Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why are there no inherently evil pokemon?

Giovanni's Persian doesn't have many redeeming qualities.
    I am not worried, Harry. I am with you.

^This is my new fanfic. It's a work in progress, so please read and comment at your discretion. I hope you like it. I think you will.

Many, many thanks to Mew, who created this exceptional banner!

Harry Potter and How I Met Your Mother are currently my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulba the Great! View Post
    Giovanni's Persian doesn't have many redeeming qualities.
    Maybe that's to show how Mon's can become like their owner. For example, evil trainer = evil Persian OR stubborn trainer (hint-hint) = stubborn Pikachu.

the litwick from episode 28 I think in BW were pretty evil :P

Quote Originally Posted by Spin Attaxx View Post
    Pokémon clearly have a concept of morality, and aren't some dumb mutt. I find it hard to believe that out of 649 species, not a single one thought to themselves "hey, maybe I can use my powers of nightmares to rule the world!". Also, there have been real life cases of animals performing crimes like kidnapping. Also, Spiritomb sez hai. He's 108 evil spirits bound to a stone 'cause they did bad things.
    Um, what? Do you or have you EVER owned a pet? You should know how smart they can be. There's a whole freaking meme built around cats for gosh sakes!

Quote Originally Posted by lanmanna View Post
    Um, what? Do you or have you EVER owned a pet? You should know how smart they can be. There's a whole freaking meme built around cats for gosh sakes!
    That's a good point (and as a cat owner, I certainly agree), but Pokemon seem to be even smarter than the average Earth animal.

98% of the teenage population has died smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
    Good old natural selection...

Pokémon clearly have a concept of morality, and aren't some dumb mutt. I find it hard to believe that out of 649 species, not a single one thought to themselves "hey, maybe I can use my powers of nightmares to rule the world!". Also, there have been real life cases of animals performing crimes like kidnapping. Also, Spiritomb sez hai. He's 108 evil spirits bound to a stone 'cause they did bad things.
    Wow, just wow. >.> Believe me, my dogs/cat know if they did something right or wrong. They aren't as dumb as you think.

Animals kidnapping? Pfft the only thing I can think of is some ants with some smaller ants. While it's kidnapping, I'm sure there's some adaptation for why they do it.

As for Pokemon the notable thing is they have their own language and can speak English/Japanese through Telepathy. They are obviously advanced creatures but I think that's more to make them easier to understand for the little kids watching Pokemon.

“...This is a tricky problem, huh. I really, really want to see the other Heroes... and if it works out, I want to make friends with them! If I made friends with six Heroes, I’d be an awesome mage! We could even conquer the world!”
    -Flatt Escardos, Fate Strange Fake
    3DS Friend Code: 1306-5187-6204
    tumblr|fanfiction

As I said elsewhere (on this topic, maybe?), Pokémon are definetely as smart as or even smarter as humans. And while Ekans' "no bad Pokés" quote should be taken with a pinch of salt, it shows that Pokémon have a clear sense of morality. So logically, there should be at least one who realises it's far more powerful than humans, and decides to use their power to become a terrorist/god/destroyer of worlds/what have you.
    Shokotan: "And then, in Extremespeed Genesect: The Awakening of Mewtwo, we meet another Mewtwo!"
    Yuyama: "Yes, I thought it'd be better if it was a different Mewtwo."
    Good for you Yuyama. Too bad you've singlehandedly torpedoed any lingering respect I and anyone else had for you.

While there can be morally gray Pokemon, that tropes been done to death so I agree that there needs be more vareity in terms of Pokemon characters.

Anything that has free will can become evil. I don't buy the whole 'Pokemon can't be evil' argument. Because whenever it's brought up, I simply say, 'Says who?'.
    A Winner Is You!!!

If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done.
    - Bruce Lee

The worst thing you can do in any business is blame the customer.
    - Willie 'Jack' Degel

Says Jessie's Ekans... and unless that Ekans was told by Arceus Itself that Pokémon cannot be evil, I don't buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    While there can be morally gray Pokemon, that tropes been done to death so I agree that there needs be more vareity in terms of Pokemon characters.
    Exactly. The whole "Evil-looking guy isn't really evil" thing may have been cute once, but when you see it for the 50th time, the gimmick wears itself out. I still don't see why Pokés can't be the devil, but humans can do it fine. It makes me think of a story that says there is no such thing as pure evil... yet has villains who are not portrayed in any positive way.

Make an evil looking Poké that's actually evil for once pls.
    Last edited by Spin Attaxx; 28th November 2012 at 9:46 PM.
    Shokotan: "And then, in Extremespeed Genesect: The Awakening of Mewtwo, we meet another Mewtwo!"
    Good for you Yuyama. Too bad you've singlehandedly torpedoed any lingering respect I and anyone else had for you.

As I said elsewhere (on this topic, maybe?), Pokémon are definetely as smart as or even smarter as humans. And while Ekans' "no bad Pokés" quote should be taken with a pinch of salt, it shows that Pokémon have a clear sense of morality. So logically, there should be at least one who realises it's far more powerful than humans, and decides to use their power to become a terrorist/god/destroyer of worlds/what have you.
    Mewtwo did. He very clearly wanted to go against the norm of "all Pokemon must be nice to humans" (which is apparently so ingrained into every Pokemon's mind that it's practically genetic), but instead wussed out and conformed to it in the end.

Meowth's about the only Pokemon in existence who truly chose (and continues) to be wicked and malevolent towards man, and not just as a mischievous tormentor (like Spiritomb, for one).
    Last edited by Maetch; 29th November 2012 at 1:06 AM.
    Gen1 Pokedex: 151/151
    Gen2 Pokedex: 251/251
    Gen3 Pokedex: 386/386
    Gen4 Pokedex: 493/493
    Gen5 Pokedex: 649/649

Quote Originally Posted by Maetch View Post
    Mewtwo did. He very clearly wanted to go against the norm of "all Pokemon must be nice to humans" (which is apparently so ingrained into every Pokemon's mind that it's practically genetic), but instead wussed out and conformed to it in the end.
    ... Or, rather, events happened that opened his eyes to the fact that being an ******* to humans is actually seriously a bad thing.

98% of the teenage population has died smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.
    Good old natural selection...

Ah yes - the Arceus ex Machina. Seriously, those blasts should've nuked Ash. And, as the Nostalgia Critic said, crying to raise the dead isn't very smart writing. And the whole "Poké tears are filled with Ressurectium" thing was dub only, so it is completely out of nowhere.

And sadly, even Mewtwo, the original evil Poké, wasn't inherently evil. His friend died, and that made him evil. I never liked that whole "my loved one is dead, I'MMA KILL THE UNIVERSE" motivation, I'd prefer if he were evil from birth. Kinda makes more sense to me.
    Last edited by Spin Attaxx; 29th November 2012 at 7:52 PM.

Well, Hydreigon does destroy everything it sees. I'm not sure whether that's being evil or just being extremely fidgety.
    I like Metagross, and I used to claim it!
    Spheal with it.

Spoiler:- 3DS Friend Code:

And sadly, even Mewtwo, the original evil Poké, wasn't inherently evil. His friend died, and that made him evil. I never liked that whole "my loved one is dead, I'MMA KILL THE UNIVERSE" motivation, I'd prefer if he were evil from birth. Kinda makes more sense to me.
    Isn't it hard for something to be born evil? Things all start out the same--as in not knowing enough about the world to despise it (unless with some mental illness or whatever) :/

“...This is a tricky problem, huh. I really, really want to see the other Heroes... and if it works out, I want to make friends with them! If I made friends with six Heroes, I’d be an awesome mage! We could even conquer the world!”
    -Flatt Escardos, Fate Strange Fake
    3DS Friend Code: 1306-5187-6204
    tumblr|fanfiction

Well, Mewtwo wasn't technically born - he was created, and his violent nature is said to be due to the scientist failing to give Mewtwo a warm heart. In other words, Mewtwo was - albeit unintentionally - made evil.

what about shadow pokemon are they evil

Shadow pokemon haven't featured in the anime or at least i haven't seen them, so i don't really know. On the subject of mewtwo, i think he was 'evil' because they wanted to create the ultimate pokemon. So really, it's another case of tragic backstory. Personally, i want to see a true evil pokemon, it would make it more exciting. But sadly that probably won't happen.

Always watching. Always waiting. Never truly at peace in a realm of its own.
    Giratina will return....someday.

Well, Genesect is the next candidate for "evil Pokémon", and they made a Pokémon - Kyurem - the antagonist of the last movie (last that happened was, what, 12 years ago?), so if all goes well, he'll be the Pokémon equivalent of the Daleks. If not, he'll be made a goody goody to make the human villan look more evil. Guess which is more likely to happen... *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by fitzy909 View Post
    Shadow pokemon haven't featured in the anime or at least i haven't seen them, so i don't really know.
    In my view, Shadow Pokemon are what happens when humans suck all the morality and self-restraint out of a Pokemon's heart and leave mindless hate in its place. They're about akin to rabid animals that lash out at anything that moves.
    Gen1 Pokedex: 151/151
    Gen2 Pokedex: 251/251
    Gen3 Pokedex: 386/386
    Gen4 Pokedex: 493/493
    Gen5 Pokedex: 649/649

http://claypita.deviantart.com/art/L...sues-187556669

This sums my thoughts on Mewtwo, Deoxys and Darkrai's portrayals in their movies PERFECTLY.

I can see Genesect becoming a weapon for Team Plasma. It's not misunderstood nor inherently evil. I hope...

Wasn't Genesect already a weapon for Team Plasma? Y'know, before N canned it? Also, I severely hope otherwise.

so those litwicks who wanted to eat ash and co souls along with the gengar crew from season 1 werent evil then
    Team X:

Well, Mewtwo wasn't technically born - he was created, and his violent nature is said to be due to the scientist failing to give Mewtwo a warm heart. In other words, Mewtwo was - albeit unintentionally - made evil.
    Is that seriously the plot angle they went with in the Japanese version?

Either way, Pokemon have free will. They can think and make their own decisions, as we've seen countless times in the Anime and games. Therefore, that must mean, they are just as capable of evil as humans.
    Last edited by SBaby; 4th December 2012 at 9:52 AM.
    A Winner Is You!!!

If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done.
    - Bruce Lee

The worst thing you can do in any business is blame the customer.
    - Willie 'Jack' Degel

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast