Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: General Video Game Discussion

The ESRB, like most ratings boards, is a little drunk at the wheel anyway. They don't deserve more power.
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

The usual links

Quote Originally Posted by ArmorAndonomon View Post
    Except it will matter.
    Think about it, a big part of popular gaming these days is online multiplayer. However, online content isn't rated by the ESRB. Potentially, this could eliminate that completely. It also could cut into what content is and isn't allowed in video games. You like your anime games, right? Oh, that character has a weapon that looks like a gun, let's not localize it because it promotes violence, or give it a higher rating because of said violence.
    DLC will also probably be cracked down on as well, considering it will need to have a rating on it to be sold.

Of course, this is all purely speculation, but with how censorship is going, you never know.
    That, and theoretically this would ban any imported games, since they're given ratings by other groups like PEGI and such.

If we're gonna talk theoretically, then I guess it would also ban the sale of games that predate the ESRB system.

How am I going to play my violent educational murder simulators now?

I guess you'll just have to do things the ordinary way -- without simulation.

The usual links

Going out and murdering someone in an educational fashion?

Government is really gonna ***** now.

That was one about banning the sales of games to underaged kids. This is banning/outlawing the sale of games all together, so loopholes.
    No, just no. Video games were ruled to be free speech so they simply cannot be banned/outlawed/censored, period. The government is just being ridiculous right now because they want to blame Sandy Hook on something other than the United States' terrible mental health care, but this wave will be over soon (until the next tragedy).

Quote Originally Posted by noobers View Post
    If we're gonna talk theoretically, then I guess it would also ban the sale of games that predate the ESRB system.

Holy **** Treasure Mountain. Dat nostalgic feel.
    Last edited by Ampy; 21st January 2013 at 7:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by noobers View Post

(Large Image)

I owned every single one of those.
    I am not ashamed.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFlame View Post
    No, just no. Video games were ruled to be free speech so they simply cannot be banned/outlawed/censored, period. The government is just being ridiculous right now because they want to blame Sandy Hook on something other than the United States' terrible mental health care, but this wave will be over soon (until the next tragedy).
    Except it's not going to go away, because the public feels they finally have something they can firmly pin the blame on, because remember mental illness is just a cry for attention and can be dealt with by telling the person to either feel better, or a smack to the face.

In non-censorship related things I bought Ni no Kuni today and I'm enjoying it just way too much.

You know, at the rate of idiots in the world right now, I have this strange feeling Idiocracy is a warning about our future based on current events.

Except it's not going to go away, because the public feels they finally have something they can firmly pin the blame on, because remember mental illness is just a cry for attention and can be dealt with by telling the person to either feel better, or a smack to the face.
    I'd love to try it on these congressmen, let me tell you.

Then again, I play a cadre of violent video games, and I think I'm a lot less likely to snap, and even be angry, and really, the main time I've been angry at a game was Metal Gear Solid for treating my heart like a football.

People will have to give up the ghost once somebody high enough up remembers that, oh right, they're protected speech; further pushes won't do anything. But I guess that people don't understand that the first amendment rights are those most important to a free state.

Okay, they probably won't give it up. Oh well. Those fascists will just have to go on and keep being the spiritual enemies of America.

The usual links

I think it's kind of funny that people are still complaining about violent video games considering:

a) The really over the top stuff like Postal and Manhunt aren't being made anymore

b) The most popular violent video games now generally depict much more socially acceptable forms of violence. If someone was to decide to actually go out and imitate Call of Duty, most of U.S. society at least, would at the very least be okay with it. Since you know that would mean joining the military.

Then again violence debate didn't really make much sense in the past either. (Mortal Kombat wasn't even something you could try to imitate)

Watch me tumble stuff:
    http://catharsiscat.tumblr.com/

Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem.
    holy whoa

Quote Originally Posted by Phlogiston View Post
    I'd love to try it on these congressmen, let me tell you.

Then again, I play a cadre of violent video games, and I think I'm a lot less likely to snap, and even be angry, and really, the main time I've been angry at a game was Metal Gear Solid for treating my heart like a football.

People will have to give up the ghost once somebody high enough up remembers that, oh right, they're protected speech; further pushes won't do anything. But I guess that people don't understand that the first amendment rights are those most important to a free state.

Okay, they probably won't give it up. Oh well. Those fascists will just have to go on and keep being the spiritual enemies of America.
    I know what you mean. I've been playing video games since I was about three or four, and many of the ones I did play around that age and up (Wolfenstien, Blake Stone, Doom) were INCREDIBLY violent, as did many of my friends, though they started later than I did. I think the farthest I ever saw it taken was during recess when a group of kids had a "live action Quake match," and by that I mean they just ran around the playground yelling "RATATATATATATA," pretending to shoot at eachother.
    Because that's what kids do.
    This does not make them serial killers. It makes them kids.

And really, kids are exposed to a lot of violence these days? Talk to the kids who grew up during either World War, or Vietnam. Oh, and don't we remember how for CENTURIES that public executions, by hanging and firing squad, were FAMILY AFFAIRS, and seen as a great way to spend a day? By watching people get murdered? Because simulated violence is SO MUCH WORSE.

Quote Originally Posted by Zibdas View Post
    holy whoa
    It's the most beautiful thing I have ever seen and I need it now.
    That's it, Nintendo, FINE I'LL GET A WIIU.
    STOP PLAYING WITH MY HEART.

I know what you mean. I've been playing video games since I was about three or four, and many of the ones I did play around that age and up (Wolfenstien, Blake Stone, Doom) were INCREDIBLY violent, as did many of my friends, though they started later than I did. I think the farthest I ever saw it taken was during recess when a group of kids had a "live action Quake match," and by that I mean they just ran around the playground yelling "RATATATATATATA," pretending to shoot at eachother.
    Because that's what kids do.
    This does not make them serial killers. It makes them kids.
    You had some pretty badass playground games. The only game there was at my (First) school was "punch-the-nerd." I was the nerd

And really, kids are exposed to a lot of violence these days? Talk to the kids who grew up during either World War, or Vietnam. Oh, and don't we remember how for CENTURIES that public executions, by hanging and firing squad, were FAMILY AFFAIRS, and seen as a great way to spend a day? By watching people get murdered? Because simulated violence is SO MUCH WORSE.
    Also, domestic violence in general. I'm sure that playing Ratchet and Clank is still a million times worse for your psyche than watching your dad beat your mom to a bloody pulp on a nightly basis.

The usual links

You had some pretty badass playground games. The only game there was at my (First) school was "punch-the-nerd." I was the nerd
    Oh no, I never got to play, I sat under the jungle gym waiting for a port to the Digital World to appear nearly every day, or played my Gameboy.
    I was a lonely child.

Also, domestic violence in general. I'm sure that playing Ratchet and Clank is still a million times worse for your psyche than watching your dad beat your mom to a bloody pulp on a nightly basis.
    Of course it is! Beating things senselessly with an over-sized wrench, SHOOTING THINGS with over-sized and gaudy weaponry, and don't get me STARTED on all of the SEXUAL INNUENDOS for titles! DISGUSTING. It will turn your child into a senseless, tasteless, sex-craving murderer.

Pre ordered Tales of Xillia yesterday soo excited to hear a release date ^_^

That's it, Nintendo, FINE I'LL GET A WIIU.
    STOP PLAYING WITH MY HEART.
    WiiU has no gamez.

Quote Originally Posted by Zibdas View Post
    holy whoa
    Cool, now the Persona kids can buy something else to giggle about the things they misinterpreted as gay subtext. Awesome.

And apparently there's what might be Xenoblade 2, which means I can get told about another game I "should play" without a legit reason. Maybe they'll rave about art style like they did with Ni no Kuni, despite the argument NOT LONG AGO being that graphics don't matter.

The usual links

You should play Xenoblade because it's good.

That is the reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    WiiU has no gamez.
    Which is why I'm holding off, for now.
    It feels silly to buy a console for just one game. Although Bayonetta 2 is a very tempting reason as well.

Cool, now the Persona kids can buy something else to giggle about the things they misinterpreted as gay subtext. Awesome.
    That feel when you enjoy both the main SMT games and the Persona spin offs and don't get all the pandering. Then again, I don't really understand all the pandering any of my other fandoms get, so. Maybe I'm just immune to it.

And apparently there's what might be Xenoblade 2, which means I can get told about another game I "should play" without a legit reason. Maybe they'll rave about art style like they did with Ni no Kuni, despite the argument NOT LONG AGO being that graphics don't matter.
    I still haven't played Xenoblade yet. THIS BACKLOG MAN.
    THIS BACKLOG.
    IT JUST KEEPS GROWING

You should play Xenoblade because it's good.

That is the reason.
    But why is it "good"? If you cannot say, then you have no real ground to stand on, now do you?

The usual links

So, everyone, remember Dead Space? That series that used to be good and not fucked by EA? The one that was great both on consoles and PCs?

Well, apparently the PC version will be a direct console port.

http://games.on.net/2013/01/dead-spa...eatures-added/

And there are micro transactions for buying better weapons.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...better-weapons

And don't forget the Origin exclusivity! Yippee!

I actually want to cry right now. DS3 could have been so good.

On a lighter note, apparently GameStop is selling 6 of the DnD games for 11.24, including Neverwinter Knights and Planescape. Is it worth it if I already own Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 on GOG?
    Last edited by Abstinence Pistols; 23rd January 2013 at 8:10 PM.

WiiU has no gamez.
    Trollolol

It is called research learn to do it k?

Quote Originally Posted by Un0va View Post
    So, everyone, remember Dead Space? That series that used to be good and not fucked by EA? The one that was great both on consoles and PCs?
    Vaguely?

Well, apparently the PC version will be a direct console port.
    why

And there are micro transactions for buying better weapons.
    again, why

And don't forget the Origin exclusivity! Yippee!

I actually want to cry right now. DS3 could have been so good.
    Good lord. EA, sit and spin already.

On a lighter note, apparently GameStop is selling 6 of the DnD games for 11.24, including Neverwinter Knights and Planescape. Is it worth it if I already own Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 on GOG?
    Are they bound to your computer/are you unable to give away the ones you already have? If you can give away what you've already got, hell yes, that's something you can use. If not... approach with trepidation, but two games for $12 is a decent deal.

That feel when you enjoy both the main SMT games and the Persona spin offs and don't get all the pandering. Then again, I don't really understand all the pandering any of my other fandoms get, so. Maybe I'm just immune to it.
    I just think that a lot of things about what's been happening with Persona 4 after the release of the game bugged me. From the Naoto novel's characterization to the Adachi link in Golden to the very existence of Golden...

But then again, expanded reissues of games I already own piss me off.

The usual links

WiiU has no gamez.
    the only WiiU game id buy would Be smash bros

Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast