Thread: Folk/Oldtime/Bluegrass!

Threaded View

Default Folk/Oldtime/Bluegrass!

Thread approved by Kreis.

I've seen a pretty disturbing trend in what I see as a complete lack of folk music in this section.

From Wikipedia

A consistent definition of traditional folk music is elusive. The terms folk music, folk song, and folk dance are comparatively recent expressions. They are extensions of the term folk lore, which was coined in 1846 by the English antiquarian William Thoms to describe "the traditions, customs, and superstitions of the uncultured classes."[2] The term is further derived from the German expression Volk, in the sense of "the people as a whole" as applied to popular and national music by Johann Gottfried Herder and the German Romantics over half a century earlier.[3] Traditional folk music also includes most indigenous music
    In a nutshell, it's music that reflect your culture, origins, legends, stories, and heritage.

I'll show some good examples.

Folk-Punk (My favorite)

The Devil Makes Three

The Violent Femmes

Blackbird Raum

Grace Potter

The Civil Wars

The Silent Comedy

Bob Dylan

Jack Johnson

Dark Dark Dark

Appalachian folk-Bluegrass

The Hackensaw Boys

Brown Bird (It's actually really hard to put these guys in any particular genre)

Freak-Folk (AKA the most badass stoner music ever)

So, what do you think of folk music? Who are your favorite artists?

Disclaimer: Country music is not folk music. If you post Kieth Urban or Garth Brooks I'm going to kill you.
    Last edited by Poggle; 16th November 2012 at 9:00 AM.