Thread: One shots

Default One shots

As a person who finds it incredibly difficult to progress with chapterfics, a one-shot is perfect for me - except I find nothing to write about, no real inspiration strikes. Just this hollow thought: "Hey, let's write a one-shot!"

So where do you get inspiration from if you write a one-shot? Hit me up.
    Shoot Confirmed.

the Writers of Justice + the Fanfiction Mafia

banner and userbar by the fantastic Brutaka / gif by a friend

PokeCommunity . Writers of Justice . FanFiction.Net

To be frank, nowhere in particular for me. Ideas that I have implemented into oneshots (never mind ones I haven't) have basically come from quiet thinking of another barely related subject. Although I suppose that is the case with most stories for me anyway.

If you need something to write about, well, try reading a bunch of stories, listening to music, play some pokemon (that can be sometimes the source of ideas for people) or even just play around with some 'what if?' cases and see if a story idea comes from that. What may work for you may differ from other people though, so that's just a general sort of set of ideas there for inspiration.

A parody of the Pokemon Colosseum game, full of pastries and Miror B.
    Completed. Four times winner of Best Comedy/Funniest Fic.

The BBS Forums! Join in!
    Gain achievements for activity on forums & the games!

Tied to this Pokemon Magazine! Looking for contributors - check it out!
    Why should you? Well, Wynaut?
    Current article: Dude, where's my Game Corner? Learn why you can't gamble in ORAS. =(
    Avatar by minty-fivestar on DA, with edited background/cropping. Fic banner by cieux.

I get ideas from wherever, really. It's the same for chaptered-story ideas, only I just know that it'll only be a one-shot. Though of course, I tend to have issues with finishing stories no matter what the length, so it just depends on my motivation, and current obsession if my fingers and brain would cooperate. I have way too many unfinished one-shots than I do unfinished chaptered-stories. It's sad, really.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

Oneshots, for me, are basically short stories. They can be mini-scenarios that can't be expressed with a full-on chaptered story because the problem is too big or can be solved too quickly for something. Oneshots can also serve as "backstories" or explanations. They can be reflections of one person's view on something/one, or someone looking for guidance under a teacher-figure...they can still be pretty long if you want them to be, but as long as you don't require to split it into chapters, then it's a oneshot.

In short, I just have the urge to write a short story, if you will, because it won't be too long that I will be forced to split it into chapters. If you're not sure where the inpirations to write on comes from, try reading other's oneshots, and compare and contrast.

Spoiler:- Some Things: