Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: General Video Game Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by ArmorAndonomon View Post
    That was a rumor for the next Xbox to have that, too.
    Because running the rental/used industries out of business is totally going to go over well.
    "HEY JIMMY I GOT THIS COOL NEW GAME!"
    "That's awesome, Timmy, let's play it on my new-gen Playstation!"
    "THIS GAME CANNOT BE PLAYED ON THIS PLAYSTATION BECAUSE IT IS OWNED BY ANOTHER PERSON. EXTERMINATE."
    And then the children wept.
    I honestly doubt that the Xbox is gonna do this, it's a bit of a bonehead move if you ask me.

Sony is alienating a portion of the market which buys games for cheap, meaning used. Plus, years down the road, some kid is gonna have that new system and wanna play one of the games that first came out for the system. However, the game is no longer in production and the only copies available are on Ebay for triple the price. That, or game stores are gonna have to carry at least one copy of every new game that comes out on the system, yeesh that'll take up a lot of space.

Maybe I'm looking too far into this, but it's still pretty boneheaded. I can see Sony's game division going under in a couple years.

Also, pirates will find a way around it, they ALWAYS do.
    Last edited by Recon; 5th January 2013 at 2:09 AM.
        Spoiler:- Want my Friend Code?:

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Heaper View Post
    Sony is alienating a portion of the market which buys games for cheap, meaning used. Plus, years down the road, some kid is gonna have that new system and wanna play one of the games that first came out for the system. However, the game is no longer in production and the only copies available are on Ebay for triple the price. That, or game stores are gonna have to carry at least one copy of every new game that comes out on the system, yeesh that'll take up a lot of space.
    That's a problem that already exists now. It is much easier to fix it with digital distribution as that would ensure everyone can get a copy if they want.

I am also not sure that Sony would actually try to implement the patent, or whether or not various legal systems in different countries will allow it. (and companies like gamefly and gamestop certainly aren't about to let Sony try to do it without a fight either)

I am more concerned with the general idea of pushing games away from things you buy to own, towards things you buy the right to play. And this kind of thing is pushing things more toward the latter.

Watch me tumble stuff:
    http://catharsiscat.tumblr.com/

FUCKING GABEN JUST PUT LEGO BATMAN ON SALE ALREADY THERE'S ONLY ONE DAY LEFT FOR SALES AAAAA
    okay I'm better now
    heh, I got the game for free since the cashier took the game out of the case but forgot to charge me for it.

Welp, Sony's filing a patent for an application that's gonna block used games.
    I don't think Sony is that stupid to actually carry out in practice and if they do then I doubt the retail market will be happy about that.

Things ain't looking good for the former tech giant.
    Yeah well that what happens when you make bad business decision.

"Now Count up your Sins"- Kamen Rider W

Quote Originally Posted by Clamps View Post
    And here we have GAMEFREAK EMPLOYEE Blaze Boy confirming once again that Red/Blue/Yellow/Green/ and Gold/Silver/Crystal will not be on the 3DS virtual console E-shop!

You heard it hear first, folks.
    ^ Best post ever.

twitter: http://twitter.com/SamuraiDon

Quote Originally Posted by blaze boy View Post
    I don't think Sony is that stupid to actually carry out in practice and if they do then I doubt the retail market will be happy about that.
    The retail market is already crying about it. Just look at the comments on major gaming websites.

This is an instance where /v/ is right.
    Listen to /v/.
    Especially if you're getting the DLC with it. If you're not, still get it. Do it do it do it.
    Also go make better friends, you don't need bad influences like that in your life.
    I got it. My wallet looks grim, though.

I have so many games to play, damn. I bought Rome: Total War and I don't even like strategy games.
    Welp, Sony's filing a patent for an application that's gonna block used games.

Things ain't looking good for the former tech giant.
    They also filed a patent for an application that plays commercials during breaks in games.

I think mostly they do it just so that Microsoft and Nintendo can't.

Quote Originally Posted by Zazie View Post
    That's a problem that already exists now. It is much easier to fix it with digital distribution as that would ensure everyone can get a copy if they want.

I am also not sure that Sony would actually try to implement the patent, or whether or not various legal systems in different countries will allow it. (and companies like gamefly and gamestop certainly aren't about to let Sony try to do it without a fight either)

I am more concerned with the general idea of pushing games away from things you buy to own, towards things you buy the right to play. And this kind of thing is pushing things more toward the latter.
    A digital distribution only market isn't actually that bad an idea for the customer, as in theory it means an infinite supply -- unless, of course, the companies are dickholes and decide to start taking things off the market. Like how the Donkey Kong Country games are gone from the Nintendo eShop.

However, I suspect that's probably actually due to Rare working for Microsoft, even though the Rare of today is decidedly not the rare of the early 90s. Blah blah blah soapboxing horseshit.

That said, though, I do agree, that this is really... kind of depersonalizing, too, in addition to enormously harmful to many businesses and almost hopefully a death sentence for this company as a part of the gaming industry due to sheer backlash.

I still would rather funnel my money toward that than Hotline Miami, though.
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

The usual links

Quote Originally Posted by Phlogiston View Post
    I still would rather funnel my money toward that than Hotline Miami, though.

First Binding of Isaac, now this? Do you just go through my Steam library and find games that I enjoyed to consider bad?

In all seriousness, though, I thought Hotline Miami was fun as hell.

No, I just have better different taste than most people do and, as such, a lot of indie games just don't appeal to me.

The usual links

I wouldn't look too much into the Sony patent. All the major game sites are talking about it because there is other news to talk about right now. If Sony does implement the patent then they will suffer the consequences. Its not like the system is set in stone.

Anyways my bank is near empty thanks to Steam and mostly Amazon. Class starts next week for me too so not much time to play through my backlog. >.>^

Aren't they also hurting economically for other reasons (e.g. the Vita) right now, too?

The usual links

Aren't they also hurting economically for other reasons (e.g. the Vita) right now, too?
    It's like they WANT to go out of business. :u
    But yeah, everything they're making is hurting right now; Vita, PS3, TVs, BluRay players, etc. They just hate themselves, at this point.

If a ban on used games is going to come into effect then it will have to be a co-ordinated move by the console makers - otherwise the introducer will effectively commit commercial suicide, because gamers will go to the other systems. And then you gotta remember that there are laws in place to protect consumers from companies working in lock step like that...

Therefore I just can't see such a ban coming into place.

Off topic, but you know who really wants to go out of business? EA.

Apparently the new SimCity game will not only have always-online DRM, but the game will actually offload portions of the GlassBox engine onto the servers, meaning that if your internet connection went down, it would be physically impossible to play the game for more than a few minutes. Not to mention that EA's label boss has never let a single game be greenlighted without some form of online connection, since of course EA knows better than you about what you should be playing.

I can't think of a more effective way to drive away customers barring hunting down and murdering anyone naive enough to buy the game.

So I couldn't find a copy of Lego Batman on Amazon for under $15 with a case, but I found a brand new copy of 3D Dot Game Heroes for $10, so all is good in the universe.
    For now.

Quote Originally Posted by Un0va View Post

Apparently the new SimCity game will not only have always-online DRM, but the game will actually offload portions of the GlassBox engine onto the servers, meaning that if your internet connection went down, it would be physically impossible to play the game for more than a few minutes. Not to mention that EA's label boss has never let a single game be greenlighted without some form of online connection, since of course EA knows better than you about what you should be playing.

I can't think of a more effective way to drive away customers barring hunting down and murdering anyone naive enough to buy the game.
    I can't think of anything more infuriating than always-on Online for a single player game. Like, when I was trapped in my hotel room for a month and a half, I had almost no Internet connection. I never shut off my PC so that Steam would allow me to play games offline. It's like.
    Aasdgasdgasdg.
    That's the best way I can describe it.
    Like. I paid for my game. Let me play it how I please.

You know if Sony does out of business, then the console market will drastically change since it will become a horse race between Microsoft and Nintendo. As much I love Nintendo I don't see them winning against Microsoft thus giving them a monopoly which isn't a good thing.

That is unless another company, like Samsung, throws their hat into the ring.

Crap like that is why I don't buy any game that is published by EA, I just don't trust them nor do I like them as a company.

"Now Count up your Sins"- Kamen Rider W

Quote Originally Posted by Clamps View Post
    And here we have GAMEFREAK EMPLOYEE Blaze Boy confirming once again that Red/Blue/Yellow/Green/ and Gold/Silver/Crystal will not be on the 3DS virtual console E-shop!

You heard it hear first, folks.
    ^ Best post ever.

twitter: http://twitter.com/SamuraiDon

You know if Sony does out of business, then the console market will drastically change since it will become a horse race between Microsoft and Nintendo. As much I love Nintendo I don't see them winning against Microsoft thus giving them a monopoly which isn't a good thing.

That is unless another company, like Samsung, throws their hat into the ring.
    As much as I like Nintendo I don't see them winning the console war either. They do however have a strong holding in the handheld market which is keeping them afloat.

I would also assume that Microsoft knows that having a monopoly is bad. By creating one invincible company, the work ethic of the company would be compromised, which ill eventually lead to it's fall. In this case, that would be Microsoft's game division.

As for a company throwing their ht into the ring, I can think of Valve doing something, especially that they have those Steam-enabled PCs that they announced a while back.

Yeah, Microsoft has almost infinite money and a direct access line to Satan. They could probably pull this one out if they wanted to.

My money's also on Valve as the extra leg, though.

The usual links

Yeah, Microsoft has almost infinite money and a direct access line to Satan. They could probably pull this one out if they wanted to.

My money's also on Valve as the extra leg, though.
    Well Microsoft is also trying to become Apple and kicking out other people so that might bite them in the ***. For example their Surface tablet and Windows 8 Phone OS. Said Phone OS is DOA as almost no one is buying them.

Steambox might do well but I'd wait and see how Ouya is doing before judging on the Steambox.

As for Sony, again nothing is concrete. If the world economy and the money exchange situation wasn't so terrible Sony might not have been in such a terrible position. Also they have gone down a lot so they should be back in the profit zone. I'd hate to have a Microsoft and Nintendo consoles only world.

Crap like that is why I don't buy any game that is published by EA, I just don't trust them nor do I like them as a company.
    The biggest reason I don't trust EA with it is because they could very well shut down the servers a year or two from now and it would be impossible to play the game again without a fully functioning engine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimsonlink View Post
    Steambox might do well but I'd wait and see how Ouya is doing before judging on the Steambox.
    The OUYA looks honestly like one of the biggest flops of the generation. All of the power of a phone with the portability of a console.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimsonlink View Post

Ouya seems like it's going to flop, and it's going to flop HARD.
    I understand that it's supposed to be a portable, low-powered system, the first all-download console, but that is NOT what we need in this current market to shake things up. What we could really use is a console that gives you the ability to upgrade more than just the hard drive. Maybe you could throw a better graphics card in there (NON PROPRIETARY, JESUS CHRIST IMAGINE THE PRICES) some extra RAM, something where your console won't be obsolete to current technology within a year. Something where a developer doesn't have to dumb down their idea so little Timmy can play it on his Xbox 1080 360SCOPE. The upgrades, obviously, won't be necessary to purchase; you can easily play any game on it with no problems, just like playing a game on Medium/Low on a PC. The ability to customize, though could lead to greater things for the next consoles. Motion gimmicks just aren't it.
    Also who the hell puts a fan in a sealed case with no exhaust. A dumbass, that's who.

Ouya seems like it's going to flop, and it's going to flop HARD.
    I understand that it's supposed to be a portable, low-powered system, the first all-download console, but that is NOT what we need in this current market to shake things up. What we could really use is a console that gives you the ability to upgrade more than just the hard drive. Maybe you could throw a better graphics card in there (NON PROPRIETARY, JESUS CHRIST IMAGINE THE PRICES) some extra RAM, something where your console won't be obsolete to current technology within a year. Something where a developer doesn't have to dumb down their idea so little Timmy can play it on his Xbox 1080 360SCOPE. The upgrades, obviously, won't be necessary to purchase; you can easily play any game on it with no problems, just like playing a game on Medium/Low on a PC. The ability to customize, though could lead to greater things for the next consoles. Motion gimmicks just aren't it.
    Also who the hell puts a fan in a sealed case with no exhaust. A dumbass, that's who.
    They did similar upgrades quite a bit in the 90s. You could add hardware chips to cartridges for games the hardware couldn't otherwise handle. The NES has a floppy disc add on. There were CD add-ons for the Genesis and Turbografx and N64 for greater game memory and better sound. And RAM expansions for the Turbografx CD, Saturn and N64 as well as ROM expansions for 2 Saturn games. And the Genesis even got a modular hardware upgrade with the 32x. Most were required to run the games that used them, but the N64 RAM expansion was mostly optional. I think they mostly stopped doing them because console hardware got good enough where they were not longer quite as necessary.

What you are asking for is pretty much a PC, so I don't understand what exactly it is you want.

Watch me tumble stuff:

Quote Originally Posted by Zazie View Post
    What you are asking for is pretty much a PC, so I don't understand what exactly it is you want.
    That's the thing - the PC is pretty much already an "open" console. The OUYA doesn't really have a place in the current market other than being a low-priced console, and even then it still falls pretty flat seeing as it'll have a weak game selection and they'll all look and run much worse than they would on any other console.

That's the thing - the PC is pretty much already an "open" console. The OUYA doesn't really have a place in the current market other than being a low-priced console, and even then it still falls pretty flat seeing as it'll have a weak game selection and they'll all look and run much worse than they would on any other console.
    I was referring to what Armorandonomon was suggesting, though it could be applied to the OUYA too.

Personally I like the idea of of having a cheap affordable way of playing more traditional console style games. Whether the OUYA is a good way of achieving that end remains to be seen. (Personally Steam for Linux seems to be my best bet right now)

Watch me tumble stuff:

Oh man I still remember trying to play Majora's Mask on the N64 and got a message telling me I need a expansion pack. I mean wtf as the little me lol. I got lucky because my uncle managed to get one for me along with a walkthrough.

For some reason I seem to recall looking at the Ouya and thinking that it would not have enough screen surface to make it usable as a handheld device, and now, looking at it

AHAHAHAHAHA ARE YOU SERIOUS

A gig of RAM? Eight gigs of storage space? Even if its introductory price point is only $100, that is, compared to current systems, a piece of ****. PLUS you'd need to connect it to a bunch of **** in order to actually play with it, in which case, why not just use an established console? I can't see anyone wanting this except as a novelty item.

The usual links

Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast