Thread: Gen IV HG Battle Tower Team Help

Default Gen IV HG Battle Tower Team Help

Alright guys this is my first post, and I've been playing around with the trickScarf idea for a bit and it's worked ok, but i'm debating switched to a team of sweepers while i earn some bp to make a TScarf team the right way.
    (as it sits right now i've been using my alakazam as i dont have enough bp to teach trick to my latias/uxie/cresselia). Anyway, here we go...

Current Team:
    Alakazam@ChoiceScarf- Calm (252 SPatk, 252 Spd)
    -Trick
    -Flash
    -Focus Blast
    -Shadow Ball
    (Trying to get T.Wave onto him but dont have the BPyet,been breeding...)
    My only choice right now for a trickscarf lead, as I dont have the BP to tutor someone else trick.

Scizor @ Metal Coat - Naive (252 atk, 100 hp, 152 spd)
    Technician
    -Substitute
    -X-scissor
    -Bullet punch
    -Swords dance
    Scizor is an awesome compliment to alakazam as he easily handles the bug/ghost/dark moves that I commonly trap enemies into with 'Zam. Classic Sub/SD/bullet punch sweeper combo, with x-scissor for pesky psychic/certain dark types.

-Starmie @ Life Orb - Modest (252 SpAtk, 252 Spd)
    -Thunderbolt
    -Psychic
    -Surf
    -Ice Beam
    Classic BT starmie build, comes in to finish off whatever scizor couldn't take care of, and to take care of palmer when i get to him. He covers any fire/ground types that can give Scizor trouble, and though he shares the same weakness of alakazam, he's not meant to take hits anyways.

Thats the team I'm currently using.. I know there are a few problems with my lead and having starmie as a revenge killer, but i'm working on it. I plan on switching Alakazam for Cresselia or Uxie once i get enough bp to teach them trick.

Now the real point of this post, I have a few other pokemon I have EV trained and raised to be used in the BT and I've wracked my brain lately trying to build a team and i'm looking for any input from the more experienced people out there. Suggestions as to which pokemon (of the ones i have already) to use, possible move changes, or suggestions as to maybe a new pokemon to breed that would work well with two others I already have. I feel like I'm Asking for a lot here, but i thought it would be worth a shot. Here we go- and i'm not posting items because that's all up in the air depending on what combination of pokemon i use. And if you can, please refrain from suggesting rebreeding a pokemon to change it's nature, i know some of them aren't perfect, and if it comes down to it, I can, but i prefer not to at the moment.

Leafeon- Serious - Leaf Guard - (252 atk, 252 spd)
    -Aerial Ace
    -Leaf Blade
    -Return
    -Dig (two turn move, i know, but viable in BT)
    Leafeon has considerable bulk, and pretty good atk/speed actually. He can come in, take out a fair number of types with leaf blade/return/dig and has aerial ace for double teamers/fighting types/other bulky grass. He can take a good amount of physical punishment as well, granted he could be better if he had the right nature.

Sneasel - Jolly - Focus sash - Inner Focus (252 atk, 252 spd)
    -Swords Dance
    -Ice Punch
    -Night Slash
    -Brick Break
    Probably run him as a sweeper team with scizor and flygon, or even alongside alakazam and scizor as he can set up with one turn, then sweep very nicely.

Steelix - Quirky - leftovers - Sturdy (252 hp, 252 SpDef)
    -Curse
    -Stone Edge
    -Payback
    -Gyro Ball
    Steelix presents another option as a set up sweeper, while also acting as a physical wall. He has massive defense, and with his already low speed, if alakazam tricks a poke into a physical move, or a dark/bug move, steelix can set up with no problem and though he has to eat an attack, he can tear people apart with gyro ball. payback for coverage and the bonus for attacking after. Could possibly run on a trick room team?

Blazekin - Naive - Blaze (252 Atk, 252 Spd) (i know Infernape is better but i have no access to one ATM)
    -Sky Uppercut
    -Rock Slide
    -Brave Bird
    -Blaze Kick/Flame Thrower
    Blazekin works nicely with starmie and weavile as a straight sweeper team, though i may need to give him agility as he gets out speeded on occasion.

(Bagon soon to be )Salamence - Naive - Intimidate (252 Atk, 252 Spd)
    -Dragon Dance/Hydro Pump (i have one of each)
    -Dragon Claw
    -Fire Fang
    -Crunch
    Classic DDMence. Good coverage with blazekin and weavile/starmie, could run as a sweeper team or as a set up with trickZam, although that's a bit trickier. (pun intended)

Magnezone - Modest - Sturdy (252 SpAtk, other EVs scattered, been growing berries to fix)
    -Thunderbolt
    -Flash (not sure why i put flash on him..)
    -Substitute
    -Thunderwave
    Magnezone has great special bulk, decent physical defense and nice resistances thanks to steel type. Sturdy for hax protection in BT, although he could probably use a few new moves.

I've been tossing around the idea of breeding/raising a flygon instead of salamence and running it with my weavile/scizor as a sweeper team.

I know this is kind of a long shot of a post and a LOT to read, But I thought maybe i could get some help here. Any and all suggestions welcome, but i would like to not have to EV train 2 new pokemon RIGHT NOW just to make a team. Preferably i'd like ideas on how to make a team from what i have, or possibly raise one new mon to go with them. And for reference, I have Access to a finished diamond gamesave. Thanks for your time guys and gals.
    Last edited by CMHennigan; 19th November 2012 at 11:48 PM.

The 3 members on your team at the moment seem fine
    Can I ask what's your intent on the EV's for scizor?

Well I originally spec'd him for speed and atk, then i used a berry to drop him to 100 speed EVs and then went HP for bulk and for subs. Debating whether i should drop the rest for SpDef/hp since his primary atk is a priority move anyway, or leave it to help him outspeed certain pokemon on the sub turn. I just found out last night that his IVs are horrible -.- Honestly thinking about rebreeding him for adamant nature instead of speed boosting, and then going enough speed to beat slow status users on the sub turn, then the rest to hp and atk. (i had the epiphany that since natures are 1.1X boosted and 0.9X hindered, he can get a bigger boost from an atk boosting nature than a speed boosting nature, and then get speed EVs to make up for it, still learning, i know..) Open to suggestions though.

Well I don't know a horrible amount about the pokemon and battle tower in general but I would just go the standard way of maxing speed and HP.
    100HP EV's is good but really it doesn't do a horribly large amount.
    Also you might as well go with bug bite > x scissor since you have technician boost. bug bite will be a bit more powerful

Yeah i was thinking that, i just dont have the BP just yet. Im honestly most likely replacing my bug type attack with roost to restore any hp lost from setting up. UPDATE:I just beat the first palmer today with my current team of 'Zam, Scizor and Starmie. Im considering switching 'zam for my latias which has much better IVs, and would probably be a more reliable trickscarfer since she can also charm and has WAY more bulk. Im thinking:
    Latias@ Choice Scarf
    Timid
    252 HP 252 Spd 6 def
    Trick
    Thunderwave
    Charm
    recover/wish/Mist
    Obviously trick first, then thunderwave to kill the speed bonus, Recover/wish when necessary and charm to help set up with next poke.

I also have an uxie, but his IVs are horrible -.- stats are ok since his sassy nature balances it out. Level 50 he's at 136/90/145/85/152/94 So i'm thinking EV for speed and HP since his Defenses are already pretty good. He would be something like
    Uxie @ trickscarf
    Sassy
    252 HP, 252 Spd, (if someone could tell me what his spd should be to outrun everything while he's scarfed that would be appreciated and i could put points in defense)
    Trick
    Memento
    Thunderwave
    Yawn
    Trick - Thunderwave - Yawn - Memento in that orderin a perfect scenario. Obviously i know thats not going to happen every time. If it's something scizor can set up on then dont bother with momento and just use yawn on third turn after T.Wave and switch scizor into a sleeping opponent. Otherwise momento and switch after uxie dies.
    Also, what i really need is a recommendation for a decent special sweeper for my team with some bulk to run alongside scizor, because starmie is just way too frail, and so is my weavile. I have a Suicune that is Calm, and i cn turn him into a CM sweeper, or I've been breeding trapinch to raise a flygon since i'll have one dragon type, one steel type which covers basically all resistances in the game, scizor handles ice types and flygon brushes off ground atks with levitate, and fire attacks are 4X resisted. Any suggestions?

scratch that, I may replace yawn with flash since bringing uxie back into play is useless and he's much better used as a suicide lead. Combining -6 accuracy with -2 atk and -2 SpAtk should allow scizor to set up pretty easily i would think on a physical or even a weak special attack. If the enemy uses a status move, I'll just continue to flash with uxie, and hope it doesn't hit scizor when he switches in, and that he can get a sub up. If it's a stat move, then i'll just trick-T wave- and switch to Scizor, that way in case something manages to take out scizor, i can switch back to uxie to use memento, and hopefully weaken it enough for my last poke to come in and finish it off.

Flash on Latias , all the way.

You might want to consider getting rid of Roost on Scizor for Superpower. It'll help you against Skarmory dearly. If so , Leftovers > Metal Coat.
    I'm feelin' electric tonight
    Cruising down the coast goin' 'bout 99
    Got my bad baby by my heavenly side
    I know if I go, I'll die happy tonight

I'm currently breeding for an adamant DD mence, which will replace my starmie since i saw how ridiculously easy the first palmer is with a trick lead. thinking Sub, DD, Outrage, and fire fang til i get EQ. with a lum berry of course

Got my Addy bagon with sub/dd last night, gonna raise him for outrage/Dragon claw and fire fang til i get EQ, then probably use him as a set up sweeper alongside scizor after i teach uxie trick. Debating RNG abusing my latias since i still have one to catch in HG. anyone have any experience with that? O.o

Great type coverage.

Ty. So I found out yesterday that if you take your opponent down to 1hp, then they use take down and your poke faints, then they faint due to recoil, you still lose T_T FK you Mightyena. I guess that was my fault for switching choice band for focus sash on starmie though.. bleh. got my weavile EV trained and raised up, and Bagon will be done today, probably a salamence by the end of the day and i'll try out my new team after i get trick on uxie. I'm thinking trick, thunderwave/yawn, momento, and i need one more more. any suggestions??

Ive changed my whole strategy. As it stands now I'm going with cresselia, scizor, and salamence.

Cresselia @ TrickScarf - lonely (i know i know)
    (128 spd, 252 hp, 76 def, 54 SpDef) Strange i know, but this gives me 112 speed, which is 168 after the scarf, just enough to outrun base 100 pokes with a speed boosting nature and max speed EVs, guaranteeing i get the trick the first turn. The rest goes to maxing HP, and balancing Defenses.
    -Trick
    -Flash
    -Safeguard
    -Thunderwave
    Standard strategy, trick first:
    -If it's an attack, use Thunderwave first then follow with flash until fainting. Or if it's resisted by scizor or salamence, switch to set up.
    -If it's a status attack, Thunderwave then safeguard, immediately switch to a sweeper to sub, then set up.
    -If it's a stat increase immediately switch and set up, if it's a stat decrease - specifically a def decrease for my poke, use T-Wave, followed by 6 flashes, then switch to sweeper and set up, anything else, just an immediate switch.
    -Debating swapping out Safeguard for Light Screen to decrease damage my sweepers take while setting up from special attacks, and i can protect from status to an extent by using flash, but it's not a guarantee and a paralyze on my sweeper could put me in a bad place.
    Scizor @ Leftovers - Jolly
    (252 hp, 252 Attack)
    -Substitute
    -Swords Dance
    -Bullet Punch
    -X-Scissor (switching to bug bite soon, as i also use him on my in game team for the E-4 and red)
    Standard sweeping strategy here. Thinking about rebreeding for adamant nature and running roost over Bug Bite to help recover when setting up, and then swapping Leftovers for Steel Plate as i'm not too happy with his stats at the moment. But he's working out.

I have 2 Ideas for my Current Bagon

Salamence @Lum Berry - Adamant
    252 atk, 252 speed, 4 Hp
    -Substitute
    -Dragon Dance
    -Outrage
    -Fire Fang
    Obvious Strategy, set up sweeper, outrage/lum berry combo for massive damage after setting up, with Fire Fang over EQ to take care of bronzong and scarmory, i can deal with other types without EQ. I cant afford to get walled. I can also run superpower on scizor instead of roost for coverage on Heatran or fireproof bronzong.

Other Idea
    Salamence @ Life Orb - Adamant
    252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 Hp
    -Dragon Dance
    -EarthQuake
    -Dragon Claw
    -Fire Fang

No sub on this version, he's more of a 1 turn set up revenge killer, as he gets perfect coverage with his attacks, and after 1 DD he should be able to take care of whatever gave scizor problems since he also has life orb. I can still use him to set up on certain leads, but not as many as the other version. I think i'm leaning more this way as opposed to having 2 set up sweepers with 2 attacks each, since i have perfect coverage this way. Granted he's not immune to status, but like i said he's not meant to be a +6 sweeper. He's supposed to come in, eat one attack to DD, then outspeed and KO.
    Suggestions? Changes?