Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 37

Thread: Emboar Discussion

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sigil Halls - Vesryn Region
    Posts
    122

    Default Emboar Discussion

    Some people say that Emboar sucks and is a walking Bacon, but I disagree because sure Emboar doesn't have disarable speed but it has pretty desent stats. Not only it has wicked Hp it also has a high attack stat, It's hp backs up for it's defense and it also has pretty average Sp.attack. It is a very versatile Pokemon because it's the 'only' fire type pokemon that can learn a water type move which is scald, with it's sp.attack it can take down a Rhyperior or Hippowdon with one clean hit with knowing the scald.

    Created by Inferno Productions

  2. #2

    Default

    Emboar is easily one of the scariest Pokemon to have to face down the barrel of in NU. Even Alomomola, who should in theory be a perfect answer to Emboar with its Water typing and extremely high special bulk, is 2HKOd by a CB Wild Charge. Usually the best time to beat it safely is to play around with resistances and pray that you're not up against a mixed set when predicting a Choice set. Its bulk is also pretty useful for switching in and out of stuff, although this is hindered a bit by the fact that Emboar often runs recoil moves like Flare Blitz and Wild Charge.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    536

    Default

    when emboar is going to get reckless expect to se him a bit more in NU he is quite good specially scarfer I wonder if he is going to get to RU with reckless in OU he is not viable terrakion and infernape are fasterand have better movepools..
    I remmeber back then in 2010 when unique pokemon disscussion threads were running an emboar thread reached a page 5 with a disscussion of an user "emboar rocks" that strongly claimed he was "teh best" then most of the forum just proved him wrong.. he isn't really good in OU.. NU is his home.

    So what if emboar can use scald it is not going to 0HKO hippowdon (hippowdon have a massive HP stat) and super power already 2 or 0HKOes rhyperior.


    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Oak
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Shortcut to damage calculator

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Up someone's a**crack
    Posts
    314

    Default

    Emboar can't really venture out anywhere else instead of NU. It has a slight niche as a wallbreaker and a Sceptile resist in RU. I've been toying around with sets, and this set pops up as a pretty useful set in the metagame right now.

    Emboar@Leftovers
    Adamant/Blaze
    252 HP/252 Att/4 SpDef
    -Substitute
    -Flare Blitz
    -Wild Charge
    -Superpower

    It uses Emboar's decent survivability to create a buffer against the tiers offensive threats and and a status blocker against the tier's defensive threats.
    Join the Tutor Program. Started by JRCxyz & Salavoir

    [In Clan Memoriam]
    RIP Battling Academy, even though I just joined.
    Memories are eternal.

    RIP Toothpaste Clan. You kept my teeth clean.
    Dental hygiene is eternal.

    RIP Survival Island. Global warming drowned us all.
    Survival isn't eternal

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,990

    Default

    EMBOAR IS SLOW! THEREFORE USELESS! STOP TRYING TO MAKE HIS EXSISTANCE SEEM EVEN REMOTELY JUSTIFIABLE YOU TARD!

    ...

    ...Yes, that was a joke. That's basically all I've heard about Emboar here in Serebii is that it's slow, therefore useless. Honestly, I really like it's great power and diverse movepool. It's actually pretty good in-game. Plus, it could probably be of more use in a doubles battle where Trick Room is more common than in a single battle.


    I must say, I am 110% against this action, I mean, quoting Wikipedia, '' A world of free knowledge will be lost ''. I say screw SOPA and PIPA, and all who agrees with me, sig this! We all detest the bill and will fight for the freedom of the Internet!

    This is Bidoof. Many people loathe it with their lives. If you are of the few people who love this little beaver, put this in your sig. Started by Warrior Scolipede

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Ingame=/= Competitive. And there is better pokemon to abuse under trickroom than Emboar. Stuff like Curse Ferrothorn, Marowak, Reuni, etc. Emboar will shine more in whatever tier it is when reckless is released.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,990

    Default

    I'd still rather use Emboar over those Pokemon, earnestly. I just think it's dumb that some people refuse to look beyond it's slow speed.


    I must say, I am 110% against this action, I mean, quoting Wikipedia, '' A world of free knowledge will be lost ''. I say screw SOPA and PIPA, and all who agrees with me, sig this! We all detest the bill and will fight for the freedom of the Internet!

    This is Bidoof. Many people loathe it with their lives. If you are of the few people who love this little beaver, put this in your sig. Started by Warrior Scolipede

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The Old West
    Posts
    1,255

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MugoUrth View Post
    EMBOAR IS SLOW! THEREFORE USELESS! STOP TRYING TO MAKE HIS EXSISTANCE SEEM EVEN REMOTELY JUSTIFIABLE YOU TARD!

    ...

    ...Yes, that was a joke. That's basically all I've heard about Emboar here in Serebii is that it's slow, therefore useless. Honestly, I really like it's great power and diverse movepool. It's actually pretty good in-game. Plus, it could probably be of more use in a doubles battle where Trick Room is more common than in a single battle.
    Sadly, it's a combination of speed and it's low defenses. It's bulk is fine, thanks to it's HP, but not enough bulk to justify it's poor speed, since it's not a complete tank.

    Though, with a choice scarf, it could really sponge a lot of recoil from Flare Blitz thanks to it's high HP, and probably work well on a sun team.

    Trick room also sounds like a decent option, though. Especially with Hammer Arm.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    Goldeen keeps stealing the Magical Karp's splashing glory in Smash.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    196

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MugoUrth View Post
    EMBOAR IS SLOW! THEREFORE USELESS! STOP TRYING TO MAKE HIS EXSISTANCE SEEM EVEN REMOTELY JUSTIFIABLE YOU TARD!

    ...

    ...Yes, that was a joke. That's basically all I've heard about Emboar here in Serebii is that it's slow, therefore useless. Honestly, I really like it's great power and diverse movepool. It's actually pretty good in-game. Plus, it could probably be of more use in a doubles battle where Trick Room is more common than in a single battle.
    In double battle he also sucks... He is countered by every common poke in the metagame.

    Credit to me

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,990

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by drizzleboy12 View Post
    In double battle he also sucks... He is countered by every common poke in the metagame.
    I just dislike how people refuse to see any good in it's battling. There are things it can do, but no one cares cause "It's slow."


    I must say, I am 110% against this action, I mean, quoting Wikipedia, '' A world of free knowledge will be lost ''. I say screw SOPA and PIPA, and all who agrees with me, sig this! We all detest the bill and will fight for the freedom of the Internet!

    This is Bidoof. Many people loathe it with their lives. If you are of the few people who love this little beaver, put this in your sig. Started by Warrior Scolipede

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MugoUrth View Post
    I just dislike how people refuse to see any good in it's battling. There are things it can do, but no one cares cause "It's slow."
    Slow frail and suicidical*
    OH and he can (and should) use scarf.. to attack before being attacked.. he have like.. only recoil moves so..


    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Oak
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Shortcut to damage calculator

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The Old West
    Posts
    1,255

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MugoUrth View Post
    I just dislike how people refuse to see any good in it's battling. There are things it can do, but no one cares cause "It's slow."
    Did Drizzleboy even say anything about its speed stat?

    And Surf and Earthquake(especially earthquake) are extremely common in double battles, so it's really difficult for any fire type to be all that good there.

    If you really want trick room, there is still always rotation battles.
    he have like.. only recoil moves so..
    But a lot of HP to withstand recoil to.

    Technically, anything that has only attack moves and a life orb only has recoil moves if you really think about it.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    Goldeen keeps stealing the Magical Karp's splashing glory in Smash.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    A white Van with no windows...
    Posts
    3,799

    Default

    Well a plus, with Recoil moves, he can get a last ditch Flare Blitz off with Blaze to KO somthing.
    Minncinno used Substitute!Minncinno used Thunderbolt!


    Serebii.net, come for the Pokemon news, stay for the forums.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    259

    Default

    The problem with Emboar is his low speed, it really holds him back. And even though he has high HP, his weak defences make that useless, so he's stuck between going slow and hoping to survive with lots of hp to try max speed but it's still not fast enough.

    Soon I'll have you, after years and years XD

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MugoUrth View Post
    I just dislike how people refuse to see any good in it's battling. There are things it can do, but no one cares cause "It's slow."
    Is it really so hard to understand that Emboar sucks not just because he's slow, but because he is so horribly frail? Its HP and Defenses are not impressive... only about 25% more durable than Honchkrow. This is nullified by the fact that almost all of its moves have some sort of horrible side effect. Flare Blitz, Superpower, head Smash, Wild Charge, etc. Normally this would be passable if it could land its blows and OHKO the opponent without taking a hit like Infernape but when you are frail, slow, and can't even fix it with Shell Smash, Spore, etc it just combines to be a shitty Pokemon.

    Having terrible speed does not make you bad if you can back it up with bulk. But in general if you do not have either speed, or bulk you are useless. Also don't make me laugh, Emboar is godawful in Doubles / Triples. How long do you think it will last in the "Surf / Earthquake" tier when all of its primary moves hits just one Pokemon and it is outrun and OHKOed by basically everything. Saying "Its good in Trick Room" is sort of a BS defense because Trick Room itself is pretty shitty (it is good in doubles / triples, but Emboar isn't). I mean I guess you could run Emboar in doubles with Trick Room support but why not run something like Rhyperior or Chandelure who are actually useful when not under Trick Room.

    tl;dr Emboar sucks not just because of its speed but also because of its terrible bulk and movepool. Infernape is better, Victini is better... even Entei is better. In-game does not equal competitive.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    NARNIA *****ES!
    Posts
    1,963

    Default

    the reason why he is not in OU is his terrible speed. other then that, he is pretty good. reckless + Head Smash OHKOs almost anything not resisting it too
    Black 2 FC: 0047 0978 3613


    Credit to Astral Shadow

    Check out my new RPG and join it:
    http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthr...-Serpent-PG-13

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Wherever.
    Posts
    103

    Default

    He IS viable.. Just not in any tier other than NU.. He has low speed, BUT he also relies mostly on recoil moves, though that will be helped with Reckless.

    Also, he's outclassed. If a lot of faster, stronger, physical attackers didn't exist, Emboar may get some of the limelight, but they do, so yeah.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    536

    Default

    He is not THAT terrible he can be a scarfer or a wall breaker in NU it have good moves flare blitz can beat tangela and amungoos superpower beats lickylicky and that pink thing.. chansey like.. thing and also the steel/rocks in NU he is good against those pokemons and he is a great scarfer if not againts other scarfers. It is really powerful in NU other scarfers can't switch to him but outside of NU (and maybe RU ) he is outclassed.. and not that powerful.


    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Oak
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Shortcut to damage calculator

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Sigil Halls - Vesryn Region
    Posts
    122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    Is it really so hard to understand that Emboar sucks not just because he's slow, but because he is so horribly frail? Its HP and Defenses are not impressive... only about 25% more durable than Honchkrow. This is nullified by the fact that almost all of its moves have some sort of horrible side effect. Flare Blitz, Superpower, head Smash, Wild Charge, etc. Normally this would be passable if it could land its blows and OHKO the opponent without taking a hit like Infernape but when you are frail, slow, and can't even fix it with Shell Smash, Spore, etc it just combines to be a shitty Pokemon.

    Having terrible speed does not make you bad if you can back it up with bulk. But in general if you do not have either speed, or bulk you are useless. Also don't make me laugh, Emboar is godawful in Doubles / Triples. How long do you think it will last in the "Surf / Earthquake" tier when all of its primary moves hits just one Pokemon and it is outrun and OHKOed by basically everything. Saying "Its good in Trick Room" is sort of a BS defense because Trick Room itself is pretty shitty (it is good in doubles / triples, but Emboar isn't). I mean I guess you could run Emboar in doubles with Trick Room support but why not run something like Rhyperior or Chandelure who are actually useful when not under Trick Room.

    tl;dr Emboar sucks not just because of its speed but also because of its terrible bulk and movepool. Infernape is better, Victini is better... even Entei is better. In-game does not equal competitive.
    You sorta make a good point but why is that when my Emboar takes on a Salamence, that's right a Salamence it can take it down with one hit and manage to knock out a Hippowden as well in a row holding just a sitrus berry. If you were to have a battle without super effective moves Emboar can be decent in some way. It's to do with how you use it. GOSH! >

    Created by Inferno Productions

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    259

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lumino Lucario View Post
    You sorta make a good point but why is that when my Emboar takes on a Salamence, that's right a Salamence it can take it down with one hit and manage to knock out a Hippowden as well in a row holding just a sitrus berry. If you were to have a battle without super effective moves Emboar can be decent in some way. It's to do with how you use it. GOSH! >
    You can't quote ONE instance and claim that because of it, Emboar is amazing and awesome and etc. Besides, Im pretty sure outrage from a Salamence would knock out Emboar.

    252Atk Life Orb Salamence (+Atk) Outrage vs 252HP/0Def Emboar (+Def): 87% - 103% (373 - 439 HP).
    Add in entry hazards and Emboar's screwed.

    Soon I'll have you, after years and years XD

  21. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lumino Lucario View Post
    You sorta make a good point but why is that when my Emboar takes on a Salamence, that's right a Salamence it can take it down with one hit and manage to knock out a Hippowden as well in a row holding just a sitrus berry. If you were to have a battle without super effective moves Emboar can be decent in some way. It's to do with how you use it. GOSH! >
    OHKOing Salamence isn't exactly a notable accomplishment; Salamence isn't some super bulky tank. A LO Vanilluxe can OHKO offensive Salamence 3 times over with one Ice Beam, not to mention that most Salamence sets will easily outspeed and OHKO an offensive Emboar anyways. And I'd like to see these Emboar and Hippowdon sets you're talking about. Even a 252+ Emboar's Grass Knot caps out at 86.66% against a physically defensive Hippowdon, and that's pretty much Sitrus Berry Emboar's best shot at OHKOing it. A OHKO is only possible against a Hippowdon that is barely investing in bulk at all, which is a terrible idea, and beating bad players with bad EV spreads proves nothing.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Brooklyn new york
    Posts
    8

    Default emboar great pokemon

    when comes to pokemon how use do can make a pokemon great or be **** like parasect. oh yes i would love to use him on my trick room team
    Hello I own Pokemon white 2 friend code 2666 9991 5159 players name Eve am looking trade here as a breeder and battler

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    A Number from 0 to 100?
    Posts
    382

    Default

    Only reason why people don't like Emboar competitively is because it's naturally compared against Infernape (Which has the Speed to compensate with the Attack & Special Attack) & Blaziken (Which has a wonderful Movepool & the blessed Speed Boost ability). The only thing that Emboar has against these 2 is the durability to survive longer due to it's HP & a 3 Point higher attack stat than Blaziken... Don't get me wrong, I've personally grown to love Emboar but facts are facts.
    Pokemon X: 1435 - 4013 - 1487 (,,)

    I am searching for the following Pokemon
    (Modest), (Modest), (Hasty/Naive), (Timid/Jolly/Hasty/Naive), (Timid/Modest), (Jolly/Adamant)

    I can provide you with the following Pokemon…
    (Timid), (Jolly), (Timid), (Rash), (Bold), (Careful), (Relaxed with Seismic Toss).

    I’m also offering a legit Shiny Foongus. Looking for a good natured shiny in return!

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    782

    Default

    Emboar sucks because of its type, stats and moves it was given in the meantime.

    Emboar will always be comparated with Blaziken and Infernape because they share the same type and are starters. However, Emboar is the most different of them. While Blaziken and Infernape are offensive and fast, Emboar is offensive, but slow. Neither raising Emboar's HP is enough to make up for its Speed. Therefore, Emboar sucks because it cannot cover its weakness and its speed in the meantime. You can take advantage of its high HP and use some recoil moves, but few of them are really recommended in competitive battle. Because of Emboar's Speed, in most of the ocasions it'll be able to attack only once, because in the second turn it'll be fainted. Then, Emboar is suggested to hold Quick Claw, or have a partner with Trick Room in double/triple battles. One thing that I applaud on Emboar is its compatibility with Scald, which can be a lot useful against ground and rock foes.

    GF could alter Emboar's type and stats, but I don't think they'll do that.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The Old West
    Posts
    1,255

    Default

    Then, Emboar is suggested to hold Quick Claw
    Don't you mean choice scarf? This item has less then a 20% chance to active, so it's far, far too unreliable.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    Goldeen keeps stealing the Magical Karp's splashing glory in Smash.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •