Thread: Mono-Type OU Team Ice

Post Mono-Type OU Team Ice

So, If you haven't heard, I'm now into American comics (please go visit my thread, it's dying quickly and I want to chat about comics that aren't Japanese). Self-advertisement aside, every 2 weeks at my local comic shop, alongside the Pokemon TCG, there's a type tournament held. Typical Smogon OU (not mono-type OU but I'll bring up this fact to the others and change my team as needed if this thread is still alive but I would expect a different mono-type team as opposed to that), we older players teach the little ones the basics. Anyways, as you guessed there's a catch; all combatants on one's team must be of the same type. Anyways, I picked out of the hat and I got Ice; just what I was hoping for actually. Here we go...

Abomasnow
    Leftovers
    Sassy nature
    EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD
    Ability: Snow Warning
    - Blizzard
    - Wood Hammer
    - Leech Seed
    - Substitute

We all saw this guy coming, Snow Warning sets up endless hail which my team thrives in. This is a basic Substitute Leech Seed set, maxed out HP, even defences, and two powerful STABS to pack a wallop. Nothing too interesting, Abomasnow's mostly here for the weather. Its Grass typing though usually seen as a weight is a bit of a blessing as it aids in taking Water type attacks that Mamoswine hates and Electric attacks that Cloyster doesn't like.

Cloyster
    White Herb
    Naive nature
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
    Ability: Skill Link
    - Hydro Pump
    - Icicle Spear
    - Rock Blast
    - Shell Smash

Ah Cloyster, massive Defence, great for taking the physical hits the rest of my team despises but its main goal is to sweep and sweep it shall. Basic mixed Shell Smash strategy utilizing Skill Link. I like the White Herb as it keeps the clam's physical bulkiness allowing it to possibly snag another boost. Outside of that, it hits incredibly hard after. To boot, its part Water to help out from incoming Fire attacks, though it along with Kyurem and Mamoswine, I'm sure taking down the Fire team will be a breeze. It's Water type also gives it neutrality to Steel, a common weakness, which it can tackle decently with Hydro Pump and its high Defence.

Cryogonal
    Life Orb
    Timid nature
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Ability: Levitate
    - Blizzard
    - Hidden Power (Ground)
    - Rapid Spin
    - Recover

Again, we all saw this coming but sadly it's not in the form of Cloyster but as the speedy underrated demon snowflake, Cryogonal who knows the ever-so important Rapid Spin since Ice is weak to Rock and Stealth Rock is still as common as ever. Anyways, yes, typical stuff again. Blizzard has perfect accuracy in a hailstorm and a Ground type move for solid coverage. To make Cryogonal's attacks more potent, it's holding the Life Orb and has Recover in the last slot to heal off damage and make use of its great Special Defence which works well in contrast to Cloyster's monstrous Defence.

Froslass
    Leftovers
    Timid nature
    EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
    Ability: Cursed Body
    - Blizzard
    - Destiny Bond
    - Spikes
    - Taunt

Again, basic stuff, max Speed and HP for bulkiness (but not too much for Stealth Rock), Taunt to shut down tanks that are switched into, Spikes as the entry hazard, and Blizzard as the reliable STAB. Again, basic stuff and not much to see. Froslass is mainly being used for its immunity to Fighting and access to Destiny Bond to take down the possible unsuspecting weather starter down with it. Its Ghost type also stops Rapid Spin and gives it a resistance to the odd Poison type move that Abomasnow is weak to.

Kyurem
    Leftovers
    Modest nature
    EVs: 100 HP / 252 SpA / 156 Spe
    Ability: Pressure
    - Blizzard
    - Earth Power
    - Roost
    - Substitute

How could I say no? With stats worthy of the Uber tier, Kyurem is a viable choice. A Substitute Roost strategy is what's used, again, straight forward and great due to Kyurem's excellent mixed bulk. As stated many times, Blizzard is a powerful STAB which perfect accuracy in a hailstorm and Earth Power compliments it well and are backed up by Kyurem's enormous Special Attack. Likewise, its Dragon typing is a blessing as it helps out Cloyster when Electric attacks are aimed at it.

Mamoswine
    Expert Belt
    Adamant nature
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    Ability: Thick Fat
    - Icicle Crash
    - Ice Shard
    - Earthquake
    - Stealth Rock

Again, typical set is typical. Mamoswine is awesome, great STABs with great coverage, Thick Fat to rid of its Fire weakness and give it a resistance to Ice, and priority in the form of STAB Ice Shard. Basic stuff, I prefer the Expert Belt due to aiding its overall bulk and with that said, it has Stealth Rock which it can easily set-up due to forcing the odd switch. To boot, like Kyurem, Momoswine's Ground type helps it even more when covering Cloyster's Electric weakness who, again like Kyurem, can take the odd Water attack. Though not as common, like Froslass, it also resists Poison moves which are a problem in Abomasnow's case.

Anyways, that's it, the tournament is in a week Saturday (November 24) so take your time to criticize and such. Also, don't forget that every team competing will consist of one type. It is worth noting that each match are level 50 battles with team preview and that there is no editing of teams in between.
    Last edited by ParaChomp; 15th November 2012 at 10:40 PM. Reason: suggestions made and accounted for
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

...I love screwing around with stuff like this, I really do. That said, it looks really nice, but you may wish to give something Hail, in case Abomasnow gets KO'd early in a weather war with the fire, water, rock, grass, and ground teams. MAYBE the dark team (Tyranitar setting, Bisharp and Krookodile being immune), but fairly unlikely. I can't really see the steel team using weather, although Sandstorm may be something they use just for more incidental damage that their entire squad is immune to. Backup plans never hurt. I'd say perhaps...hell, I don't know, everyone seems to NEED their moves. Maybe Cryogonal, over hidden power, since it seems to be less of an attacker and more to be a team utility anyway.

I can't really see you needing to switch out for Castform, though expect to see it from the normal team. I'd use it, specifically because I'd expect to see lots of weather. You probably have an answer for all of its forms, so no big. It's squishy anyway.

Also - why no stealth rock? a few teams will be weak to it, and most will still get hit neutrally, which would be a great boon, especially against the fire team. to make matters funnier, again going with the fire team, I don't think there are ANY fire-type spinners! only problem is, i'm not sure who besides swine can learn, or what thy'd drop for it. all of these guys suffer Four Moveslot Syndrome.

EDIT: On a side note, are these guys seriously all OU? I'd have sworn I saw Froslass and Cryogonal in lower tiers. And is that a rule or just to have more power, the OU-ness?
    Last edited by Ikorus; 13th November 2012 at 10:10 AM.

MonoType is easily my best tier, so I love seeing teams like this.

That said, I don't think the user above me really knows what he's talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikorus View Post
    I can't really see you needing to switch out for Castform, though expect to see it from the normal team. I'd use it, specifically because I'd expect to see lots of weather. You probably have an answer for all of its forms, so no big. It's squishy anyway.

You did not just say that, did you? Castform is arguably one of the most laughable Pokemon ever. Want to see his Smogon page? http://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/castform
    Yeah, that portrays just how pathetic he is. He's just about as threatening as Magikarp, but much less awesome. Literally, Castform is never used on any team, even NU teams. Oh, and Torkoal is a fire type spinner, and weather wars are extremely rare in MonoType.

I use a MonoSteel team and it walks all over this, but there's nothing you can do when you're running MonoIce. Expect to lose to every MonoSteel you encounter unless the owner really sucks.

As far as MonoFires go, Ninetales is banned from PO Monotype, so you're good there. Try to set Cloyster up and sweep with him.

Dark teams never carry Tyranitar, or of they do, they carry Unnerve Tyranitar.

Water teams might be a problem, but once again, Politoed is banned from MonoTypes. (Come to think of it, I could have sworn Abomasnow was too, but maybe not.)

I don't think Snow Cloak has been banned from MonoType that yet, so use that on Froslass.

Honestly, other than that, everything looks great.

You can shoot my body full of holes but ya can't kill the spirit of Rock N' Roll, baby! \m/

...I love screwing around with stuff like this, I really do. That said, it looks really nice, but you may wish to give something Hail, in case Abomasnow gets KO'd early in a weather war with the fire, water, rock, grass, and ground teams. MAYBE the dark team (Tyranitar setting, Bisharp and Krookodile being immune), but fairly unlikely. I can't really see the steel team using weather, although Sandstorm may be something they use just for more incidental damage that their entire squad is immune to. Backup plans never hurt. I'd say perhaps...hell, I don't know, everyone seems to NEED their moves. Maybe Cryogonal, over hidden power, since it seems to be less of an attacker and more to be a team utility anyway.

Also - why no stealth rock? a few teams will be weak to it, and most will still get hit neutrally, which would be a great boon, especially against the fire team. to make matters funnier, again going with the fire team, I don't think there are ANY fire-type spinners! only problem is, i'm not sure who besides swine can learn, or what thy'd drop for it. all of these guys suffer Four Moveslot Syndrome.

EDIT: On a side note, are these guys seriously all OU? I'd have sworn I saw Froslass and Cryogonal in lower tiers. And is that a rule or just to have more power, the OU-ness?
    I can use magikarp in OU if I want I don't see aproblem using none O pokemons in OU..

I wouldn't listen to this rate though he seems to lack knowledge.
    6-0 es.. so.. it's a problem mono bugs or mono steels.. walrein might help against him being resistance to steel and with his typing I don't know if cloyster can beat him but once cloyster is down..

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Oak
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Shortcut to damage calculator

Well, considering you've picked one of the worst possible types out of that damned headwear, you've done a very good job.

The first problem I see though is your lack of a revenge killer. Having Ice Shard on Mamo is all well and good, until you need to revenge something that resists Ice. I would run a Scarf Set, which allows you to outspeed and revenge various threats. Since I'm lazy, I'll provide the link to the smogon page here, it's the top set, as clearly can be seen: http://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/abomasnow

Also, I'd swap Stone Edge on Mamo for Stealth Rock, since Stealth Rock is a really, really useful move to have, more so in this team, since you'll be very weak to Volcarona. Stone Edge isn't used that much, and Mamo forces plenty of switches, allowing him to set Rocks up fairly easily.

Ice Cold Fire

I was thinking that too. The only ones I would consider teaching Hail are Cryogonal (over Recover or Hidden Power) or Frostlass (over Taunt). What I'm hoping for is taking down the opposing weather starter with Frostlass' Destiny Bond or the many assortment of moves my team know but the reliance on luck. Yeah, a lot of these guys wish they were in a typical RPG like Final Fantasy.

Yeah, Momoswine's the only one who can learn Stealth Rock. Maybe over Stone Edge since its STABs already give it great coverage?

Only those two aren't OU (and Castform).

Quote Originally Posted by Sevensevens View Post
    I use a MonoSteel team and it walks all over this, but there's nothing you can do when you're running MonoIce. Expect to lose to every MonoSteel you encounter unless the owner really sucks.
    About that, one of the comic shop owners got mono-Steel. That's the only reason I would use Castform anyways.

As far as MonoFires go, Ninetales is banned from PO Monotype, so you're good there. Try to set Cloyster up and sweep with him.

Dark teams never carry Tyranitar, or of they do, they carry Unnerve Tyranitar.

Water teams might be a problem, but once again, Politoed is banned from MonoTypes. (Come to think of it, I could have sworn Abomasnow was too, but maybe not.)

I don't think Snow Cloak has been banned from MonoType that yet, so use that on Froslass.
    Oh, it's an entirely different meta-game? Oh boy, we play using standard OU rules, I had no idea about this. Nonetheless, I guess I could bring this up next time I'm there but as of now; the rules are standard OU. To boot, when the tournament's over, I might just use this team for fun.

Honestly, other than that, everything looks great.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Dewott View Post
    Well, considering you've picked one of the worst possible types out of that damned headwear, you've done a very good job.
    I know, the hat was pretty damn sleek looking. Also, don't put down Ice, it's a cool type (bad pun intended).

The first problem I see though is your lack of a revenge killer. Having Ice Shard on Mamo is all well and good, until you need to revenge something that resists Ice. I would run a Scarf Set, which allows you to outspeed and revenge various threats. Since I'm lazy, I'll provide the link to the smogon page here, it's the top set, as clearly can be seen: http://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/abomasnow
    Avenging a fallen comrade, that is going to be a problem however I find my team is already using enough offence thus I'm going to place my money on some of my faster teammates (which both Cryogonal and Frostlass serve well) to take out the odd foe but we'll see how things go.

Also, I'd swap Stone Edge on Mamo for Stealth Rock, since Stealth Rock is a really, really useful move to have, more so in this team, since you'll be very weak to Volcarona. Stone Edge isn't used that much, and Mamo forces plenty of switches, allowing him to set Rocks up fairly easily.
    Okay, set and done.
    Last edited by ParaChomp; 14th November 2012 at 2:27 AM. Reason: multiple quotes

I kinda agree with Ilan. I don't think Ikorus has seen much Competitive battling. Hail is just deadweight on a Hail centered teams. He did do a good job with it, though I would keep the original 6 and get rid of Castform. If you really want it, add Choice Specs or something. It can't hit hard with just base 70 SAtk. If you want a good spinner, you need Delibird. GREAT defensive typing, got a wonderful DW ability in Insomnia. What's not to love. jk

All right, a great wall in NU is Articuno. It fell behind in usage from its sibling birds, but it does have use. You got shafted by drawing Ice. The only other Pokemon you could possibly use is Jynx. It is decent at rain counter if you expect to face MonoWater. Lapras can also do this as well as use Dragon Dance to boost.

252 +6 Atk Choice Band Pure Power Victini (+Atk)Critical V-create vs 0 HP/0 -6 Def Dry Skin Paras (-Def) : 103470436.36% - 121729963.64% (Guaranteed OHKO)

You Don't Say? I had no idea that a Choice Band Adamant Victini with maximum attack EVs and IVs that was baton passed +6 in attack and Skill Swapped Pure Power OHKO's Hasty Dry Skin Lvl 1 Paras with no defense EVs or IVs and -6 in defense under sun with a critical hit V-Create.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffdavid102 View Post
    All right, a great wall in NU is Articuno. It fell behind in usage from its sibling birds, but it does have use. You got shafted by drawing Ice. The only other Pokemon you could possibly use is Jynx. It is decent at rain counter if you expect to face MonoWater. Lapras can also do this as well as use Dragon Dance to boost.
    I don't see how either of them would improve my team enough. If you could expand or if others could provide some more examples, I would consider.

On topic, I got a few questions before I wrap things up. Should I replace Hidden Power on Cryogonal for Hail? If so, should I replace Cryogonal's Life Orb for an Icy Rock? Should I use Pain Split on Froslass and if so should I replace Destiny Bond or Taunt?

Sorry for the confusion, I completely ignored that first paragraph. I thought this was a team for the Monotype tier.

However, if playing with Monotype teams like this is something you enjoy, it might be something you could look into.

You can shoot my body full of holes but ya can't kill the spirit of Rock N' Roll, baby! \m/

Sorry for the confusion, I completely ignored that first paragraph. I thought this was a team for the Monotype tier.
    Nope but if I enjoy the tournament, I'll look into it.

However, if playing with Monotype teams like this is something you enjoy, it might be something you could look into.
    Well with my local comic shop's tournaments, yes, it's most likely going to become a fad for me until I've made a team for each type.