Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: General Video Game Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    E3 can't get here soon enough, there's barely anything good that's been announced for the past year or two.
    Speak for yourself. There's been a lot that that enthralled me recently.

E3 can't get here soon enough, there's barely anything good that's been announced for the past year or two.
    I'd be hard-pressed to get excited about a yearly happening if I haven't liked it for two years.

Quote Originally Posted by NintendoCoke View Post
    Oh, and now that Dead Space 3 is out, How much did EA f**k it in the a** and ruin it?
    Only enough to give you posting fodder until the next time they make a release.
    3DS FC: 3926-4256-2399
    Ingame name: Coatlicue

The usual links

Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    How did you find 13 more fun than 7? I've never played 7 but fans usually regard that as the best one, so how did you have more fun with the worse one?
    VII had better gameplay mechanics and stuff but it's not significantly better than XIII. The worst thing about VII was being given a horribly rendered background, which sometimes left me scratching my head as to where to go next.
    Last.fm | Steam ID
    Nostalgia

Honestly if you actually feel this way then that's your fault. There's been a ton of good things announced recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Ampy View Post
    Honestly if you actually feel this way then that's your fault. There's been a ton of good things announced recently.
    Yes, of course, emotions are completely controllable.

The usual links

Square-Enix blames their failure at the consumers

lol Stop making terrible FF games focus everything into releasing a good game like Dragon Quest X.
    And actually localize Bravely Default: Flying Fairy, I actually want to play that game.

What you deem to be "good" is subjective to your opinion but the general census is that we actually got some good announcement in the last two years.

Lower your standard other wise when E3 comes and go you won't be "disappointed."

Oh, and now that Dead Space 3 is out, How much did EA f**k it in the a** and ruin it?
    You're getting annoying with your EA bashing now, if you don't like them then don't buy the game or get it pre-owned and skip out on buying the DLC.

Quote Originally Posted by Phlogiston View Post
    Yes, of course, emotions are completely controllable.
    Well they are, beside the guy set his standard way too high and actually expected Nintendo to show off the Zelda Wii U even that it isn't how they work.
    Last edited by blaze boy; 8th February 2013 at 5:09 PM.

"Now Count up your Sins"- Kamen Rider W

Quote Originally Posted by Clamps View Post
    And here we have GAMEFREAK EMPLOYEE Blaze Boy confirming once again that Red/Blue/Yellow/Green/ and Gold/Silver/Crystal will not be on the 3DS virtual console E-shop!

You heard it hear first, folks.
    ^ Best post ever.

twitter: http://twitter.com/SamuraiDon

Subjective opinions preference emotions blah blah blah
    but Dark Souls II.

I think the blind fanboy rage you're looking for is best found in YouTube comments rather than here.

Quote Originally Posted by Charizard Champion#06 View Post
    Subjective opinions preference emotions blah blah blah
    but Dark Souls II.
    He said "games," not "perpetual sources of blinding rage."

Mind, I could vaguely understand if he didn't keep up with current games. I don't, though, and I still get vaguely excited.

I think the blind fanboy rage you're looking for is best found in YouTube comments rather than here.

e: David Cage suggests nine things to help the industry grow up. Let's add "get rid of ****ing Kotaku" and round up to ten. In response to each:

1. We do. Unless you're implying that we make games with more of an artsy feel, which I could see Cage saying for Obvious Reasons. This has smatterings of "notice me more".
    2. Guns are not bad by default. Using stuff that shows up in a lot of games differently can still be cool.
    3. cf. film, music, etc. -- not every single piece of media has to have meaning. More would be nice, perhaps, but it's not necessary.
    4. Okay, this I agree with -- a lot of games should be a more cerebral experience. If all I have to consider is how many more hundredths of a second it takes me to do something by method A than by method B, that's not even real thought.
    5. Yes. Sometimes.
    6. Only as long as we continue to recognize that video games and film are two different media.
    7. I think that censorship should go away. We have a ratings board -- censors are, to me, COMPLETELY UNNECESSARY as a result.
    8. Agreed.
    9. Yes, Cage, we know you more attention.

tl;dr David Cage wants people to buy more games like the ones he makes. I understand why he'd say that, but that's not going to help the industry "grow up." You know who needs to grow up? The player base. The people who think that it's A-OK to call someone who kills you in Call of Duty a ******.
    Last edited by The Admiral; 6th February 2013 at 9:37 PM.

The usual links

I agree with 7 and 8 there. The only censors that belong in games are these guys.

2-5 I kind of agree with but that's more of a grey area.

I would like to see more interesting, well-written, well-made, meaningful games -- i.e. that for every Nicki Minaj there be an Electra Heart or MantaRay -- but they are by no means what I could call necessary. And industry heads sure aren't that likely to buy into it if it's not guaranteed to allow them to buy a gold-plated diamond-encrusted yacht per title they release.

The usual links

Quote Originally Posted by Charizard Champion#06 View Post
    I agree with 7 and 8 there. The only censors that belong in games are these guys.

2-5 I kind of agree with but that's more of a grey area.
    You forgot one. Now he is disappointed.

tl;dr David Cage wants people to buy more games like the ones he makes. I understand why he'd say that, but that's not going to help the industry "grow up." You know who needs to grow up? The player base. The people who think that it's A-OK to call someone who kills you in Call of Duty a ******.
    I think to a certain extent he has a point in that the industry needs to focus less on the shooting if they want to ever be taken seriously as a medium.

Also, to your other point, they certainly aren't necessary, there are plenty of games that can get by with little to no story, like Doom or Quake, or in a more modern sense Serious Sam and Hotline Miami. The problem is that the market is so oversaturated with unnecessary, non-innovative shooters like Warfighter that it's hard to actually take shooting games themselves seriously anymore. There have been some exceptions to the rule as of late in the form of games such as Spec Ops: The Line, but it's still an issue.

In other news, Dead Space 3's micro transactions have been worked around already with a little farming.

Fantastic job again by our friends at Electronic Arts.

Quote Originally Posted by Un0va View Post
    In other news, Dead Space 3's micro transactions have been worked around already with a little farming.

Fantastic job again by our friends at Electronic Arts.
    According to EA it was done on purpose and that the micro transactions are just an option to get them earlier.

And here we have GAMEFREAK EMPLOYEE Blaze Boy confirming once again that Red/Blue/Yellow/Green/ and Gold/Silver/Crystal will not be on the 3DS virtual console E-shop!

^ Best post ever.

He said "games," not "perpetual sources of blinding rage."

Mind, I could vaguely understand if he didn't keep up with current games. I don't, though, and I still get vaguely excited.

e: David Cage suggests nine things to help the industry grow up. Let's add "get rid of ****ing Kotaku" and round up to ten. In response to each:

1. We do. Unless you're implying that we make games with more of an artsy feel, which I could see Cage saying for Obvious Reasons. This has smatterings of "notice me more".
    2. Guns are not bad by default. Using stuff that shows up in a lot of games differently can still be cool.
    3. cf. film, music, etc. -- not every single piece of media has to have meaning. More would be nice, perhaps, but it's not necessary.
    4. Okay, this I agree with -- a lot of games should be a more cerebral experience. If all I have to consider is how many more hundredths of a second it takes me to do something by method A than by method B, that's not even real thought.
    5. Yes. Sometimes.
    6. Only as long as we continue to recognize that video games and film are two different media.
    7. I think that censorship should go away. We have a ratings board -- censors are, to me, COMPLETELY UNNECESSARY as a result.
    8. Agreed.
    9. Yes, Cage, we know you more attention.

The only one of these points I completely agree with is 8, there's been a lot of bias coming from the press in this industry.

I also half agree with 4, I think games should involve more thought in their gameplay, but I think they should include both thought and reflexes. The ability to make split second decisions and act on them is an important skill in several genres, and that's something that needs to be encouraged.

Aside from that, I have some ideas:

1. Less emphasis on the visuals and spectacle. Look, I know you want to make the game look pretty, but this should not be the primary purpose for a video game. If I wanted to just watch something, I'd go see a movie. Games, however, have one unique aspect to them, the gameplay, so focus on that more. Now that's not to say that games shouldn't be completely devoid of that kind of stuff, but the idea of turning games into hyper realistic movies is hurting the industry. It's very telling when you break the bank trying to make a game that looks like a Hollywood blockbuster and you don't make a profit despite the games selling reasonably well.
    2. Be more innovative. If you want to justify selling a particular game, it has to have something unique about it. Why should I pay money for a Call of Duty clone when I can just play Call of Duty? Games need to offer a unique experience that can't be delivered through another game. This also applies within franchises as well. Enough with sequels that don't improve upon their predecessors (I'm looking at you, New Super Mario Bros. series), simply taking the same formula, changing very little about it, and reusing it for different levels doesn't help much.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

Has anyone here tried Ni no kuni wrath of the white witch? If yes thoughts?

PO/PS Username: LilPrinnyDood

Credit goes to Shadow for the banner

Quote Originally Posted by blaze boy View Post
    According to EA it was done on purpose and that the micro transactions are just an option to get them earlier.
    What?

What?

That's the worst business logic I have ever heard.

Does EA actually have a crippling fear of earning money from anything besides FIFA and Madden?

Square-Enix blames their failure at the consumers

lol Stop making terrible FF games focus everything into releasing a good game like Dragon Quest X.
    i could find so many things wrong with this staement its not even funny. DDQx isnt tha good first of all, second of all the only terrible game in the ff franchise is that Ios gabage recently released and thier frst attempt at ff14. Thats just to name a couple errors with that statement. If you are saying 13 is terrible then you should play it first, i can assure you, your opinion wou change.

Quote Originally Posted by blaze boy View Post
    This reminds me of that Fable II minigame collection that had some exploit that allowed you to rack up millions of coins, and Molyneux claimed that it was intentional and that players who used the exploit would face in-game consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by noobers View Post
    This reminds me of that Fable II minigame collection that had some exploit that allowed you to rack up millions of coins, and Molyneux claimed that it was intentional and that players who used the exploit would face in-game consequences.
    Seriously? That's ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKojondo View Post
    i could find so many things wrong with this staement its not even funny. DDQx isnt tha good first of all, second of all the only terrible game in the ff franchise is that Ios gabage recently released and thier frst attempt at ff14. Thats just to name a couple errors with that statement. If you are saying 13 is terrible then you should play it first, i can assure you, your opinion wou change.
    And let's just say he has played it and still thinks it's terrible, what then? Although I do agree with your statement about DQX not being very good and FF14 being the only horrible numbered game. Mystic Quest wasn't very great either mind you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ampy View Post
    And let's just say he has played it and still thinks it's terrible, what then? Although I do agree with your statement about DQX not being very good and FF14 being the only horrible numbered game. Mystic Quest wasn't very great either mind you.
    I am going to pretend the part of your reply didn't exist due to wanting to avoid a pointless arguement. Mystic Quest served its purpose very well, to familiarize the west with jrpgs to better sell their future titles.

i could find so many things wrong with this staement its not even funny. DDQx isnt tha good first of all, second of all the only terrible game in the ff franchise is that Ios gabage recently released and thier frst attempt at ff14. Thats just to name a couple errors with that statement.
    I have never played a Final Fantasy game but I can tell you right now that I would rather play Final Fantasy I, II, III, IV, V, IV and IX than Final Fantasy XIII who doesn't even look like a Final Fantasy game.

If you are saying 13 is terrible then you should play it first, i can assure you, your opinion wou change.
    Or you accept that some people don't like Final Fantasy XIII and move on, you can't make bull statement that their opinion will change if they play the game, if they don't like it then they don't like it no matter how many time they play it.

I am going to pretend the part of your reply didn't exist due to wanting to avoid a pointless argument.
    That's really pathetic and extremely childish. You can't just ignore Ampy's valid point just because you don't like what is being said.

Mystic Quest served its purpose very well, to familiarize the west with jrpgs to better sell their future titles.
    No it didn't. Mystic Quest assumed that the western market was too stupid to understand JRPG and ultimately failed in its bid to bring mainstream popularity to console RPGs until Final Fantasy VII.

^ Best post ever.

If you are saying 13 is terrible then you should play it first, i can assure you, your opinion wou change.
    Having played FF13 to completion, just learn to deal with the fact that some people have opinions that are different from yours.

The usual links

Having played FF13 to completion, just learn to deal with the fact that some people have opinions that are different from yours.
    how can you have an opinion about something you have never played? That was more the point. kaythxbye.

edit: before you take that statement out of context, the you was meant in general not directed at you in particular.

@blazeboy: there is nothing childish about attempting to avoid the very arguement that you are making.

edit2: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_Mystic_Quest mystic quest didnt fail at all to do its job.
    Last edited by LilPrinnyDood; 10th February 2013 at 1:45 AM.

how can you have an opinion about something you have never played? That was more the point. kaythxbye
    No you just assumed that Jb never played the game and then when Ampy challenged you on it. You simply ignored what he said because you don't like the idea of any one having a different opinion from yours.

Furthermore it is possible to have an opinion on something on something that you have never played, if there is something about the that doesn't appeal to you.

^ Best post ever.

Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627282930 LastLast