Thread: Razor Wind's New OU Team

Threaded View

Default Razor Wind's New OU Team

After consideration, I changed some of my Pokemon due to weakness and resistance issues.

Greetings everyone, my name is Razor Wind and I've just recently finished planning for a new team. Here's my very first RMT thread on serebii. I hope you guys read it carefully and tell me about any mistakes, as the whole point of RMT is to change what is wrong into right

Ok enough with the introduction, let me just cut to the chase.

The Team:

Machamp @ Lum Berry
    Ability: No Guard (This Pokemon won't miss)
    EVs: 240 HP / 248 Atk / 16 SpD / 4 Spe
    Adamant
    - DynamicPunch
    - Bullet Punch
    - Payback
    - Protect

After a pretty long consideration, I've decided to change my lead from Metagross to a Machamp due to weakness and resistance issues. Machamp serves as a decent lead with a good Attack and Defense, this makes Machamp hard to beat unless Special Moves are used. Protect can be used to well... protect, while at the same time knowing what the enemy is trying to do, if necessary, Machamp can be switched into other Pokemon. Dynamic Punch is the main STAB move with the 100% confusing rate. Bullet Punch gives Machamp a priority move to deal with faster but less-bulky enemies. These moves are 100% accurate thanks to the ability, and with a decent 130 Base Attack, this makes Machamp a scary monster to deal with. Payback on the other hand, provides super effective damage to Psychic type Pokemon which Machamp is weak to.

Chansey @ Eviolite
    Ability: Natural Cure (Heals any status ailments upon switching out)
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 DEF / 4 SP.DEF
    Bold
    - Seismic Toss
    - Toxic
    - Wish
    - Protect

Chansey is one of the Special Defense stall thanks to its decent 250 base HP and eviolite. Seismic Toss is pretty straight forward, dealing 100 HP to the enemy. While after some thinking, I've decided to change Stealth Rock to another Pokemon in the team. This would give me an extra spot for Protect. The main purpose of this set is to stall most Special Attack enemy. Wish makes Chansey restore HP the next round, which can be ensured no harm done by the usage of Protect. Wish can also be transferred to other Pokemon in the team, which in my opinion, was better than Softboiled ( Thank you very much Hayabusa, really appreciate it ^.^ )

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Serene Grace (Secondary effect chances are doubled.)
    EVs: 252 Attack 252 Speed 4 SP.DEF
    Adamant
    - Iron Head
    - Ice Punch
    - U-Turn
    - Thunder Punch

It's Jirachi, the wish maker Pokemon. With a Choice Scarf equipped, Iron Head ( Jirachi's primary STAB move) can deal decent damage to the opponents while at the same time, having high odds of making them flinch thanks to its Serene Grace ability. As you may or may not know, Serene Grace doubles the chance of a move's secondary effect, Ice Punch can easily deal with enemies like Dragonite, Gliscor and Landorus, so having an Ice Punch in the moveset isn't bad. Since this is a Choice Scarfed Jirachi, picking a move is important. ThunderPunch can be used to defeat several Water type OUs such as Gyarados and Starmie. U-turn is introduced, when the enemy has attacks and Jirachi is weak to, and Jirachi doesn't have a move to deal with the situation, not only it can hurt the enemy slightly, but also gives Jirachi the chance to switch into...

Latios @ Choice Specs
    Ability: Levitate (Ground moves are immuned)
    EVs: 252 SP.ATK / 252 Speed / 4 HP
    Timid
    - Psyshock
    - Hidden Power (Fire)
    - Surf
    - Draco Meteor

Yup, Latias' most reliable twin brother, Latios. After a brief consideration, I noticed that Jirachi is weak to Fire and Ground, which Latios can resist (Due to its Dragon typing and its Levitate ability). Draco Meteor (140 base power and STAB with the help of Choice Specs), is obviously Latios' primary move. Draco Meteor with Choice Specs equipped can easily OHKO every Dragon Type Pokemon. ( Dragonite after Stealth Rock damage due to its Multiscale ability), as well as hurting other Pokemon as hard and as painful as possibe. Psyshock can deal with Fighting types such as Infernape which at the same time providing physical damage to the enemy. While Hidden Power can deal with walls such as Ferrothorn and Skarmory, it can also be used to deal with Scizor who would otherwise kill Latios. In case you haven't notice, my whole team lacks Water type attacks. Even without STAB, Surf with Choice Specs can even OHKO a Terrakion after Stealth Rock damage, It shows how strong Surf is with the assistance of Choice Specs.

Donphan @ Leftovers
    Ability: Sturdy (Prevents OHKO when user has a full health)
    EVs: 252 HP 252 DEF 4 Attack
    Impish
    - Earthquake
    - Stealth Rock
    - Rapid Spin
    - Ice Shard

The primary purpose of this set is to use a defensive wall to Rapid Spin off Entry Hazards, which my 2 Choiced Pokemon are scared of every time they have to switch to change moves. in certain situations, Donphan can take the opportunity to set up Stealth Rock on the enemy's side. Earthquake serves as a STAB that can deal with Jirachi, even though no EVs are invested in Donphan, it is also good enough to 2H to 3HKO Pokemon that doesn't resist Ground. Ice Shard provides a priority move to deal with Dragon/Flying or Ground/Flying. It can also be used as a last resort before the enemy kills me.

Gengar @ Life Orb
    Ability: Levitate (Ground moves are immuned)
    EVs: 252 SP.ATk / 252 Speed / 4 SP.DEF
    Timid
    - Shadow Ball
    - Pain Split
    - Substitute
    - Focus Blast

The following Pokemon in my team is Gengar. After considering the replies about how Focus Sash doesn't work well with Gengar, I've changed it into Life Orb, which serves as a 10% Attack booster. Shadow Ball is the main STAB move, easily dealing with pure Psychic typed such as Reuniclus. Focus Blast is served to defeat Steel or Rock types such as Lucario. It also provides a slight coverage to Scizor. Substitute uses up 1/4 of Gengar's HP to make a decoy. The wasted HP can be restored by easily using Pain Split on the enemies. Such situations can occur during fights with Chansey.

PROS and CONS
    This team serves perfectly balance in both offensive and defensive, making it a decent team. However, there are still some problems that this team faces frequently.

PROS
    Latios can easily OHKO or 2HKO everything that does not resist Dragon with a Draco Meteor. Even common weather leads such as Tyranitar, Politoed, Ninetales can be OHKO'ed by it. ( Although in some cases Ttar requires 2 Draco Meteors). This team also consists of Machamp that has decent bulk and strong STAB that causes 100% confusion. This Pokemon can come in handy in some situations. There are also walls such as Chansey which serves as a Specially Defensive Wall, there is also Donphan with a Sturdy ability to ensure that Stealth Rock can be safely set up. Rapid Spin can also be used to Spin its way off entry hazards. Jirachi with a good variety of moves, can outspeed others with its Choice Scarf and OHKO - 2HKO enemies with their weaknesses. Gengar can be used to deal with enemies with high HP with the Substitute + Life Orb + Pain Split strategy.

CONS

There is no doubt that this team will face some problems against some strong Steel type Pokemon. There are several weaknesses of this team which this team has to deal with.

With a natural decent bulk, Jirachi poses a thread to this team. Especially in rainy days. During rainy days, Jirachi has plenty of time to set up Calm Mind if they are using the Calm Mind set. Even Choice Specs Latios' Hidden Power Fire is no match in the rain. This provides a problem that Jirachi sets up Calm Mind and easily sweep of my team. In fact, Jirachi's Fire Punch deals less damage comparing to Latios' Hidden Power against the foe's Jirachi. Which Latios' Hidden Power deals about 28% to 33% damage providing it has full HP EV. Which Calm Mind reduces this number more and more.

As aforementioned, raining causes Scizor to able to set up efficiently and sweep using Bullet Punch. The highest Latios can deal to Scizor is about 72% damage which provides Scizor a chance to set up its Swords Dance. After a Swords Dance +2 boost, Scizor's Bullet Punch ( with assistance provided by Technician, Adamant, Life Orb and Evs in attack ) can easily OHKO those who don't resist Steel or weak against steel. Even Chansey is OHKO'ed by SuperPower after a Swords Dance boost. This causes a bad situation for the team to handle.

Suggestions on how to improve the team are always welcomed

Credits:
    1- Smogon for the movesets.
    2- PLDH for providing the sprites and the artworks.
    Last edited by Razor Wind; 10th December 2012 at 11:10 AM.

CLICK TO READ MY FANFICTION NAMED Pokémon Hunting and Investigating Squad (PHIS)