Thread: OU Team - Rotom and Walling issues

Hybrid View

Default OU Team - Rotom and Walling issues

This is a team I have been using to great effect on the smogon battle sim. It is netting me probably a 65-75% win rate, and since I'm brand new to this that isn't too bad. The main issues I'm having are with the Rotom forms, which give me all kinds of grief and seem to stick around forever; that s.o.b Ferrothorn (although I don't think that can be helped, it's just my inability to predict him correctly and get a fire move off); and not being able to sponge hits from the likes of Landorus-T, enemy Terrakion etc. Donphan is great as a 1 time spinner and stealth rocks user, but he just doesn't have any longevity or real walling power. Jellicent is a little better, but I have barely used it as a spin blocker, which makes me think maybe putting Chansey or a more bulky special wall in its place would make sense. Any help I can get on this team I'll appreciate.

Dragonite w/Choice Band & Adamant Nature
    Outrage
    Extremespeed
    Fire Punch
    Earthquake
    EV’s 6 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe

Donphan w/Leftovers @ Impish Nature
    Stealth Rock
    Earthquake
    Roar
    Rapid Spin
    EV’s 252 HP/252 Def/4 Spe

Jellicent w/Leftovers & Calm Nature
    Surf
    Shadow Ball
    Recover
    Will-O-Wisp
    EV’s 252 HP/36 Def/220 SpD

Genesect w/Choice Scarf & Naive Nature
    Flamethrower
    Ice Beam
    Thunderbolt
    U-Turn
    EV’s 8 Atk/248 SpA/252 Spe

Heatran w/Life Orb & Modest Nature
    Earth Power
    Fire Blast
    Hidden Power Ice
    Will-O-Wisp
    EV’s 252 SpA/4 SpD/252 Spe

Terrakion w/Choice Scarf & Jolly Nature
    Close Combat
    Stone Edge
    X-Scissor
    Earthquake
    EV’s 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe

This team works wonders with having switch advantage, all because of the monster that is Genesect. Using U-Turn as they expect the revenge kill and getting that extra type advantage is incredible. Terrakion with his scarf is invaluable as well. The two of them are responsible for almost all of my wins. The main problem, as I said, is walling certain pokemon and Rotoms. Thanks.
    Last edited by Dar1818; 28th November 2012 at 6:13 PM.

Is there anything that differentiates this from any of the other haphazardly constructed HO teams based around the extremely predictable Genesect?

Anyways, if your opponent carries a Scarfed or Banded Terrakion of his own, you're in for a prediction war. Not to mention all your sweepers are frail and lack recovery or team support. Anything bulky enough to take a hit from Terrakion or Genesect will find it easy enough to KO them.

A few mild nitpicks here though.

I'd recommend Flame Charge > Will O' Wisp on Heatran. While Flame Charge does pathetic damage coming from Heatran, it boosts his Speed to a passable level, not to mention you already have Will O' Wisp on Jellicent.

Quick Attack > Earthquake on Terrakion. Earthquake and Close Combat have very redundant coverage, and that extra priority might save your *** sometime.

That's it for now.
    “The God of the old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; petty, unjust, unforgiving, control freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty, ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. Those of us schooled from infancy in his ways can become desensitized to their horror."

~Richard Dawkins

I am a Satanist and proud of it! Copy and paste this into your signature if you are too!

Half your Pokemon are choiced. It is best to have 1 or at the most 2 choiced Pokemon, or else you will keep switching in and out, and possibly rake in hazard damage.
    Another thing, you need descriptions for each Pokemon.
    In order to understand my train of thoughts,
    you'll have to put yourself in my position. You can't expect me to think like you because my life ain't like yours; You know what I'm sayin?

- TI, Ready For Whatever
    Paper Trail.

It is best to have 1 or at the most 2 choiced Pokemon, or else you will keep switching in and out, and possibly rake in hazard damage.
    Another thing, you need descriptions for each Pokemon.
    I've seen a couple good teams end up at around 1440 on PO with up to 5 Choiced Pokes. But for this team, I agree. To alleviate this problem, maybe try a Life Orb/Expert Belt set on Genesect?

Genesect @ Life Orb/Expert Belt
    Trait: Download
    Modest/Timid Nature (I'd use Modest, as the set runs Rock Polish)
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    - Rock Polish
    - Bug Buzz / Flamethrower
    - Ice Beam
    - Giga Drain / Thunderbolt / Flamethrower

At sevensevens's suggestion, I switched out my Scarfed Genesect for this, using a Modest Nature, Life Orb and Rock Polish, Ice Beam, Giga Drain and Flamethrower, albeit with a different EV spread. It has done much better than my old Scarfed one for two reasons: I can switch moves while retaining respectable power and it has a reliable form of recovery in Giga Drain. It's a very straightforward set in that you Rock Polish and start attacking. Giga Drain is for when the LO recoil drops you low. Ice Beam and Flamethrower get nice coverage and handle a lot of major threats. Giga Drain would also somewhat alleviate your Rotom problem.
    "Whether Castform the Weather Pokemon can weather the weather is dependent on whether the weather that it's weathering is the proper weather for it to weather. Whether the opponent can weather the weather is also subject to whether the weather that it's weathering is the right weather to weather. Whether Castform can weather the opponent is once again dictated by the weather and whether that weather is the favorable weather for weathering. But most importantly, you should know whether there will be weather to weather rather than what weather they will be weathering and whether they can weather that weather."

- Smogon's Castform analysis

A quick rate: Use Timid Dragonite, otherwise Breloom will outspeed and Spore. Eventhough your Jelli has WoW already, Scald is always better than Surf. And yeah EQ is redundant with CC on Terra, QA is too weak to use with Scarf, so I suggest you to use Rock Slide instead as SE miss can cost you the game and Rock Slide gives you more chance at sweeping late game. As for Heatran, Air Balloon gives you chance of beating non-Yache Chomp. I personally use Taunt in the place of WoW to stop Adamant Dragonite and walls setting up. I suggest switching Donphan for LO Mamoswine or the sash variant with Endeavor and SR.

Quote Originally Posted by stenli View Post
    A quick rate: Use Jolly Dragonite, otherwise Breloom will outspeed and Spore. Eventhough your Jelli has WoW already, Scald is always better than Surf. And yeah EQ is redundant with CC on Terra, QA is too weak to use with Scarf, so I suggest you to use Rock Slide instead as SE miss can cost you the game and Rock Slide gives you more chance at sweeping late game. As for Heatran, Air Balloon gives you chance of beating non-Yache Chomp. I personally use Taunt in the place of WoW to stop Adamant Dragonite and walls setting up. I suggest switching Donphan for LO Mamoswine or the sash variant with Endeavor and SR.
    Timid would be bad as it would lower attack, other than that, I agree with most of this.

"It's time to see what I can do. Test the limits and break through!"

PoshSprout Nariya's Head Mage
    Credit to FairyWitch and GTA for the art!

Yeah, and Genesect is up for testing and will probably be out in Ubers as testing is done around Friday so just a note there, busy so will rye later.

Three "choice" items and a life orb isnt very good strategy...
    One time i tried a TrickMr.Mime that worked fantastically, it held choice specs. XD perfect setup for it. or a frisker with choice specs and trick, works even better. tho u shouldnt hurt ur team for power so much. half team choiced is NOT good.

Claimed Majora's Mask/Skull Kid | 3DSFC - 4811.7177.1372.Liam | Art by me, TIL Userbar by Astral Shadow

Formerly: Chapter of Charizard

Jolly dnite mises out on a few things that adamant gets, but outspeeding politoed and breloom is key.
    timid on heatran can help, letting you outspeed adamant mamoswine. toxic could be used over WoW.
    As soon as dragonite dies breloom tears you appart. Also donphan is the easiest spinner to spin block probably, see as gengar ignores EQ, and jelliecent can recover it off and fire back water moves. starmie could work better, althoguh a bit more of a rotom problem. The reason rotom is a problem is you have no solid electric resist. Donphan has immunity, be he is specially ragile, and generally willing to die to get up rocks/spin/roar, meaning rotom's can volt switch all over you, you only things that outspeed rotom being your scarfers who can't OHKO most sets.
    To make it clear, if you PM me, I get an email. I do not use this site anymore.
    If you PM me I will do my best to get back to you.