View Poll Results: How many abilities should a Pokemon have at the same time?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • More than one.

6 24.00%
  • Just one.

19 76.00%

Thread: Abilities: 1 or 2?

Default Abilities: 1 or 2?

I think Pokemon need two abilities and here's an example why:

When Shelgon evolves into Salamence, it loses it's Rock Head ability and is replaced by Intimidate.

...So?

Do you mean multiple potential Abilities (which many already have), or all potential Abilities at once (which would break the game in half)?

Quote Originally Posted by R_N View Post
    i am this close to editing excitable boy's signature to ITS A JOKE for the next 5 months
    Quote Originally Posted by R_N View Post
    I should make this the signature of both sogeking & excitable boy

Two abilities worked in the PMD games fine, but it wouldn't work at all in the main games.

That example is gives no justification for letting Pokemon wield two abilities at once.

(Also, Salamence with Intimidate is better than Rock Head).

There's so much wrong with this idea. First of all, several Pokemon would be completely broken, for instance, Bronzong would have no weaknesses due to having Heatproof and Levitate. Second, how would you handle DW abilities, since that gives many Pokemon a third ability. Do you give them all three or replace one? And if the latter, which one do you replace? It's best to leave abilities as is.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

1 Person mashed the buttons too hard and accidentally clicked number 1.

I hit ' More than one' thinking you meant having an option. Too late to take it back, but no, you shouldn't be able to have two abilities at the same time.

am i the only one who voted for more than one ? maybe the second ability should like a TM where you can teach a pokemon an ability. But, on second thought, this will screw up the mechanics especially with dw abilities already present.

For the sake of keeping the game balanced, only one. Some pokemon are powerful enough with one ability. Imagine a Gyrados or Salamence with both Intimidate and Moxie. Or a Sigilyph with Wonder Skin and Magic Guard. Both of these examples are rather broken pokemon. Besides, having only one ability on a pokemon that potentially could have two adds another aspect of strategy to the games, like only being able to have four moves.
    3DS FC: 0748-3041-6462

Fictionpress / Buy My Book! / Hero's Path

More than one ability works in PMD system, but I was going to alter harshly the balance in RPG games.

Consider that when Shelgon evolves into Salamence it loses the hardness of its head and obtain a new ability based on its new form.