Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FMA (Fullmetal Alchemist) ~ 2003 & 2009

Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    I'd start by pointing out to the user in question (the one who read the Wiki) that the original anime outpaced the manga to the point where the story split off into original material, which doesn't make it bad, just different and not a straight adaptation like Brotherhood would later be.

That's just me though.
    Exactly, it's all personal opinion from reading a description.
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

My FMA experiences:

Tried watching Brotherhood - got bored.

Tried reading the manga - got bored.

Tried watching the older anime - absolutely loved it for the first 25 episodes but eventually had to quit at the 3/4 mark because it got so bad.
    Done here.

Quote Originally Posted by themightydoof View Post
    My FMA experiences:

Tried watching Brotherhood - got bored.

Tried reading the manga - got bored.

Tried watching the older anime - absolutely loved it for the first 25 episodes but eventually had to quit at the 3/4 mark because it got so bad.
    Could you try to at least explain what you didn't like about it and what you did. Personally, I like both the first series and Brotherhood.

3DS XL Friend Code: 2036-7872-1965
    .: DA | Tumblr | MAL :.

Quote Originally Posted by Izanagi View Post
    Could you try to at least explain what you didn't like about it and what you did. Personally, I like both the first series and Brotherhood.
    Brotherhood and the manga were way too fast and rushed, with little to no time spent on characterisation or giving me a reason to care. Things just happened and that was that. I'm aware that they probably do greatly improve later and I probably will try again but at the time I just couldn't muster the motivation.

The first half of the old anime was brilliant because it made me engage with and care about the protagonists right from the start, and did the same with an expansive cast of supporters impressively quickly afterwards. The stories were always fun, exciting or interesting and above all it created a perfect balance between episodic and arc-based that I've never seen bettered in a show. The reason it went downhill is because it abandoned that perfect balance, making the story just go on and on. Also, and this might be more important, it stopped being about the Elric brothers. Their quest became a framing device for the less engaging stories of Izumi, Scar, Rose etc, who were better off in supporting roles. It sidelined the brothers into becoming minor characters in their own story. And the new story was just boring.
    Done here.

Quote Originally Posted by themightydoof View Post
    Brotherhood and the manga were way too fast and rushed, with little to no time spent on characterisation or giving me a reason to care. Things just happened and that was that. I'm aware that they probably do greatly improve later and I probably will try again but at the time I just couldn't muster the motivation.

The first half of the old anime was brilliant because it made me engage with and care about the protagonists right from the start, and did the same with an expansive cast of supporters impressively quickly afterwards. The stories were always fun, exciting or interesting and above all it created a perfect balance between episodic and arc-based that I've never seen bettered in a show. The reason it went downhill is because it abandoned that perfect balance, making the story just go on and on. Also, and this might be more important, it stopped being about the Elric brothers. Their quest became a framing device for the less engaging stories of Izumi, Scar, Rose etc, who were better off in supporting roles. It sidelined the brothers into becoming minor characters in their own story. And the new story was just boring.
    While I can't vouch for the first anime because the many of the points you make are valid and I agree with. I felt the Brotherhood and manga did a adequate job it balancing it plot and characters. Though there were times where things just happened for the sake of plot and the story does trip into some common shonen pitfalls. However, despite these flaw I still liked the series. So I can say to you is maybe continue watching and if you still don't like it then maybe the series just isn't for it as it was for me.

3DS XL Friend Code: 2036-7872-1965
    .: DA | Tumblr | MAL :.

You can't really debate Brotherhood VS the first one because it is all a matter of personal opinion. Someone could dislike Brotherhood because of the fact that they did not explain the minor characters as much, but someone else could like it because it let more time for the main characters. So as I said, I think that it is just a matter of opinion and that there is no seri better than the other one.

Short post, but explains my point of view very well.

RAWK ON

Quote Originally Posted by Shneak View Post
    Personally, I think that FMA is awful but Brotherhood is one of the best anime series' ever.
    Blasphemy! I liked them both to be honest. The first series obviously didn't adhere closely to the manga, but it still had a certain charm. Brotherhood was pretty much completely faithful to the source material, which was good as a whole I guess, but it made things really predictable for me since I had already read through most of the manga. At least the first series took creative license and added some twists here and there. Granted, I didn't like the ending much, but overall the series was great in my opinion.

I have the original FMA on DVD, I am thinking about getting Brotherhood, do you think it is worth it?

.: 3DS FC: 0490-5034-9209 :.
    .: DeviantART :: Graphics Thread :: Art Thread :: Art Shop :.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Red Absol View Post
    I have the original FMA on DVD, I am thinking about getting Brotherhood, do you think it is worth it?
    ive never seen the original past like the first 12 episode but i loved brotherhood it follows the manga and i just think it was really great

I actually liked the ending of the first series. :|

Follow Steven Stone on his journey from bored rich boy to hardened Champion! Click the link and let the adventure begin!

Quote Originally Posted by Lugion View Post
    I actually liked the ending of the first series. :|
    I did not like how Alphonse did not remember anything. That was the biggest disappointment for me. Other than that, I liked the ending. But, I found Brotherhoods one to be more of and lived happily ever after ending with Ed's last transmutation and him getting Alphonse back.

RAWK ON and sorry for the late answer.
    Last edited by Necro101; 12th January 2013 at 6:37 PM.

I knew Envy was a guy going in. These are the kind of things I know going into some anime. (Sometimes it's actual spoilers though, bad habit.) Anyways I think both were above average, but I definitely liked Brotherhood better. Can easily see myself re watch it, but could never see myself re watching the 2003 anime.

Quote Originally Posted by The Keyblade Alchemist View Post
    Yes, it is. Some people say that BH is better than 2003, because it is modeled after the manga, but here's what I think:
    Manga > 2003 > 2009, but then again, that's only so far.
    Wait, what? Did Brotherhood do something horribly wrong in adapting the manga?

ok ok ok what am i watching.

maybe 4 days ago i began watching fma but i never heard of brotherhood. but the fma im watching is on netflix with like 56 episodes, so am i watching the original or brotherhood.

could someone please explain?

Quote Originally Posted by trident20 View Post

maybe 4 days ago i began watching fma but i never heard of brotherhood. but the fma im watching is on netflix with like 56 episodes, so am i watching the original or brotherhood.

Your watching the original version created in 2003.
    Brotherhood, is a remake of the entire original series. I personally believe that the original, the one your watching, is sooooo much better because of the concepts and ideas.
    Bug-Type Represent !

I haven't see FMA original and I don't plan on it. Saw FMA:B and it's not as good as everyone says it is. A decent watch, but don't take too long or you'll get bored like I did.
    Quote Originally Posted by trident20 View Post

FMA is the original anime adaptation of the manga. It branches off from the manga's story. FMA Brotherhood sticks closer to the manga and is generally received as "better" than FMA 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by PikaPika677 View Post
    I haven't see FMA original and I don't plan on it. Saw FMA:B and it's not as good as everyone says it is. A decent watch, but don't take too long or you'll get bored like I did.

FMA is the original anime adaptation of the manga. It branches off from the manga's story. FMA Brotherhood sticks closer to the manga and is generally received as "better" than FMA 2003.

IF the concepts and ideas in FMA interest you bro then i would suggest watching the OG series.
    I myself have not read the manga and i watch the original series many years ago and i still watch it from time to time.
    BUt the concepts and theories present in the original series were presented with such good taste and such realisticness
    that it was nothing but beautiful in my eyes.

Forget weather or not it was parallel to the manga. It in its own right is a master piece because few anime or even manga's
    can articulate and materialize the kinds of concepts, thoughts and knowledge like that anime did.
    I would strongly recommend watching it.

I've only seen maybe the first 10 episodes of Brotherhood though in comparison i feel brotherhood doesn't even come close to the
    knowledge and or concepts present in the first series. Its fair enough that some people may not like the original because its not exactly as the manga
    presented it. But the first original series isn't even portrayed in the same manner as brotherhood.

If your intrigued by the concepts,knowledge and thoughts projected from FMA you have to watch the original series cause the way the things in it are presented,
    will blow your mind
    Bug-Type Represent !

ok good. well i like the original. ill have to see if brother hood is on netflix also

I am completely satisfied of Brotherhood(though they didn't include that fourth chapter of the intro of Yoki). I mean, everyone matured in the end and Ed actually learned the true meaning of friendship rather than the mistake he did and caused. The first anime, I was angry. I mean, at the end, I wasn't satisfied when Ed went to Germany with Al. And the plot, I don't see any significance. The whole first anime was slow and wasn't even serious compared to Brotherhood.

DeviantART Account|Youtube Account|Tumblr Account
    [*IMG]http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x321/BrutakaBlaziken/Quilava42GIF_zps60c971ae.gif[/IMG*]

Please check the signature rules. Image size in total cannot exceed 500 kB.

Things I liked and disliked about FMA:
    > Lust's character. I loved the depth they added to her, she grew on me a lot and became one of my unexpected favourites.
    > Envy being the     Spoiler:- spoiler:

> I think the difference in the Homunculus' origins between this and Brotherhood was something that I enjoyed and appreciated. In FMA it had a more mysterious and emotional impact in my opinion, and when they died it became a lot more meaningful and cathartic     Spoiler:- spoiler:
    . But then again sometimes I think the whole     Spoiler:- spoiler:
    was a bit far-fetched.
    > In the movie,     Spoiler:- spoiler:
    .     Spoiler:- spoiler:

> Hated the ending of the movie. Too bittersweet.

Things I liked and disliked about Brotherhood:
    > The story was more worldly and felt more 'epic', I guess. To me it was more exciting watching the story unfold than FMA.
    > Wrath and Pride were awesome.
    > I can't be bothered writing much more.

Either way I enjoyed both series for their differences.

My Gen V Mono-Psychic Team ~ Made by me
    FC: 2423 3256 7374
    Friend safari is Psychic (coincidentally). I have Abra, Gothorita, and Espurr.

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial Moth View Post
    IF the concepts and ideas in FMA interest you bro then i would suggest watching the OG series.
    I myself have not read the manga and i watch the original series many years ago and i still watch it from time to time.
    BUt the concepts and theories present in the original series were presented with such good taste and such realisticness
    that it was nothing but beautiful in my eyes.

Forget weather or not it was parallel to the manga. It in its own right is a master piece because few anime or even manga's
    can articulate and materialize the kinds of concepts, thoughts and knowledge like that anime did.
    I would strongly recommend watching it.

I've only seen maybe the first 10 episodes of Brotherhood though in comparison i feel brotherhood doesn't even come close to the
    knowledge and or concepts present in the first series. Its fair enough that some people may not like the original because its not exactly as the manga
    presented it. But the first original series isn't even portrayed in the same manner as brotherhood.

If your intrigued by the concepts,knowledge and thoughts projected from FMA you have to watch the original series cause the way the things in it are presented,
    will blow your mind
    Yeah, I agree with every single thing in here. I actually read the manga, but I felt Brotherhood rushed the series and actually omitted a lot of important character building scenes which made me dislike it even more. With the original FMA, I felt the pacing was good throughout the series and that it handled its story better than Brotherhood did (and while I like the manga, I didn't like the way it ended whereas I liked the original's end).

I absolutely loved Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Not to say the 1st series was bad but ultimately I preferred the 2nd 1 more because overall I just loved the characters and storyline more. I think its honestly 1 of the best Shounen series I have watched in recent years. I definitely would recommend it to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Steve View Post
    I absolutely loved Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Not to say the 1st series was bad but ultimately I preferred the 2nd 1 more because overall I just loved the characters and storyline more. I think its honestly 1 of the best Shounen series I have watched in recent years. I definitely would recommend it to anyone.
    Yeah I like Brotherhood over the first anime too. The story is better (Also its the original story), the animation is better, everything is just better lol.
        Spoiler:- Credits:

I thought envy was a guy right from the start, I think it was the voice that made me think that, it's so rough and gravelly

Just finished watching the original FMA the other day, but I've also seen the first few episodes of Brotherhood as well. The original was pretty much God tier, although I did find the ending to be slightly unsatisfying in some ways. I don't like that the beginning of Brotherhood is a rehash of the original except more rushed. It's really boring to watch the same thing over again with slightly different dialogue, and maybe this is just because I watched the original first, but the plot seems to be moving too fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

You have to remember that they aired years apart so it wouldn't feel the same watching Brotherhood.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast