Thread: offensive OU team please rate

Default offensive OU team please rate

Heres my team, please make suggestions for improvements if u are an experienced battler. I am looking for suggestions on just about anything (pokes/moves/evs/item) as long as it would be useful.

Starmie @ choice specs
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Surf
    - Thunderbolt
    - Ice Beam
    - Trick
    starmie is good for countering alot of fast non-scarfed pokemon that are weak to its moves. the rest of the moves are for coverage and hit many pokemon super effectively. starmie is also somewhat durable and its water typing helps for switching into fire/water attacks. choice specs are newly added with trick in place of thunder wave to screw over a variety of pokes.

Gengar (F) @ Black Sludge
    Trait: Levitate
    - Substitute
    - Shadow Ball
    - Destiny Bond
    - Disable
    gengar is useful for switching into alot of ground and fighting attacks because he cant really switch into anything that he takes damage from. substitute gives immunity to status, shadow ball is the attacking move which gets stab and may lower sp def. destiny bond is for taking out pokemon that u know will kill u anyway such as boosted pokemon (from weather and moves). disable is for choiced/mono attackers, fighting types that only have one move to damage gengar, helping to predict a destiny bond, and possibly saving his life against a pursuit user. i still havent decided whether or not to replace dbond with focus blast because i do like destiny bond, but the lack of coverage hurts.

Heatran @ Choice Scarf/leftovers?
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Modest/Timid?
    - Flamethrower/Fire blast?
    - Earth power
    - Hidden Power [ice]
    - ???
    the moves mostly depend on what item i use, but with fire blast/flamethrower im looking for an explanation of why i should use one over the other. earth power and hp ice are for coverage and i was thinking maybe sr or status for the last slot but idk what i would use if i went with a choice item.

Gliscor (F) @ Toxic Orb
    Trait: Poison Heal
    EVs: 244 HP / 136 Def / 128 Spd
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Ice Fang
    - Earthquake
    - Toxic
    - Protect
    gliscor is for switching into physical attckers and the occasional special fire attack when my two water types are gone. i used to run substitute, toxic, eq, and protect but found the poison and paralyzing didnt work too well together and i would get countered easily by pokemon immune to earthquake and toxic like gengar and giscor with ice fang. with this moveset he is more offensive and protect is there for poison heal recovery. toxic is for wearing down pokes that arent steel or poison. the hp evs give him max poison heal recovery and the rest are spread to give him a good defense and keep a decent speed.

Ferrothorn (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Iron Barbs
    EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
    - Stealth Rock
    - Power Whip/gyro ball/protect
    - Thunder Wave
    - leech seed
    ferrothorn is very useful for switching into grass, electric, dark, and ghost attacks, especially with his defenses. the given evs give him max hp to survive for the longest possible and provide a good spread between def and sp def. i get stealth rock up when i can and thunder wave is to paralyze switch ins and set up pokes. leech seed is for forcing switches, dealing passive damage, and recovery at the same time, and for the last slot i think power whip is a powerful stab move that is good against alot of pokes, but anything that gets hits hard by it usually wouldnt stay in against ferrothorn anyway. gyro ball would be a strong stab attack, but idk if it would work well with thunder wave. protect would be to buy a turn for recovery and/or for scouting, but this would leave him completely shutdown by taunt.

Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf
    - Volt Switch
    - Hydro Pump
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Trick
    rotom is very useful for easing the prediction of switchins with volt switch, and if predicted correctly hydro pump can nail expected switch ins like most ground types. hp ice is for the best coverage against other types, i used hp grass briefly when i first made the team because i was worried about gastrodon, but never ended up using it much so i switched to ice. trick is useful for screwing over a whole variety of pokemon if timed correctly. rotom is also used with starmie to switch in against fire and water attacks but they are usually not the best at taking hits. should i replace him?

any advice and suggestions are always appreciated! thank you!
    Last edited by adwf194; 5th September 2013 at 1:39 AM. Reason: added pics
    white fc: 1378 0695 7763

I work to make and complete trades with ANYONE. visit my trade shop here:
    http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=553801

Starmie
    If you're wanting an offensive Starmie, switch the wise glasses to a Life Orb.
    Also, I would leave the Thunder Wave to Ferrothorn and either replace it with Rapid Spin or Psyshock

Gengar
    If someone brings in a Normal Poke, you cannot attack it directly. Destiny Bond is nice, but if you're worried about a pursuit trapper, simply get behind a Sub, let them hit the sub, then disable the Pursuit. I would switch D.Bond to either HP Fighting or Focus Miss (Blast).

Gliscor
    Since it appears you're running it primarily as a wall, why not run Stealth Rocks on it in place of Ice Fang or U-Turn, this would free up SR from Ferrothorn for either Leech Seed or Gyro Ball. (depending on your preference)

Ferrothorn
    Switch SR to either Leech Seed or Gyro Ball

Hope this helps
    Banner by: Dragonicwari

PS Names: SoundofMadness, SoM

Quote Originally Posted by SoundofMadness View Post
    Starmie
    If you're wanting an offensive Starmie, switch the wise glasses to a Life Orb.
    Also, I would leave the Thunder Wave to Ferrothorn and either replace it with Rapid Spin or Psyshock

Gengar
    If someone brings in a Normal Poke, you cannot attack it directly. Destiny Bond is nice, but if you're worried about a pursuit trapper, simply get behind a Sub, let them hit the sub, then disable the Pursuit. I would switch D.Bond to either HP Fighting or Focus Miss (Blast).

Gliscor
    Since it appears you're running it primarily as a wall, why not run Stealth Rocks on it in place of Ice Fang or U-Turn, this would free up SR from Ferrothorn for either Leech Seed or Gyro Ball. (depending on your preference)

Ferrothorn
    Switch SR to either Leech Seed or Gyro Ball

Hope this helps
    it does help, thank you. i was also considering replacing gengar with whimsicott, but then half my team would be weak to fire attacks. any suggestions for team changes to accommodate this replacement would be very helpful. this includes changing other team members if needed (i was thinking replacing magnezone). it also occured to me to replace magnezone with whimsicott and leave gengar but gengar cant switch into many attacks and i would have to use either starmie or rotom to take ice attacks directed at gliscor or whimsicott but niether can tank them out as well as megnezone. any ideas on how to make that work would be much appreciated!
    Last edited by adwf194; 30th August 2013 at 8:57 PM. Reason: grammar

I like this team. Soundo's changes are good. I wonder if Signal Beam on Megazone is a good choice or if there might be something better, (I usually use HP ice if i can to deal with Latios if I can) but if it works it works, it may not kill but you'll surprise those psychics. Not sure about Disable on Gengar it might force a switch that may or may not be all that useful I'm partial to Taunt but that might not be the best here given the layout of the rest of the team. But it looks pretty good.
    3DS FC 3780-9100-5377

Looking for Non-Kalos legends for Dex only.

Signal Beam hits Celebi which I guess is nice for a Scarf Rotom-W sweep...? Honestly this team lacks a (clear) win condition so its hard to suggest anything. Also, you tell us what each Pokemon does, but not what it does for your team, or rather why you need something to do that. An exame is you saying Magnezo e is good for trapping steels, but you don't tell us why you need something to eliminate steels for your team.

Quote Originally Posted by Contrail View Post
    Signal Beam hits Celebi which I guess is nice for a Scarf Rotom-W sweep...? Honestly this team lacks a (clear) win condition so its hard to suggest anything. Also, you tell us what each Pokemon does, but not what it does for your team, or rather why you need something to do that. An exame is you saying Magnezo e is good for trapping steels, but you don't tell us why you need something to eliminate steels for your team.
    to be honest i just made a team of good pokes that covers each others weaknesses, i never really planned a strategy other than trying to out-predict the foe on switch-ins, etc. if you or anyone has any suggestions on how to make this team good with a strategy please tell me because im not a very experienced battler. thank you for the help

My advice for Starmie is this:

Ok, you seem to want that paralysis caused by Thunder Wave, but maybe consider replacing that with Scald, since the burn chance can cripple physical attackers.
    If you do go with that, then replace Surf with Cosmic Power, which after repeated use, will turn starmie into a tank.
    And working off of that Cosmic Power, maybe throw in Recover in place of either Thunderbolt or Ice Beam.

I know this is an offensive team, but a Starmie with these moves can handle almost anything.
    An example being a STAB-boosted, Life Orb boosted, supereffective Thunderpunch and this Starmie is barely scratched.
    We all make mistakes, but the biggest one we can make is not learning from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Clinkclang View Post
    My advice for Starmie is this:

Ok, you seem to want that paralysis caused by Thunder Wave, but maybe consider replacing that with Scald, since the burn chance can cripple physical attackers.
    If you do go with that, then replace Surf with Cosmic Power, which after repeated use, will turn starmie into a tank.
    And working off of that Cosmic Power, maybe throw in Recover in place of either Thunderbolt or Ice Beam.

I know this is an offensive team, but a Starmie with these moves can handle almost anything.
    An example being a STAB-boosted, Life Orb boosted, supereffective Thunderpunch and this Starmie is barely scratched.
    the problem is cosmic starmie would not work as a quick switch to anything it is weakness will beat it easy before it sets up. also gastrodon would wall it and just use toxic forcing you to switch.

Starmie should have rapid spin so replace t wave with rapid spin this stops spikes and sr ripping into your pokes when you switch. that's all i can say for now but will edit later.
    Last edited by Naoto Shirogane; 1st September 2013 at 6:31 PM.

If you don't have some specific threat to your team in mind with magnezone, I would switch it out and use something different.

You could try out a specs Latios in place of the magnezone.

Spoiler:- Latios Set:

If you don't have some specific threat to your team in mind with magnezone, I would switch it out and use something different.

You could try out a specs Latios in place of the magnezone.

Spoiler:- Latios Set:
    now that u mention it, my team does have some serious troubles with ferrothorn and thats when i switch to magnezone. but i still am looking for new ideas regarding team member replacements. i may use this latios to replace gengar so i dont have three pursuit weaknesses on my team but then i would still need a replacement for magnezone that ferrothorn wouldnt stand a chance against. also i think the replacement should deal physical damage because all my offensive pokes use special attacks, but if u think someone specific will work, please let me know and explain why. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by adwf194 View Post
    Heres my team, please make suggestions for improvements if u are an experienced battler. I am looking for suggestions on just about anything (pokes/moves/evs/item) as long as it would be useful.

Starmie @ Life Orb
    Trait: Natural Cure
    - Surf
    - Thunderbolt
    - Ice Beam
    - Recover/HP Fire/Rapid Spin
    starmie is good for countering alot of fast non-scarfed pokemon that are weak to its moves. i find thunder wave is useful for paralyzing alot of switch ins to starmie as long as they arent ground plus thunder wave isnt really expected on a starmie. the rest of the moves are for coverage and hit many pokemon super effectively. starmie is also somewhat durable and its water typing helps for switching into fire/water attacks. While Thunder Wave is unexpected, the best non-attacking move to use on Starmie is Recover. Recover gives it more survivability, and Starmie really is too frail to find itself able to shoot off a thunder wave without being crippled most of the time. Plus, you already have paralysis support on Ferrothorn. You could also use HP Fire for coverage or Rapid Spin to clear hazards. Life Orb, even with the recoil, is better than the Glasses' meager power boost. Plus, it has good synergy with Recover.

Gengar (F) @ Black Sludge
    - Substitute
    - Shadow Ball
    - Destiny Bond
    - Disable
    gengar is useful for switching into alot of ground and fighting attacks because he cant really switch into anything that he takes damage from. substitute gives immunity to status, shadow ball is the attacking move which gets stab and may lower sp def. destiny bond is for taking out pokemon that u know will kill u anyway such as pursuit users and boosted pokemon (from weather and moves). disable is for choiced/mono attackers, fighting types that only have one move to damage gengar, helping to predict a destiny bond, and possibly saving his life against a pursuit user.

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Magnet Pull
    EVs: 208 HP / 252 SAtk / 48 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Volt Switch
    - Signal Beam
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Flash Cannon
    magnezone is used to trap steel types such as ferrothorn and skarmory and max possible power is used to try to trap and beat other magnezone so ferrothorn doesnt get trapped and killed. evs are for max power and to outspeed min speed scizor and have decent bulk to tank hits from switchins. volt switch is a no-brainer and is my only electric attack but gets stab and usually only needs to hit once before switching into a faster pokemon that will outspeed and finish the opponent. signal beam used to be thunderbolt, but i never really seemed to use t-bolt much so i started using signal beam to hit psychics and darks like latios and latias for more damage. hp fire is for steel and grass types and flash cannon is for coverage to hit super effectively on ice, and rock types and still hit strongly on other pokemon that dont get hit super effectively by magnzones other attacks.

Gliscor (F) @ Toxic Orb
    Trait: Poison Heal
    EVs: 244 HP / 136 Def / 128 Spd
    - Ice Fang
    - Earthquake
    - Toxic
    - Protect
    gliscor is for switching into physical attckers and the occasional special fire attack when my two water types are gone. i used to run substitute, toxic, eq, and protect but found the poison and paralyzing didnt work too well together and i would get countered easily by pokemon immune to earthquake and toxic like gengar and giscor with ice fang. with this moveset he is more offensive and can use u-turn to switch out for easier prediction. protect is there for poison heal recovery. the hp evs give him max poison heal recovery and the rest are spread to give him a good defense and keep a decent speed. If you're going to only run attacking moves with no status, I suggest adding some attack EVs, otherwise you'll be pretty weak against anything that doesn't take super effective damage. I recommend replacing U-turn with Toxic, because the passive damage is nice and Gliscor isn't terribly strong without a SD boost, even with some investment in Attack.

Ferrothorn (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Iron Barbs
    EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
    - Stealth Rock
    - Gyro Ball/Protect
    - Thunder Wave
    - Leech Seed
    ferrothorn is very useful for switching into grass, electric, dark, and ghost attacks, especially with his defenses. the given evs give him max hp to survive for the longest possible and provide a good spread between def and sp def. i get stealth rock up when i can, and continue to lay spikes if possible. power whip is there for a strong stab move to nail certain pokes and thunder wave is to paralyze switch ins and set up pokes. it is also useful against pokes that are about to finish him but he gets another hazard up due to them being paralyzed. the problem is i never seemed to get to many entry hazards up with this team because this is my only user, so please let me know if u think i should drop stealth rock or spikes for another move. i was thinking about keeping spikes and replacing stealth rock on him but i figure if i did that i would need another stealth rock user on my team. using gliscor for stealth rock crossed my mind but im not sure if that would be a good idea considering how valuable his moveslots are. also i would need a replacement move for ferrothorn. As a defensive pivot, Ferrothorn needs to be able to recover off some damage and threaten opponents with some passive damage. Because of this, I advise replacing Spikes with Leech Seed. Leech Seed is a great move that can force switches, deal passive damage, and restore your own health. The loss of Spikes isn't great, but it is by far the most expendable move on the set. In addition, Gyro Ball is probably the better idea for an attacking move if you use it alongside Leech Seed; if you stick with Power Whip, Grass types laugh at you. Protect is an option for scouting and for stalling Leech Seed recovery, but it does leave you completely shut down by Taunt. It is a good move on this set, but be cautious if you choose to use it.

Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf
    - Volt Switch
    - Hydro Pump
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Trick
    rotom is very useful for easing the prediction of switchins with volt switch, and if predicted correctly hydro pump can nail expected switch ins like most ground types. hp ice is for the best coverage against other types, i used hp grass briefly when i first made the team because i was worried about gastrodon, but never ended up using it much so i switched to ice. trick is useful for screwing over a whole variety of pokemon if timed correctly. rotom is also used with starmie to switch in against fire and water attacks but they are usually not the best at taking hits.

any advice and suggestions are always appreciated! thank you!
    All suggestions are in bold. Hope this helped, and good luck on the battlefield.
    Life is a funny thing. I have something of a love-hate relationship with it.

Quote Originally Posted by adwf194 View Post
    now that u mention it, my team does have some serious troubles with ferrothorn and thats when i switch to magnezone. but i still am looking for new ideas regarding team member replacements. i may use this latios to replace gengar so i dont have three pursuit weaknesses on my team but then i would still need a replacement for magnezone that ferrothorn wouldnt stand a chance against. also i think the replacement should deal physical damage because all my offensive pokes use special attacks, but if u think someone specific will work, please let me know and explain why. thanks.
    If Ferrothorn is giving you grief, maybe an offensive heatran?

Spoiler:- Heatran Set:

Or

You could use a Mixed Attacker, like a mixed Hydreigon
        Spoiler:- Hydreigon Set:

Or a Swords Dance Garchomp or a Sub/Swords Garchomp
        Spoiler:- Garchomp set:

There are other options, but I figured this would also give you a set up sweeper on the physical side.

Hope this helps.

If Ferrothorn is giving you grief, maybe an offensive heatran?

Spoiler:- Heatran Set:

Or

You could use a Mixed Attacker, like a mixed Hydreigon
        Spoiler:- Hydreigon Set:

Or a Swords Dance Garchomp or a Sub/Swords Garchomp
        Spoiler:- Garchomp set:

There are other options, but I figured this would also give you a set up sweeper on the physical side.

Hope this helps.
    i may use specs on starmie with trick in the last slot and replace gengar, magnezone, and rotom. i was thinking of using whimsicott, and am now thinking of using heatran for fire resistance. if i use whimsicott and heatran, should i keep gengar for fighting resistance?

IMO, whimsicott is not an offensive poke, it is more of a stall/annoying poke, so what you really need to decide is what you aim to accomplish with this team.

I personally am a fan of Gengar. If you run the sub/disable set, it is not vulnerable to a banded pursuit trapper as it is faster than all of them (unless you run up against a banded weaville, but those are extremely rare). You can simply just sub, let them pursuit your sub, then disable the pursuit. If they're banded they're stuck with struggle (which is normal and doesn't hit gengar) and are forced to switch out. The thing you really have to watch for is bullet punch from scizor, as a banded bullet punch will OHKO your gengar.

that being said, what you use is ultimately up to you. If you axe rotom-w, are you planning on putting scarf on a different poke, or running scarfless?

Also, can you either update the original post with what the team looks like now, or post it in a post below? I'm not sure what suggestions you've taken and what you have not, which makes it a tad hard to give more suggestions

IMO, whimsicott is not an offensive poke, it is more of a stall/annoying poke, so what you really need to decide is what you aim to accomplish with this team.

I personally am a fan of Gengar. If you run the sub/disable set, it is not vulnerable to a banded pursuit trapper as it is faster than all of them (unless you run up against a banded weaville, but those are extremely rare). You can simply just sub, let them pursuit your sub, then disable the pursuit. If they're banded they're stuck with struggle (which is normal and doesn't hit gengar) and are forced to switch out. The thing you really have to watch for is bullet punch from scizor, as a banded bullet punch will OHKO your gengar.

that being said, what you use is ultimately up to you. If you axe rotom-w, are you planning on putting scarf on a different poke, or running scarfless?

Also, can you either update the original post with what the team looks like now, or post it in a post below? I'm not sure what suggestions you've taken and what you have not, which makes it a tad hard to give more suggestions
    yea i scrapped the whimsicott idea but im considering replacing gengar or rotom although it might not happen. im open to all suggestions for my team, and thank you everyone for the help