Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Pokédex Completion Thread

Default The Pokédex Completion Thread

Basically, this is a thread in which to share and record details about catching 'em all. This isn't a dedicated trade thread or anything, but rather somewhere to share your progress and experiences with filling in the 'Dex, as well as asking questions and helping others with things, like sharing tips and tricks.

Topics can include, but aren't limited to, completing Regional Dexes in games past and present, managing to conquer the National Dex, or even managing to net yourself a LiveDex!

So I guess I'll start by sharing a bit of my experience. Never completed any Pokedexes at all, at least in the sense of capturing them all. Always relied on sightings and the like. I just never felt encouraged to gather up all the Pokemon from online trading and local trading, y'know? But in Gen VI, I realised how accessible Pokemon were in that gen, and now, I've got a nearly complete LiveDex, thanks to the GTS and XYORAS's huge Pokemon selections, only missing the Sinnoh & Unova Mythicals (sans Darkrai & Phione) and Volcanion, for obvious reasons. And since they're all upcoming events, my LiveDex will be complete most likely for December. To be honest, I kinda feel stupidly proud of it because I've done what I've always wanted to do with these games, and I'm really excited for Sun & Moon to introduce more Pokemon to collect!

Pokedexes Completed:

The Kalos Dexes (Pokemon X)
    The Hoenn Dex (Pokemon Alpha Sapphire)
    The National Dex* (Generation VI)

*excluding certain Pokemon the game doesn't consider necessary due to event status
    Last edited by Aromatic Mist; 17th May 2016 at 10:13 PM.
    Even the Hateful Succumb to Love.

I have managed to complete fully my Pokemon X and Alpha Sapphire dexes, events included. And I'm extremely close to completing my Platinum dex
    Shinies
    Search:
    Random:
    SR:
    Traded away:
    Gift:
    In-game:
    MM:
    Dexnav:
    Trade: Sylveon

Friend code: 4356-0061-9735, Redjirachi

Latest shiny: Omanyte(40 SR!)

I managed to complete the Pokedex on Diamond, Platinum, Heartgold, and Black. I'm still waiting for Keldeo, Genesect, and Volcanion for my X and Alpha Sapphire games because I've lost Keldo and Genesect when my previous Black 2 game got chewed up by the dog and Volcanion is the only Pokemon that hasn't been released yet. It's a good thing Keldeo and Genesect events are coming out later this year.

Has anyone ever managed to legitimately get all 386 Pokemon in the Gen III games?
    Shinies
    Search:
    Random:
    SR:
    Traded away:
    Gift:
    In-game:
    MM:
    Dexnav:
    Trade: Sylveon

Friend code: 4356-0061-9735, Redjirachi

Latest shiny: Omanyte(40 SR!)

I have been able to compete my pokedex since Platinum. I was 4 pokemon short in Emerald :/
    I also keep one of every species in my Pokemon Bank. I've been doing that since Platinum and that is why I have been able to complete all of my dexs so easily
    Last edited by TheEmeraldKnight; 12th April 2016 at 2:46 AM.

FC: 2406-6166-3485 IGN: Emerald

I've already complete the dex, minus events, in gen 6. Currently working on a living dex. I've started by going through my bank and gen 6 games an putting things in designated boxes going gen by gen. Just picked through the gen 4 pokes and will start 5 before long.

I completed my Pokédex in Diamond, most of it from randomly trading on the GTS. I had sooooo many Pokémon with random OTs and IDs that weren't mine, lol.
    Had over 400 hours of play time on that save file, which is the most I've ever had on any Pokémon game.

Quote Originally Posted by RedJirachi View Post
    Has anyone ever managed to legitimately get all 386 Pokemon in the Gen III games?
    I did it in Sapphire. Took over 2 years but it was worth it. Ever since then I've made a habit of completing the Pokedex in every generation - I have a full National Dex in Diamond, Black, and X (well, excluding Volcanion of course). I never have managed to complete a living dex though.
    Current shiny hunts:
    SoulSilver BQ #10 - Route 36 (Vulpix repel trick) - 7500 REs
    Omega Ruby BQ #6 - Route 120 - 500 REs | White 2 BQ #6 - Volcarona - 9200 SRs

Latest shiny:

Omega Ruby BQ #5 - 10964 REs - 5/8/16

~I know I could lie, but I'm telling the truth
    Wherever I go there's a shadow of you~

Out of curiousity, do forms matter to anyone? I've got all the forms that show up different in box (so including drastic gender differences and seasonal forms, Vivillon patterns, Florges colours) in my LiveDex except those that'd be unrealistic to obtain (like all Arceus forms, all Genesect Drives) or those where it's impossible to bank them and/or you can't have more than one at once (BW Kyurem, Cosplay Pikachu).
    Even the Hateful Succumb to Love.

I completed the National Dex in OR several months ago.

Reset Y and went for a better Yveltal. Got one and shifted gears to focus on a Living Dex in my Bank. Completed my Living Dex, minus Event Pokes, 2 weeks ago. Just need to shift them through AS and X to get Shiny and Oval charms on those games.

Think I'll go for my "Living Wonder non-English foreign only Dex" next.. Ha!

I completed my first dex in Platinum, and have carried over the complete dex in each game. I missed the Genesect event when it was live, but had an extra Darkrai and traded for it. As for forms, I'm a bit spotty on those. In my living dex (which is arranged in numerical order, all evolutions present yeesh!) I do have all the vivillon forms, but not all the forms of Deerling or Sawsbuck. I once had it in my head to collect all the Unown forms, but haven't done so. Now I'm just waiting for Volcanion......
    My current shinies!

Gifts: SR Event:
    Random:
    Trade: Dex-Nav:
    MM:
    X/Y FS: Chain Fishing:

FC for ORAS: 2767-1817-3785
    Type: Poison- Muk, Cascoon, Venomoth

Just about done with my Living dex. Only need two non event mons for it. Groudon and Articuno. The first I'll get from OR and the second from the birds event.

Yknot is offline Дми́трий Дми́триевич

Thanks to GTS I have completed the entire pokedex since Gen IV with the exception of some event only mons in gen V like genesect and meloetta.

Once pokebank came out I realized how important it was to get a living dex for all my games and I started importing all my mons from white and earlier from platinum. My dexes from those games were already complete so it went pretty quickly, however I had a lot of breeding and evolving to do in order to make a living dex. I never heard anyone call it a living dex before when I was doing it at the time it just seemed like it made sense to do it that way with pokebank.

I forgot about Volcanion and so I did a bunch of wondertrading when the event came out hoping to get lucky. I got lucky twice, but unfortunately they were hacks, so I still need a legit Volcanion for my living dex, however the hacks technically did complete my living dex 721/721 on Alpha Sapphire.

I have a trade partner who currently has a legit Volcanion and I am determined to soft reset for a shiny Zekrom so that I can trade him for the legit Volcanion.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3fiddy View Post
    ... that Ribbon Metagross is the coolest thing I have seen in pokemon for a long time...

Hmm, I believe that I've compleated the dčx for the first time in XY and ORAS.
    It was manly thanks to the GTS and some kind friends here on Serebii.
    It was really rewarding in the end!
    My Shiny Pokčmon (Since 2001): (X2)

Last update: 19/3/2014

3DS Friend code: 1950-8255-4764
    Friend Safari: Bug (Illumise, Ledyba and Venomoth)

I completed my Pokedex in Omega Ruby Alpha Sapphire which is the first time I've completed my Pokedex since generation 3. The fact that all the Pokemon where accessible like you say. It made it a lot more fun to find all of them. Especially the legendaries it added an extra challenge in the game

I complete the national pokedex for Alpha Sapphire, Y and White 2. I complete it for the shiny charm which is worth more than a diploma in my opinion.
    Dragon user - can counter Steel with Fire attacks and counter Fairy with Poison and Steel attacks.

Currently playing Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire. Waiting for Sun and Moon to come out.

Currently own: All gen 4, 5 and 6 main series games.

Obtained shiny Latias on the 14/4/2016

I have Asperger Syndrome which makes it hard to socialize, make friends, date and communicate.

My apologies to the users and mods of Serebii for my unprofessional posts.

I have not yet completed any pokedexes BUT I am waiting for Manaphy to be released as that is the only previously released event pokemon I am missing from my roster... then I would have to transfer all my Pokemon to my X and Y and AlphaSapphire and OmegaRuby versions for me to complete those Pokedexes.

I am however wondering If I should get the Red/Blue/Yellow re released versions for Sun and Moon? I own the originals can still play them

In my Alpha Sapphire, I have completed both the National Dex and a Living Dex. Though I question the legitimacy of some of the event legends (as I got them from an old friend I had back in first semester), so the whole events through the year thing puts some peace into my mind.

Complete National Pokédex

My Personal Pokémon Website: Ace Trainer Alex Webpage
    Pokémon X Version and Alpha Sapphire Version: Alex - 2535-4116-7272
    Friend Safari: Poison -

Quote Originally Posted by Ace Trainer Alex View Post
    In my Alpha Sapphire, I have completed both the National Dex and a Living Dex. Though I question the legitimacy of some of the event legends (as I got them from an old friend I had back in first semester), so the whole events through the year thing puts some peace into my mind.
    You have no idea how patient I am for this 20th anniversary Manaphy event to come up. THAT is the only Pokémon I need to complete my dex in X,Y,AlphaSapphire, and OmegaRuby. I have waited since 2008 for this.

I completed the dex in X Y and was 2 shy in BW. I now am working on doing the whole dex (every legendary, every evolution and form) in both of my pokemon banks. I just transfer all the boxes down to my game and *POOF* as soon as I beat the elite 4 I have the shiny charm. My daughter and I have been working on doing the same thing in BW so we can get the shiny charm easier.
    You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

Finished my living dex, and have it stored in pokebank.

I wish I had the time to complete my National Dex in Alpha Sapphire :P I at least completed the Kanto Dex in Leaf Green :P
    Happy 20th Anniversary Pokemon!

I like this thread. We have had many threads on this subject before, but never one for more in-depth discussion about it.

I own all main series Pokemon games and I have completed the Pokedex at least once in every one of them. I have always liked completing the Pokedex in the games (with one exception, but we'll get to that). It is one of the most fun things in the games for me, even if it takes a bit of time. How long it takes tend to vary a bit. Originally wanted to write a really long post about this but I have decided to shorten it down a bit. While my post might seem long, what I originally had in mind was something much longer. Below will be some short summaries for how it has been for me in each generation.

Gen 1

Pretty ease due to the low amount of Pokemon, and all are obtainable in the games. There weren't many good training spots but it wasn't really necessary, battling wild Pokemon at the Cerulean Cave was honestly enough. Some Pokemon could be hard to catch or take a long time to find but it all worked out in the end. Having access to Gen 2 which has breeding was incredibly helpful to get some basic stages of Pokemon that couldn't be caught in the wild.

I got 150/151 Pokemon at the highest here, the one I was missing was Mew. Got it through the Mew Trick once on my very last replay of Red, but could never bother to complete the Pokedex afterwards.

Gen 2

Similar to Gen 1, easy since there were few Pokemon at this time. These games had worse training spots than Gen 1 but it did honestly not matter. The Training House, the Rival rematches twice a week and weak wild Pokemon at Mt. Silver was enough. I know about the SS. Aqua now but found out about it too late while playing the games. Having access to Gen 1 was necessary this time around though since some Pokemon could not be obtained in this generation alone.

I got 249/251 this generation, missing Mew and Celebi. There was the Mew trick from Gen 1, but I never got a Mew through sent to this generation. I also heard from a member on a different forum that there once was a Celebi Event in my country, but I missed it.

Gen 3

This was a bit more difficult than Gen 1 & 2. But not that much. There were considerably more Pokemon this generation, but the new and good training spots with the PokeNav and VS. Seeker was enough to make up for it. I also like how this generation required you to have all games in order to complete the Pokedex, R/S, FR/LG and Emerald all compensated each other really well. Not having access to Gen 1 & 2 was not a problem in the end. Though, some Pokemon were much easier to get from the side-games Colosseum and XD than in the main games, most notably the Johto starters and legendaries. So I'm happy I had access to these games as well.

I got up to 382/386 this generation. Missing Mew, Celebi, Jirachi and Deoxys. I know Jirachi could have been obtained through Pokemon Channel, but I never owned that game. I also know there was a Deoxys event in my country, but I missed it. Don't know about Mew and Celebi though.

Gen 4

The only generation I'm splitting in two because of the differences between the games.

Completing the Pokedex in D/P/P took quite some time. There were more Pokemon than previously and while there were still good training spots, it still took a while because of how slow the games were. I liked how almost all Pokemon could be obtained in these games alone, I didn't need to send over many ones from Gen 3 even if I had a complete Pokedex there. It was doable, but it was not as easy or went as fast as for previous generations.

HG/SS on the other hand are in my opinion the worst games ever when it comes to completing the Pokedex. There were absolutely no good training spots whatsoever, and the bad ones were time-based which was horrifyingly awful. The Pokemon availability was bad too as the games just showcase Kanto Pokemon, I had to send over many others from Gen 3 and trade over even others from D/P/P. HG/SS are my least favorite games in the series and a big part of this is how bad they are from a Pokedex perspective. I did complete the Pokedex in these games, but it wasn't until more than 5 years after they had been released.

I got all Pokemon this generation, 493/493. Though it didn't happen until the summer of 2011 for D/P/P, I was missing several Event legends and got them through Wi-Fi trades when I got back to these forums. I am pretty sure the last Pokemon I got for D/P/P was Celebi. As for HG/SS, I didn't complete the Pokedex in them until in December 2015, which is the longest it has ever taken me to complete a Pokedex counting from when I first got the games.

Gen 5

One of my favorite generations when it comes to completing the Pokedex. There were more Pokemon than before, but the epic training spots and the new Exp. system made it easier than ever before to complete the Pokedex. Yes, even easier than in Gen 1. These games had a few Pokemon missing but I could easily get them on Gen 4 and send them over to here. Completing the Pokedex in this generation was more fun than it had ever been before.

I got all Pokemon this generation too, 649/649. I completed it during the summer of 2013, the last Pokemon I needed was Meloetta.

Gen 6

Another great generation for Pokedex completion. These games have fantastic training spots and while they went back to the old Exp. system, it didn't really matter. The new Exp. Share makes up for it, it is really fantastic for Pokedex completion. These games were also missing a couple Pokemon each but once again, I could easily get them from Gen 5. Completing the Pokedex was super fun here too.

I currently have 720/721, missing Volcanion. I know it has been released in Japan but I'm waiting for some kind of international release so I could get one or preferably four of my own.

Overall, I'd rank the generations like this when it comes to completing the Pokedex:

6 > 5 > 1 > 2 > 3 > 4

Gen 6 is the best with Gen 5 right behind it, while Gen 4 is at the bottom, especially HG/SS which are the very worst.

My battle cry rings with uncertainty
    When monsters block the way we'll take them down
    You will know our names

I completed my regional dex in alpha sapphire. I'm currently completing the national dex. I'm going by generation. Generantions one and three are completed. Gens 2 and 4 are almost done. I left trade item evolutions for last. Working on gen 5 at the moment.

This is my first time doing this. I decided to do it because gen 6 made it more convient. It's just taking forever because I get burn out so easily. Gen 4 evolutions are the worst. Gen 5 is also driving me insane due to all the high evolutions. Level 69? Really? What do they use a number generator when picking levels?
    Currently completing the National Dex for the first time ever!
    54 to go!

Gen 1: I completed this one using the 3DS yellow version. Did it all with 1 'cart', using the ditto glitch ONLY for unobtainable/trade required pokemon. I live in a small town in Korea so I can't get anyone to help me with it. I Doubt I ever did this in my RBY days since I had a gameshark back then.

Gen 2-3: Never 100% completed without a gameshark.

Gen4: Here I completed a platinum and SS file with 100% completion. GTS was a great asset in this department.

Gen 5: Yes. GTS ftw!

Gen 6: Yes. I had prepped for about 2 months before XY to make a living dex in Gen 5 to transfer. Was so worth it lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast