Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
Results 176 to 200 of 254

Thread: Mission: Defeat Your Rival! (765)

  1. #176
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    I swear Serperior putting the squeeze on Pikachu would NOT fly by with 4kids. Hell, I'm surprise any censor would let it pass (US wise mostly).
    Um...



    5th episode.


    I really didn't care for the resulting battle between Pikachu and Serperior; I feel that in trying to go a different route by making Ash battle his main rival first for a change, the writing team messed up by making the resulting battle rather poor. The whole thing just felt a little unbelievable, which is a shame.

    I don't know if they were trying to make up for justifying Paul being a git in Sinnoh, or what. Trip was an interesting enough rival who deserved a better send-off than this.

    There were also some misses in Bianca's battle, but at least it was more satisfying as a whole.

  2. #177
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    704

    Default

    Welp that battle was lackluster, nice to see the writer's still coming up with deus ex machina's to get Pikachu and Ash out corners in which they'd actually lose, cause heaven forbid we actually have a season were Ash washes out first round. Oh and the idiot savant once again get writer's luck because the production staff just fawns over him.
    My Grandmother always said...
    "She who walks the path of heaven will rule over everything"

    Mana (4914-3452-1470) (X)
    Gyarados, Octillary, and Azumarill



  3. #178

    Default

    Ash VS Trip was essentially a remake of Pikachu VS Onix from Showdown In Pewter City.
    The writers can't fool anypony, they remade the battle just with Pikachu dying more. I did nearly cry seeing Pikachu all purple like that... I could go on and on and on about how wrong it was that Pikachu was being god-damned choked to death, but I won't.
    I loved the episode, but with the over-emphasis of tournaments in this series, it just felt like another tournament...
    6/10
        Spoiler:- Oh No You Di'nt!!:
    Gay, atheist, proud of it.

    [img]http://i49.*******.com/9tzn03.png[/img]
    Follow me @JaymiPurdy

    Quote Originally Posted by gliscor&yanmega View Post
    What is with Gym Leaders and removing stuff.

  4. #179
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    550

    Default

    This was awful, bad enough Trip went out so early, but then he goes out in the most anti-climactic manner possible. No Static activation, nothing, just 1hko after Serperior almost beat it. Also, "OPEN YOUR EYES!" What for? So it can see its demise? Seriously, what was the point of it having to open its eyes?

    ~mlfan05
    Last edited by moneylesswario; 18th March 2013 at 5:38 PM.
    I, stickerstaryoshi, am now authorized to use the usertitle "We got 3D: XY!", created by user Cresselia92 and to modify it according to my desires.

    Fan of the Mario and Luigi series since 2005.

  5. #180

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marioluigifan05 View Post
    This was awful, bad enough Trip went out so early, but then he goes out in the most anti-climactic manner possible. No Static activation, nothing, just 1hko after Serperior almost beat it. Also, "OPEN YOUR EYES!" What for? So it can see its demise? Seriously, what was the point of it having to open its eyes?

    ~mlfan05
    The leagues are getting worse and worse I reckon.
    Indigo was great, I loved Richie, he was like another Ash, but different. It was wonderful.
    Johto was incredible, Ash VS Gary five years in the making, I actually think this was the best league so far. Plus Blaziken and Kecleon. Wow.
    Hoenn was fun, I loved Tyson and Morrison, two of my favourite characters in the entire show.
    Sinnoh was alright... Darkrai and Latios was a bit much, they just wanted Ash to get car-parked so they could resolve the Paul thing. I actually think Paul was up there with Gary.
    Unova is HORRIBLE. So many lovable rivals and so much potential. I won't spoil it for anyone who only knows what happens by the dub, but everyone I know was unhappy with the turn-out.
    Good news is even though Virgil never had Sylveon, there's an Eevee episode coming up that I hope he appears in with Sylveon.
        Spoiler:- Oh No You Di'nt!!:
    Gay, atheist, proud of it.

    [img]http://i49.*******.com/9tzn03.png[/img]
    Follow me @JaymiPurdy

    Quote Originally Posted by gliscor&yanmega View Post
    What is with Gym Leaders and removing stuff.

  6. #181
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    In the Canalava Mines
    Posts
    3,591

    Default

    No need to say anymore; the Unova League started off lackluster, and it doesn't seem like it'll have the chance to get any better. What bugs me now is that Ash VS was at the very last part of League Episode 1, and ended in the early part of League Episode 2. Which sucks. Can't even count this for a full length episode; nearly just about half of one episode.

    ~I just wanna feel that rhythm~
    Twitter @TrainerTrevino

  7. #182
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    6,042

    Default

    I gotta say that this is an amazing title to give to an episode.

  8. #183
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by squrtle View Post
    Ash VS Trip was essentially a remake of Pikachu VS Onix from Showdown In Pewter City.
    The writers can't fool anypony, they remade the battle just with Pikachu dying more. I did nearly cry seeing Pikachu all purple like that... I could go on and on and on about how wrong it was that Pikachu was being god-damned choked to death, but I won't.
    I have to admit, I was shocked by how violent that looked. Maybe it was just the animation evolution over the years, but even SiPC's fight didn't look anywhere near this violent. It didn't help that the whole setup was a bit of a clusterfeck with Ash yelling at Pikachu, seemingly fruitlessly and quite traumatically for the viewer, and then that deux ex machina win.

    I still don't know why the writers didn't make Pikachu's encounter with Zekrom at the start of the series reset his power level, that way it losing would make more sense, especially against Pokémon it ought to have an advantage over.

    Then again, Pikachu was only ever a glass cannon with plot armour in the first place.

  9. #184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jammiedodger View Post
    I have to admit, I was shocked by how violent that looked. Maybe it was just the animation evolution over the years, but even SiPC's fight didn't look anywhere near this violent. It didn't help that the whole setup was a bit of a clusterfeck with Ash yelling at Pikachu, seemingly fruitlessly and quite traumatically for the viewer, and then that deux ex machina win.

    I still don't know why the writers didn't make Pikachu's encounter with Zekrom at the start of the series reset his power level, that way it losing would make more sense, especially against Pokémon it ought to have an advantage over.

    Then again, Pikachu was only ever a glass cannon with plot armour in the first place.
    It was a traumatizing battle. It was milked to death (almost literally) because they realised they couldn't make the battle last the length of the episode, so they milked it for 10 minutes. Then the Pika-Swellow thing happened in a way, and christ alive it went all DBZ. The whole "OPEN YOUR EYES" thing... Pikachu had his eyes closed because he was dying. Worse than Aim for the horn.
        Spoiler:- Oh No You Di'nt!!:
    Gay, atheist, proud of it.

    [img]http://i49.*******.com/9tzn03.png[/img]
    Follow me @JaymiPurdy

    Quote Originally Posted by gliscor&yanmega View Post
    What is with Gym Leaders and removing stuff.

  10. #185
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    40

    Default

    It's a shame because when the writing team are on form they can actually create some pretty decent episodes. I don't see why the league's have gradually got so much worse. First being trounced by freaking legendaries and now this crap. It's not going to get any better either, if the general feeling towards the Japanese version is anything to go by.

  11. #186
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    242

    Default

    God this episode sucks....

    I'll have a full review later, but these are all of the main problems I have with it: Trip going out in the first round, Bianca whining after losing (I'd cry, too, if I lost to him, but still), the way Trip got beaten (he gets OHKOed by Electro Ball + Iron Tail, a combo that shouldn't even be effective, while Pikachu takes hit after hit, and then gets strangled nearly to death, and still manages to pull off said combo? It didn't even make sense, either...). If Trip was a main character, and Ash a rival, I would hate Ash more than Tobiass.

    The only thing I DID like about this episode is the title, and the way Sarah said it.

    Yeah.
    Ghirajinxaphobia (or Ghirajinxphobia) - Fear of Ghirahim being cosplayed by a Jynx

  12. #187
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    154

    Default

    I understand why people thought the Serperior vs Pikachu was a little too much, but I personally don't see what was so bad about it. Pikachu has already been through a lot prior to that battle, but it always comes out fine like nothing even happened. I'm sure this episode will be no different. Just my opinion.

  13. #188
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Mitten State
    Posts
    11,825

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SKyLineR32 View Post
    I understand why people thought the Serperior vs Pikachu was a little too much, but I personally don't see what was so bad about it. Pikachu has already been through a lot prior to that battle, but it always comes out fine like nothing even happened. I'm sure this episode will be no different. Just my opinion.
    Because a single combo (the only true hit Pikachu got on Serperior) was all it took to take Serperior down
    3DS code:1048-8163-5480
    Why exactly can't Ash get this little guy?
    "I already told you, I don't mind playing the bad guy every once in a while."~ Sonic the Hedgehog

  14. #189
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Bionis
    Posts
    9,326

    Default

    Serperior going from solarbeam and frenzy plant to energy ball and wrap was unforgivable. It's pretty much the writers knowing they made it too good for ash to possibly beat and so phoned in a handy dose of plot induced failure on the two.

  15. #190
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Guys Pikachu was not near death at all, he was just about to faint. Pokemon are way stronger to die in that silly way. As for Serperior, its clear that its trained well in Speed to avoid damage, but it seems Serperior is not used to taking damage. Iron tail + Electro ball is still effective because its Iron tail powered up, means its a Steel type move, don't make game logic your 'base'.

  16. #191
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    WartortleVille
    Posts
    56

    Default

    I should better call it Mission: Shoehorn the Series Mascot

    The final main rival battle was like Serperior's winning, Ash shouts "Pikachu", Pikachu gains confidence, Pikachu wins!
    Okay, we were sure that the outcome will be like this, but couldn't you take it a bit easier. Ash v Gary/Ash v Paul can't be compared to THAT thing!

    Cameron v Bianca was surprisingly okay. We got some Bianca's Emboar battling (which was already shown as powerful during Clubsplosion), and we finally saw Cameron's Riolu in action.
    That battle fared out quite well, and Cameron winning was a bit predictable as well (they wouldn't summon a League Rival only to have him defeated by Bianca...)
    <no sig>

  17. #192
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joltik-Kid View Post
    Because a single combo (the only true hit Pikachu got on Serperior) was all it took to take Serperior down
    Oh, I know. I was just giving my thoughts on what Serperior did to Pikachu in this epidode. I still think this battle was dumb.

  18. #193
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Mitten State
    Posts
    11,825

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PikachuIsCute View Post
    Guys Pikachu was not near death at all, he was just about to faint. Pokemon are way stronger to die in that silly way. As for Serperior, its clear that its trained well in Speed to avoid damage, but it seems Serperior is not used to taking damage. Iron tail + Electro ball is still effective because its Iron tail powered up, means its a Steel type move, don't make game logic your 'base'.
    If memory serves, Snivy and Servine were well capable of taking hits, Snivy took a Quick Attack and I believe an Iron Tail from Pikachu, while Servine took multiple Vine Whips (basically Pikachu's Electro Ball) and a final Leaf Blade (Pikachu's Iron Tail) to fall to Ash's Snivy. Not sure how you lose all that defense after evolving despite the focus on Speed training
    3DS code:1048-8163-5480
    Why exactly can't Ash get this little guy?
    "I already told you, I don't mind playing the bad guy every once in a while."~ Sonic the Hedgehog

  19. #194
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joltik-Kid View Post
    If memory serves, Snivy and Servine were well capable of taking hits, Snivy took a Quick Attack and I believe an Iron Tail from Pikachu, while Servine took multiple Vine Whips (basically Pikachu's Electro Ball) and a final Leaf Blade (Pikachu's Iron Tail) to fall to Ash's Snivy. Not sure how you lose all that defense after evolving despite the focus on Speed training
    If you're training on something, but stop for a long time, you will lose what you learned or gained. I bet ever since his Servine evolved it didn't get a scratch, except when Alder 1-hit it with his Bouffalant, did you notice Serperior was a bit scared when Pikachu was about to use Thunderbolt even thought its not effective.

  20. #195
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Mitten State
    Posts
    11,825

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PikachuIsCute View Post
    If you're training on something, but stop for a long time, you will lose what you learned or gained. I bet ever since his Servine evolved it didn't get a scratch, except when Alder 1-hit it with his Bouffalant, did you notice Serperior was a bit scared when Pikachu was about to use Thunderbolt even thought its not effective.
    I noticed Pikachu's never been trained for defense in it's life.
    3DS code:1048-8163-5480
    Why exactly can't Ash get this little guy?
    "I already told you, I don't mind playing the bad guy every once in a while."~ Sonic the Hedgehog

  21. #196
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    40

    Default

    It wouldn't have been so bad if the writers had perhaps emphasised Trip's Serperior being unusual in that he trained it for speed and offence over its usually solid defence. Of course that wouldn't do anything to explain Pikachu suddenly becoming a wall.

    Actually writing a full 6-on-6, or even 3-on-3 battle would have done a lot to negate this, allowing several of Ash's Pokémon to chip away at Serperior while he formed some kind of strategy to beat it.
    Last edited by jammiedodger; 19th March 2013 at 4:53 PM.

  22. #197

    Default

    A Serperior being trained in offense? Does even EV/IV work that way?

    Tea time during war is serious business, you know.
    Wii U: AuraGuyChris
    Youtube Channel - Hyrule Warriors (Hard)

    Chapter 219: An Alien Friend in Need - Complete!

  23. #198
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joltik-Kid View Post
    I noticed Pikachu's never been trained for defense in it's life.
    Just taking hits while battling, no one forces his Pokemon to take damage for training purposes, besides its not that effective, but it adds up, and there are alot of other factors that determines a Pokemon performance in battle, its not a game, they have feelings, personalities, confidence, moods etc..

    Quote Originally Posted by jammiedodger View Post
    It wouldn't have been so bad if the writers had perhaps emphasised Trip's Serperior being unusual in that he trained it for speed and offence over its usually solid defence. Of course that wouldn't do anything to explain Pikachu suddenly becoming a wall.

    Actually writing a full 6-on-6, or even 3-on-3 battle would have done a lot to negate this, allowing several of Ash's Pokémon to chip away at Serperior while he formed some kind of strategy to beat it.
    its not numerical data in the anime, sure Pikachu could have fainted, but he knows very well its Ash chance to enter the league and he won't give up easily, especially that he likes Ash alot.


    Quote Originally Posted by AuraChannelerChris View Post
    A Serperior being trained in offense? Does even EV/IV work that way?
    No IV/EV's in the anime. IV's are like talents, like some human good in Piano naturally, a Pokemon can be good in attack instead, etc..
    EV's are training/battling and is lost partially if the Pokemon does not battle for a long period of time.
    Last edited by PikachuIsCute; 19th March 2013 at 8:33 PM.

  24. #199
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,855

    Default

    This has got to be the worse Trip vs Ash battle I've ever seen. Ten minutes of watching Pikachu being squeezed to death was not what I wanted. I was hoping for a new attack that Pikachu could atleast learn so that this wouldn't seem so stupid.

    My ideal battle ever!

  25. #200
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    14,441

    Default

    So I'm the only person who had a problem with how hacked that Samurott was?? Seriously Escavalier's defense was raised hella high and more then enough to take a Razor Shell.
    Proud claimer of Cyndaquil and Ezio Auditore from Assassin's Creed !!
    Also proud claimer of Assassin's Creed 2 the game!!
    Just became the proud claimer of the Marvel's Agent's of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show ^_^!!!

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •