Thread: Bant Control (MTG Standard)

Default Bant Control (MTG Standard)

This has been my go-to deck for a while now. I've been tweaking and changing it ever-so slightly since RtR was released. It started as a Midrange deck, utilizing Loxodon Smiters, Armada Wurms, a Trostani, no Walkers, and more creatures overall. But as I changed it and tweaked it to what worked, I found that the Midrange aspect of the deck wasn't as favorable as the Control ability. So I added the Angel of Serenity, then the Sphinx's Revelation, then the Jaces, and the Tamiyos, and finally I realized that I was playing a Control deck and went all-in.

My sideboard is still very much a work in progress, and changes depending on what I'm expecting for tournaments and my competition. Memory Adept was a new addition that was an all star at last night's Standard Tournament for a Commander's Arsenal set. I didn't win, but I gained a LOT of experience from those four rounds.

Spoiler:- Bant Control:

"You can call yourself whatever you want.
    Soldier. Leader. Patriot. Revolutionary. It doesn't matter.
    At our core we're all the same thing.
    Monsters."

Pretty powerful deck alright.

It can reset an entire board with incredible ease, but chances are it won't need to since you're already packing Serenity, Detention, O'Ring and two minor counters, and Restoration Angel can reset the targets for Serenity of use and abuse of Thragtusk's bounciness.

The only way I can see this deck failing (in normal, fair circumstances) is against another control deck that can counter your creatures and re-counter your own counters, which depend heavily on what each player has on their hands.

Seems pretty tight alright. Nothing a low level player like me can pick on at all.

That's why I have cavern of Souls calling Beast and Angel. Those are the only 2 creature types I run (not-boarded). Against other Control decks I use Jace, Memory Adept and Sigarda, Host of Herons. Sigarda only loses to a board-wipe, and Jace just mills them into absurdity. I've also changed the mainboard mana base by taking out a Gavony Township (which at 1 is fine b/c I don't have as many creatures) and adding in a Ghost Quarter (which lets me destroy their Caverns and/or utility Lands).

Ghost Quarter with the Tamiyo Emblem is...just unfair. Though just about ANYTHING with the Tamiyo emblem is unfair.

I could see cutting down on my mainboard Board-wipes for more draw-spells and counter-spells.

My worst matchup is against Junk Rites. Especially the build my friend has. It's just SO powerful. Hitting a Griselbrand/Angel of Serenity on T4 is unbelievably hard to deal with. Even if I lock down his Graveyard with Rest in Peace he's STILL just Ramping into huge threats like Craterhoof Behemoth, and gaining life with Centaur Healer/Thragtusk-Resto shenanigans. My Naya deck actually has a better matchup against him. Though less of a matchup against Bant Control...ironically.

Jund Midrange is coming Next Week. Stay tuned for that nastiness.

"You can call yourself whatever you want.
    Soldier. Leader. Patriot. Revolutionary. It doesn't matter.
    At our core we're all the same thing.
    Monsters."