assumption.)
    The reason I dislike rap is mainly because I find it very flat and uninteresting musically. It seems to me that the main focus in rap is the lyrics, not the music. Rap lyrics are longer than anything else - often more personal than anything else - which requires a lot of work from the artist. Admitted, some tracks here and there got pretty catchy music behind the lyrics, but at the end of the day, it's still the lyrics that's dominating.

I listen to music mainly for the music itself and not as much for the lyrics. I guess that's probably the reason why I've settled upon metal and rock. Lately, the more progressive, complicated and (to some degree) obscure it is, the more I like it. Why? Because it shows there's been put a decent amount of work into the riffs and it requires an incredible talent to be able to write pieces - hell, even to play like that. More often than not, the music itself also creates different moods and feelings you won't find as much in rap, in my opinion.

I won't say rap is the future. In fact, I think it's a bit naďve to think that. I get the point that the older generations doesn't like it - and because of that you could say that rap is a part of the younger generations (which leads to think it's futuristic) but that is seen in a lot of different genres. Rock is a good example here.

The thing about music, and art in general, is that it constantly moves and evolves. People who like more "core" music genres might not like the way the genre has developed and therefore dislike the new and popular music that follows.
    And new forms of art appears. Like rap. And dubstep. And even progressive-extreme-avant-garde metal!

Quote Originally Posted by Skyler 99 View Post
    ^^^ ohh god people actually LIKE Christian rap???
    Lecrae's pretty good.

To me rap is dying. It was great when I was in grade school/high school. You had Bone Thugs, Eminem, Dr. Dre, B.I.G, Tupac, T.I. and many others. They all had their party anthems where they talked about the drinking and what not, but a lot of them had music about their life, about how hard life was where they grew up and even positive messages to younger generations to avoid gangs and the drug dealer life.

Now....it is complete garbage. Lil' Wayne was one of the best around, now he complete trash and has sold out. You have other people like Whiz Kalefa (sp?) and Nicki Minaj who rap about stuff that is ignorant.

I listen to what i grew up with but have also switched my focus back to bands that I used to love like NIN, Nirvana, Foo Fighters (faith in humanity was restored when they one a grammy for their album that was recorded in a garage, google that ****!).

B
    I like to breed to Pokemon (except IV breeding, i have no interest in it)*. If you have any requests please PM or email me and I will see what I can do to help you. I also have TONS of items.**

Email: pokemonmaster2385@gmail.com (please include "username" @ serebii forums in the heading)
    *I can breed all Pokemon in X&Y now.*
    **Items are in BW & B2W2 only**

Pokemon Y friend code: 3797 - 7081 - 3314
    Pokemon X friend code: 4296 - 4159 - 0229

Quote Originally Posted by THEIRONDONUT View Post
    I know some people can find it annoying and vulgar, but i love it. All the way across England, Rap is becoming more and more popular, and adults are getting more and annoyed because of it. My parents seem to have deviated, from calling it 'an untuneful droning noise' to making insulting impressions of the culture.
    Back in the 50s/60s, parents said the exact same thing about rock 'n' roll. Just pointing it out there.

I really don't like rap if only because of the content that is put into rap (not that other music genres don't do the same thing, but rap is more crude). If rap remained the same like it was in the 90s (like with Will Smith and Sir Mix-A-Lot), then maybe I wouldn't have such an issue with it today. But it seems like every single rap song talks about sex and drugs, the people are mumbling/stumbling through the lyrics half the time, f-bombs are dropped all over the place, it's really annoying. The fact it seems to be more and more popular with the kids makes it a bit more disturbing to me.

Now I'm not saying rap should go away forever, but it should be used sparingly and handled better, especially when it comes to pop culture. Unless it's actually hip hop (I seriously can't tell between the two genres for the life of me), the theme song to the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles makes sense for it to be rap, and not because they live in New York. That genre of music just fits their personalities a bit more, not that the rock opening in the 1987/2003 cartoons weren't bad, but it's not as effective. I think there was one other rap song used for a cartoon opening, but I can't think of it (no, not thinking about the first Pokémon D/P opening, that was tasteless). I imagine The Boondocks has a rap theme song, from what I've gathered about the show, and that's fine.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

I think a lot of rap is okay. Heck, there are some songs that I even like. However, the vast majority of these aren't from the modern era of rap, where pretty much everything has gone down the drain. When someone is talking about their life, how they grew up, or something like that, I normally enjoy rap. When the song tells a story, I'm all right with it. However, the "Doin' coke and beatin' my hos" mentality of modern rap just doesn't sit well with me. Not to mention the fact that the overall talent level of modern rappers is not even close to what it was in the '90s. Eminem and Jay-Z are still around, and they're all right. Pretty much the only ones I can listen to on a regular basis, since some of their songs actually "tell a story," like I said before. But the only modern rappers that I can sometimes listen to are Kid Cudi and Busta Rhymes. Even then, I can hardly stand them on occasion.

Also, the worst successful rap song of all time.

"She got a big booty so I call her Big Booty."

EDIT: After watching the music video, I feel the need to give a warning. If you are offended by foul language, disrespect for women, violence, partial nudity, use of alcohol, or poor music do not watch that music video.
    Last edited by Phoopes; 13th November 2012 at 5:45 PM.
    Hi, I'm part of the staff on Pokemon Showdown!, if you have any questions or need any help, VM or PM me.

I can't call a genre 'the future' when the glory days are so dead and buried for it.
    Done here.

My opinions towards music are very strong. It tends not to involve the genre, but more the content, the construction, and the passion put into it. For example, I do like some rap (Tupac, Biggie, a few by Kanye), but I wouldn't call it my favorite music. Overall, I believe that each genre of music has its own good parts and its own bad parts, and that opinion usually varies from person to person.

Quote Originally Posted by BJPalmer85 View Post
    To me rap is dying.
    No, sir. Music itself is dying. Let's face it, the best times are behind us. All that's left are decaying relics and new "stars" that try to recapture the times of the past. There's a lack of creativity these days, but it seems to only be in the popular scene. I suppose there are still some good bands out there, and like I've said, music itself is subjective, but still, in many peoples eyes, its all going to hell. I'm a musician myself, and I try to make new and awesome stuff too, but I can't create something that doesn't sound like ripping someone off. Its frustrating. But that just may be me. Anyway, rap is getting popular because, in many but not all of its forms, and at least to me, its a simpler dynamic than other types of music. With rap, you have synthesized beats, at least with most common rappers, no guitars, or other instruments, just synthesizers. There's nothing wrong with simple or electronic music, this is just my view of why its in such great amount. To me, the lyrics don't change in theme so much, its mostly just the beat or the WAY they say it.

But again, music is going downhill. I just hold closely to the bands of the past and dig like hell to find the new good stuff. That's all anyone can really do anymore, and I say this again, its all subjective.
    Last edited by FairGamer9215; 13th November 2012 at 6:34 PM.
    I am no longer active. Do not FC or contact me. I won't respond.

Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    I saw a news article about 50 cent performing at an elementary school in Brooklyn.....WHY ARE THESE LITTL KIDS LISTENING TO 50 CENT IN THE FIRST PLACE?!
    Because not everything he comes up with is vulgar, at times he's pretty influencing and definitely not a bad role model.
    In fact, most schools are fine with artists who've been in the industry for longer than 10yrs.
    3DS FC: 3652-1012-6122

Baking Soda, I got Baking Soda!

Quote Originally Posted by BJPalmer85 View Post
    To me rap is dying. It was great when I was in grade school/high school. You had Bone Thugs, Eminem, Dr. Dre, B.I.G, Tupac, T.I. and many others. They all had their party anthems where they talked about the drinking and what not, but a lot of them had music about their life, about how hard life was where they grew up and even positive messages to younger generations to avoid gangs and the drug dealer life.

Now....it is complete garbage. Lil' Wayne was one of the best around, now he complete trash and has sold out. You have other people like Whiz Kalefa (sp?) and Nicki Minaj who rap about stuff that is ignorant.

I listen to what i grew up with but have also switched my focus back to bands that I used to love like NIN, Nirvana, Foo Fighters (faith in humanity was restored when they one a grammy for their album that was recorded in a garage, google that ****!).

B
    I notice most rapper nowadays imitates Drake's vocals (and flows) and rapping fast. As for Nicki Minaj, I don't understand how people likes her music.

I think mainstream music is deteriorating in quality. I don't think all music is deteriorating. Rap is a fair enough genre by itself, if not my cuppa tea, and it is growing very quickly... not sure how confident I'd be in saying it's the "future" of music, though. All the other genres will always be around and kicking, no matter how popular rap and hip-hop get.

SHINY RAINBOWS BECKON YOU TO THE ARTIST'S CORNER

Trainer Name: Misha
    3DS FC: 5112-3720-5938
    Friend Safari: Fighting; Pancham, Machoke, Hariyama

Quote Originally Posted by Phoopes View Post
    I think a lot of rap is okay. Heck, there are some songs that I even like. However, the vast majority of these aren't from the modern era of rap, where pretty much everything has gone down the drain. When someone is talking about their life, how they grew up, or something like that, I normally enjoy rap. When the song tells a story, I'm all right with it. However, the "Doin' coke and beatin' my hos" mentality of modern rap just doesn't sit well with me. Not to mention the fact that the overall talent level of modern rappers is not even close to what it was in the '90s. Eminem and Jay-Z are still around, and they're all right. Pretty much the only ones I can listen to on a regular basis, since some of their songs actually "tell a story," like I said before. But the only modern rappers that I can sometimes listen to are Kid Cudi and Busta Rhymes. Even then, I can hardly stand them on occasion.

Also, the worst successful rap song of all time.

"She got a big booty so I call her Big Booty."

EDIT: After watching the music video, I feel the need to give a warning. If you are offended by foul language, disrespect for women, violence, partial nudity, use of alcohol, or poor music do not watch that music video.
    Basically my thoughts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast