Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Community POTW #99

Finnaly. I have waited so long for the POTW to be something I had.

WHO LET THE DOGS OUT!

EV's:
    242 atk
    242 speed
    4 Hp

Nature: (Nature that raises attack or speed without lowering the other)

Item: Silk Scarf

Ability: Sand Rush

Moves:
    Retaliate
    Return
    Crunch
    Wild Charge/Fire Fang/Ice Fang

This set is very self-explanitory. Set up sandstorm before using him, and he will outspeed everything. I have not met any pokemon that is faster than a stoutland in sand. This makes revenge killing easy, especially with retaliate. I use the silk scarf because it boosts Stoutlands best moves, and makes revenge killing all the more easier. Stoutland is perfect for sand teams, and can take out many pokemon that counter sand teams.

Retaliate KO's just about everything. I literally KO'ed a lucario, a terrakion, and 2 KO'd a ferrothorn. It is sick how powerful it is. Especially with the silk scarf. Return lets you attack without using up Retaliates few PP and is a good backup move, like surf is for Kyogre. Crunch deals damage to ghosts, which are immune to Stoutlands previous attacks. It also does well against the odd psychic. The last move is up to you. Wild Charge takes out bulky waters, aside from water/ground pokemon. It is also much more powerful than the other two moves. But it does have the recoil. Fire Fang deals with steels, which are usually good against Stoutlands other moves. Finally, Ice Fang can surprise dragons, like garchomp.

And now, more puns

Sandland.

Stoutswag

Stoutsand

I wag my tail back and forth, I wag my tail back and forth...

Scuirrel!

Shih-tzu! Bless you.

Canine punishment.
    Last edited by Grassmaster411; 20th November 2012 at 12:00 AM.
    3DS FC: 4081-5902-7378 Add Me!
        Spoiler:- My Champion Teams:

Credit to Forever and Again art shop

Credit to VampirateMace for the Banner

Stoutland's usefulness comes mainly from synergizing Stoutland with its Allies and Partners:
    -Sand Rush Stoutland appreciates having Sand Stream Hippowdon around and can be a real pain for Excadrill if it's Jolly Stout' against Adamant Exca'
    -Scrappy Stoutland is a definitive Revenge-KO Pokemon with Retaliate and can wreck Sableye and Spiritomb's natural lack of Weaknesses with Superpower (more often used on the bulkier Spiritomb)
    -Intimidate Stoutland makes many Battles more survivable (even if slightly) for Pokemon with lower Defense compared to their Sp.Def like Cryogonal, Mantine, Mr. Mime, Kecleon, Hypno, Gallade, the Hitmon-trio, Flareon, Slowking, Grumpig, Roserade, Mismagius, Jellicent, Ninetales, Tentacruel, Muk, Venusaur, Politoed, Ludicolo, Stunfisk, Dewgong, Jynx...need I continue? There are so many Pokemon that appreciate coming in on an Attack debuffed Physical Attacker (especially because it can force a switch).

Stoutland's lackluster Stats aren't that lackluster. Stoutland's Attack ties Dusknoir, Flygon, Zebstrika, Throh, Sawsbuck, Klinklang, Tauros, Rapidash, and Sandslash, so it isn't too worthy of asking for more with that kind of company. Speed isn't the best, but Sand Rush cranks it into overdrive. Intimidate, as jesusfreak94 pointed out, raises your bulk in a small, yet significant way, allowing your Defense to be pseudo-buffed.
    Pokémon X Friend Safari: Snover, Bergmite, Piloswine.

Ever see a Corsola 1-shot an Uber? Arceus bless Pokemon Stadium 2...
    WARNING: Strong profanity and extreme hilarity in this video. Viewer discretion and pointing-and-laughing advised.

Here's my set, I like to use this one:

Stoutland@Expert Belt
    252 atk 252 speed 4 hp
    Jolly Nature
    Intimidate

Return
    Crunch
    Wild Charge
    Ice Fang

Return for STAB, crunch for ghosts, and ice+electric for extra coverage.

My opinion: While this may not have the best stats, it was still a good idea competitively. It has flaws, but it's still good. Under the right hands, this thing can do very well. Plus, it amazing in-game, it's helpful with beating the game.
    3DS FC: 5043 1366 9389

I'll be gone on vacation until I get home sometime Sunday the 28th. Sorry guys.

Looking for that extremespeed linoone with adamant or jolly (when it comes out). If you're gonna get one, I'd appreciate it. I can clone it if needed.
    I'm willing to sell my soul for it

I've used Intimidate (see my prior set) in doubles tournaments before alongside a physically defensive SubPunch Scrafty on a Beat Up Terrakion team (what can I say, I still lack weather-sources, and cannot be bothered training a Larvitar at the moment). The results are quite amusing when Fighting types find themselves no longer capable of smashing Scrafty's substitute with Close Combat, while Stoutland boosted by Tailwind can quite easily flatten most non-Ghost threats with Retaliate boosted by Normal Gem - I've used it against Latios and Cresselia, and aside for the fact that Scrafty was quite happily Crunching Cresselia, Stoutland then outsped and one-hit Latios. It also backs up the nature of the Shiny Stoutland I use - Lonely. Lonely nature + Intimidate drop often averages out to standard defense.
    White FC: 3525-8343-7779

White 2 FC: 2752 8974 6529

While I'm no experienced trainer, I'll battle, trade and give anything a go...

FOR THE FREEDOM OF FANFIC WRITERS EVERYWHERE!

-Scrappy Stoutland is a definitive Revenge-KO Pokemon with Retaliate and can wreck Sableye and Spiritomb's natural lack of Weaknesses with Superpower (more often used on the bulkier Spiritomb)
    Saybleye will always Will-o-Wisp Stoutland before it uses retaliate, so it's only for Spiritomb.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    My Secret Base, Version 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    Saybleye will always Will-o-Wisp Stoutland before it uses retaliate, so it's only for Spiritomb.
    Very true, though you may run into the occasional Prankster Sableye without WoW or a non-Prankster Sableye (both quite rare, but possible). Even then, I mentioned long ago that Stoutland has an issue with getting Burned, so I mentioned Fire Types as likely allies. Furthermore, Sableye would fear switching into Stoutland and Stoutland would, likewise, fear staying to face Sableye - Sableye is relatively fragile and Stoutland can't outrun a Prankster's Status Moves.

Sableye is not a hard-counter because it can't get in safely on a Stoutland that's already there (except as a KO replacement), but it does severely cripple Stoutland and prevent it from getting in safely itself. Stoutland VS Sableye is more about entry timing than actually facing each other outright...
    Pokémon X Friend Safari: Snover, Bergmite, Piloswine.

Ever see a Corsola 1-shot an Uber? Arceus bless Pokemon Stadium 2...
    WARNING: Strong profanity and extreme hilarity in this video. Viewer discretion and pointing-and-laughing advised.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraleck View Post
    Very true, though you may run into the occasional Prankster Sableye without WoW or a non-Prankster Sableye (both quite rare, but possible). Even then, I mentioned long ago that Stoutland has an issue with getting Burned, so I mentioned Fire Types as likely allies. Furthermore, Sableye would fear switching into Stoutland and Stoutland would, likewise, fear staying to face Sableye - Sableye is relatively fragile and Stoutland can't outrun a Prankster's Status Moves.

Sableye is not a hard-counter because it can't get in safely on a Stoutland that's already there (except as a KO replacement), but it does severely cripple Stoutland and prevent it from getting in safely itself. Stoutland VS Sableye is more about entry timing than actually facing each other outright...
    Only extreame noobs don't use prankster sableye.
    stoutland shouldn't run scrafty outside of RU and sableye is UU.. ok maybe in UU
    Last edited by Ilan; 21st November 2012 at 7:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Oak
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Shortcut to damage calculator

Quote Originally Posted by Kraleck View Post

Most Sableye run Will-o-wisp. that is its main niche.

Sand Rush w/ Muscle Band/Scope Lens/Life Orb/White Herb/Fighting Gem
    Adamant w/ 252 Attack, 252 Speed, 6 Defense/Sp Defense
    Facade/Return
    Crunch
    Wild Charge/Fire Fang/Ice Fang
    Superpower

Partners:
    Sandstorm-users if Sand Rush is used.

Countering:
    Defensive pokemon with fighting-type moves like Superpower Donphan, Hammer Arm Metagross/Rhyperior, Tangrowth, Scrafty, Throh, Hitmontop, and Brick Break Golem/Armaldo/Sandslash/Drapion/Kabutops.
    Flame Body/Will-o-wisp-users
    Last edited by sbktdreed; 25th November 2012 at 2:14 AM. Reason: From recent replies.
    Got Pokémon X. Intend to get either Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire.
    No info about my Friend Safari.
    Vivillon Pattern: Polar
    Looking for nicknamed, shiny, and/or have a hidden ability in GTS and may battle at anytime.
    If interested, send a private message with your ID #.

You need to run Jolly to outrun Choice Scarf Terrakion, which is the main reason to use Stoutland over something like Scarf Garchomp, Scarf Landorus, Scarf Terrakion, or Sandslash. If you run Jolly however you lose some crucial power, for example you no longer OHKO Latios, Volcarona, Thundurus T etc.

Neither nature option is very good, which is in part why Stoutland isn't very good. Boosted Return / Superpower / electric has decent coverage in OU though so I guess its usable if Scarf Terrakion or Sandslash don't fit well.

Quote Originally Posted by sbktdreed View Post
    Adamant w/ 252 Attack, 84 Defense, 84 Sp Defense, 90 Speed
    Facade/Return
    Crunch
    Wild Charge/Thunder Fang/Fire Fang
    Superpower

Partners:

Countering:
    Defensive pokemon with fighting-type moves like Superpower Aggron/Donphan, Defiant Bisharp, Hammer Arm Metagross/Rhyperior, Tangrowth, Sky Uppercut Gliscor, Scrafty, Focus Blast Slowbro, Blastoise, Pinsir, Feraligatr, and Brick Break Golem/Armaldo/Kingler/Sandslash/Drapion/Kabutops.
    Ferrothorn
    Dusknoir
    Aggron and bisharp are normally destroyed by superpower. Kingler falls to wild charge. So does blastoise and feraligatr
    Throh looks like a good counter, since it is very bulky and can hit back with guts boosted storm throw/superpower. Priority users, like technitop can destroy it. On second thought, intimidate ruins it, so look towards hitmontop again.

Adamant w/ 252 Attack, 84 Defense, 84 Sp Defense, 90 Speed
    Facade/Return
    Crunch
    Wild Charge/Thunder Fang/Fire Fang
    Superpower

Partners:

Countering:
    Defensive pokemon with fighting-type moves like Superpower Aggron/Donphan, Defiant Bisharp, Hammer Arm Metagross/Rhyperior, Tangrowth, Sky Uppercut Gliscor, Scrafty, Focus Blast Slowbro, Blastoise, Pinsir, Feraligatr, and Brick Break Golem/Armaldo/Kingler/Sandslash/Drapion/Kabutops.
    Ferrothorn
    Dusknoir
    Those are not couters.. couter is one which can switch into stoutland and beat it moves or pokemons which can't really do it (I think throh is 2HKOed by band adamant return) dusknoir is hit hard by cruch etc. you are also listing things that no one uses.. sky uppercut gliscor I am not even sure he gets the move (but he doesn't use it anyway so.. slowbro never uses focus blast.. and is hit hard by wild charge pinsir is 2HKOed by return.
    just going to "top defense stats list" and just listing is not bringing true counters..

Give me 1 reason why to use thunder fang over wild charge and why not using choice band or 252 speed your sets are always really weird.
    Last edited by Ilan; 22nd November 2012 at 10:35 AM.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan View Post
    Those are not couters.. couter is one which can switch into stoutland and beat it moves or pokemons which can't really do it (I think throh is 2HKOed by band adamant return) dusknoir is hit hard by cruch etc. you are also listing things that no one uses.. sky uppercut gliscor I am not even sure he gets the move (but he doesn't use it anyway so.. slowbro never uses focus blast.. and is hit hard by wild charge pinsir is 2HKOed by return.
    just going to "top defense stats list" and just listing is not bringing true counters..

Give me 1 reason why to use thunder fang over wild charge and why not using choice band or 252 speed your sets are always really weird.
    Am afraid gliscor does get sky uppercut. Lv45 in bw2. Still not a counter though, due to ice fang.

Thought throh would be a counter, though.
    Last edited by philzone; 22nd November 2012 at 10:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by philzone View Post
    Am afraid gliscor does get sky uppercut. Lv45 in bw2. Darn. Thought throh would be a counter
    A neutral Earthquake is just a little bit weaker than SE sky uppercut anyway.. 150 BP vs. 170 BP
    (really just learn how to calculate the base power of the moves (base power= power of the move*SE/resistance*STAB)
    STAB= 1.5 if it is the same type or 1 if not
    SE= *2 if weak *4 if double weak
    resistance the same way but with 0.5 and 0.25

And it is not a counter since some stoutlands carry ice fang which (almost 100% sure) 2HKOes.

A neutral Earthquake is just a little bit weaker than SE sky uppercut anyway.. 150 BP vs. 170 BP
    (really just learn how to calculate the base power of the moves (base power= power of the move*SE/resistance*STAB)
    STAB= 1.5 if it is the same type or 1 if not
    SE= *2 if weak *4 if double weak
    resistance the same way but with 0.5 and 0.25

And it is not a counter since some stoutlands carry ice fang which (almost 100% sure) 2HKOes.
    Wasn't saying that it was a counter. Was just saying that it could learn it. Plus, I do know about STAB and weakness/resistance modifiers.

I think I wasn't clear with my last post. Was hoping that throh could counter. It is 3HKOed with choice band, and 252 attack, using return and throh with 252 def and hp (but that is rarely used)
    Last edited by philzone; 22nd November 2012 at 10:29 PM.

Wasn't saying that it was a counter. Was just saying that it could learn it. Plus, I do know about STAB and weakness/resistance modifiers.

I think I wasn't clear with my last post. Was hoping that throh could counter. It is 3HKOed with choice band, and 252 attack, using return and throh with 252 def and hp (but that is rarely used)
    If he doesn't counter with 252 HP and 252 attack or 252 HP and 252 sp.d then he is not a counter.. (since no one will use 252 HP 252 defense spread).

Aggron and bisharp are normally destroyed by superpower. Kingler falls to wild charge. So does blastoise and feraligatr
    Throh looks like a good counter, since it is very bulky and can hit back with guts boosted storm throw/superpower. Priority users, like technitop can destroy it. On second thought, intimidate ruins it, so look towards hitmontop again.
    Am afraid gliscor does get sky uppercut. Lv45 in bw2. Still not a counter though, due to ice fang.

Thought throh would be a counter, though.

I'm already made the changes to my original post. Although I chose Wild Charge over Thunder Fang on my original post, Thunder Fang can cause flinching and paralysis while the stronger Wild Charge causes 25% recoil damage; which can be a problem when Stoutland's health is low against a Wailord, a Blissey, or any high-HP and/or recoverer pokemon in the long run.
    Last edited by sbktdreed; 23rd November 2012 at 9:51 AM.
    Got Pokémon X. Intend to get either Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire.
    No info about my Friend Safari.
    Vivillon Pattern: Polar
    Looking for nicknamed, shiny, and/or have a hidden ability in GTS and may battle at anytime.
    If interested, send a private message with your ID #.

If he doesn't counter with 252 HP and 252 attack or 252 HP and 252 sp.d then he is not a counter.. (since no one will use 252 HP 252 defense spread).
    Just checked 252 hp and 4 def. Definate 2HKO on throh.

I voooooote: Therian forme, landorous: did tht go already: i did tht wrong, right? Ah well, i put it out thereeeeeeeeee...........

Claimed Majora's Mask/Skull Kid | 3DSFC - 4811.7177.1372.Liam | Art by me, TIL Userbar by Astral Shadow

Formerly: Chapter of Charizard

I'm already made the changes to my original post. Although I chose Wild Charge over Thunder Fang on my original post, Thunder Fang can cause flinching and paralysis while the stronger Wild Charge causes 25% recoil damage; which can be a problem when Stoutland's health is low against a Wailord, a Blissey, or any high-HP and/or recoverer pokemon in the long run.
    If blissey and wailord are problems to stoutland then also magikarp is.
    both are 2HKOed by most of stoutlands attacks (blisseyt is 0HKOed by an attack) and wailord sucks.
    There is no reason in hell why to use thunder fang over wild charge.. so what if it have recoil did you know that when you fail to KO a pokemon it will hit you with an attack or a crippling status?
    WIld charge can be replaced with ice fang though if you really hate gliscor salamence and dragonite.

^ yes you did that wrong..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12