Thread: Replaying... what do you think of...

Unhappy The most annoying thing about Gen1

Okay, So I'm replaying through Yellow.

Goodness, there's one thing that is completely annoying about Gen1.
    WRAP/CONSTRICT/BIDE. It continues whilst you 'can't move'.
    This has happened way too much, say you just barely got through Mt.Moon and TEAM ROCKET comes to annoy you...

They send out EKANS; and your party has suffered well from making your way through.
    It also so happens that EKANS has a higher speed and level than your remaining Pokémon, so what does it do? Constantly use Wrap.

It managed to wipe out my entire party because it constantly went first and used nothing but WRAP; I couldn't do ANYTHING about it!

Grr. Anyone else finding/found this so annoying??
    Last edited by FLAMEBOY; 3rd May 2013 at 12:18 AM.

MY FC: Heartgold - "Grazzii" 3696 + 2486 + 2020

Bournemouth University - BSC Audio && Music Technology
    Massive Geek
    Love Music
    Feel free to checkout my website/portfolio
    http://rayfoter.tk/

I had the same exact problem, only it was Moltres using Fire Spin. Even my Lv.48 Kadabra couldn't knock it out fast enough. It owned my whole team pretty quickly.

~ashiemore
    I really need something to put here.

There's the sleeping thing and so Dragon types not weak against dragons xD
    I hate the bind/wrap as well as the select buttons xD

Everything seem so fast now adays which is good :3 nya~

This made the games more interesting, and take longer to finish.. Nowadays people just want everything to be too easy. Thus the first gens were better.
    POKEMEN X FRIEND CODE 0576-5538-2566
    TEAM:

Granted, it was annoying, but as WishforaMilotic said games just aren't fun if they're easy. It spices it up a little if the game pushes you.
    Since I was off for so long, I feel it is only right to start anew. My name is pokemon player, and I am very happy to meet you.

Credit to lifeburst for the banner, check him out!

It was annoying but at least no NPCs used a toxic + wrap etc. combo!

That Gen was annoying!
    I can't believe people think this Gen is better than any gen else! I mean come ON, you only carry 20 items that includes IMPORTANT ITEMS! And worst of all, your Item PC Can only hold up to 50 items if you don't have Stadium to store them in! And yes Wrap was annoying in Gen 1 and so was not able to use an attack on the same turn your Pokémon awakes!
    This Gen has become so overrated!

My FireRed Champs:

My HeartGold Team:

My Black Team:

My White Team:

My White 2 Team So Far:

Quote Originally Posted by WishforaMilotic View Post
    This made the games more interesting, and take longer to finish.. Nowadays people just want everything to be too easy. Thus the first gens were better.
    I think there's a slight difference between a game being challenging and a game being annoying, and I think that the Wrap thing goes in the latter category. I know it happened to me a few times and it just seemed like something a lot of people had trouble against and it was just a very tiresome game mechanic that I'm glad has changed somewhat.

Yeah, it was sorta annoying when it was overused, but the one thing about wrap which really annoyed me was that it never worked when I used it.

Replaying Pokémon Red/Blue/Yellow is/are worth the time, because there are many anti-Gen. 1 Pokémon "fans" that are missing out on what made Pokémon worth millions of people's time and/or money. As far as I'm concerned, Gen. 1 isn't the hardest in the series, but it's certainly not the easiest either. Luckily, there are still people who (re)play these games. Despite Gen. 1's "flaws", I would gladly play Red/Blue/Yellow, even in multiple languages! Also, Gen. 1 is neither underrated, nor overrated; it's simply borderline (in my opinion).
    I feel like the "Gen. 1 Pokémon Prince of the Midwest". Currently, I competitively play English Gen. 1 and English Gen. 2 Pokémon games, because Gen. 3 and later on is not worth my time. I also do not use NetBattle at the moment.

Well, encountering wild pokemon like Tentacruel and Zubat w/ annoying moves, although they're annoying but I somehow 'enjoy' it.
    It brings back the nostalgia.
    X FC: Cutty 2449 6004 1037

Wee... Poison slide at my gym...

Pokegyms Fairy Leader

Credit to Astral Shadow for the userbar and Kida-Ookami for the badge.

I was always annoyed by the use of Wrap as a kid (I will never forgive Erika, NEVER), so I was really happy when I learned they got rid of that annoying tidbit in later games. I don't remember Fire Spin that much in Yellow, but thanks to Pokémon Stadium, I was always just as annoyed by it as with Wrap. But what made it more annoying was that the opponent would almost always spam it. And as you couldn't switch out while Wrapped...

Seriously, what was Game Freak thinking at the time? Sure, it kinda sounds plausible when you think about it, but when you have really bad AI behind it, it makes it worse.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

This always drove me crazy in Pokemon Stadium. I remember facing many a Dragoinair's Wrapping wrath, especially after it paralyzed me, and nearly going insane since there was literally nothing you could do about it. I'm glad that quickly changed.

~Psychic

Wrap and similar moves gave me a lot of trouble during my first time playing Gen 1. I did lose several battles because of it.

I still find these moves annoying at times, but now they don't give me as much trouble as they did in the past.

Cool

I found this a massive problem back when i first played through red mind you i was 10 at the time and hardly the gamer i am today lol, these days i lvl grind in every game usually 10 lvl's above the gym leader. I was actually disappointed in GSC when they changed the wrap/bind/fire spin mechanic like others have said it was a great challenge. As for Gen 1 being horrible, thats just not the case well for me any way, i prefer it over gen 4 .
    With Out Evil There Would Be No Good In A World Were for Every Shade Of Blue There is a shade Of Grey

Wrap, Firespin, Bind, etc. were good moves if you used them. They were bad moves if your opponent used them.

If you switch out Pokemon each time your opponent uses wrap, I believe they'll eventually stop, but I'm not 100% sure.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this into your sig if you are too.†

In yellow with the first gym. Brock, takes you forever to get a pokemon that can beat his.
    The world needs more weird people who know how things work and who love to figure it all out.
    Being different is not a crime, and people who tell you it is are just jealous that you've picked up a skill they never in their wildest dreams could acquire.
    You can code. They cannot. That is pretty dang cool.
    ~Zed Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by WishforaMilotic View Post
    Seriously? These were blatent flaws in the game. Gen 1, despite being brilliant, was definitely not brilliant due to things like the "wrap" flaw. Not only is the wrap thing extremely frustrating, but it SLOWLY kills you, so wastes your time as well. I think I speak for most people when I say I'm glad they fixed this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethan
    During your experience at SPPf, there is unfortunatley no protection or clause that states "Mods shall not be bitchy."
    That's right... I AM KIRA

3DS Friend code: 3351 4126 2678
    PM me your code if you add mine. Mainly up for Mario Kart 7 but don't mind other suggested games if I have them!

Quote Originally Posted by CAH View Post
    I think I speak for most people when I say I'm glad they fixed this.
    Yup, you do.

I think as Yellow as an awesome game, even though there are some flaws, as other people has stated. That 'wrap' one made me cry one time as I never had the time to attack. However, Pokemon Yellow did feel great, and sometimes I feel sorry for it when people say Gen 1 is bad, Gen 5 is good or Gen 5 is bad, Gen 1 is good. To me. I like Gen 5 more but I have to accept that despite the flaws, Gen 1 was great.