Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Curtain Up, Unova League (764)

I like how they showed montages of battles in this episode, from both Gym battles and the rival league battles. I also like how instead of the rivals victories being shown, it was just a clip from the battle itself. Really gave it a sense that they were all battling at the same time.

I was underwhelmed by the beginning of Ash vs Trip, however..
    OR Playthrough - Route 118

This won't change often.. I play through the games slowly..

How was the big battle?

Quote Originally Posted by Street Comedy View Post
    How was the big battle?
    If you mean Ash VS Trip ... there was no big battle. Just the beginning of a battle which could turn out big.

Ash vs Trip while a good 1 on 1 battle would have been better as a full battle. Even though he didn't have as much build up as Gary or Paul he did have more build up then all of Ash's league opponents that got full battles. The rivals were the definite highlight of this episode.

So finally getting to see this episodes with subs, I was happy they gave at least a very throwaway explanation as for why Bianca has eight badges when the last time we saw her in a gym battle she got destroyed. Still, I would've like to see a flashback of her going back to beat Elesa in a rematch for her last badge. Also, I like that Cameron foreshadowed his Hydreigon as a secret weapon.

The dialogue does make this episode a little bit better, imo.
    Defeated Super Single Subway Master Ingo - August 19th, 2013

Searching for: Litwick - Near Perfect IVs, Manetric (Shiny) - Good IVs, Switcheroo
    Can offer high IV'd Bagons, Digletts, and Darumakas, as well as DWs, Pokerus, and more, PM me if interesting in negotiating.

Quote Originally Posted by RVD_fan View Post
    The dialogue does make this episode a little bit better, imo.
    It really does. I enjoyed the interaction.

Quote Originally Posted by _Taidow_ View Post
    It really does. I enjoyed the interaction.
    Me too. It was good seeing Bianca explain why she missed the Junior Cup. It was also good to see that Trip and Ash actually wanted to battle each other. The newer Trip is better to me then the old Trip.

Quote Originally Posted by J Ken View Post
    Me too. It was good seeing Bianca explain why she missed the Junior Cup. It was also good to see that Trip and Ash actually wanted to battle each other. The newer Trip is better to me then the old Trip.
    Why did she miss it?

WOOT WOOT RANK UP

Quote Originally Posted by pokemonsquared View Post
    Why did she miss it?
    Not really... well kinda... she said that she thought she wasn't going to make it to the league so she did some extra training and got her 8 badges.

I was very sad to see the complete and utter lack of star presence at the league. No opening ceremonies conducted by Mr. Goodshow, no running of the torch? No Don George? No Alden?

It didn't feel like that big a deal.

Cameron and the tent/late registration was a fun, completely in-character bit.

The gym flashback just rubbed in how absolutely neglected Snivy has been this generation.
    I am not worried, Harry. I am with you.

^This is my new fanfic. It's a work in progress, so please read and comment at your discretion. I hope you like it. I think you will.

Many, many thanks to Mew, who created this exceptional banner!

Harry Potter and How I Met Your Mother are currently my life.

I wished that Trip and ash had battled longer with more pokemon in this episode that way more interaction between them could have happened. This is the only battle besides Stephan's that I liked in this league.

My ideal battle ever!

Quote Originally Posted by Caseydia View Post
    I wished that Trip and ash had battled longer with more pokemon in this episode that way more interaction between them could have happened. This is the only battle besides Stephan's that I liked in this league.
    Yeah I agree with you. This was the kind of battle that most people wanted from Ash and Trip, it's just a shame that it wasn't a full battle.

(credit goes to Skiyomi)

Quote Originally Posted by Caseydia View Post
    I know what you mean. It was more interesting to see a calmer and not arrogant Trip going against Ash in a full battle then wasting the chance with a 1 on 1 battle. It was unique and the battle was good but it feels like they could have executed it better.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulba the Great! View Post
    I was very sad to see the complete and utter lack of star presence at the league. No opening ceremonies conducted by Mr. Goodshow, no running of the torch? No Don George? No Alden?

It didn't feel like that big a deal.
    I couldn't agree more, this is the problem with the Unova League. Aside from the flashbacks of Gym 1 - 8, and the ending ceremony (which i won't spoil), this just felt like another Club Battle/Clubsplosion/Juniour Cup. Nothing gave it the feel of being any more special than the other tournaments, and ultimately was a shame, since this tournament inparticular is the entire reason Ash stayed in Unova and travelled around for the past 2 years.

The fact it was only 6 episodes (one being a filler) opposed to the standard 8 didn't help things.

Cameron and the tent/late registration was a fun, completely in-character bit.
    Shame they pushed the line with his character after this.

The gym flashback just rubbed in how absolutely neglected Snivy has been this generation.
    I agree, Snivy should have been the star of Gym 3. Pikachu still had Gyms 4 and 8 for glory.

Quote Originally Posted by Haunter227 View Post
    I couldn't agree more, this is the problem with the Unova League. Aside from the flashbacks of Gym 1 - 8, and the ending ceremony (which i won't spoil), this just felt like another Club Battle/Clubsplosion/Juniour Cup. Nothing gave it the feel of being any more special than the other tournaments, and ultimately was a shame, since this tournament inparticular is the entire reason Ash stayed in Unova and travelled around for the past 2 years.
    It also doesn't help that the Junior Cup had 2 Champions and an Elite 4 member.

The fact it was only 6 episodes (one being a filler) opposed to the standard 8 didn't help things.
    True it as good that there were more interactions but was it really necessary to eliminate 2 rivals in the first two rounds and skip over the other two rounds?

Shame they pushed the line with his character after this.
    They did overuse his clumsiness and at the worst possible time.

I agree, Snivy should have been the star of Gym 3. Pikachu still had Gyms 4 and 8 for glory.
    Not really Leavanny has a 1/4th resistance to Snivy's moves. I think that she should have been used against Lenora and starred there instead.

Rewatching through the entire League to try and find a brighter light on it.

Great introduction episode really, it's the rest of the arc that spoils it.

Trip actually seemed likable lol

Man, after 2 years, we finally made it to the Unova league. A lot faster it came than the Sinnoh League. Glad to see the good ol rivals again. Plus Cameron and Virgil.

Happy to see Bianca push Ash into a fountain again. OMG, the gang is pronouncing Stephan's name right! To be honest, I thought Ash said it wrong at first lol. Virgil enters via jet; nice nice. Trip shows up, cools, and he's not being a jerk.

Cameron's Camping out. Meh. I still can't get over how dumb he is. He thought he had to just show up, and thought "Register" was a new Pokemon. Does he not know anything? And when Registration closes, he's late. I would have liked that, but it would truthfully be a let down. Plus, he has a "Secret Weapon". Oooo. I wonder what that may be.

Ash can't sleep; figures. So he reminices about all 8 of his Gym Battles; it may have felt underdeveloped, but it was nice to see all the leaders one by one. Good ol Sean Schemmel as Clay and spunky Roxie.

Freddie O'Martin makes an epic entrance by jumping out of a helicopter and parachuting down to the stadium.

1 on 1 matches? Ugh. Kill me already. And, Ash VS Trip?! Mind me, I knew this from a long shot, but it's just ridiculous. Not to mention he sends out Serperior (love Jason Griffith's voice though).

Very cool to see Stephan, Bianca, Virgil and Cameron battle their opponents in the Qualifying round, too. Looks like they're all doing good except for Ash and Cameron.

I'm looking forward to next week already!

~I just wanna feel that rhythm~
    Twitter @TrainerTrevino

the episode was ok not bad but not one of my favorites it needs work 7/10

I liked this episode but i agree that it's needs some work..

I always love the scene's where ash thinks about all the gym leaders he has beaten before the league starts.
    [IMG]http://i49.*******.com/351ipzt.png[/IMG]

Nope, Iris. Trip didn't catch any new Pokemon. He's forever stuck with Serperior, Vanillish, and Conkeldurr.

What a letdown. We know it'll be pretty anti-climatic if Ash loses here, but I think it's even more anti-climatic to end their barely-developed rivalry right at the start.

Yeah, I like how they got Stephan's name right. I still was thinking that old bianca crash into ash thing would switch.

BTW, I hope Sylveon appears. For a reference of generation 6.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Goomba Bulbs Jr. View Post
    Yeah, I like how they got Stephan's name right. I still was thinking that old bianca crash into ash thing would switch.

BTW, I hope Sylveon appears. For a reference of generation 6.
    It doesn't, sylveon or gen 6 for that matter weren't even known yet when this first aired in japan.

For this episode, the only good thing was The cameron goof.
    My first shiny ever caught!

Named Admiral Sentret

Ash vs Trip in Round 1? I don't think that this is the best method to handle Trip but I don't mind it. Also, this episode was good at setting up the League and the form of cliffhanger was really interesting (although there were better ones, off course).

I expect that you liked too much this episode and expect that the next will be very good

Spoiler:- General plotline of the League:

And Virgil won't use Sylveon because the last episode aired in Japan the past 10th January.

You can quoted the spoilers tag with spoilers tags.
    Last edited by Eievui-Nymphia; 9th March 2013 at 7:42 PM.

Ok call me crazy but I swear I saw pictures of Seripsiror binding Pika to the point of him choking Pika at the part where it says to be continued. Was that to extreme for the USA and edited? Or was it another scene?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast