Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why are there no inherently evil pokemon?

Mewtwo's animé backstory made him a Team Rocket Mew clone who was given the cliché tragic backstory of his best friend "super-dying" (she was dead before Mewtwo was made, and Dr. Fuji was trying to clone her back to life) and him becoming evil because of that and apparently some amnesia-inducing serum.

In the games, Rocket isn't involved at all, there's no dead girl and Mewtwo is more of a super-powered son of Mew who was naturally and unintentionally made as the most twisted and savage Pokémon ever (remember kids, don't make the strongest Poké ever for gits and shiggles).
    Shokotan: "And then, in Extremespeed Genesect: The Awakening of Mewtwo, we meet another Mewtwo!"
    Yuyama: "Yes, I thought it'd be better if it was a different Mewtwo."
    Good for you Yuyama. Too bad you've singlehandedly torpedoed any lingering respect I and anyone else had for you.

I don't mind the addition of Team Rocket to Mewtwo's creation but again, the sad backstory think has really worn its welcome by now. Big time.

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    I don't mind the addition of Team Rocket to Mewtwo's creation but again, the sad backstory think has really worn its welcome by now. Big time.
    I Just don't get why the fact Mew killing Jessie's mom in that avalanche is always overlooked along with the fact that in the JPN version it also wanted to kill all the clone Pokemon for absolutely no reason whatsoever, It seems kinda...dark.
    - My Sig was too Tall, so a Mod fixed it -

Quote Originally Posted by gamer_legend View Post
    I Just don't get why the fact Mew killing Jessie's mom in that avalanche is always overlooked
    Maybe because its in the audio drama which isn't as known as the "birth of Mewtwo" feature?
    Shokotan: "And then, in Extremespeed Genesect: The Awakening of Mewtwo, we meet another Mewtwo!"
    Good for you Yuyama. Too bad you've singlehandedly torpedoed any lingering respect I and anyone else had for you.

Quote Originally Posted by 00poke_maniac View Post
    Is there an evil animal? That's why.
    Dolphins have been known to rape people and other dolphins. They also form multi-tiered gangs of up to 15 dolphins to peck and headbutt non-member dolphins to the point of severe internal bleeding and death. They primarily do this to non-members that serve no threat and solely for entertainment purposes.

Dolphins are assholes.

Spoiler:- My Badge Case:

I was under the impression that Giratina was actually evil. He was willingly destroying the Dream World or whatever it was. I also thought that Kyurem was being portrayed as evil especially in the movie.
    PSN: DCCBruceWayneSAS
    3DS Friend Code: 5129-0459-2616

Quote Originally Posted by Spin Attaxx View Post
    Maybe because its in the audio drama which isn't as known as the "birth of Mewtwo" feature?
    Its because jessie is a horrible person and karma is just taking a preemptive strike.

Well I've seen evil pokemon (in some way) in the anime in my point of view
    -The three ducklett who stole poor sandile's sunglasses
    -The evil togepi in the epsiode "Where no togepi has gone before" I can't remember clearly the episode name
    -The litwicks who tried to take the soul of Team Rocket and Ash and co.
    -Spiritomb in one of the Sinnoh saga episode
    -Pokemon having fun scaring people and stealing are evil acts

Well these are just my thoughts
    The only journey is the journey within.
    Rainer Maria Rilke
    My First Pokemon FanFic
    Pokemon: Aura Legends
    Pokemon: Aura Legends

Quote Originally Posted by Cryochronic View Post
    Dolphins have been known to rape people and other dolphins. They also form multi-tiered gangs of up to 15 dolphins to peck and headbutt non-member dolphins to the point of severe internal bleeding and death. They primarily do this to non-members that serve no threat and solely for entertainment purposes.

Dolphins are assholes.
    Also, IIRC, there was a case where dingoes kidnapped a human baby years ago. So yes, even in our world, animals can be evil through their own will.

Because only humans can be evil NEVER Pokemon. Anime Logic FTW
    DON'T LET OTHERS DEFINE YOU!
    YOU DEFINE YOURSELF!!
    Nintendo Network ID: Marbi-Z
    3DS Friend Code: 4596-9457-8718
    Platinum Team:
    Heartgold Team:
    White Team:
    White 2 Team:
    Alternates:
    I Love LOPUNNY and I Love GARDEVOIR too!
    Wanna battle and/or exchange 3DS Friend Codes?
    PM or VM me!

Also, IIRC, there was a case where dingoes kidnapped a human baby years ago. So yes, even in our world, animals can be evil through their own will.
    That's not even remotely close to evil. That's a pack of predatory animals preying on a small, helpless creature. It seems evil to us, certainly, because it's tragic and a child lost her (I think it was a her?) life to wild animals, but to the animals, they're just doing what they're programmed to do: hunt for food. Not evil in the slightest.

-----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

I suppose the closest Thing we have as of right now would be the Darkrai in the mystery dungeon games, no matter how you look at it the guy is evil.

Looking at the TCG art for Genesect, I really feel like Genesect is shaping up to be evil. I mean, "MegaloCannon"? I see that as megalomaniacal + cannon. And he looks so sharp and menacing. Coupled with his Plasma origins, I don't see why he can't be evil.

Isn't the groudon that team aqua made evil?

IIRC, Aqua didn't make Groudon? I don't think they had any interest in Groudon other than "that''s the thing Kyogre should kill".

IIRC, Aqua didn't make Groudon? I don't think they had any interest in Groudon other than "that''s the thing Kyogre should kill".
    I think they meant the one that Butler made. XD Actually if I remember what was said was:

Butler: That's no Pokemon...that thing is evil...pure evil.

:P

“...This is a tricky problem, huh. I really, really want to see the other Heroes... and if it works out, I want to make friends with them! If I made friends with six Heroes, I’d be an awesome mage! We could even conquer the world!”
    -Flatt Escardos, Fate Strange Fake
    3DS Friend Code: 1306-5187-6204
    tumblr|fanfiction

Quote Originally Posted by 00poke_maniac View Post
    I think they meant the one that Butler made. XD Actually if I remember what was said was:

Butler: That's no Pokemon...that thing is evil...pure evil.

:P
    Dub or sub?

*Cough* Drifblim

Nah, no Pokemon is 'evil.'

But I think it would kinda interesting if they had a "virus" type Pokemon. Its only purpose would be to infect, take over Pokemon, and continue to spread. It wouldn't be necessarily evil, but it would lack any morals. Would make for an interesting movie, I'd imagine.
    "We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven. That which we are, we are. One equal temper of heroic hearts. Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will. To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."
    Thank you FairyWitch for the banner!

There are no evil Pokemon, just like there are no evil animals. No matter what anyone says. c:

I mean, "MegaloCannon"? I see that as megalomaniacal + cannon.
    No. It's megalo- as in the Greek for "big" or "great". It's a common prefix in the naming of prehistoric animals - see Megalosaurus and Megalodon.

That's part of the root for "megalomaniacal", to be sure, but given that "MegaloCannon" would literally mean "Great Cannon" or "Big Cannon" and given Genesect's prehistoric origins, I think it's pretty clear what they're going for here.

Coupled with his Plasma origins, I don't see why he can't be evil.
    Because we've spent the whole thread establishing - unnecessarily - that at every turn, the franchise takes every step to push the message that Pokémon are not inherently evil. Misguided, indifferent, indocrinated, in pain and lashing out, but basically everything but inherently evil.

-----
    Words to|live by

Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    Because we've spent the whole thread establishing - unnecessarily - that at every turn, the franchise takes every step to push the message that Pokémon are not inherently evil. Misguided, indifferent, indocrinated, in pain and lashing out, but basically everything but inherently evil.
    Even so, that misunderstood trope has been overdone.

Quote Originally Posted by Maldread View Post
    But I think it would kinda interesting if they had a "virus" type Pokemon. Its only purpose would be to infect, take over Pokemon, and continue to spread. It wouldn't be necessarily evil, but it would lack any morals. Would make for an interesting movie, I'd imagine.
    They could have done that for Deoxys. They didn't. I am sad.

Also, I think only the animé says "all Pokémon are as pure as Jesus Christ" - Mewtwo and Giratina, as well as a couple of Ghost Pokés aren't really saints in the games, the MD series especially.
    Last edited by Spin Attaxx; 13th December 2012 at 6:33 PM.

Some ghost pokémon are evil, like chandelure can eat your soul! :O

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    Even so, that misunderstood trope has been overdone.
    That's subjective and completely irrelevant to this.

Also, I think only the animé says "all Pokémon are as pure as Jesus Christ"
    Putting aside your exaggeration, no, the games usually go to lengths to mention it to some degree. As Kyogre and Groudon and Dialga and Palkia and Giratina and whomever else are fighting or releasing time-space energy or creating holes in reality, the dialogue always says they've been provoked or they're just fulfilling their role in nature or whatever.

Mewtwo and Giratina, as well as a couple of Ghost Pokés aren't really saints in the games
    Mewtwo never does anything but lash out at the misguided scientists who created it for the wrong reasons, and even that is anime-only, since we certainly never see Mewtwo do it in the games. Beyond that, Mewtwo doesn't do a lot of anything besides sit in its cave and make a noise when you come near.

Darkrai too. What did it ever do beyond give a kid some bad dreams? Nightmares aren't evil. They're unpleasant, certainly, but they're a natural part of what our brains do when we sleep.

the MD series especially.
    The next time the PMD titles do anything as far as characteristics or characterization that actually matters in the big picture will in fact be the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by cantavanda View Post
    Some ghost pokémon are evil, like chandelure can eat your soul! :O
    That's only Pokédex lore, and that still doesn't make them evil. Just dangerous. Like any wild animal.

-----
    Words to|live by

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast