Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: Contestshipping (May x Drew) Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Encyclopika
    It really is an opposites attract pair, down to every detail. Just look at the contrast of their character designs and personalities!
    I read somewhere that their japanese names are literal opposites of each other - Haruka means spring and Shuu means autumn, or something to that effect? If this is right, then Drew was quite literally designed to be her opposite from the start

We discussed when Drew's feelings for May started, but what about May's feelings? We are pretty sure she reciprocates, and we know it's later, but is it as late as we think?
    This is actually quite a hard question. I've said before that I think May was written to be kind of a female version of Ash, and she shares his naivety and innocence, so I think she didn't start to suspect Drew's feeling towards her until Brianna pretty much pointed it out. The question is, had she started developing feelings towards him before this, or did she only start to look at him that way after she knew he liked her already?
    I think she had begun to like him, but hadn't quite realised it yet. She starts to show interest and affection for him fairly early on, such as watching him practice with masquerain behind the pokemon centre, or the way she greets him happily and seems concerned at the beginning of Disaster of Disguise - she obviously never disliked him, and is actually the first to approach him on some occasions. The wynaut ep was probably when those feelings started to grow. She got to spend time one on one with Drew, they saved each others lives - the kind of stuff that makes good relationships I think this is the point where they start to respect each other, and I think its here that they start to consider each other as friends (May denies it in the GF, but it seems to me that shes being defensive because Harley had pointed out the romantic connotations of the rose). After he helps her out with Harley she definitely sees more of a friend in him, and she gets especially upset when he yells at her.
    So by the time she meets Brianna, I think the foundations of her feelings towards him were there, but she needed someone to question it, to make her see them. After this, May starts to act a bit more coy around Drew, more flirty than friendly, and she becomes a lot more confident with him, teasing him back and so on.
    Gamer, film fanatic, wannabe animator, concept artist and 3D environment artist, and general nerd

All contestshippers must go here. And if your not a contestshipper go here anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by lara lynx View Post
    I read somewhere that their japanese names are literal opposites of each other - Haruka means spring and Shuu means autumn, or something to that effect? If this is right, then Drew was quite literally designed to be her opposite from the start

We discussed when Drew's feelings for May started, but what about May's feelings? We are pretty sure she reciprocates, and we know it's later, but is it as late as we think?
    This is actually quite a hard question. I've said before that I think May was written to be kind of a female version of Ash, and she shares his naivety and innocence, so I think she didn't start to suspect Drew's feeling towards her until Brianna pretty much pointed it out. The question is, had she started developing feelings towards him before this, or did she only start to look at him that way after she knew he liked her already?
    I think she had begun to like him, but hadn't quite realised it yet. She starts to show interest and affection for him fairly early on, such as watching him practice with masquerain behind the pokemon centre, or the way she greets him happily and seems concerned at the beginning of Disaster of Disguise - she obviously never disliked him, and is actually the first to approach him on some occasions. The wynaut ep was probably when those feelings started to grow. She got to spend time one on one with Drew, they saved each others lives - the kind of stuff that makes good relationships I think this is the point where they start to respect each other, and I think its here that they start to consider each other as friends (May denies it in the GF, but it seems to me that shes being defensive because Harley had pointed out the romantic connotations of the rose). After he helps her out with Harley she definitely sees more of a friend in him, and she gets especially upset when he yells at her.
    So by the time she meets Brianna, I think the foundations of her feelings towards him were there, but she needed someone to question it, to make her see them. After this, May starts to act a bit more coy around Drew, more flirty than friendly, and she becomes a lot more confident with him, teasing him back and so on.
    Gosh, I'm such a huge fan of the whole opposites and yin/yang thing. I remember I read that whole bit about their names, too, and I was like "oh my gosh". I love how their differences make the other stand out so much.

take me somewhere stars are still asleep.

I found a really fluffy but good oneshot by the girl who made the fanart mentioned above: http://poplarleaves.deviantart.com/a...ling-337536248

YES! I almost forgot when I was concentrating on Harley! XD However, though I believe Solidad to be an in-show shipper (and kind of a mary-sue :X), I think I remember when the episode aired in English, there was skepticism because she actually didn't say that in the Japanese version. Which makes sense, because when she spills Drew's guts for him, there is absolutely no reaction at all. The reaction comes when she reveals other not-so-flattering things about him (/why is she so evil???). However, her telling May that Drew talks about her a lot is still an indicator of interest on Drew's side, but Solidad is probably just saying it as she sees it. I wouldn't say she wouldn't support it, but I don't remember it being as clear as when Caroline or Harley did it.
    GAH! I was wondering why May's reaction seemed waaaay too casual after what Solidad said. Now I've gotta go apologize to May for wanting to slap some sense into her for not realizing what Solidad just told her ^^;; But either way, she said it, and that's all I need. xD
    Caroline and Harley got more of a reaction, to me, because they were so teasing about it. Caroline in her motherly way, and Harley...just being Harley. ("It's daaangerous! Two kids alone like this!" /love you, Har). They were purposely trying to incite a reaction from them--well, May at least, Drew wouldn't say anything either way.
    Friend Safari: Fighting with Meditite, Tyrogue & Sawk.
    3196-3352-8113
    Kanto villains? Why are you here?!
    Because Unova villains are too stupid to take over Unova!
    [IMG]http://i57.*******.com/2a6uxwo.jpg[/IMG]
    Sig made by me, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by lara lynx
    I've said before that I think May was written to be kind of a female version of Ash, and she shares his naivety and innocence, so I think she didn't start to suspect Drew's feeling towards her until Brianna pretty much pointed it out.
    How do you see her reaction to the rose he threw her at the end of the Fallarbor Contest (after she gets her first ever ribbon)? I always saw it as she had an inkling...since she's so...somewhat sarcastic when she asks if the rose is for Beautifly or not (when before she'd get mad/upset when he said that). I'm not trying to start an argument, just discussing. XD

I think she had begun to like him, but hadn't quite realised it yet. She starts to show interest and affection for him fairly early on, such as watching him practice with masquerain behind the pokemon centre, or the way she greets him happily and seems concerned at the beginning of Disaster of Disguise - she obviously never disliked him, and is actually the first to approach him on some occasions.
    Yes...I find the gravitational pull Drew and May have on one another to be really quite adorable. Whenever they are in a scene together, their focus switches right to the other and everyone else is pretty much standing around (this is especially obvious when May wins her final ribbon in Kanto, and she just turns around and bolts for Drew while Ash is still talking to her, it's pretty funny). I always found it quite peculiar, because Drew rarely, in the beginning, showed May his sweeter side, so why she would go up to him, only to be criticized, is really kinda pathetic...<3<3<3

So by the time she meets Brianna, I think the foundations of her feelings towards him were there, but she needed someone to question it, to make her see them.
    Yes, I think this is pretty undeniable. Once Brianna brought it up, clear as day, the gears really started turning in May's head about this possibility of considering Drew something more than a friend. The dub of this episode is pretty painful to watch though. DX I really implore anyone who hasn't seen it or still has fond memories of it rewatch it Raw or Subbed, because Brianna's "Mr.Drew" crap was the dumbest thing ever. DX

Quote Originally Posted by RockettotheMoon
    GAH! I was wondering why May's reaction seemed waaaay too casual after what Solidad said. Now I've gotta go apologize to May for wanting to slap some sense into her for not realizing what Solidad just told her ^^;; But either way, she said it, and that's all I need. xD
    LOL I had really forgotten about it until I rewatched, and I was like "this is really awkward...good job PUSA /sarcasm"
    Encyclopika's Fic of the Moment:

Encyclopika:
    Made the banner
    Is a GIRL. >.>;;
    Has a deviantART account and a Tumblr
    Is on Fanfiction.net.
    Need a moveset for a specific Pokemon for a specific contest? PM me!
    Don't reply to my infractions. It's not gonna change anything.

Random friend requests do nothing. Let's actually talk first. >_<

How do you see her reaction to the rose he threw her at the end of the Fallarbor Contest (after she gets her first ever ribbon)? I always saw it as she had an inkling...since she's so...somewhat sarcastic when she asks if the rose is for Beautifly or not (when before she'd get mad/upset when he said that). I'm not trying to start an argument, just discussing. XD
    Well I think shes only loosely based on Ash - as a girl she should naturally have more of a clue when it comes to romance XD But I think she knew the roses were never meant for beautifly, but I'm still not sure if she saw them as romantic in the beginning. I think she saw them more as symbols of respect, or something like that maybe? I say this because, whenever he gave her one, she never got embarrassed about it, she just took them cheerfully. Then Harley comes along and points out how romantic it is, and all of a sudden she gets all flushed XD

Yes...I find the gravitational pull Drew and May have on one another to be really quite adorable. Whenever they are in a scene together, their focus switches right to the other and everyone else is pretty much standing around (this is especially obvious when May wins her final ribbon in Kanto, and she just turns around and bolts for Drew while Ash is still talking to her, it's pretty funny). I always found it quite peculiar, because Drew rarely, in the beginning, showed May his sweeter side, so why she would go up to him, only to be criticized, is really kinda pathetic...<3<3<3
    I just re-watched that one recently, and I love the way Drew's very quick to make an excuse and leave at the end. Its like he's embarrassed that shes seen that sweet side to him

The dub of this episode is pretty painful to watch though. DX I really implore anyone who hasn't seen it or still has fond memories of it rewatch it Raw or Subbed, because Brianna's "Mr.Drew" crap was the dumbest thing ever. DX
    "Mr Rose". I think the look on my face must have matched Drew's when she called him that XD I've never seen the original of this ep though, so might have a look around
    Gamer, film fanatic, wannabe animator, concept artist and 3D environment artist, and general nerd

All contestshippers must go here. And if your not a contestshipper go here anyway.

Oh god that episode was SO AWKWARD TO WATCH BECAUSE OF PUSA AND THE WHOLE "MR. DREW" BIT. However; in my opinion, that episode was the major grail and major concrete evidence we were all looking for. It seemed Drew was more apparent, but having another love interest; albiet one-sided, really made May think--like you all said. Also, Jessie was also great in that episode.

Man, feels like forever since we had AG and Contestshipping, its nice to see the fandom still going strong after all these years. They did have a lot of hints though, understandable.
    A close family member of mine died today, I put this in my sign as respect for him

Ash fan. Luffy fan. Gintoki fan-Gintama. Endou fan-Inazuma Eleven.
    Multi Luffy {One Piece} and Ash {Pokemon} Shippers.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDragonfangirl View Post
    Man, feels like forever since we had AG and Contestshipping, its nice to see the fandom still going strong after all these years. They did have a lot of hints though, understandable.

Yeah, it is! It seems like it comes and goes in waves, but we're still strong! Contestshipping was one of the most canon Pokemon ships, I believe. I remember the day Cybercubed even deemd it canon.

Quote Originally Posted by lara lynx
    But I think she knew the roses were never meant for beautifly, but I'm still not sure if she saw them as romantic in the beginning. I think she saw them more as symbols of respect, or something like that maybe? I say this because, whenever he gave her one, she never got embarrassed about it, she just took them cheerfully. Then Harley comes along and points out how romantic it is, and all of a sudden she gets all flushed XD
    Hmmm, but when Drew gives her the first rose, she does actually blush for a second. I think that means she was assuming something about it, and like the rest of us, knows what a red rose symbolizes.
    I think the reason May never got embarassed over it, before Harley, was for two reasons:
    1 - they were usually in private or in front of Ash & co which never ever said anything about them...at least, not until Kanto.
    2 - she was too busy getting upset/angry because Drew was simultaneously being a jerk.

We could also both be right - as I listed before, May's feelings are really inconsistent for a good chunk of their interactions. ^_^;

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany
    Oh god that episode was SO AWKWARD TO WATCH BECAUSE OF PUSA AND THE WHOLE "MR. DREW" BIT. However; in my opinion, that episode was the major grail and major concrete evidence we were all looking for. It seemed Drew was more apparent, but having another love interest; albiet one-sided, really made May think--like you all said. Also, Jessie was also great in that episode.
    Brianna's episode was surely an episode worth noting...I felt like Brianna's whole presence was meant to be a catalyst to CS and that's all. Oh, and being a COTD coordinator for May to beat. XD Thinking back, I'm going to say that May had already been fumbling over this idea for a bit (I really can't get over how she stares after Drew at the end of the Hoenn GF) but Brianna's persistence made her make up her mind.

And to be slightly off-topic - I frickin' love TR during these contest episodes. They are just so hilarious, I found myself LOLing whenever they were on screen...and then when they teamed up with Harley...holy crap, what a good time! <3
    Last edited by Encyclopika; 6th April 2013 at 6:19 AM.

Encyclopika:
    Made the banner
    Is a GIRL. >.>;;
    Is on Fanfiction.net.

Quote Originally Posted by I am Lu View Post
    High school AUs dominate the Pokemon fandom and tend to be downright awful, so I understand the frustration. You have to comb through Fanfiction.net if you want to find decent Contestshipping material, but it exists.
    Mainly in most fandoms really. Not just the pokemon fandom themselves. Like Kingdom Hearts, nearly every noobies first fic is based on high school.

And I'm trying to write a CS oneshot. It is so hard to write it when you have been writing advance for the last five years. xD

I have a topic for you guys!

At what point did you actually start shipping May and Drew? Was it at first meeting, or afterwards? When did you feel that they were canon?

At what point did you actually start shipping May and Drew? Was it at first meeting, or afterwards? When did you feel that they were canon?

I started to ship them late in BF. Their friendship just started to grow on me. Of course, there was the rivalry as well, i think it was that bond that made me love them both.

Hey guys, I've been procrastinating again

Found this author who has some pretty good contestshipping fics, compared to a lot of the stuff I've read recently. Some of their stuff has been around for a while, so I apologise if you've already seen it, but I thought I'd share it in case anyone hadn't

That author is amazing! I really love the Cadence of their Fear (? I think that's what it's called?) trilogy. Such an amazing storyline! Fic recs are always needed and wanted!

Let's liven this place up, shall we?

I think I started to to really ship it between the Slateport contest and Fallarbor Contest, because I distinctly remember flipping out over the end of Fallarbor (Drew's "Yeah, something like that" rose), so yeah. I felt they were canon around the time the Wakana episode aired, but was only 100% when Unbeatable Lightness of Seeing aired and then May left for Johto as Drew suggested. I think that gave me the confidence to say out loud what I had been thinking all along - this is actually a legitimate Pokemon pairing!
    Last edited by Encyclopika; 19th May 2013 at 12:48 AM.

Encyclopika:
    Made the banner
    Is a GIRL. >.>;;
    Is on Fanfiction.net.

I believe it was their first meeting that made me wanna watch AG all over again..and afterwards I started to ship then. Their rivalry is one of the my most awaited scenes for Contestshipping and my eyes can't stop watching when they starting their battle in a contest.
    If I have any worth, it is to live my LIFE for GOD

|| Multishipper || Bias:鹿晗 || hwaiting! || Inactive||

I shipped them the moment Drew gave May a rose for the first time (i completely forgot which episode that was. ~.~) That rose really opened me to ContestShipping... I mean, why would you give someone a gift if you didn't like them? Besides, roses symbolize love. <3

tumblr
    - i've claimed zelos wilder, xerneas, and tales of the abyss
    Omega Ruby team:

Do you guys think May and Drew are together by now?

I started shipping it towards the end of the series, they'd keep giving more and more ovbious hints, with Pokemon they have a hard time adding romance so :P
    A close family member of mine died today, I put this in my sign as respect for him

Ash fan. Luffy fan. Gintoki fan-Gintama. Endou fan-Inazuma Eleven.
    Multi Luffy {One Piece} and Ash {Pokemon} Shippers.

I started shipping it towards the end of the series, they'd keep giving more and more ovbious hints, with Pokemon they have a hard time adding romance so :P
    Well May didn't mention Drew that much in the Wallace Cup arc. So I can't really say their together right now.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDragonfangirl
    I doubt they'd be "together" yet, and actually I kinda like the idea of them carrying on their flirtationship until they mature a bit more. But, with some pressure from Harley and Solidad, I imagine something would've happened by now - maybe a first kiss or something like that

I don't think I would want them to be together for a while, to be honest. Their interactions are too adorable and hilarious to watch.

Hey guys - before I go on with my post, I just wanna remind you guys that the Popular Ships Survey will be ending soon, and CS could use some more data (and some of you haven't answered my questions!). Please do so at your earliest convenience!here.

Anyway:

No, I don't think so, but they might be close. I think it will still be some time before they get to that point. It seemed really close at the end of the Lightness episode. Like, I don't know if anyone else got this feeling, but it felt like, to me, that May and Drew had finally become habituated to the idea that their relationship has come a long way, and that it might blossom into something more later on. Like, I think that's the calmest we had ever seen them through the entire series. They were actually really comfortable with each other at the end, and even opted to "hang out" alone in a secluded area. There was no teasing, or flabbergasted blushing, embarrassment, or anything like that while they were talking to each other (Harley ruined it, but whatever). I think that there's a good chance, that, if this were anything other than Pokemon, May and Drew would be an item next time we saw Ash get into contact with May. I really wouldn't be surprised (I'd be quite delighted).

Most people seem to be answering the question of "Would you want May and Drew together now in the series?" and I'd say yes, and it's not because I'm a ridiculous shipper. I think they're ready, I think the end of Lightness really supports that notion. Either that, or the flirting has gone up a few notches. :P

Encyclopika:
    Made the banner
    Is a GIRL. >.>;;
    Is on Fanfiction.net.

NOPE DON'T WANT THIS THREAD CLOSED

So.. during my massive rewatching (admittingly, I'm still doing it) I've noticed something in the Wynaut episode. I really, REALLY love the use of continued use of Beautifly and Masquerain in this episode. In my crazy and over analytical brain, I feel like this is somewhat relevant and important. We all know that Beautifly and Masquerain are compatible, and this whole episode basically reinstates and confirms the fact that May and Drew work (cough and go well) together. Maybe this was done on purpose... We'll never know.
    I just thought that was a nice touch, and GOD I FREAKING LOVE THIS COUPLE.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany
    So.. during my massive rewatching (admittingly, I'm still doing it) I've noticed something in the Wynaut episode. I really, REALLY love the use of continued use of Beautifly and Masquerain in this episode. In my crazy and over analytical brain, I feel like this is somewhat relevant and important. We all know that Beautifly and Masquerain are compatible, and this whole episode basically reinstates and confirms the fact that May and Drew work (cough and go well) together. Maybe this was done on purpose... We'll never know.
    I just thought that was a nice touch, and GOD I FREAKING LOVE THIS COUPLE.
    I loved the use of masquerain and beautifly together, and I think it was a real turning point with them realising that they could work well together despite being quite different. Like in the arcanine ep when they used squirtle's watergun and flygon's flamethrower. Its the whole opposites attract thing :P

Quote Originally Posted by lara lynx View Post
    I loved the use of masquerain and beautifly together, and I think it was a real turning point with them realising that they could work well together despite being quite different. Like in the arcanine ep when they used squirtle's watergun and flygon's flamethrower. Its the whole opposites attract thing :P
    The whole fire/water thing is awesome, the two attacks looked amazing together!

gosh these two I want to just lay in bed all day and cry about contestshipping and how canon they are UGH

Here's a new topic!
    Write a short drabble on whatever you wish!
    This one seems fun! I don't think it's really a topic, but it could work. ;D
    I'm gonna work on one and then edit this later with it.
    Last edited by Tiffany; 16th June 2013 at 6:53 PM.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast