View Poll Results: Does someone confusing something for anime and manga upset you?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, they should know better

6 24.00%
  • No, the fans should learn to let go

19 76.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why so Prissy?

Angry Why so Prissy?

"Then it's not anime, stupid." "It's not manga, dumb***!"

This is why I refuse to use those terms anymore and just refer to them as cartoons and comics. Someone makes a mistake, big whoop, it happens. Gently correct them and let it slide. Why do so many people get all in a huff when someone makes a simple mistake like when they refer to Avatar: the Last Airbender for a Japanese cartoon or Dramacon for a Japanese comic? I don't understand why such gives some people so much pointless anger. Sure, these are common mistakes but come on...

EDIT: Whoa! That "and" in the thread question should be "or" but oh well, it still works and the point still gets across easily.
    Last edited by ParaChomp; 13th November 2012 at 8:45 AM. Reason: grammar
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

It's not a hard concept to understand, was it made in Japan? If yes, then it's an anime or a manga, if no it's not.
    My Anime List

Spoiler:- My Claims:

TBH, you have to be pretty stupid to call something that is not a manga, a manga. I mean, there's no getting them mixed up.

It's not hard to determine what's anime and manga and what isn't.

The ones who get upset when people correct others on the matter should take a hard look at themselves tbh.

I don't get upset over mistakes like that. I identify them as errors, but I don't think it's worth ridiculing the person who made the mistake or anything. In the case of something stylistically similar like Avatar, I can see where the mistake could come from.

Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    TBH, you have to be pretty stupid to call something that is not a manga, a manga. I mean, there's no getting them mixed up.
    Hmm... you think? What about Korean comics, also known as manhwa? Would you forgive someone mistaking them for manga? I don't think that's a stupid error, because again, there are stylistic similarities.
    100% of information in signatures on this forum involving percentages is false. If you feel as cheated by this atrocity as I do, don't you dare copy this into your signature.
    Hold on... if this percentage was correct at the time of print, that means the actual percentage of false information is less than 100% if this signature is included. Which means that... no! I've become a slave to the system!!

I speedrun DS Pokémon games. Currently, I speedrun Pokémon White 2, and I've also ran Pokémon Pearl in the past. If you want to see Pokémon games pushed to their limits (or if you want to do so yourself!), check out the Pokémon Speedruns website, and if you want to watch me, catch me on my Twitch channel.

i'm more bothered by people who overreact and ridicule others who are clearly not as much into anime/manga as they are. anime essentially are cartoons and you're just using the phrase to sound less childish in the first place.
    Last edited by xerxes; 13th November 2012 at 8:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mephistopheles. View Post
    i'm more bothered by people who overreact and ridicule others who are clearly not as much into anime/manga as they are. animes essentially are cartoons and you're just using the phrase to sound less childish in the first place.
    Anime fans aren't the only ones who use the term anime.
        Spoiler:- Do you think this store:

Also the plural of anime is anime, there is no s.

EDIT: I just noticed how terrible that picture is, stupid iPhone cut half of it off so didn't see it.
    Last edited by Jolteon91; 13th November 2012 at 7:19 PM.
    My Anime List

Quote Originally Posted by TotalPotato View Post
    Hmm... you think? What about Korean comics, also known as manhwa? Would you forgive someone mistaking them for manga? I don't think that's a stupid error, because again, there are stylistic similarities.
    Maybe, fair enough. I personally mean people who get the confused with American comics. You kinda have to go out of your way to get those mixed up.
    Quote Originally Posted by mephistopheles. View Post
    you're just using the phrase to sound less childish in the first place.
    What is this even.

I think it's because they see "Anime and Manga: more mature and artful" while "Comics and Cartoons: immature and silly" based on what they were exposed to. Sadly, the internet doesn't come with a much needed dopeslap for these mindsets.

You got that right! The Legend of Korra is returning on October 3rd! Mark your calendars!

Quote Originally Posted by Jolteon91 View Post
    Also the plural of anime is anime, there is no s.
    derp, thanks. i was never really sure about how it's written correctly in plural since i've seen it in all possible variations. >_>

but yes, i AM aware that there is a difference between the two terms and think that people should know what it is. what i don't support is bashing others because of it which is unfortunately quite common and what makes it worse is that they're being complete jackasses over animations that were made in japan. it's really like arguing what's the difference between pokémon and digimon. hell, maybe if someone else saw my mistake first i would have to eat **** for saying "animes."

so much for stores knowing the difference lol.
    Last edited by xerxes; 13th November 2012 at 8:47 PM.

EDIT: I just noticed how terrible that picture is, stupid iPhone cut half of it off so didn't see it.
    Ahaha, that's hilarious! Even shops make these mistakes! I love how it says "One of the most popular anime", too!

Well, if something like that can happen, it's even easier to see how people might get the wrong idea about what an anime is.
    Last edited by TotalPotato; 13th November 2012 at 8:49 PM.
    100% of information in signatures on this forum involving percentages is false. If you feel as cheated by this atrocity as I do, don't you dare copy this into your signature.
    Hold on... if this percentage was correct at the time of print, that means the actual percentage of false information is less than 100% if this signature is included. Which means that... no! I've become a slave to the system!!

I speedrun DS Pokémon games. Currently, I speedrun Pokémon White 2, and I've also ran Pokémon Pearl in the past. If you want to see Pokémon games pushed to their limits (or if you want to do so yourself!), check out the Pokémon Speedruns website, and if you want to watch me, catch me on my Twitch channel.

I do believe anime and manga has evolved into its own sub-genre of animation, and 2D works created in Japan to that effect should probably be classified as such wherever possible.

But I can't say I get upset over it, and I can't help but roll my eyes when I see someone getting their panties in a twist when some poor soul refers to Naruto as a "cartoon," or the Bleach manga as a "comic" or "graphic novel"... you get the idea.

SHINY RAINBOWS BECKON YOU TO THE ARTIST'S CORNER

Trainer Name: Misha
    3DS FC: 5112-3720-5938
    Friend Safari: Fighting; Pancham, Machoke, Hariyama

Spoiler:- Do you think this store:
    0__0

That disturbingly looks a lot like one of my friends...

Anyways, glad to see this thread's going well. You know my opinion and I'm glad the majority so far shares my opinion with me.
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

My opinion is that, while I understand not wanting people to confuse Eastern and Western animation... people really could stand to not be such dicks about it. Granted, this goes for a lot of things, but when people snap about how Avatar: The Last Airbender or its sequel, they make themselves and, let's be honest, all to a lot of anime fans look like immature bastards who are over-invested in a dumb hobby.
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

The usual links

Why not call Manga Graphic Novels?

I don't care. Everyone knows what they mean anyway.

If someone makes a mistake, one person is enough to correct them. We don't need three or four consecutive posts saying the same thing.

Fighting for real American turtles everywhere. Pro-Turtle since 6/30/13

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    Why not call Manga Graphic Novels?
    Because you want to make it clear what type of graphic novel you mean? And what if you read manga serialised?
    Done here.

Quote Originally Posted by themightydoof View Post
    Because you want to make it clear what type of graphic novel you mean? And what if you read manga serialised?
    Okay "Japanese Graphic Novels that were probably or not serialized in a Magazine."

Okay "Japanese Graphic Novels that were probably or not serialized in a Magazine."
    And that's why we just say 'manga'.
    Done here.

Quote Originally Posted by themightydoof View Post
    And that's why we just say 'manga'.
    Speaking of which, people get pissed over the mispronouncing of Manga.

Speaking of which, people get pissed over the mispronouncing of Manga.
    I call them magnas. And I call anime Japanimation.

I don't really care if someone mislabels something as anime. The Japanese call it all anime anyway. Making a big fuss about it just makes you look like a massive nerd. (for some reason reason people want to look like massive nerd nowadays, so take it however you want)

Watch me tumble stuff:
    http://catharsiscat.tumblr.com/

In regards to the asked question. I can see how sometimes it could get annoying seeing fans correct people all the time. On the other hand, why should fans let people be wrong? When you're in school and get a question wrong on a test, the teacher doesn't just "let it go."

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Eye View Post
    The Japanese call it all anime anyway.
    We aren't Japanese though, in the West anime is used to refer to shows produced in Japan. The Japanese usage of the term is irrelevant.
    My Anime List

Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    In regards to the asked question. I can see how sometimes it could get annoying seeing fans correct people all the time. On the other hand, why should fans let people be wrong? When you're in school and get a question wrong on a test, the teacher doesn't just "let it go."
    Four or five people aren't repeating that the person was wrong every time though.

Fighting for real American turtles everywhere. Pro-Turtle since 6/30/13

Quote Originally Posted by Terra Branford View Post
    Four or five people aren't repeating that the person was wrong every time though.
    Then take it up with them when the time comes. There's really no way to stop it. People will always try to out-internet-cool someone else. It not only for anime/manga.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast