Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How did you get into Pokemon?

Default How did you get into Pokemon?

When did you develop an interest for Pokemon? What was the first game you played? Where did you start your journey?

When I was alot younger, my sister had borrowed a copy of either Red or Blue from her friend, though she barely has any memory of it. Years later, I was interested in Pokemon myself, and at the same time as I was a massive fan of the Godzilla movies. I also had a GBA and I thought Pokemon was fun in general. So I thought: Why don't I start a massive Pokemon journey catching every Pokemon that look like japanese giant monsters?

So I went on Neoseeker and asked what the best Pokemon GBA game was.

Emerald. Emerald everywhere.

So I bought it.

A year later, I journeyed to Johto (SoulSilver), then my long awaited Unova (Black 2) trip...
    Last edited by Green Blockhead; 14th November 2012 at 10:16 PM.

For me, it was when I lived on the island of Guam where Pokemon wasn't in the U.S. at the time. My first game from the franchise was LeafGreen however but I played the previous gen games before Sinnoh came.

I was a fan since the beginning, but my interest in the first two generations is all but a haze, much like the rest of the 1990s. I was interested in the Anime initially, but my nostalgia filter has all but turned me away from the recent seasons.

My first set of games were from the Third Generation - Ruby and Sapphire, specifically. I can't remember exactly why I wanted to start playing them, but I believe it was because I had wanted something less challenging than Super Mario World.

Pokemon is like a metaphysical constant in my life. I know I enjoy it, I just don't remember why I enjoy it.

Creating sentience is simple. Accepting it, however, is harder than it looks.

I got into pokemon when I first got my copy of SSBB.
    =P
    Rayquaza really got my attention, till then I noticed that it was a pokemon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada
    The Human brain is a funny thing, Do you know that?
    Credit goes to FairyWitch for the Banner.

I watched the anime on the TV, in 1999 and loved it. After some time, I borrowed a Game Boy with a Pokémon Blue cartridge from a pseudo-friend of mine. I played it for months, finishing and restarting it a lot of times. One or so year later I got my first Game Boy Color, a yellow one, it was so awesome. I played Pokémon Silver a lot on it and surprisingly, this game and Gold are my least favorites on the franchise. When they announced Ruby and Sapphire, I couldn't afford a Game Boy Advance, so I had to wait some years to play Generation III games and I ended up playing only on emulators, unfortunately. Perhaps that was the reason that made me lose a lot of my interest for Pokémon. Some more years later, they released Generation IV games and I wasn't even aware, since I was away from the Pokémon scene. I decided to buy a Nintendo DS mainly to play Castlevania and I thought: Why not give this Pokémon Diamond game a try? Best thing I ever did. All my love for Pokémon was restored and that is one of the reasons I consider Generation IV the best one.

tl;dr: Anime, then Pokémon Blue, then Silver, then everything else.

Let's see...memory...activate....GAAAAHHHH...!

I was a kid, I know that. Pretty sure I liked the anime and even the tcg before I ever got into the video games (still have all my cards, even the original pikachu card...). With my gaming history, I started with the n64 and Zelda and such, then soon got a a gba, and I longed to get ruby for such a long time! I remember getting a bookmark from my library that had the ad for ruby on it. It had Groudon, all the starters and such, and was deep red. There was a sapphire one too, but since I loved the color red so much, I went with ruby. Soon, I had it and was addicted. Had to get all the versions when they came out. I was never a super competitive battler, but I was into it enough where I knew the evolutions and such. Been getting all the versions ever since. The next was fire red, then diamond, then soulsilver, then white. Don't watch the show or collect the cards anymore, and I don't play as much, but I still love it. Its a childhood thing, I suppose. It'll always be there. But that's my history with it, I suppose, very vague, but I can say for sure that pokemon Colosseum was atrocious. And that's all I have to say about that.
    I am no longer active. Do not FC or contact me. I won't respond.

When SR came out, I saw my cousin playing Ruby. It all went uphill from there...
    "Sin's dont end with tears, you have to carry the pain forever!
    Who am I waiting for, in this mase of emotions with no way out insight?
    I want to purge myself more simply, as if writing in a blank notebook!
    What is it i want to excape from?"
    "The Doctor: Oh, big, big mistake. Really huge. Didn't anyone ever tell you? There's one thing you never put in a trap. If you're smart, if you value your continued existence, if you have any plans about seeing tomorrow, there is one thing you never, ever put in a trap... Me."
        Spoiler:- My Claims:

Hahah I remember playing with pokemon toys when I was little. When I finally went on a vacation a few yrs ago I bought pokemon black. My very first pokemon game. Then I traveled back to sinnoh with platinum and back to unova with black 2
    BLACK 2 FC CODE 4084 3341 7384
    On the hunt for a plethora of pp ups and pp maxes. PM me if u want to sort out a trade.
    Itching for battles PM me If interested.

hmmm lets see

i was about 8 and every day on the bus i saw 5 or so boys hunched over with a screen pressed up to their face, when i asked what they were doing they told me they were playing a game called pokemon. i had heard of it but did not know how to play. So i watched for week as they played. I remember i was distinctly interested in Geodude. Eventually i started playing and here i am now playing w2

White 2 team~ all lvl 100~ 8 badges~ E4 complete~ white treehollow complete~ join avenue rank 10~ 81 medals

I watched Mewtwo Strikes Back on VHS, IIRC. It really sparked my interest.
    Last edited by Seles; 14th November 2012 at 11:39 PM.

tumblr
    - i've claimed zelos wilder, xerneas, and tales of the abyss
    Omega Ruby team:

Quote Originally Posted by Green Blockhead View Post
    When did you develop an interest for Pokemon? What was the first game you played? Where did you start your journey?
    When I was young, I don't know how old exactly but probably around 6 or so. I saw the show and liked it, my sister had Blue I think so I started playing that, then I played each generation afterwards.
    3DS Friend Code: 3153-4608-8374
    Friend Safari: Steel(Ferroseed, Forretress, and Bronzong)

My cousin practically forced me to watch an episode of the anime with her. Then I got Pokémon Diamond just out of curiosity, and everything went uphill from there.

Shame is, my cousin's now grown out of Pokémon completely...

When I was four or five, I just happened to catch an episode of the anime (the one where Misty gets Psyduck) and from there I fell in love. Soon I was begging my mom to buy me all the toys and videos, and when she bought me Pokemon Stadium, I was so happy. Stadium wasn't fun if you didn't have the gameboy games, so my mom found one of those for me as well. I had all the books, toys, and movies and I didn't think it would end.
    But then the fad fell out of style, and any kids playing Pokemon would usually get teased, so I sold all my stuff but played my blue version in secret. I remember wanting to get Gold version, but I was too embarrassed to grab it. When I was in about fourth grade, I saw a copy of Pokemon Colosseum at the video rentals, and I just casually put it under all the movies my mom was renting. I was suddenly no longer embarrassed and my passion for Pokemon was once again reignited.
    even if we don't understand each other, that's not a reason to reject each other. There are two sides to any argument. Is there one point of view that has all the answers? Give it some thought.
    ^ This is the reason why I like arguing. If I come off as standoffish or overly angry in an argument, don't worry. I'm probably having the time of my life. Whether I agree with them or not, the pokemon fandom has a lot of different opinions, and I love how nobody is afraid to share them.

My mom bought me and my sister Red and Blue when we were little, we really loved them so we got into everything Pokemon related at the time from the anime to the toy lines. Unfortunately, my sister has long since grown out of it and I do miss playing with her, but I still enjoy these games for what they provide.

When I was 6, my mom bought me Pokemon Blue to go with the GBAl she had gotten me for my birthday. It was love at first sight.

When I was 8 I saw an episode of the D/P series and I thought it was awsome! I started my journey in twinleaf town on pokemon diamond
    Shiny Count: 50

Thanks Eeveelover824 for the animated banner!

Thanks Fairywitch for the button!

lol, how could you NOT get into pokemon, if you were a kid in the 90's!
    The real question is, how could almost everyone else get out of it afterwards. I never did :P

Spoiler:- Credits:

Quote Originally Posted by Luann View Post
    lol, how could you NOT get into pokemon, if you were a kid in the 90's!
    The real question is, how could almost everyone else get out of it afterwards. I never did :P
    i completely agree

I was in middle school and watched the show from the very first episode of kanto. Back then I was having trouble with my grades so during one year my mom said that if I got good grades at the end of the year she would buy me a gameboy color and pokemon yellow. Well that motivated me a LOT since of course I didn't have any money to buy them on my own. Pokemon yellow was the only game that I had for a long time, I remember getting three pokemon to level 100 and the others were lvl 80-90.
    Credit to Mew_ for the pokemon banner, Equal-to-Heaven for the braviary clock, ~.:Northern Lights:.~ for the pokemon badge, and the shiny card made by me

Friend code: 0533-5377-8837
    I have normal type (minccino, dunsparce and smeargle)

Spoiler:- My shiny card:
    [IMG]http://i41.*******.com/2vs1amu.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://i41.*******.com/2vhzyoj.jpg[/IMG]

I was in 3rd or 4th grade, and Pokemon hit America like a tidal wave. At first I refused to watch it; my sister had an anime version of Thumbilina, so I thought it would be girly. One day I saw an episode, the one where Jiggilypuff appeared, and I had fun. Still, I didn't know if I would like the series. For weeks I told my friends "I like one episode; I don't know if I like the show." XD

Eventually, I saw more, got Blue version, etc.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this into your sig if you are too.†

The anime got me into it. My first game was Stadium.

Let's see...I remember my friend, when we were five, giving me Pokemon Red at school for one reason or another, and when I got home, I put it in my GameBoy. After that, I became the huge Pokemon fan I am today.

Christmas present i remember id always play it at day care and they would always say i played it too much and thatd id need to go out side >.>
    then pokemon snap came along.... WASTE ALL PHOTOS ON CHARIZARD

3DS FC: 0173 2372 4701
    Black FC: 1722 0078 8716
    White 2 FC: 3654 8488 7686

I have been a fan since the very beginning (saw the first episode when it came out and loved it), after Misty left I started watching it on and off. When May showed up, I grew interested in it again, but after her and her brother left I stopped watching it altogether (basically grew out of it). The handheld Pokemon games on the other hand, I never grew out of (and I basically own every single one, except 3).

It was around July 1999, probably. I recall that suddenly my school friends started talking about this thing called Pokémon all day. I didn't know what it was nor I was really interested, but once I ran into an episode of the anime on the TV and watched it (It was the eighth episode of the first season). I thought it wasn't bad. Anyway, I don't really remember what happened then, but the craze got bigger at my school and by then I was already hooked watching the anime on TV and playing the first gen games with my friends at the school breaks (Their games, I didn't own a GB nor any of the games). The craze only got bigger the following year (2000) and by then I was completely obsessed, as were most of my friends. I finally managed to thoroughly play Gold, Blue and Silver, continued watching the anime, I started playing the TCG, and I bought lots of merchandise and stuff about the franchise. Those were the days, though things didn't last much that way. They never do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast