Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do so many people dislike D/P/Pt?

Quote Originally Posted by Champion Cynthia108 View Post
    It's just how slow it i for me. Saving takes ages, plus the story starts off kind of slow
    I agree completely. And also for me this is where the Pokemon games started their downfall. I loved gen 1-3 like crazy, but gen 4 was merely "okay" with gen5 being pretty mediocre to me.
    Game: Soul Silver
    Name: Agent X
    FC: 3955-1298-0022

Fire Red Team (0 badges):

Emerald Team (3 badges):

Soul Silver Team (16 badges):

Quote Originally Posted by Nephilim View Post
    I agree completely. And also for me this is where the Pokemon games started their downfall. I loved gen 1-3 like crazy, but gen 4 was merely "okay" with gen5 being pretty mediocre to me.
    This is entirely subjective. What about Gen 4 did you find "okay" and what about Gen 5 was "mediocre"?
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

The slowness was a huge issue for me, as others have said. The whole game seems to drag on and on, even during the fast moments. That and poor pokemon distribution. Im looking at you fire types. That said, I dont hate d/p/pt, i just get annoyed by it.

Soon I'll have you, after years and years XD

Gen 4 is good, but not as good as Gens 1 and 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlo View Post
    I didn't even realize that so many people hated DPPT until I started hanging around here again. I was here when I was playing through RSE (which was actually while the 4th gen was out - late to the party), but by the time I got a DS and started playing through the 4th gen, I wasn't spending much time here, so I didn't see the feedback. I've only started posting here again recently, while playing White (still late to the party), and so only discovered recently that people hate DPPT.

I quite liked them myself. I expected some issues, since they were the first games after the physical/special split. The dex is a bit limited and skewed, but it's playable enough, and the region is great. And Dawn is awesome. I liked most of the new pokemon, and some of them are among my all time favorites. And Dawn is awesome. Yeah - the combat is a bit slow, particularly waiting for the weather condition to display, then for the game to tell you what the weather condition that's displaying is, and some of the caves in particular are a bit too long and tortuous, but they're still pretty good games. And Dawn is awesome. To their credit, the starters are among the best ever - they all have solid multi-type evolutions and they each fill a particular niche well, so they make for quite a bit of variety and they're actually mostly viable late in the game, which is something that can't be said about many of the starters from other gens. And Dawn is awesome.

I dunno... As with so many such things, I presume that much of the hate for DPPt springs from the same source as much internet hate in general - people just desperately trying to compensate for their own insecurities and maybe manage to fit in with a peer group by hating the same things the peer group hates, whether that's DPPT or Naruto or Call of Duty or Republicans or...

And Dawn is awesome.
    You know, I couldn't love this post anymore then I honestly could. Its just that awesome. I'd like it a hundred times if I could...XD

As for the hate, I'd say its slow. Thats the main gist of it.
    And comparative to gen 5, theres nothing that really blasted as NEW, since From what I remember gen 4 was supposed to feel like it encompassed all of the regions. (I thought they did a pretty good job...especially in Platinum.) And quite a bit of pokemon were evolutions of older pokemon, kind of not screaming "Originality" I guess. It felt like it wasn't new, what with the lack of fast paseidness, and many of the pokemon evolving from older ones. (I freaken say they needed them. >:O...)

Gen 4 made competitive battling possible without simulators D:...

And of course, Dawn is possibly the most awesome female ever to be made/thought of/that has lived on this planet. . /killed.

When refering to learning..."In other words, groups are not where ideas are born. Groups are where ideas are evaluated."
    My eyes! (my eyes!) are filled with curiosity! You think! (You think!) that you have power over me! In this life! (This life!) There’s no room for you and me! So turn around and face the day with me!
    Such a sexy song. Urgh.

Quote Originally Posted by EmphaticPikachu View Post
    And comparative to gen 5, theres nothing that really blasted as NEW, since From what I remember gen 4 was supposed to feel like it encompassed all of the regions. (I thought they did a pretty good job...especially in Platinum.) And quite a bit of pokemon were evolutions of older pokemon, kind of not screaming "Originality" I guess. It felt like it wasn't new, what with the lack of fast paseidness, and many of the pokemon evolving from older ones. (I freaken say they needed them. >:O...)
    I'd chalk that up to the way Game Freak seems to be pacing each generation. It seems like they've fallen into a pattern of alternating between what I'm calling "reboot generations" and "expansion pack generations". All of the odd numbered generations have been "reboot generations", where they emphasize new features and new Pokemon. Unfortunately, they also ignore some old ones, several important features in the games get completely removed, and there tend to be very few if any new evolutions. Even numbered generations are "expansion pack generations", which emphasizes improving old features. The gameplay is kept mainly the same (although they do put forth a few new ideas, but not as much as reboot generations), and the focus is mainly on improving what we already have. This is especially true in regards to the new Pokemon, which have fewer unique species but a ton of new evolutions.

So yeah, Gen 4 is an expansion pack generation, there's some new stuff there, but it's mainly improving on old stuff. If you keep that in mind, it's easier to appreciate what changes it's brought to the series. The physical/special split was a much needed improvement to the series, many weaker Pokemon got new evolutions that needed. Not much changes to the battling formula, but Wi Fi made Pokemon a truly worldwide game by adding the GTS and Wi Fi battles.

That being said, though, I really am getting tired of the way the generations are being handled and would like to see an end to this pattern, it's bad for the series' development
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

I am not sure why people disliked DPPt. I actually like them better than gen 3 because it wasn't mostly water and they had tried to put in icy areas for ice types which is good. The only thing i really disliked about gen 4 was the lack of fire types in Diamon and Pearl. Yes alright Infernape is great but i would've liked some This is what let gen 4 down for me. The addition of not enough new fire types. Having said that it was supposed to be a "cooler" region but it didn't exactly add many more ice types either.

However so many good things like the pokeradar, Mamoswine, Magmortar, Togekiss, underground etc outweigh those issues in favour. And the fact they tried new dual typings that hadn't been done before was good too.
    Shinies are good.

I don't hate it. It's my least favorite, but to me, being my least favorite Pokemon generation is like being my least favorite dollar bill; it's still a really, really good game.

It's my least favorite because the Sinnoh region itself kind of bored me, and I didn't particularly like the Pokemon designs. A lot of them were either boring, or just plain weird. The Sinnoh region just lacked anything to make it very interesting in my eyes. Team Galactic was kind of a joke too. Half the time, they were nothing more than a nuisance and their goal was too over the top.

Once again, loved the games. It's just that out of the five generations, I feel this was indeed the weakest.
    even if we don't understand each other, that's not a reason to reject each other. There are two sides to any argument. Is there one point of view that has all the answers? Give it some thought.
    ^ Why Alder is my favorite champion.

Didn't know people hated it. All I know is that it was better than RSE; worst generation imo.

As somone else said, slow.

Not much variety in pokemon for story line teams.

Starters weren't too exciting. (Except for Piplup my favorite pokemon : P)
    I mean, compare them to Squirtle, Charmander, & Bulbasaur.

The towns / cities / etc. were extremely plain.

But I think it was the first DS game for pokemon? So you can't complain too much. Also people are complaining now because they've seen how much the game has grown and the expectations get higher. So people look back at this game and think it sucked. Which is true, go back and play D/P/PT right now. Tedious.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrufox86 View Post
    I am not sure why people disliked DPPt. I actually like them better than gen 3 because it wasn't mostly water and they had tried to put in icy areas for ice types which is good. The only thing i really disliked about gen 4 was the lack of fire types in Diamon and Pearl. Yes alright Infernape is great but i would've liked some This is what let gen 4 down for me. The addition of not enough new fire types. Having said that it was supposed to be a "cooler" region but it didn't exactly add many more ice types either.

However so many good things like the pokeradar, Mamoswine, Magmortar, Togekiss, underground etc outweigh those issues in favour. And the fact they tried new dual typings that hadn't been done before was good too.
    I agree. In my opinon Platinum with an improvement of an already awesome gen of games. Guess people just have different perspectives on Sinnoh.

Thanks to Astral Shadow for the button!

There seems to be something about threads like these, there always seems to me why so much hate for the last generation before. I think that all generations have their good sides. Knowing you guys in gen 6, people will wonder why there was so much hate for gen 5. When gen 4 was about, people were wondering why so many people hated gen 3. But to be honest I never really noticed any hate in gen 4.

☆ Maya Fey: Ace Pokemon Trainer
    Carry On, BlisseyThe Other King☆
    Advancers Tumblr
    Banner by Sworn Metalhead at Dćdric Design ✠

I've never hated it, infact I LOVED D/P/Pt!! besides Pokemon Gold Version, I have played Pokemon Diamond and Platinum the most, and have repeatedly enjoyed transfering my pokemon, then restarting the story all over! I even got rewarded on my third rest by my Mesprit being SHINY! o.o

"Small but Brave! Keldeo the Hero!!"

3DS FC- 4141-3093-5467

FS- Flying Safari- Hawlucha,Woobat,Spearow

Please add me to your Friend Roster!

Looks like im the only one whos going to tell a good argument about why I hate it.

There are a lot of reasons, idk where to start.

Well, I've grown up with RSE, so I guess that may be a reason why I hate it, just like Gen 1 people hate the other gens. (Well, I like every other gen so I dont think that really matters)

As others have said, this game is slow. The story is boring. Its also very complicated. I had to buy a guide for it, and I didnt have any problem with RSE (maybe thats just me?)

In battles, what changed? I know, the mechanics changed but I mean the battles didnt have anything new. In BW the sprites moves and battles had more vitality. This time the sprites really seem.. uhm... weird? And the battles were slower. I had to turn off the animations because a single battle took ages. And I dont do this to the 3rd gen games. I dont know, maybe its just me again.

The Pokémon... I like a lot of them but I hate ones: The new evolutions. Sorry but I hate how they ****ed cool Pokémon like Magneton. Magneton is one of my favourites Pokémon. Simple. 3 magnets... AND WHY DOES IT EVOLVE TO THAT BIG ROUND THING?
    Well, thats something I dont really want to talk bout because everyone has different opinions. I just dont like half the Pokedex being new evolutions.

Talking about the Pokédex, as others have said the distribution of types was pretty bad, but that has been talked a lot.

Another thing. Battle Frointer sucks. Just play Emerald and you will see what im talking about. The new ones are boring. At least they kept the Tower and the Factory.

I think this is the last one: the music. Its a lot less instrumental. For me some of them are a weird combination of sounds (Im looking at you Giratina). I really like the gym leader battle theme though. But themes like the wild battle were kind of boring.
    HG BADGE QUEST

1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. 9. 10. 11. 12. 13. 14. 15. 16
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    OTHER SHINIES (not counting gifts)

Quote Originally Posted by cuchifru View Post
    In battles, what changed? I know, the mechanics changed but I mean the battles didnt have anything new.
    What more could you possibly have been expecting besides a change in mechanics?

Talking about the Pokédex, as others have said the distribution of types was pretty bad, but that has been talked a lot.
    And as I've said time and time again, THAT'S NOT A PROBLEM WITH PLATINUM, ONLY DP. Platinum's regional dex is everything DP's should've been.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    What more could you possibly have been expecting besides a change in mechanics?
    I am talking about how battles look themselves, they just added the buttons in the touchscreen and thats all.

Im not talking about battle mechanics. Thats something I like, changing physical and special moves.

The metagame is kinda good.
    HG BADGE QUEST

1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. 9. 10. 11. 12. 13. 14. 15. 16
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    OTHER SHINIES (not counting gifts)

I am talking about how battles look themselves, they just added the buttons in the touchscreen and thats all.

Im not talking about battle mechanics. Thats something I like, changing physical and special moves.

The metagame is kinda good.
    They don't need to look drastically different aside from updating the graphics (which they did), that's just nitpicking.

What did people find confusing about Team Galactic's motivation and goals? I thought it was pretty straightforward myself--the ultimate goal was to create a "perfect" universe without fighting or suffering, but through the eradication of not only the present universe, but also all emotions (emotions being why we fight and all). Except only Cyrus and the three/possibly four commanders (it's unclear if Charon knew, but he also didn't care) knew about it.

I know there's some oddity over the last, since Saturn says in the postgame that he didn't know what his boss really wanted, but this is bull for a few reasons. First, he knew about the "eradication of all emotion" part. Second, he's the FIRST ONE TO TELL YOU about the new universe. Ahaha he's a liar.

Anyway, I'll tell ya what I hated about DPPt was the SURFING SPEED WOW THANKS GAME. It shouldn't take a minute to reach Canalave from Jubilife!

I also hated the way the GTS was arranged in Pt and that it's become the standard model. The DP version was so much easier to use.

And with the exception of a few pieces, the music didn't really stand out to me. The bike theme wtf why does it sound like those scenes in old movies whenever there's a news report?

I didn't mind the proliferation of legendaries, which I know is a common complaint. Some areas in the real world have more legends than others, so it makes sense. But I wish Nintendo would have made up their mind about how to get some. Dude, download or store events. PICK ONE. And while you're at it, give us the Azure Flute.
    The world's greatest collector as drawn by Yoru Ryu
    Fancy Jirarudan too? Then you'll enjoy my fic Obsession! (updated June 29th, 2014)
    Or better yet, join my LJ comm Ware Wa Collector!
    Check out some of my other fics!
    Answering Machine (strong XY spoilers--winner of Most Heartbreaking Scene 2013!)

Who complains D/P/Pt is still playing the games, then I think that it is the bad habit of complaining about everything.

D/P/Pt were excellent games and they introduced some new stuff in the Pokemon world.

And Platinum fixed most of the things that people complained about D/P.

Believe it or not, The 4th Generation was the Generation that really got me into Pokémon as an early Teenager. As a matter of fact, That's what encouraged me to use this Forum. Now that Platinum was released: I see what the problem with Diamond & Pearl was... The meditite & medicham was used too often by the gym leaders & elite 4 & the speeds were pretty horrendous in comparison to what emerald gave us. But I really see no reason to hate them (Aside Tangrowth, Still haven't gotten used to that hideous wretch!)
    Pokemon X: 1435 - 4013 - 1487 (,,)

I am searching for the following Pokemon
    (Modest), (Modest), (Hasty/Naive), (Timid/Jolly/Hasty/Naive), (Timid/Modest), (Jolly/Adamant)

I can provide you with the following Pokemon…
    (Timid), (Jolly), (Timid), (Rash), (Bold), (Careful), (Relaxed with Seismic Toss).

I’m also offering a legit Shiny Foongus. Looking for a good natured shiny in return!

I loved D/P I played so many hours...
    I didn't realize how much I missed it until after I gave it away and bought a new SS version. T-T
    Edward
    Soul Silver FC: 5158-1486-1707

I loved it, but it was VERY slow (battle animation, surfing), I nearly threw it out the window.
    Tonight, I wanna dance with someone else ~

I don't understand the hate. GEN 5 was much worse IMO.

I thought it was fine at the time, with the positives more than outweighing the negatives (which have been listed here already). But when Black and White came out, and I went back to restart Diamond after shifting all of my Pokemon to the new cart, I realised just how slow it was, and that's turned me against it a bit. That and the frankly ludicrous number of HMs, needing 5 to get through Victory Road. And yeah, I think Gen IV is the low point in Pokemon design, but like others have said that problem is solved after you beat the Elite Four.

I dont know why. I have beat and restarted 3 times. I love how in diamond after you beat the champion you can get lapras and can get level 70 girantina. I have diamond in my 3ds right now. But i hate how annoying they made the elite four. Also the people in the game talk to much.
    me:cat use scratch. friend:your cat is not a pokemon. ME: OH YEAH? CAT USE GROWL. CAT:MEOW (SHUT UP! JUST BECAUSE I CAN DO THAT DOES NOT MEAN I WILL DO THAT!) FRIEND:HA HA! ME:FEEL THE WRATH OF MY CHARZAIRD! FRIEND: DUDE THATS A TOY. ME:WAH! CAT AND FRIEND:HAH HAH! IDIOT. LATER: HEY CAT IS THAT A ARCANINE?! CAT:MEOW (I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THAT IS BUT I DONT LIKE CANINES.) FRIEND:RUN! ME: HAH HAH. TURD FACE...I TOLD HIM POKEMON WERE REAL. BY AGGRON GUY

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast