Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: General Video Game Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Phlogiston View Post
    That, and contact with military rations -- or really, any food that's not Mountain Dew or Doritos -- will cause their arteries to crystallize into a very pretty-looking yet quite gross substance that resembles peridot in appearance but is mostly made of fat.
    How'd you forget the Hot Pockets?

Quote Originally Posted by Zibdas View Post
    omg
    This game has been my hidden love for so many years and then I accidentally sold it.
    I thought no one would ever see it for its beauty ;-;
    It will always be one of my favorite games. Like, you expect a game based on a website intended for bored college students (and today, it still is) to be really boring and just kinda blah, but holy crap there is just to much to do. I've been replaying it the past few days and damn, the world is just so large, and all the little hidden paths and sidequests are just exciting and aaaaaa
    I never want to get rid of this game, ever again.

I have never played any of the video games, but I had a huge amount of the cards, back in the day. The website has taken a massive downward turn thanks in no small part to all the ads.
    Yeah, after Viacom bought them out it kinda went downhill, but once you get back into the community and find your niche, it's still a good load of entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Un0va View Post
    No.
    We were playing TF2 together, and he just started so he didn't have any weapons other than stock.
    He chose Sniper, went in and started aiming for body shots without letting the scope charge.
    I was so furious.
    I wish death upon him.

Anyway, which is the best purchase - Grand Theft Auto III, or Morrowind? They're on sale today on Steam, and I've heard both are fantastic.
    Morrowind is pretty much only playable by today's standards with an extreme amount of mods, but it's well worth it. The story is arguably better than both Oblivion and Skyrim, and although the terrain is kinda boring (again, before mods), it's still DEFINITELY worth $5.
    I can't speak for GTAIII, though. The only GTA I've ever sunk a lot of time into is San Andreas.

Quote Originally Posted by Zazie View Post
    Also I don't really know what Neopets are. (Just pointing it out.)

That said
    In an awful summary, it was a website created for bored college kids by a British guy named Adam back in '99, designed to just let you have some imaginary pets, play games, and just screw around. It was bought out by Viacom in '04 or '05, I forget when, and has since gotten both worse, and better, depending on what you look at.
    I've met my closest Internet friends through Neopets, and I have no shame in saying that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    How'd you forget the Hot Pockets?
    Because I'm not sure anything can actually eat hot pockets and not die due to the digestive system screaming in horror.

I think they would handle military rations quite fine, since it's heavilyprocessed high calorie stuff much like their snack food and soda of choice. I was going to get some MRE's for the next anime conventionI go to until I was explained that each meal has more than an entire days worth of calories and is heavily processed.
    Fair point.

Also I don't really know what Neopets are. (Just pointing it out.)
    You're probably better off that way. All those wasted years...

Quote Originally Posted by ArmorAndonomon View Post
    based on a website intended for bored college students (and today, it still is)
    So, which faeries represent which bad college habits? (Even though green faeries usually would be associated with absinthe, I assume that in this series the earth faeries actually represent marijuana.)
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

The usual links

So, which faeries represent which bad college habits? (Even though green faeries usually would be associated with absinthe, I assume that in this series the earth faeries actually represent marijuana.)
    The Craft Faerie is probably clubs and art and stuff, things to just distract you.
    The Fountain Faerie is that group of girls who always huddle together on campus and discuss how to make everyone look better.
    The Water, Fire, and Earth faeries all obviously represent stoners.
    The Air faerie represents those people who just wander around aimlessly, wondering what to do.
    The Battle faerie is that guy who's always lifting or something, and obviously the party animal.
    The Snow faerie represents getting cozy and just forgetting about everything except how hungry you are.
    The Dark faerie represents your future self.
    The Librarian faerie is that kid who actually does their homework, and is a general shut-in.
    The Soup Faerie is just the one who is always going around giving out food to people.
    And Queen Fyora represents your profs, just shaking their heads in despair at what their students have become.

Aaaand this is all the result of a terrible head cold, please excuse these things that I just came up with in a matter of minutes.

Man Amazon has been kick Steam's *** for pretty much the whole winter sales. I bought more off of Amazon than Steam and thats saying something lol. Funny part is that most if not all are activated on Steam.

The Far Cry franchise finally went on sale.. and Far Cry 3 is only 25 percent off. Still a decent price for Far Cry 1, but it's definitely way too high for Far Cry 2.

http://store.steampowered.com/sale/w...arcryfranchise

Mainly because tactics that actually make sense in a real war would probably get you killed in CoD, and vice versa.

Like, I'm sure 360 no-scopes and spawn camping wouldn't work as well in real life.
    Depends really.

The ultra hard focus on aiming down the sights is unrealistic - sorry but come on if someone's emptying an AR clip into you (even from the hip) at point blank range, you're not gonna be able to bring up your own weapon, aim down the sight and shoot them in the head.

And of course health doesn't regenerate in the real world - once you've been shot enough you're gonna bleed out without medical treatment. Not to mention if you get shoot in various places your ability to continue fighting will go out the window (eg the arm).

Snipe-Camping though would work - since that's how snipers and their spotters actually operate in the field, with some movement so the enemy can't zero them and: A) Snipe them or B) Drop artillery on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimsonlink View Post
    Man Amazon has been kick Steam's *** for pretty much the whole winter sales. I bought more off of Amazon than Steam and thats saying something lol. Funny part is that most if not all are activated on Steam.
    To be sure, the Steam Winter Sale doesn't seem as good as the Black Week one was, in terms of the good (i.e. 75+% off) deals. I haven't seen any of the Sonic the Hedgehog titles go below 50% off, for instance.
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

The usual links

To be sure, the Steam Winter Sale doesn't seem as good as the Black Week one was, in terms of the good (i.e. 75+% off) deals. I haven't seen any of the Sonic the Hedgehog titles go below 50% off, for instance.
    Lego Batman hasn't gone below $10, either.
    I'm kinda pissed about that, too. Apparently the PS3 version was on sale on Amazon (which I would have been happy with), and I didn't know about it until a few hours later, when they finally decided to send me an email about it.
    SO MUCH FOR GETTING IT.
    Oh well, maybe the job market will turn around by the Spring sale.
    Looooool.

As far as Amazon vs Steam goes, this is far better than any deal Steam's had so far.

Plus, they're all redeemable on Steam too.

What exactly defines a sandbox game?

I always just considered synonymous with "open world". I don't think it has a strict definition.

A game where you can go where you want, I guess. Something like JC2 or GTAIV.

What exactly defines a sandbox game?
    It's an extreme. A genre that provides as much options and things to do as possible set in a large landscape. It's the type of game where going through it you think 'Can I walk to the horizon? oh cool I can' 'Could I go on a killing spree with nothing but a axe? oh cool I ca--- wait a second there's a dog there. I can tame it? Awesome!' and this train of thought just continues and is encouraged throughout the whole thing.
    I suppose one of the most literal examples is Minecraft. The most basic aim is to survive but you can end up making vast towering castles, portals to hell and walking to a desert and literally building a massive sandbox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huspoel View Post
    You're saying some really smart stuff there.

New Vegas is 5 bucks at GamersGate.

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-FNV/fallout-new-vegas

Is it worth it? Everyone on /v/ says it is but my friend told me it was awful.

I don't know who to trust. ;_;

Don't listen to your friend. I bought New Vegas for $5 last year and it ended up being one of my most-played games on Steam. Five bucks is an amazing deal.

I am kind of wondering what happened to Racing and Extreme Sports games. I used to love playing them back in the Gamecube era, but nowadays they barely get any attention unless it's Gran Turisimo or Forza.

I know the audience for U.S. developed video games can oftentimes have a short memory (the annual seqeuls of most popular games don't help), but it's weird to see certain styles of games completely dissapear from the spotlight like that.

Watch me tumble stuff:
    http://catharsiscat.tumblr.com/

New Vegas is 5 bucks at GamersGate.

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-FNV/fallout-new-vegas

Is it worth it? Everyone on /v/ says it is but my friend told me it was awful.

I don't know who to trust. ;_;
    This is an instance where /v/ is right.
    Listen to /v/.
    Especially if you're getting the DLC with it. If you're not, still get it. Do it do it do it.
    Also go make better friends, you don't need bad influences like that in your life.

I am kind of wondering what happened to Racing and Extreme Sports games. I used to love playing them back in the Gamecube era, but nowadays they barely get any attention unless it's Gran Turisimo or Forza.

I know the audience for U.S. developed video games can oftentimes have a short memory (the annual seqeuls of most popular games don't help), but it's weird to see certain styles of games completely dissapear from the spotlight like that.
    FIFA is huge if that's any consolation

When I think "extreme sports", I think FIFA.

Quote Originally Posted by noobers View Post
    I play it from time to times at my friend's house. It's rather dull. But I do liven it up by making all my players try to body slam his, making both of them out. He hates it though.

FUCKING GABEN JUST PUT LEGO BATMAN ON SALE ALREADY THERE'S ONLY ONE DAY LEFT FOR SALES AAAAA
    okay I'm better now

Quote Originally Posted by noobers View Post
    I think of Tiger Woods Golf.
    Can't get more extreme than being a playa.

FIFA is huge if that's any consolation
    I was thinking more of skateboarding and snowboarding games actually. FIFA would fall under a regular sports game.

Maybe I am just old and people don't use extreme sport to describe those things like they did in the past.
    Last edited by Zazie; 5th January 2013 at 1:57 AM.

Watch me tumble stuff:
    http://catharsiscat.tumblr.com/

Welp, Sony's filing a patent for an application that's gonna block used games.

Things ain't looking good for the former tech giant.
        Spoiler:- Want my Friend Code?:

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Heaper View Post
    Welp, Sony's filing a patent for an application that's gonna block used games.

Things ain't looking good for the former tech giant.
    That was a rumor for the next Xbox to have that, too.
    Because running the rental/used industries out of business is totally going to go over well.
    "HEY JIMMY I GOT THIS COOL NEW GAME!"
    "That's awesome, Timmy, let's play it on my new-gen Playstation!"
    "THIS GAME CANNOT BE PLAYED ON THIS PLAYSTATION BECAUSE IT IS OWNED BY ANOTHER PERSON. EXTERMINATE."
    And then the children wept.

Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast