Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xenoblade Chronicles....or whatever it's called

Default Xenoblade Chronicles....or whatever it's called

The Wii game.

I honestly couldn't get into it.The story seemed interesting,but the gameplay killed it for me.I didn't like how it was pretty much running around the battlefield waiting to use special moves.Kept it for about two days and sent it back.What's everyone else's opinion on it?

On another note,I think this might be my first thread.

I found TLS to be superior to XBC in almost every way but I do know I am in the minority there.

Although it's strange the battle system is the thing it is most widely praised for and you don't like it.
    Last edited by Crawley007; 15th November 2012 at 11:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Born Better View Post
    The Wii game.

I honestly couldn't get into it.The story seemed interesting,but the gameplay killed it for me.I didn't like how it was pretty much running around the battlefield waiting to use special moves.Kept it for about two days and sent it back.What's everyone else's opinion on it?
    What a terrible thread you created for one of the greatest JRPG for the Wii.
    Last edited by blaze boy; 15th November 2012 at 12:30 AM.

"Now Count up your Sins"- Kamen Rider W

Quote Originally Posted by Clamps View Post
    And here we have GAMEFREAK EMPLOYEE Blaze Boy confirming once again that Red/Blue/Yellow/Green/ and Gold/Silver/Crystal will not be on the 3DS virtual console E-shop!

You heard it hear first, folks.
    ^ Best post ever.

twitter: http://twitter.com/SamuraiDon

Good job on returning the best game on the Wii in just two days.

Meh, different tastes. Anyways, yup, wrong place to post but with the reception and premise of the game solely in mind; who would? Beat the game a few months back and lent it to my friend and she's adoring it. It's my third favourite RPG to date (second being Tales of Symphonia and first being Pokemon Black 2 and/or Pokemon White 2). I know there are oodles of side-missions but I don't know, I don't have the motivation to play them when I get it back.
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

What a disastrous first thread.

Xenoblade was the best JRPG this generation. That's all I'm going to say about this subject.

I tried it and I didn't really want to play past 10 hours. I didn't think it was a bad game; I guess JRPGs aren't really my thing.

itp /ovgd/ shows off that it's okay to piss all over someone because they have different tastes

Incidentally, I remember the game being massively hyped (but only by people on the Internet), then it just sort of faded into the ether -- kinda like Epic Mickey in that regard, also for the Wii. I get the feeling that any potentially great game for the Wii, except in certain circles, just kind of has that problem of being "for the Wii."

Also incidentally, I haven't played this game because a. I don't play good games; b. I don't own a Wii and have no income of my own; and c. I've yet to be given a real reason to play it.
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

The usual links

I'm interested in getting it.

It's really expensive on Amazon though.

Report rather than minimod please.

I'll move it to the correct section then.

I have not played it myself, although a friend may be lending it to me during the summer break. I have seen him play a short bit of it and it did look very nice graphically. But I guess I will see what I think of the game firsthand sooner or later.

A parody of the Pokemon Colosseum game, full of pastries and Miror B.
    Completed. Four times winner of Best Comedy/Funniest Fic.

The BBS Forums! Join in!
    Gain achievements for activity on forums & the games!

Tied to this Pokemon Magazine! Looking for contributors - check it out!
    Why should you? Well, Wynaut?
    Current article: Fan Art Reviews: toufu's Manga! Check out neat art of Golduck and Shinx, among others!
    Avatar by minty-fivestar on DA, with edited background/cropping. Fic banner by cieux.

Greatest game I have ever played. Whoever has a Wii and doesn't have this game is really missing out.
    Eagerly waiting for: Monolith Soft Wii U game

Best JRPG of this generation. Great story, great battles, great locations, freaking masterful soundtrack. I can see how you didn't get into the fighting. It seems to be hit or miss with most people.
    To right the countless wrongs of our day, we shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise. What a wonderful world such would be...

This was probably THE best game you could have bought for the Wii, and you returned it...

I found it totally immersive and I thought the fighting was great. The fast travel mechanic was a favourite of mine.
    The most Superior Snivy. Left, good time here though. I loved this place.

Quote Originally Posted by Born Better View Post
    The Wii game.

I will admit that the battle system is the weakest part of the game. Why they went with the boring and repetitive MMORPG-style, I will never know, especially since they've already proven in the past that they can make a fun and engaging battle system. Not to mention the fact that the sidequests consist primarily of fetch quests can be off-putting (again, they've shown they can do better in other games; WTF Monolith?). So if the battle system and gameplay are going to be a deal breaker, this probably isn't the game for you.

But the story is fantastic, as is the music. I still think it's worth at least finishing before making any real decisions on where the game stands, simply on those grounds. I mean, it's no Xenosaga (then again, no RPG is), but the story will keep you engaged from beginning to end with plenty of twists and turns.

So in conclusion, is this game the best Wii game out there? Probably not. But it's still a fantastic game.

So how would I rate this? Since I don't believe in numerical ratings, I'll say 'finish it'. The story alone makes it worth finishing, though you might want to skip the sidequests if they start to get tedious.

Quote Originally Posted by Crawley007 View Post
    I found it superior to XBC in almost every way but I do know I am in the minority there.

Although it's strange the battle system is the thing it is most widely praised for and you don't like it.
    The battle system is boring. You just wait for your special attack to charge up. Some bosses take an hour or two to kill; way too long. It's nothing more than busywork and padding. I can name you ten games that did a better job with their battle systems than this game, and they're all on previous gen consoles.
    Last edited by SBaby; 15th November 2012 at 8:11 PM.
    A Winner Is You!!!

If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done.
    - Bruce Lee

The worst thing you can do in any business is blame the customer.
    - Willie 'Jack' Degel

Quote Originally Posted by SBaby View Post
    The battle system is boring. You just wait for your special attack to charge up. Some bosses take an hour or two to kill; way too long. It's nothing more than busywork and padding. I can name you ten games that did a better job with their battle systems than this game, and they're all on previous gen consoles.
    Oh I agree. I wasn't saying I found it great either but I know plenty of people who do. I didn't mind it though.
    I had much more fun with The Last Story due to the better battle system.

The battle system isn't bad enough to prevent it from being the best JRPG of the generation. If you want a quick, effortless battle system, go play Final Fantasy XIII.

Not to mention that upgrading arts and such brings the cool down time down.

Oh, and Melia is reason enough to finish this.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFlame View Post
    The battle system isn't bad enough to prevent it from being the best JRPG of the generation. If you want a quick, effortless battle system, go play Final Fantasy XIII.
    The battle system of FF13 is mostly effortless because if you stop to make an effort, you tend to get shafted.

The usual links

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFlame View Post
    First of all, FFXIII isn't the only JRPG out there, and the Final Fantasy series is hardly an example I'd use of a good battle system (even though some of the games in that series do admittedly have more interesting battle systems than this one).

You keep saying this game is the best JRPG of the generation, but you have yet to give one real reason (unless having a boring battle system is somehow a reason; I'll have to defer to other reviewers on that one). I've given several reasons why I don't think it's the best one out there, and the battle system while annoying and tedious, isn't the only thing I had a problem with.

But if you'd like me to list games that aren't Final Fantasy or Persona games that have better battle systems in them, I'll be glad to do it. Just say the word. I'll even explain why the battle systems are better.

I'm not saying this is a bad game by any means. Don't misunderstand me. The guys at Monolith are miracle workers. For the first time in years, I legitimately BOUGHT a JRPG without bootlegging it first, brand new no less (granted, I'll be buying Ni No Kuni too, but everybody's gonna be buying that one).

But I'm not vain enough to not admit that Xenoblade Chronicles might be a bit overrated.

Calling this game the 'best JRPG of its generation' is only going to make more game designers go with this format for the battle system in their games, and I think that's the worst thing that could happen to the normally innovative JRPG genre.
    Last edited by SBaby; 16th November 2012 at 8:58 AM.
    A Winner Is You!!!

If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done.
    - Bruce Lee

The worst thing you can do in any business is blame the customer.
    - Willie 'Jack' Degel

I hated FFXIII.Battle system was whatever and I hated the characters.

On topic-I pretty much figured all the praise was about the story,especially after playing it.I really wanted to go through it,but the battle system was so crap a** boring that it wasn't worth it.

A game I consider opposite to this,though not so great,is sonic generations.Story is none existent,it only takes about 6 hours to beat,and there's the final boss but I keep playing it because the rest of the game is a lot of fun.

It's definitely one of the best RPGs I've ever played.

I personally enjoyed the battle system, though I made it a note to change my party regularly to keep everyone's affinity balanced and to keep things from getting dull.

People who complain about boss fights taking too long are either underleveled, or playing poorly, as there wasn't a single fight that took over 10 minutes or so in my case, and I typically fought everything while at the same level or slightly lower.
    Last edited by Rakurai; 16th November 2012 at 8:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakurai View Post
    People who complain about boss fights taking too long are either underleveled, or playing poorly, as there wasn't a single fight that took over 10 minutes or so in my case, and I typically fought everything while at the same level or slightly lower.
    One person reports 1-2 hours, another reports a cap of ten minutes "while at the same level or slightly lower" (presumably than the boss). This type of a shift only happens with extreme level grinding (possibly because the game blatantly suppresses your leveling progress) or poor combat formulas, neither of which enthuses me. (Also, arguably, ten minutes is still a bit much.)

The usual links

To be fair, the level system could have been better. Just being 3 levels under your enemy puts you at a huge disadvantage. Being equal makes the game lol while being over breaks the game.

The only way a boss could take a hour is if someone wasn't paying any attention to the clear instructions the game gives on how to damage certain enemies properly.

On average, I'd say most bosses should only take three or four minutes if you're around their level. It's the strongest optional bosses that start pushing towards 10 minutes, and even then, they can still be brought down in a normal amount of time with a well-equipped party and the right tactics. Your level in relation to whatever you're fighting does significantly influence how long a fight takes, though, as when a lower leveled character attacks a higher leveled one, the latter receives a bonus to their evasion and defense for every level. The reverse is true for the lower leveled character.

I actually liked the battle system in this game a lot, much more than games like Final Fantasy IV-VI, at least. I find a game in which you have complete control over a single character more engaging than a game where you simply select actions in a turn-based style.
    Eagerly waiting for: Monolith Soft Wii U game

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast