View Poll Results: Does someone confusing something for anime and manga upset you?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, they should know better

6 24.00%
  • No, the fans should learn to let go

19 76.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why so Prissy?

Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    In regards to the asked question. I can see how sometimes it could get annoying seeing fans correct people all the time. On the other hand, why should fans let people be wrong? When you're in school and get a question wrong on a test, the teacher doesn't just "let it go."
    But that largely depends on how people go about correcting them, as well as the kind of person claiming it as a cartoon/comic. If a person mistakes an anime for a cartoon or vice-versa without knowing better and the fans start bombarding him with hate for that, then the fans are the bad guys. However, if the person who mistakes an anime for a cartoon starts mocking the fans for watching something "kiddy," then it's understandable that the fans would retaliate for their show (although badmouthing is a bad way to go about it.)

There's a big difference between:

Person: What's this cartoon called?
    Fan: It's an ANIME, *******. Learn the difference.
    Person: Jeez sorry.

and

Person: haha omg this is so kiddy! why would anyone watch these sh*tty cartoons?
    Person: rlly now? Cuz all I see is sh*t
    *initiate flame war*

Of course, the second example is obviously a troll, but I digress.

Is it annoying when people mistake anime/manga for cartoons/comics? Yes, if they're spouting it as a fact. No, if they're obviously new to this and don't know any better.

Is it wrong to correct them? Of course not. Just don't act like a jerk when doing it. If both sides are civil about it, then there shouldn't be any problems (yes yes, I know the day when that happens on the Internet is the day when hell freezes over, but I'm just saying, if people want to correct each other, then that's the best possible way to go about it.)

But if all else fails and the person just won't get it (like example #2), THEN the fans can ignore him and move on. It's better to stop arguing than continuing with a pointless flame war, I'd say.

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Eye View Post
    I call them magnas. And I call anime Japanimation.

I don't really care if someone mislabels something as anime. The Japanese call it all anime anyway. Making a big fuss about it just makes you look like a massive nerd. (for some reason reason people want to look like massive nerd nowadays, so take it however you want)
    I blame the Big Bang Theory.
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

Quote Originally Posted by Kimchu View Post
    There's a big difference between:

Person: What's this cartoon called?
    Person: Jeez sorry.

and

Person: haha omg this is so kiddy! why would anyone watch these sh*tty cartoons?
    Person: rlly now? Cuz all I see is sh*t
    *initiate flame war*
    There's also a difference between:

and

Fan: It's called anime actually, since it's originally from Japan.

Anger isn't the only response. Some fans are civilized. I certainly agree with you, that being civil is the best option. The ones who DO get legitimately upset about it can be ridiculed of course.
    People shouldn't assume others who are just correcting people on the matter are angry and then make a thread about it

The thought was on my mind so why not create a thread about it?

Wow, interesting poll values.
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

Quote Originally Posted by Jolteon91 View Post
    We aren't Japanese though, in the West anime is used to refer to shows produced in Japan. The Japanese usage of the term is irrelevant.
    What if were Japanese-American? does that mean everything is Half-Anime?
    And you questioned my sanity. My Anime List

Quote Originally Posted by Excitable Boy View Post
    if Arceus is the Alpha Pokemon

wouldn't Mega Arceus be

the O-Mega Pokemon

Quote Originally Posted by h8on-me View Post
    No.

Fighting for real American turtles everywhere. Pro-Turtle since 6/30/13

Funny thing happened today in class. Some people were doing a presentation (one of them being one of the 'tards I mentioned in the Jojo thread. She spent the rest of the class browsing dA for My Little Pony icons for her Mac laptop instead of paying attention... ANYWAY).

Their presentation was on Disney's Mulan and they called it an anime. Before I could even open my mouth, three other of my non-anime watching friends reacted with "a what?!" and criticized them for not knowing the difference.

So yeah, it goes both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Autis-misc View Post
    ...Nationality doesn't really have anything to do with it. It's more about how the term is used in English, as well as the nuances it carries if you're looking to split hairs. Japan obviously has a different meaning and usage for it because it's their term originally, we just adopted it and shaped the meaning to match our perceptions.

SHINY RAINBOWS BECKON YOU TO THE ARTIST'S CORNER

Trainer Name: Misha
    3DS FC: 5112-3720-5938
    Friend Safari: Fighting; Pancham, Machoke, Hariyama

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12