Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Why do so many people dislike D/P/Pt?

I enjoyed Gen IV, the new Pokemon were great, bringing evolutions to Pokemon that needed it was also a great idea. So many new Legendaries, all the starters were pretty good. This Gen was amazing!

Except for the speed, everything was just too.. Slow.
    Current Shiny Hunt:

Abra - 14 Boxes

Next Hunt:

Aron
    Ludicolo

I like bidoof!
    Sinnoh introëd( lol it is no existing word) me to pokemon and i still play since 2009 'cause my game crashed three times. I LOVE it
    Heartgold is less good i think

I was not too bothered about the speed of Gen 4 (YMMV, I played it on a computer-based emulator running at 200% speed before buying a DS Lite), though my major beef was that there were only around 5 Fire-type lines in Platinum, my designated Sinnoh game. Even worse considering I like Fire-types (not in competitive though; I run a rain team there). The incompleteness of Diamond & Pearl could be a problem, which is why I designated Platinum to be my Sinnoh game instead of Diamond or Pearl (though I did designate Emerald as my Hoenn game, so I guess I preferred the 3rd version of the trio-type games).

I could chalk the hate up to the complicated map layout (though the game successfully railroads you into the recommended track), visible lack of Fire-types (poor type distribution), and game speed (EVERYTHING about the game was slow, from battle to trading. Seriously, you don't need to fling the Pokeball up into space just so you could trade with the dude standing in front of you).

That does not mean I hate the game, however. Sinnoh introduced me to the DS Lite system, eventually giving me the drive to buy my first DS Lite (and then a 3DS XL) and Pokemon SoulSilver (I called it my starter pack), and introduced me to the wonders of portable gaming that is more complex than Angry Birds or how to crash your plane in various creative methods (or landing a B-737 on an aircraft carrier) in X-Plane.

That said, the only Pokemon generation that I did not like was Gen 1 (complete weirdness and type matchup failures). *hides in nuclear bunker*
    Everyone together! · 大家聚合!· Alles zusammen! · 모두 함께! · 一緒にみんな!

Source: Bulbapedia

White 2 - Drake - 2838 9377 2007
    3DS - 0232-7984-8655
    Shinies:
    DWFs: PM for details.

Open GMT 1100-1600 on weekdays & GMT 0000-1600 on weekends.
    Important info may be given through voice chat during trades.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I'm pretty sure the main reason why people don't like it is because of the amount of legendaries and the game's slow battle speed...
    FC: 1332-8918-6873
    Credit: AstralShadow (userbar) & Kida-Ookami (badge) & SwornMetalhead (symbol)

I hate them because they suck and need to burn in hell where they belong. The battles are too slow, the layout of Sinnoh and the way the Pokemon are placed SUCKS! There are no good Water or Fire Types aside from the starters that are catchable, many of the Pokemon's designs SUCK and for the most part the best in their line up are Pokemon that are evolutions of PRE EXISTING POKEMON which is some thing you SHOULDN'T DO! Yes you can give Eevee a few new evolutions every gen that's fine, but for the love of god FOCUS ON THE NEW POKEMON BEFORE YOU FOCUS ON THE OLD!! I mean really I'd sooner use a Honchkrow and a Yanmega then ANY of the Gen 4 Pokemon. In fact out side of the Sinnoh games I've never used a Sinnoh Pokemon on my team THAT'S HOW BAD THEY ARE!!

So yeah, when it comes down to it Gen 4 is the worst Gen of em all, even more so than Gen 1, balancing problems and all. Though if you did have to tie me down and make me say something good about Gen 4 I'd admit that the Turtwig line was pretty cool, easily the best out of the starters (I ****ing hate Chimchar, and no I couldn't let this post end on a positive note Sinnoh doesn't deserve that -_-)
    3DS Friend Code: 0817-4257-9489

I loved 4th gen. Diamond would be the game where I have clocked the most hours of game play, behind R/S/E. I grew up playing pokemon from R/B/Y but I'm not one of those "Genwunners". I don't see where this gen gets all the hate from. I remember having countless hours just going through the underground with my brother playing capture the flag etc. Ahhh those were the times...

I was so sad when I lost my Diamond version with the living pokedex at school when I was 14. I liked Diamond/Pearl when it came out, but in retrospect, it was kind of underwhelming. Think about it, how much did DPPT it really change from, say emerald version? Not much, the graphics were better, but still unpolished. The underground and online play were interesting, but it was basically just the secret bases from Gen 3. Also, Lucas had the stupid beret. Honey trees were just pointless, and the distortion world was a let down. Aside from that, they were fun games, of course. Just when you think about how much HeartGold and SoulSilver improved, like the streamlined easy to navigate touch screen. Then think about what diamond and pearl could have had, like fallowing pokemon, which I loved personally, and how pokemon battle revolution was a huge dissappintment. Gens 4 and 5 are both running very similar engines, since they are both playable on the normal DS, that said, Diamond and Pearl were good first attempts, but honestly, I find replaying the GBA games way more enjoyable than replaying my platinum.
    My shinys <3
    White 2 FC 0390 9363 2709

UU Team:

Looking for DW:

OU Team:

Looking for:

Have for trade:

I personally feel that DPP were the only bad pokemon games. Or I hope so, anyway. I've loved every game besides DPP. I even though maybe it was just bias because I loved Emerald so much, and recently went back to play through Platinum again and see if I liked it more now. Not. At. All. I don't like the rival, Professor Rowan has a very dry, dull personality (most professors, besides Elm who barely does anything, at least have a personality) for how often he appears throughout the game. I never liked the Dawn/Lucas designs, which led me to also dislike the entire DP anime saga. The one you don't pick is annoying in the game. 'I got my pokedex stolen, please help me!' and then their pokemon are strong enough that they definitely could have handled the grunts themselves. And Team Galactic. Worst team ever. I just. The plot in DPP feels like it was written by a ten year old. I wouldn't be surprised if it was. Cyrus never felt like a villain. I don't get how the lake spirits had a thing to do with anything. I also don't like the designs of the 4th gen pokemon, generally speaking, though I've warmed up to many of them (particularly Togekiss). Never liked the starters.
    And that's all the nicest things I have to say about the DPP games.

Alpha Sapphire Team

D/P/Pt is...slow. Simple.

But, there people that enjoyed fifth gen, so, why someone cannot dislike fourth gen?

My first Pokemon game was Diamond so I absolutely loved it and any other 4th gen game, The pokemon where creative and interesting I thought but one things for sure this Gen didn't ruin pokemon it enhanced it just like every Gen is and will do regardless of what long term fans think.

I don't agree with the hate. The plot was intense when you got to Veilstone HQ and beyond, and there was the now-complete Battle Frontier to beat (let's face it, Battle Park in DPP was utter ****). Giratina's Origin Forme was wonderful, but DP are the games that aren't that good. They are ok, but not as good as Platinum.
    Yveltal, the Destruction Pokémon: "When its life comes to an end, it absorbs the life energy of every living thing and turns into a cocoon once more."

Spoiler:- Current Hunts:

It may very well be that everyone has their head stuck up their *** thinking that HGSS was actually better than DPPt, when, in reality, it was really bad in comparison to DPPt.
    I'm feelin' electric tonight
    Cruising down the coast goin' 'bout 99
    Got my bad baby by my heavenly side
    I know if I go, I'll die happy tonight

The story. The music, the lack of new Pokemon. That was the reason for me. It also felt very GBA and the story just killed the whole game. Platinum enchanted it, yes, but that's about it and that's all there is to it.
    Click Jirachi to join the amazing Ever Grande City forums! You won't regret joining it!
    I've claimed this Pokemon.

I guess because it was really slow? I don't know, I absolutely loved those games, they were fabulous

Wild Future ~ Tyrone Walpole
    Credit
    I have claimed the Almighty Charizard.

I actually liked DPPt a whole lot, but there were some let downs of course. The pacing was slow (which was bearable. It's not like you're going to finish it in one sitting anyway), and there were only, like, four fire types you can have a chance to catch. Fire being my favorite type, it just got me irritated. Putting those aside, i have to say that these were my favorite games. They just hold sentimental value, and these games started on the DS, a hot system at the time. It started a new era of the Pokemon games.

i really love the 4th gen it was really fun (i only ever played fire red, soul silver, and platinum) i think the battles where slow as ever thoughpeople whom do not like the fourth gen that haven't tried platinum really should. hope you like 4th gen more

depends, my brother does (he's really lazy though) no offense though

Idk really. DPP were pretty cool.
    -It was very slow though. I turned the battle scene off just to try and speed it up a bit.
    -The contests were better than RSE though.
    -Rowan was dull. Barry was kind of annoying.
    -The male character design was...ehhhh.
    -Bidoof is a beast though.
    -Two shotting legendaries XD.
    -Galatic was annoying!

The undergrownd place was a nice touch.
    Friend Code
    4725-8753-8888

Nah.. Not me. I like Generation 4 Pokemon game much! As must as i like the Pokemon Mudkip.
    Monster Themed RPG - Milkacrea - http://milkacrea.net/

not sure. i love the games! it has a great and rather big story line.
    I love every Pokemon!

All animations were slow. That's the ONLY thing I can think of against Sinnoh (except my personal hate against Cynthia).

SINNOH RULES!!!111!1111!!1one!
    Vaporeon's a beast.

Maybe I'm biased since Diamond was the first pokemon game I ever played (first handheld game I played, actually, back in ~2009/10)...But I liked it =\ I'll also make note of the fact that I've never played R/S/E, or G/S/C, and only got a few badges in an online version of Red last summer...But even so...

I also grew up with the original anime/TCG (and partly through Johto before I stopped watching and Yu-Gi-Oh came along) when there were only 151 pokemon, but I've never had much of a bias about the pokemon designs just because of that...And I found Gen 4 to be fairly decent. Maybe that's because the pokemon I liked most were found right in the beginning (Torterra, Staraptor, Luxray) and had access to other pokemon I thought were alright (Rhyhorn, Gyarados), plus I liked the legendary/mascot (Dialga, making the 6th member of my team).

I guess the only pokemon/families I really like out of Gen 4 are Torterra, Empoleon, Staraptor, Luxray, Roserade, Lumineon, Leafeon, Bidoof, Dialga, Lucario, but it's enough that I consider it a win for Gen 4, because no Gen really has more than 10-20 that I like.

I'm surprised to find out that people didn't like this Gen's pokemon but liked Gen 3's O_o...I think Gen 3 has the worst looking pokemon...I don't think any of the starters look good, and the only pokemon I really care about in that Gen are Swellow, Aggron, Altaria, and Metagross. I find a lot of them to be bad looking, too, rather than feeling indifferent towards them (like Pachirisu or Floatzel)...Ludicolo, Breloom, Slaking, Loudred, Hariyama, Nosepass, and much more...They're all just so hideous looking...I'm completely baffled as to how people like that Gen, especially thinking it's one of the best, and especially that it's better than Gen 4 >.< To each their own, but it still just boggles my mind.

I care a lot about how pokemon look, (maybe that's why I didn't like B/W too much), so maybe other things in Gen 3 were better than Gen 4, but I don't know.

I was fond enough of Diamond to buy Platinum this past December (and do a Badge Quest on it), but like I said, maybe I'm just favoring it for being my first pokemon adventure.
    ★★Click the card to see my complete shiny card!★★

Current Shiny Hunts
    Axew, Aron, Boldore; Black 2 (Mistralton Cave): 500 REs
    Scyther; Platinum (Route 210 North): 11,500 REs (+32,282 REs = 4 Phases)
    HeartGold Badge Quest (#14) (Azalea Town) - Heracross: 8,300 HBs (+4,783 HBs = 2 Phases)
    HEARTGOLD BADGE QUEST:
    JOHTO HALF:
    KANTO HALF:

Platinum was the first one I got, since I have bought Emerald, SoulSilver & White. 5th Gen pkmn are purely naff, with a few exceptions. 3rd and 4th Gen were beast, and I have Pkmn Blue for my BlackBerry. Lucario is almost Legendary, in design and whatnot.
    Claimed Midtown Madness 2
    friend code pkmn white 0260 9870 5850
    73% of teenagers would cry if they saw Justin Bieber standing on top of a skyscraper about to jump.
    If you are the 27% sitting there with popcorn and 3D glasses, screaming "DO A BACKFLIP!", copy and paste this in your signature

Probably because of uneven type spread (only one native fire-type family, that being the starter) and overuse of previous generation pokemon.
    We all make mistakes, but the biggest one we can make is not learning from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowserboy129 View Post
    I hate them because they suck and need to burn in hell where they belong. The battles are too slow, the layout of Sinnoh and the way the Pokemon are placed SUCKS! There are no good Water or Fire Types aside from the starters that are catchable, many of the Pokemon's designs SUCK and for the most part the best in their line up are Pokemon that are evolutions of PRE EXISTING POKEMON which is some thing you SHOULDN'T DO! Yes you can give Eevee a few new evolutions every gen that's fine, but for the love of god FOCUS ON THE NEW POKEMON BEFORE YOU FOCUS ON THE OLD!! I mean really I'd sooner use a Honchkrow and a Yanmega then ANY of the Gen 4 Pokemon. In fact out side of the Sinnoh games I've never used a Sinnoh Pokemon on my team THAT'S HOW BAD THEY ARE!!

So yeah, when it comes down to it Gen 4 is the worst Gen of em all, even more so than Gen 1, balancing problems and all. Though if you did have to tie me down and make me say something good about Gen 4 I'd admit that the Turtwig line was pretty cool, easily the best out of the starters (I ****ing hate Chimchar, and no I couldn't let this post end on a positive note Sinnoh doesn't deserve that -_-)
    Calm down. Give some more reasons for starters. Don't use profanity. Don't use caps. I understand some of your reasons, but you've exaggerated a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Palamon View Post
    The story. The music, the lack of new Pokemon. That was the reason for me. It also felt very GBA and the story just killed the whole game. Platinum enchanted it, yes, but that's about it and that's all there is to it.
    Again, reasons. The music was epic (Cynthia's music, Barry's music <3), but that's subjective. But I agree with some of these...
    Vaporeon's a beast.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast