View Poll Results: Which of these two would you pick?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Have a final season of pokemon with my favorite character starring on it.

    13 34.21%
  • Have the anime continue for as long as possible for many generations.

    25 65.79%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 65 of 65

Thread: Choice between continuing the anime or a final season with your favorite character

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    At south of Kalos.
    Posts
    2,211

    Default

    @Cyber, for me: Dawn's returning to the main cast > Ash's leaving the show and the anime making a robot.

    Sorry, but Pikachu (and specially Ash's Pikachu is the face of the Pokemon franchise. They aren't going to ditch that status so quickly. I don't know what will happen but i don't think that Ash is going to leave like others will.

    To be more precise, Ash and Pikachu appear in the Best Wishes series where older pokemon doesn't appear, old references doesn't exist, etc. If they want to make a reboot of the anime, they made Ash leave in DP191 (with making AshXDawn couple?) before BW1 starts.

    The pokemon anime isn't for CyberCubed. It's from kids from 4-15 years that probably didn't known anything apart from a few episodes.

    For me, if a character survived the transition from DP to BW, that character won't leave the show until the end of the show. And how knows when...

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,059

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HoennDreamer View Post
    Well orange islands was being written during kanto meaning they wanted to americanize the show a little more, it just backfired straight away so they planned brocks return.
    I know you probably don't remember this, but the dub used to be a full 40-50 episodes behind the Japanese version in the early days.

    When we were in late Kanto, Johto was already beginning in Japan. When Master Quest was airing in the U.S, Japan was already airing the beginning of Hoenn.

    We used to be very behind the Japanese airings.

  3. #53

    Default

    Disite what Cybs says, Ash and Pikachu are still very popular around the world including Japan and like some said are the face of Pokemon. Also Cybs, I really wish you wouldn't state your opinion as facts I beg of you to please stop that, like I've said over and over again to you Misty/Brock are not the main characters, only Ash is.
    A close family member of mine died today, I put this in my sign as respect for him

    Ash fan. Luffy fan. Gintoki fan-Gintama. Endou fan-Inazuma Eleven.
    Multi Luffy {One Piece} and Ash {Pokemon} Shippers.

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Croatia.
    Posts
    2,175

    Default

    It would be rather reckless and bad move to get rid of Ash who has been driving force of anime for past 15 years,being underrated how popular and iconic to audience he really is with complete overhaul doing nothing but ruining positive image pokemon series established about themselves.

    Whats the point in following Ash 2.0 passing through same things all over again learning basics, trying to win league carrying Pikachu clone with himself?

    I would for sure rather follow continuation of Ash story entering harder challenges, battling various evaluators to defend his reputation and advancing on higher levels as trainer advancing his career of becoming master, beyond simple win of one league. actually having experience behind him with basics being covered.

    That would be ultimately more fresh and exciting to see than following alternate version of Ash character going through baby steps all over again.

    Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    No he isn't, Pikachu is the mascot. The anime isn't called, "The adventures of Ash," its called, "Pokemon."

    As the writers are finally phasing out all the original series characters like Misty/Brock/Gary/Team Rocket....its only a matter of time before Ash is finally wrapped up and they do a real reboot.
    Main difference between traveling companions and Ash is that he is driving force of pokemon series with whole story revolving around his journey.
    Pokemon anime is about following Ash journey of becoming pokemon master and promoting new pokemon with show being centralized around it.
    Everyone else are expendable with people being used to traveling companions getting replaced accepting it(aside from few exceptions).

    Trying to use examples of Brock, Misty, TR etc to support "Ash leaving"is like comparing apples to oranges.

    Unlike them Ash is actually main star which is representing pokemon series with whole story revolving around it being most popular, iconic and recognized character worldwide. He and Pikachu at this point became integrated within pokemon with people getting used to them so much(many even attached) that pokemon series are associated with this two being their icons.

    And that can't be replaced easily at all.

    Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    It doesn't have to be Ash's Pikachu. There's a different Pikachu in those Mystery Dungeon shorts yet they act like its the "main" Pikachu with little to no difference.
    That would be terrible idea. Ash and Pikachu are already viewed as inseparable couple with fans associating one with another. Removing any of them would tarnish their popularity and connection to series they established.
    Needless to say if your going to make replica of Ash with new guy using Pikachu, might as well keep current protagonist instead.

    Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    No there wouldn't. Older fans are out of the target audience and younger fans grow up with newer characters like Iris and Cilan. It doesn't matter who are main characters for them because they weren't even born when Ash's story started.
    Small kids probably aren't attached to character to same degree like older fans are, but he is still mascot and main face of pokemon series to them being used to character. He is also most recognized anime mascot(along with Pikachu)worldwide and having him replaced after 15 years could confuse young viewers with anime losing its identity,which would in process turn them away from new alternate show.

    New guy don't have 15 years behind himself, wouldn't be nowhere near iconic and recognizable to people like Ash is simply not having stamina, same promotional value and charisma to bring in new viewers toward anime like current protagonist does. Not to mention there is no guarantee that he would be accepted among viewers with new character bringing risk of ending up unpopular.

    Quote Originally Posted by HoennDreamer View Post
    [I]doesn't mean anything, the younger audience could protest against this, just like they did with brock.
    That doesn't mean much to writers though. After Misty left people protested on much larger scale and it didn't changed anything.

    Brock was never returned because of fans, but because of his "supposed racial issues"showing to be no problem at all.

    That's not to say their departures didn't caused many fans to quit show(not so much in Brock case though since he returned anyway)because original cast was iconic to people at that time , and if they could cause so much stir i can imagine that Ash leaving would be 100 times worse received.

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueDragonfangirl View Post
    Also Cybs, I really wish you wouldn't state your opinion as facts I beg of you to please stop that, like I've said over and over again to you Misty/Brock are not the main characters, only Ash is.
    Misty and Brock were main characters too. Difference is that unlike them Ash is driving force, main star of pokemon series.

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    12,799

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pokemon fan 132 View Post
    Misty and Brock were main characters too. Difference is that unlike them Ash is driving force, main star of pokemon series.
    There is a difference between being "THE" main character and being "A" main character but BlueDragonfangirl did say it wrong.
    Misinterpreting my posts is not your fault, negative repping me, and getting very sensitive about my posts because you misinterpreted my posts however is your fault. Think really hard, before negative repping or making a big deal about my posts. I don't appreciate being negative repped for reasons that are a result of misinterpreting my posts.

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,059

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dman_dustin View Post
    There is a difference between being "THE" main character and being "A" main character but BlueDragonfangirl did say it wrong.
    But if they start a new series, it wouldn't center around Ash.

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    12,799

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doryuzu View Post
    Yeah, now you care about the target audience when you make many baseless claims that the writers are writing the show for older fans. You're purposely changing what you say to support your opinion.

    Like I said, there's no point in replacing Ash. The kids that watch this show hasn't been watching for as many years and don't care. What's the point in making anew main character when the current one is working just fine? "I WANT HIS STORY TO END!!11" is not an answer, this show is written for marketing and is about the journey not the destination. You. Should quit watching if it bothers you so much.
    Especially given the fact that all he's implying is that the newer audience members ARE ONLY focusing on Iris and Cilan, and aren't focusing on Ash at all.

    The thing is, when you use that argument. Guess what to newer audiences, Ash is a brand new character.

    Only older fans notice that it's the same protagonist for 15 years.
    Misinterpreting my posts is not your fault, negative repping me, and getting very sensitive about my posts because you misinterpreted my posts however is your fault. Think really hard, before negative repping or making a big deal about my posts. I don't appreciate being negative repped for reasons that are a result of misinterpreting my posts.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,059

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dman_dustin View Post
    Especially given the fact that all he's implying is that the newer audience members ARE ONLY focusing on Iris and Cilan, and aren't focusing on Ash at all.

    The thing is, when you use that argument. Guess what to newer audiences, Ash is a brand new character.

    Only older fans notice that it's the same protagonist for 15 years.
    Which is why he's replaceable. Even the kids who watched DP are probably no longer watching Best Wishes. Each gen brings in new kids, Ash isn't more important to them than anyone else.

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    At south of Kalos.
    Posts
    2,211

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    Which is why he's replaceable. Even the kids who watched DP are probably no longer watching Best Wishes. Each gen brings in new kids, Ash isn't more important to them than anyone else.
    To note, Takara Tomy, Bandai, Banpresto and company could want to return Dawn full-time to spam Piplup merchandise in almost-Pikachu levels. Axew don't sell much merchandise these days (contrary to popular belief; and I'm sure that Togepi had way more merch than Axew is getting now)

    But apart from that, Ash is irreplacable because of Pikachu. Pikachu (particularly Ash's Pikachu) is the mascot of pokemon, sells way more merch than any other, appear in anything pokemon-related. And the children won't like another Pikachu in the anime.

    And if they want to make a rebbot and ditch Ash from the anime, they has replaced Ash already. Because Black & White represents a new start of the series, has no old pokemon, no old references, etc. If Ash and Pikachu appears in Best Wishes 1, is because Ash is too much important to leave.

    And the kids in BW care about Ash. Remember that Ash in BW is the only star of the series meaning that many of the screentime goes to Ash and is the character that show during the saga a major level of development. And remember that Ash is the most marketable human in pokemon.

    Sorry, if the merch companies could be hurt because Dawn's Piplup isn't anymore on the anime, I don't think what happen if Ash's Pikachu is out of the anime.
    Last edited by Eievui-Nymphia; 5th December 2012 at 7:55 AM.

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Croatia.
    Posts
    2,175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    Which is why he's replaceable. Even the kids who watched DP are probably no longer watching Best Wishes. Each gen brings in new kids, Ash isn't more important to them than anyone else.
    Except he is, to them Ash represents brand this show established about itself being viewed along with Pikachu as face of pokemon anime.

    He is main source of profit which drives new generations toward this show with both older and younger fans associating pokemon series with him and yellow rodent. Its not, Iris, Dawn, Misty, May, Brock etc but Ash, and when you build iconic status around some character representing pokemon anime for 15 years, he becomes irreplaceable.
    If you seriously think how Ash leaving wont leave any negative effect on young generations not bringing risk of alienating audience, than i have to say your sadly mistaken.

    Quote Originally Posted by fer92 View Post
    To note, Takara Tomy, Bandai, Banpresto and company could want to return Dawn full-time to spam Piplup merchandise in almost-Pikachu levels. Axew don't sell much merchandise these days (contrary to popular belief; and I'm sure that Togepi had way more merch than Axew is getting now)
    Agreed with everything except Dawn. I doubt writers will bring her back to main cast, especially now that contests are gone. She in reality doesn't have any bigger chance to come back than Misty, May or Brock and we all know how small chances for this are.

    Popularity of 4th gen starter and successful sales which isn't relevant to 5th generation, isn't enough to warrant full time return.

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Alto Mare, Johto
    Posts
    193

    Default

    I gotta agree that Ash is a heavily marketable human and it's easier for them to build on someone they've known since the anime began. But its pretty silly to be talking about what they'll do next without basis. The whole "target audience" thing seems kinda moot. If everything is new to new viewers then how are they supposed to figure whats trendy and popular on a long-term scale? Its simply not efficient enough to focus on only the short term. If the anime is to continue long term and prosper in doing so, then they'll need to transform the "its for kids" mindset to "the audience deserves better". They jumped the short hurdle, now its time to raise the bar and aim for the high one.
    I am the current leader of Save Our Voice Actors, a Pokemon fan group supporting the voice actors in the anime dubbed by 4Kids (seasons 1-8). Our goal is to provide The Pokemon Company international with encouraging feedback in support of returning the main cast members. If you're interested, please visit us at facebook.com/saveourvoiceactors

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,059

    Default

    I was fine with Ash staying all the way till the end of DP, but Best Wishes convinced me the show is better off ending Ash's story. Nobody likes Ash regression in BW and this is what we all feared would happen if the show went on a long time.

    Let's put it this way, if Iris and Cilan traveled with a new hero instead of Ash, what difference would it make? Very little, as we wouldn't think of Iris/Cilan as "Ash's friends," but just travel companions for some new trainer.

    Since the writers are wrapping up Team Rocket for good its the perfect time to finally wrap Ash up with.

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Chasing The Sun
    Posts
    826

    Default

    I'm want Ash's storyline to wrap up and then start over with a new storyline and new characters.

    They have like no more room for character development with Ash and his storyline is getting really repetitive now, I really think it would be best to have him leave and start over with a whole new plot and everything.

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Croatia.
    Posts
    2,175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xEryChan View Post
    I'm want Ash's storyline to wrap up and then start over with a new storyline and new characters.

    They have like no more room for character development with Ash and his storyline is getting really repetitive now, I really think it would be best to have him leave and start over with a whole new plot and everything.
    You don't need new character to get new plot and story, because they could just do same with Ash and he certainly has lot of room left to grow forward. He still didn't won league, didn't challenged E4, champion etc not being even close to achievement of pokemon master dream. There are many things left unexplored about his past, such as father who could be introduced at some point being portrayed as master himself having father vs son showdown. Or his connection to Ho-oh being said how this pokemon shows himself only to special trainers out there.

    In DP Lucian himself said how winning champion league is one of steps someone needs to conquer on road of becoming master, but its not only one. So we don't know what other challenges and complex tasks(like Battle Frontier was for example) Ash would need to accomplish before he becomes recognized as strongest trainer in world.

    Way i see it with Ash we could see already experienced trainer who has background behind himself going on bigger tasks reaching higher levels as trainer which means stable and stronger pokemon, deeper development, better battles, opportunity to dive more into someone history etc.
    At least with him there exists requirements to take established character to new, unexpected directions having more complex growth.

    Something you cannot do with rookies who are just starting out having to go through basics all over again.
    Last edited by pokemon fan 132; 6th December 2012 at 11:23 AM.

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Somewhere green
    Posts
    7,778

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xEryChan View Post
    I'm want Ash's storyline to wrap up and then start over with a new storyline and new characters.

    They have like no more room for character development with Ash and his storyline is getting really repetitive now, I really think it would be best to have him leave and start over with a whole new plot and everything.
    The only way I see this happening is if the games scrap the original design of Pokemon and start over fresh in a new universe where Pokemon Gyms and Leagues don't exist and a new form of battle does. No Prof. Oak, no Kanto, no Johto, no Sinnoh, no Hoenn, just a new Pokemon universe with a brand new story and new characters in that universe. If this happened in the games then a real reboot to the show is almost necessary to continue because trying to do a world like that in a old one would be a mess. But I don't see it happening.
    Parena or Serecham both equal Serena+Pancham!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •