Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: General Video Game Discussion

To their credit, Treyarch has actually done a pretty good job with their side of the CoD games. They're far from perfect, but they've tried to stray away from the modern military simulator for the most part, and worked on making a better campaign and new multiplayer innovations much more than Infinity Ward has.

I seem to recall Treyarch doing some very good games way back when; at the very least, I loved their first Spider-Man game. Played very nicely.

Speaking of FPSes, what's the best one overall?
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

The usual links

CoD 2 is the best one.

Quote Originally Posted by Street Comedy View Post
    I don't like it solely because of the fact it gets SO much attention, even 9 year olds play Call of Duty. So many other games deserve the attention Call of Duty gets, games that take teamwork and effort to be good at them. Games such as Dota 2, Counter Strike, Team Fortress 2, and Arma 2 come to mind. But no, since today's society likes taking the easy way out, the easy games such as Call of Duty will be the most popular. Damn shame, so many games are just left in the dust while Call of Duty claims the #1 spot every year. And it's even more annoying when lots of people only play CoD and nothing else, seriously there's tons of games out there that are better than CoD.
    I like TF2, but it's pretty funny to see it being compared to games like Dota and CS in terms of skill. It's probably closer to Call of Duty than it is to any of those other games (never played Arma, so not sure about that). And I've definitely seen my fair share of children playing TF2.

I could swear that most of the people playing TF2 that I've seen on pubs have been well below the age barrier of "17 years old" that that game is supposed to have...

The usual links

Quote Originally Posted by Phlogiston View Post

There isn't one. There is a pretty big difference between a realistic, tactics focused military FPS like Rainbow 6, a crazy Bulletfest like Serious Sam, and a mostly exploration focused game like Metroid Prime. And a lot of games can blur between these and other specific substyles. The best FPS is definitely going to depend on ones preferences.

My personal favorite is probably Timesplitter's Future Perfect.

Watch me tumble stuff:
    http://catharsiscat.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Zazie View Post
    There isn't one.
    Yes there is. Goldeneye for the n64.

System Shock 2 and Quake 3 Arena are the correct answers.
    Quote Originally Posted by noobers View Post
    I like TF2, but it's pretty funny to see it being compared to games like Dota and CS in terms of skill. It's probably closer to Call of Duty than it is to any of those other games (never played Arma, so not sure about that). And I've definitely seen my fair share of children playing TF2.
    What are you talking about? Of course TF2 requires ski-

Welp.

Halo.

Anyways, has anyone played brink lately? God I hate that game.
    White friend code: 0347 5916 2191
    Black 2 friend code: 0820 1802 1694

Guys, this guy has officially claimed Master Chief.

And he joined 3 days ago.

I don't really understand why people care about "claiming" their favorite games/movies/shows/bishies/whatever. The fact that it's his only post and he hasn't been online since he posted is kinda funny, though.

Any FPS made by Valve
    TF2 has an incredibly high skill ceiling, try headshotting a scout who frantically jumps around as Sniper. Try pogo hopping as Soldier using your rocket jump ability. Try pulling off an air shot with a rocket/pipe bomb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Un0va View Post

Welp.
    Ah, the Pomson, once regarded as the most OP weapon in the game.

Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Quote Originally Posted by ImAnOKIE12 View Post
    Halo.

Anyways, has anyone played brink lately? God I hate that game.

How can someone have taste this abysmal.

How.

Quote Originally Posted by NintendoCoke View Post
    If Activison announces one more Call of Dogshit, I'm gonna quit video games.
    The millions of people still playing CoD don't give a damn.

Quote Originally Posted by Street Comedy View Post
    TF2 has an incredibly high skill ceiling, try headshotting a scout who frantically jumps around as Sniper. Try pogo hopping as Soldier using your rocket jump ability. Try pulling off an air shot with a rocket/pipe bomb.
    Snipers are typically ill-suited for fighting Scouts, a class that moves very quickly and excels in close-range combat. Obviously a Sniper would be at a disadvantage. Snipers don't really have a place in TF2 comp play, so this is kinda irrelevant anyway. And things like expert rocket jumping and airshots don't really match up to the depth found in Dota or Counter-Strike.

Welp.
    what the **** is hit detection anyway

The usual links

Snipers are typically ill-suited for fighting Scouts, a class that moves very quickly and excels in close-range combat. Obviously a Sniper would be at a disadvantage. Snipers don't really have a place in TF2 comp play, so this is kinda irrelevant anyway. And things like expert rocket jumping and airshots don't really match up to the depth found in Dota or Counter-Strike.
    Snipers do have a small role in comp as a surprise tactic to pick off a big threat.

And Dota and Counter Strike are defiently harder than TF2, but that doesn't mean TF2 is easy.

It's F2P, nice try.

And I apologize for my Anti-CoD hate earlier, sometimes I let YouTube comments get to my head.

And for Best FPS, Half-Life/Half-Life: Opposing Force/Half-Life: Blue Shift/Black Mesa.
    Last edited by NintendoCoke; 26th January 2013 at 1:17 AM.

Welp.
    I don't see a problem here, it's obviously hitting him. You guys must be blind or something...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Chaos View Post
    I don't see a problem here, it's obviously hitting him. You guys must be blind or something...
    what the **** is hit detection anyway
    IIRC, because it's technically a projectile the game uses the same hitboxes for every class. It's the same reason the Huntsman is so broken - the headshot window is exactly the same for a crouching Engineer, a jumping Heavy, and everything in between.
    And for Best FPS, Half-Life/Half-Life: Opposing Force/Half-Life: Blue Shift/Black Mesa.
    But Blue Shift, Opposing Force, and Black Mesa all play completely differently from each other.

It's F2P, nice try.
    It used to cost like $30.

Then everything changed when the Uber Update attacked.

IIRC, because it's technically a projectile the game uses the same hitboxes for every class. It's the same reason the Huntsman is so broken - the headshot window is exactly the same for a crouching Engineer, a jumping Heavy, and everything in between.
    By broken do you mean overpowered, buggy, or a stupid concept.

The Huntsman sure isn't OP.
    Last edited by Interference; 26th January 2013 at 3:13 AM.

But Blue Shift, Opposing Force, and Black Mesa all play completely differently from each other.
    Yeah, but they're all part of my 2nd favorite video game series.

Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    Which has aged horribly. My votes going to have to go to Bioshock or Metroid Prime here as far as single player goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    I'm gonna have to agree with Ampy on this one. I've got some very nostalgic memories playing Goldeneye but now it plays like crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Ignika View Post
    Guys, this guy has officially claimed Master Chief.

And he joined 3 days ago.
    Good for him.

I don't really understand why people care about "claiming" their favorite games/movies/shows/bishies/whatever. The fact that it's his only post and he hasn't been online since he posted is kinda funny, though.
    I claimed my stuff in the new threads in this section.

I don't even know why.

It's F2P, nice try.
    How does being F2P prove that children don't play it? If anything it seems like a reason why they would play it. Children don't make that much money last I checked.

And I apologize for my Anti-CoD hate earlier, sometimes I let YouTube comments get to my head.
    Protip: Don't read YouTube comments. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Ampy View Post
    Which has aged horribly. My votes going to have to go to Bioshock or Metroid Prime here as far as single player goes.
    Metroid Prime would be my pick.

Got Anarchy Reigns today. Tbh I'm a little disappointed in it. I love Platinum and this title is as cool and action packed as anything else they've put out, but on the technical side of things it looks pretty bad. Terrible pop-in textures, poor modeling and texturing all around, there's just a lack of polish. That's okay though, I can excuse bad graphics if it plays well. But it seems to have some issues. You can pretty much spam Y to juggle someone over and over again and they won't be able to get out of it. Characters won't turn around if they're locked on to a target when you initiate an attack so you end up missing. And in one match I played the camera went above the ceiling and I couldn't see crap. Maybe I'm missing something, I dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by Charizard Champion#06 View Post
    I'm gonna have to agree with Ampy on this one. I've got some very nostalgic memories playing Goldeneye but now it plays like crap.

Good for him.

I claimed my stuff in the new threads in this section.

I don't even know why.

How does being F2P prove that children don't play it? If anything it seems like a reason why they would play it. Children don't make that much money last I checked.

I meant that was the reason children do play it.

Protip: Don't read YouTube comments. Ever.

They should really make an option to just block the comments

Metroid Prime would be my pick.

Got Anarchy Reigns today. Tbh I'm a little disappointed in it. I love Platinum and this title is as cool and action packed as anything else they've put out, but on the technical side of things it looks pretty bad. Terrible pop-in textures, poor modeling and texturing all around, there's just a lack of polish. That's okay though, I can excuse bad graphics if it plays well. But it seems to have some issues. You can pretty much spam Y to juggle someone over and over again and they won't be able to get out of it. Characters won't turn around if they're locked on to a target when you initiate an attack so you end up missing. And in one match I played the camera went above the ceiling and I couldn't see crap. Maybe I'm missing something, I dunno.
    Replies in bold.

Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast