View Poll Results: Should Gyarados have it's Typing Changed?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

14 23.73%
  • No

45 76.27%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should Gyarados have it's Type Changed?

Quote Originally Posted by ???2 View Post
    They could remove the flying type. I don't see why Gyarados has it, it doens't fly it just swims in the water and crawls on land. How the heck is it supposed to fly?
    It is based on Chinese dragons. Chinese dragons flies. Again, it is perfectly fine as a Water/Flying Pokémon.

Quote Originally Posted by ???2 View Post
    They could remove the flying type. I don't see why Gyarados has it, it doens't fly it just swims in the water and crawls on land. How the heck is it supposed to fly?
    Flying type doesn't necessarily mean that it can fly. Check Doduo, Dodrio, and Spearow. Perfect examples of Flying type Pokémon who cannot fly properly.

As for Pokémon that cannot learn Fly, there's a lot. Think Bug/Flying hybrids and other small Flying types.
    Last.fm | Steam ID
    Nostalgia

Quote Originally Posted by Rezzo View Post
    Flying type doesn't necessarily mean that it can fly. Check Doduo, Dodrio, and Spearow. Perfect examples of Flying type Pokémon who cannot fly properly.

As for Pokémon that cannot learn Fly, there's a lot. Think Bug/Flying hybrids and other small Flying types.
    True. Not all flying-type pokes are capable of ascending into the sky. Gliscor cannot learn to fly either, but it's flexible enough to learn acrobatics. It's a glider, not a flyer.

No. King Gyarados should remain a Water/Flying type. The other Dragon types can remain pressed that he won't join them.

No, if it were to be Water/Dragon it would've been in Generation I. The only reason Magnemite and Magneton got their type changed was because Steel was introduced after they had been. Dragon was a type when Gyarados was introduced so there is no reason as to why they wouldn't have typed it as Water/Dragon instead of Water/Flying from the beginning. Same reasoning goes for Charizard.

No i'd rather it keep its type. Its been like that for years now.
    Shiny Count: 50

Thanks Eeveelover824 for the animated banner!

Thanks Fairywitch for the button!

Quote Originally Posted by bolter1 View Post
    No, if it were to be Water/Dragon it would've been in Generation I. The only reason Magnemite and Magneton got their type changed was because Steel was introduced after they had been. Dragon was a type when Gyarados was introduced so there is no reason as to why they wouldn't have typed it as Water/Dragon instead of Water/Flying from the beginning. Same reasoning goes for Charizard.
    what about rotom? it's type changed in gen 5
    Black 2 FC: 0047 0978 3613

Credit to Astral Shadow

Check out my new RPG and join it:
    http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthr...-Serpent-PG-13

Quote Originally Posted by bobyjoe5000 View Post
    what about rotom? it's type changed in gen 5
    But its type changes with its form so the original Rotom, Normal Rotom, is still its first Electric/Ghost type.

Quote Originally Posted by bolter1 View Post
    But its type changes with its form so the original Rotom, Normal Rotom, is still its first Electric/Ghost type.
    Yeah, but before 5th gen, the other Rotom forms were all Electric/Ghost, now they're Electric/(insert form type here). That's proof that they can change types whenever they want if needed. It just doesn't happen very often because there's usually no need to. And that's certainly the case here.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

Gyarados doesn't need to be a Water/Dragon.

And really, the only change that ought to happen is add Fly to Gyarados' move list (as well as a couple of other flying moves). Because I want to fly around on a Chinese Dragon, darn it!

Y'know, maybe if there was more dragon moves in Gen1, he could've been dragon type.

Well... first, to get it out of the way, I'd say that there's absolutely no chance that its type will change. None at all.

That said, Gyarados obviously IS a dragon. That's why it learns Dragon Dance and why it's in the Dragon egg group. I would have to assume that it was meant to be a dragon all along, but simply wasn't made Water/Dragon in Gen I because there's nothing that could've countered it. It was (and sometimes still is) hard enough to counter it as Water/Flying - as Water/Dragon, it would've been plain unstoppable. After five generations of new pokemon, it'd be possible to counter it now if it was Water/Dragon, but still potentially damned tough - that's just a particularly strong combination, and Gyarados is a particularly bulky AND hard-hitting pokemon. But it could probably be done. But it won't. It's a pokemon and it's Water/Flying and that's just the way it is.

I would like to see it get a physical Flying move other than Bounce though. It can't even get a decent HP any more, since HP is special now (I've got an Adamant Gyarados with HP Flying in Ruby and it's terrifying).

I think that the reason why Gyarados is Water/Flying is to give it a crippling weakness considering it's pretty strong.
    Shokotan: "And then, in Extremespeed Genesect: The Awakening of Mewtwo, we meet another Mewtwo!"
    Yuyama: "Yes, I thought it'd be better if it was a different Mewtwo."
    Good for you Yuyama. Too bad you've singlehandedly torpedoed any lingering respect I and anyone else had for you.

Dragon/Water would make it so bulky, but the amount of Dragon types that outspeed it kinda make up for it. Also, DNite has Multi-Scale, so it might be able to survive an attack and KO back. Honestly, it would be interesting.

While changing its type in Gen 1 made it not broken, they also could have added another dragon type move.
    Last edited by Hakallowin; 3rd December 2012 at 11:36 PM.

"It's time to see what I can do. Test the limits and break through!"

PoshSprout Nariya's Head Mage
    Credit to FairyWitch and GTA for the art!

Quote Originally Posted by PopPrincess_Lyra View Post
    Dragon and water coz my daddy thought it was that. He didn't believe me that i said it was water and flying -_____- nya~
    Hahaha. I would say the same thing but...Kingdra's kind of ruined the point of change what with it having that typing and the same base stat total. At this point it'd seem very redundant.
    - My Sig was too Tall, so a Mod fixed it -

Maybe if we were a few gens back, but I don't think they're gonna change it now. But if we were going into Gen 3 or Gen 2 maybe I'd think, "Yes, I think Gyarados' type could easily change, I mean, they did add Steel type to the Magnemite line in Gen 2". But now, in Gen 5, going into a possible Gen 6 in about 1-3 years...I highly doubt it.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this into your sig if you are too.†
    I treat my Pokemon like family. Copy and Paste this in your sig if you do too.
    Animal abuse is horrible if you agree copy this into your signature (started by Tepig Rules)
    ~The right thing to guide us, is right here inside us, no-one can divide us, when the light is nearly gone~- When We Stand Together, By Nickelback.

Spoiler:- Credit:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12