Thread: Noob help on EV training

Default Noob help on EV training

Ok.

So I've just learned the fundamentals of EV training and decided to go try it out. Went to the verdanturf cave with my lvl 60 metagross, killed 4 whismurs and to my dismay my HP didn't increase. Why is this? I'm assuming it's something like the stat changes only occur on a level increase but I can find no guide that confirms this, oddly.

Much appreciated if anyone helps.

As you said, the stat changes happen when the Pokemon levels up. My source for this is Bulbapedia. It is different in the 5th gen games though, where the stats are recalculated after every battle instead.
    We both break free if we make it on top
    If one should fall we both will drop

We move together from here on out
    What you need is what I'm about

^You know more than me, I didn't know 5th gen worked differently. Thanks for that, as for the question, it updates it after the level up.
    Plus, you'd get more EVs if you gave your Pokemon a Macho Brace. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    Don't feel like doing a pic, I'll put one later. So, for now, this sig will be blue.

And have an Archeops.

Quote Originally Posted by MedicalSledgeHammer View Post
    ^You know more than me, I didn't know 5th gen worked differently. Thanks for that, as for the question, it updates it after the level up.
    Plus, you'd get more EVs if you gave your Pokemon a Macho Brace. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    No, you're correct. Macho Brace doubles your EVs gained (and Pokerus, if you're lucky enough to find that).

I thought that was a Pokemon sickness though, and made you lose your Pokemon?
    Don't feel like doing a pic, I'll put one later. So, for now, this sig will be blue.

And have an Archeops.

Quote Originally Posted by MedicalSledgeHammer View Post
    I thought that was a Pokemon sickness though, and made you lose your Pokemon?
    No, not at all. It's a good shite in general, and the effect of doubling EVs also stays after the virus' gone, you just can spread it out no more. As for me, I just don't like the sign which is marked in your poke's summary once it's recovered from the virus- some ulgy (tiny) smiley..

Ahh, so it's actually a good thing. I knew about it, just none of my Pokemon have ever had it.

And have an Archeops.