Thread: Can you feel the burn? I sure can.

Default Can you feel the burn? I sure can.

It is far too cold in England right now. I thought I would warm myself up with a little summer lovin' from my sunny OU team.

_________

Forretress
    Nature: Relaxed
    Ability: Sturdy
    Item: Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 Sp. Def

Moves:
    -Rapid spin
    -Spikes
    -Toxic spikes
    -Volt switch

Foretress is usually the opener. I send him out at the start of the match, set up with my entry hazard, and then get out of there as quickly as possible with volt switch. Sturdy prevents it from being knocked out, meaning I can at the very least set up hazards even without being able to volt switch out of there. Volt switch also means Forretress is ready to go if needed later on in the match to remove entry hazards with rapid spin, and its high defence keeps it going when against physical attackers. Currently thinking of a replacement for forretress, since it's crippled in sunshine (other than deoxys-d). Suggestions would be appreciated.

Ninetails
    Nature: Timid
    Ability: Drought
    Item: Expert Belt
    EVs: 252 S.att / 4 Sp. Def / 252 Spe

Moves:
    -Fire Blast
    -Solar beam
    -Hidden Power Ground
    -Sunny Day

Usually I will volt switch from forretress to ninetails straight away. The only purpose of this pokemon is to get drought going straight away since ninetails is so depressingly fragile. Thankfully though, ninetails is pretty damn fast so it can at least get some attacks in before burning out. Fire blast powered up with sunshine can be pretty nasty. Solar beam deals with ninetail's water/rock/ground weaknesses. Hidden power ground covers anything else. Lastly, though it seems a little redundant, sunny day is for the offchance that tyranitar or politoed come out to play.

Venusaur
    Nature: Modest
    Ability: Chlorophyll
    Item: Life orb
    EVs: 4HP / 252 Sp. Att / 252 Spe

Moves:
    -Growth
    -Solarbeam
    -Hidden Power Fire
    -Sleep Powder

Venusaur is a beast. The constant sunlight overhead turns this guy into a hyperactive powerhouse thanks to chlorophyll. Sleep powder stops foes in their tracks and will almost always hit first. This allows Growth spam and then it destroy its opponents with STAB one-turn solar beam. Hidden power fire is there to deal with steel types.

Volcarona
    Nature: Timid
    Ability: Flame Body
    Item: Focus Sash
    EVs: 252 Sp. Att / 252 Spe / 4 Sp. Def

Moves:
    -Quiver Dance
    -Hurricane
    -Fiery Dance
    -Giga Drain

Volcarona has focus sash purely because of my bad experiences in the past with this guy being OHKOed by stone edge. Giga drain deals with water, rock and ground type pokemon and means that focus sash isn't just a one-use item. Quiver dance give volcarona a nice sp.att and speed boost and I usally use this as soon as volcarona is sent out. Fiery dance was chosen over fire blast purely because it has the added bonus of boosting volcarona's special attack even more. Hurricane is for the offchance that my set gets ruined by the oh-so-common rain teams.

Jellicent
    Nature: Bold
    Ability: Cursed Body
    Item: Leftovers
    EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe

Moves:
    -Scald
    -Recover
    -Taunt
    -Toxic

Jellicent is one of my favourites. It might seem like a strange choice for a drought team but it fits surprisingly well. I mostly use this pokemon for switching in and stalling. Taunt prevents the opposition from setting up, toxic wears away the opponent and recover keeps jellicent going whilst doing so. Scald is a strong STAB move and also has a chance of burning the opponent and is there instead of will-o-wisp to stop me from being ruined by taunt.

Infernape
    Nature: Hasty
    Ability: Blaze
    Item: Choice Band
    EVs: 252 Att / 252 Spe / 4 Sp. Def

Moves:
    -Close Combat
    -Flare Blitz
    -U-Turn
    -Stone edge

Last but definately not the least bad*** is Infernape. STAB close combat and flare blitz can OHKO pretty much most OU tier pokemon, and constant sunlight overhead makes flareblitz a force to be reconed with even with bulky stallers. Stone edge deals with pokemon that resit infernape's stab moves such as gyarados. U-Turn is used as a hit-and-run attack to get away from checks and counters. If/when iron fist infernape comes to the UK and I buy a new copy of B2, I will probably switch this guy out for one.
    Last edited by Golden_Charmander; 10th December 2012 at 3:45 AM.

Volcarona has focus sash purely because of my bad experiences in the past with this guy being OHKOed by stealth rock.
    This makes no sense at all, Focus Sash proves 0 protection against rocks. In fact, rocks make the Sash useless.

Anyways, I'd recommend Deo-D over Forretress, he gets hazards up more reliably and isn't raped by the Sun. Other than that, this is so standard there's really nothing else I can think of, other than maybe Tentacruel over Jellicent.

You can shoot my body full of holes but ya can't kill the spirit of Rock N' Roll, baby! \m/

since there's no way for me to actually get a deoxys legitimately, that really isn't an option unfortunately.

EDIT: oh and I meant stone edge, not stealth rock. Whurps.
    Last edited by Golden_Charmander; 10th December 2012 at 3:29 AM.

Stealth Rock > Toxic Spikes.
    Ninetales should probably use Solarbeam as Energy Ball won't hit Politoed or Tyranitar for much anyways.
    Infernape should run Jolly as it isn't mixed.
    Bleh, done rating weather teams, always the same thing over and over -\\//-

Shed shell stops forretress being trapped in a corner by magnezone' magnet pull ability.
    Also, this is pointless too because Magnet Pull doesn't stop you from using Volt Switch.

You can shoot my body full of holes but ya can't kill the spirit of Rock N' Roll, baby! \m/

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Retribution View Post
    Also, this is pointless too because Magnet Pull doesn't stop you from using Volt Switch.
    Pretty sure Zone outspeeds Forry with the swift OHKO with HP Fire, especially in sun.

ah, I always thought it did :P will replace it with leftovers then. And btw, I meant stone edge not stealth rock earlier. (oops)

I'll see what I can do about getting hold of a deoxys-d but it doesn't seem likely since I have hardly anything to trade with that I'm willing to let go of. Maybe I'm better off just getting rid of my hazard setter altogether for now.

My infernape is hasty in case I ever want to run a mixape set. I am not breeding and EV training another chimchar. Noooo thank you.
    Last edited by Golden_Charmander; 10th December 2012 at 4:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrocious View Post
    Pretty sure Zone outspeeds Forry with the swift OHKO with HP Fire, especially in sun.
    im pretty sure forretress has sturdy to prevent a ohko. and not all mags carry hp fire. a lot carry hp ice. especially on a subcharge set.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrocious View Post
    Thanks to Sturdy, it doesn't have that chance unless you switch into SR.
    In order to understand my train of thoughts,
    you'll have to put yourself in my position. You can't expect me to think like you because my life ain't like yours; You know what I'm sayin?

- TI, Ready For Whatever
    Paper Trail.

Either way, Zone usage is down I think, haven't checked statistics in awhile so oh well. Forgot about Sturdy but eh, 1HP Forry is dead weight.