Thread: How many regions in one pokémon game would be too much?

Default How many regions in one pokémon game would be too much?

Having more than one region in a pokémon game has been a fan wish since G/S/C (HG/SS), but hasn't returned since. Yet this option does seem to have a lot of merit, especially if the games are going to expand to a more powerful system.

The question that arises, however, is what would be a good amount of regions in a game?

Would it be possible to stuff all regions into one game? Probably, but that would put Gamefreak in a tough position for several reasons:
    - Yearly releases would become near impossible
    - Trying to sell two versions of the same game might be tougher (although for a likely $60 this will be a hard sell anyway)
    - What would they do next?
    - Marketing the newly added region will be tougher
    - People might get stressed before even starting the game

Say they put all regions in the game and let you choose where you start and perhaps even the city where you want to begin your adventure, it would make pokémon something completely new, yet provide the nostalgia many people seem to have (you can start in whatever region you like best, like say Kanto).

You can even do away with the professor opening of the game, you could for example start in Pewter City and have Brock give you the choice of your first pokémon which don't have to be traditional starters.

They could do this by having battles scale with level. This allows you to tackle gyms and side quests in any order to give an open world style feel to the game, something Nintendo seems to love doing as of late (Zelda, Mario, Xenoblade).

The other regions will unlock when you progress in the game giving you an interesting end-game journey that will scale with the level of your pokémon.

Based on the above premise I'd say 3 regions would be a nice balance. Going any further would become overwhelming. What do you think would be a suitable amount of regions they could put in one game?

I do agree with picking where you'd like to start, and possibly limiting it to 3 regions may be best. As much as I'd love to see all regions in one game, I know it'd be high-near impossible as well as jack up the cost of the game itself (if they DID manage to design a game with all 7 regions so far).

I think the game would be too long to put in every region in its entirety (i.e. where you have to progress through all 8 gyms in each region).

What they could do though is bring back familiar towns or areas from previous regions that you need to travel to to do something. That way you would technically travel to the region, you just wouldn't have the entire region open to you.

One plot idea that I have always liked is having the whole in-game world threatened by some all powerful force (e.g. an ancient evil pokemon, or an indomitable enemy team) and requiring the hero-character to either build a team of other strong trainers (which would require them to travel to previous regions, battle familiar/popular gym leaders, and then recruit them) or track down a mighty legendary pokemon to help you. With that second option, clues pointing to the location of the legendary would be scattered across all regions of the world (either fragments of a map, or cryptic clues from people) and you have to revisit familiar locations from past regions to uncover those clues.

Another option going forward might be for the games to build on each other. So you would have a base game with one region, and then you add to it with DLC every now and then with a new region/new plots/quests etc. I'm not a big gamer outside of Pokémon, so I'm not sure whether that would actually work from a technical perspective.

About three regions in one game would be nice. The player could start with a new region, then head to Kanto and Johto post-game.

I would say no more than two for a few reasons;

Levels would be a problem after going through two complete regions, your Pokémon would be too high-leveled for the third region to have a scaling difficulty (unless you intentionally use different Pokémon or a level resetter is introduced for story progression).
    Adding more than two regions with standard Pokémon level story would make a bloated game, players would probably be fatigued with the huge amount of walking/running/cycling/surfing or otherwise riding required to "get to the end".
    Having Pokémon in-game that you can't catch until you get to a third/fourth/fifth region would be tiresome for fans of those Pokémon that want to use them straight-away or early game.
    There would be so many trainers to battle, too many. Also, some of the trainers in the later regions would have been able to become Champions of the first region you conquered purely because of the high level of their Pokémon, which would make your title hold less meaning, in my opinion.

Lastly, the more regions there are in one game, the less money the developers could potentially make. Yes, you could increase the price of a game because it has more content, but it ultimately still makes less money.
    Gamers are pretty frugal with their spending. Since Steam and other online retail options became available, people want to pay less for their games. So, a popular franchise (we'll use Pokémon) now tends to have a set price for each new release of their games that people get used to paying. In Australia, the median price for a new Pokémon game is $59.95. Supermarkets tend to sell them for $49.95, whereas select retailers sell for $69.95. EB Games tends to stay in the middle and sells them for $59.95. Of course, they and other retailers then market 'exclusives' so they can grab a few more bucks. Adding a region onto a Pokémon game isn't going to mean double the money, because far less people are willing (or can afford) to pay $119.95 for a Pokémon game, because of the precedent. You could probably sell one with another region for $79.95 but even then you would need a great marketing team and that price would still be pushing it, in Australia at least. It would make more sense for the developer to release seperate regions in seperate games, generating more money.

I'm betting that last reason is why we haven't seen a two-region game since HG/SS and even those games were a remake of GSC and there would have been an uproar if those games didn't feature Kanto as well as Johto.
    Last edited by polkiman777; Yesterday at 6:50 AM.

Two should be the maximum they even attempt. Kanto was so barren in GSC and it was only HGSS that gave it the redemption it needed. Even then, for today's Pokémon standards the regions are much larger than Johto and Kanto. I'd be afraid of them stretching themselves too thin and both regions feeling incomplete.*

Especially with GF still releasing games pretty much annually(which I think they need to work on how they handle this), they need to focus on adjusting to larger scale games first before even attempting 2 regions in one game

"Above all, video games are meant to be just one thing: Fun for everyone." -Satoru Iwata

Quote Originally Posted by Nintendoom View Post
    Two should be the maximum they even attempt. Kanto was so barren in GSC and it was only HGSS that gave it the redemption it needed. Even then, for today's Pokémon standards the regions are much larger than Johto and Kanto. I'd be afraid of them stretching themselves too thin and both regions feeling incomplete.*

Especially with GF still releasing games pretty much annually(which I think they need to work on how they handle this), they need to focus on adjusting to larger scale games first before even attempting 2 regions in one game
    I hope the new Switch game is good! I think it will be, though. I'm thinking Kanto remake. The only good thing to come out of that blasted RotomDex's mouth was, "Alola and Kanto seem pretty far apart, but they're closer than you might think!".

Here's my (hopeful) take on the release schedule for Pokémon in the next few years;

Kanto to Johto game tieing in to Yellow's 20th Anniversary + Hoenn to Sinnoh game to keep people quiet about Gen 1 getting all the love and tieing in with Platinum's 10th Anniversary, plus guaranteeing more Switch sales.

Gen VIII

Unova remake – Black & White 10th Anniversary

2021-22
    New Console
    Gen IX
    Possible 2nd Unovan remake to tie in with Black 2 & White 2 10th Anniversary

Kalos remake titled Pokemon Z tieing in to XY 10th anniversary

2024-25
    Gen X

2026 - Series ends
    Alola remake tieing into Sun and Moon 10th anniversary/30th Anniversary of Pokemon/It all comes together quote would have more meaning if these were the last games in the series

Also;
    Possible spinoff remakes

Pokemon Conquest 2
    Orre Region game with Shadow Pokemon

(Really want these)
    Mystery Dungeon
    Rumble
    Ranger

E-shop rereleases
    Pokemon TCG
    Pokemon TCG 2 (Unlikely with Rainbow Rocket being a thing but one can hope)
    Pokemon Pinball
    Pokemon Pinball RSE
    Pokemon Stadium – compatibility with digital RBY
    Pokemon Snap
    Pokemon Stadium 2 – compatibility with digital GS
    Pokemon Colosseum
    Pokemon XD

*EDIT - I realise now that this isn't really on topic, just got excited to share my opinion of the potential releases! If anyone could tell me where this would be more appropriate that would be great, cheers!*
    Last edited by polkiman777; Yesterday at 4:28 PM. Reason: Relevancy