Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pokemon Anime vs. Manga (PokeSpe, DPA, anything)

Default Pokemon Anime vs. Manga (PokeSpe, DPA, anything)

As the title implies, what's your honest stance on this comparison? I'd get into mine but I'm far more curious in hearing the thoughts of you guys here. Compare the Anime to PokeSpe, DPA and/or any other Manga in terms of characters, stories and so forth.

Be detailed, be honest, be mature and blah blah blah. You can disagree with each other so long as it doesn't get out of hand.

And... GO!

Manga - specifically adventures and colosseum mostly because it follows the games but also because what happened in the last issue actually matters in the next plot. The only thing I can give Pokemon credit for in the anime is the fact they are surprisingly effective at killing people off like they did with Latios and Pokemon Hunter J and her henchmen.
    - My Sig was too Tall, so a Mod fixed it -

Quote Originally Posted by gamer_legend View Post
    Manga - specifically adventures and colosseum mostly because it follows the games but also because what happened in the last issue actually matters in the next plot. The only thing I can give Pokemon credit for in the anime is the fact they are surprisingly effective at killing people off like they did with Latios and Pokemon Hunter J and her henchmen.
    And that only happened in the movies and in a for Latios sacrificial way.

Well all the Pokemon manga I've read are much better than the anime. But i like special the most, it's not repetitive like in the anime and the characters do get older and get a character development and the main character don't have always a great childhood, they actually go through a lot of harsh things. In the anime everything is so stereotype and they don't age. Ash keeps losing each league and I am surprised he still has the same dream from years ago without making any progress.

I can compare Electric tale of Pikachu better, since it's based of, but even that one is so much better. Satoshi/ Ash at least lost the indigo league in a honorable way, because he didn't want the Charizard get hurt and damn that was a real well... harsh... violent battle between the two fire dragon and he doesn't act like an idiot.

The anime's only redeeming quality is the contests for me. And only the AG contests. Other than that, it's iffy. It's just so... repetitive. I swear, this is the anime fillers in a nutshell: Blah blah start off on a journey oh look a new person hi new person let's be friends oh no team rocket stop dong bad things fight fight oh no we're gonna lose new person saves the day off to the next town the end.

Although sometimes the filler is amazingly good. This, however, represents 90 percent of the fillers (in my opinion).
    "It's not who I am inside, but what I do that defines me."- Batman. Started by GreatGonzales

Quote Originally Posted by gamer_legend View Post
    The only thing I can give Pokemon credit for in the anime is the fact they are surprisingly effective at killing people off like they did with Latios and Pokemon Hunter J and her henchmen.
    Unfortunately, those kinds of moments are rare and the death of Hunter J was... pretty abrupt. Like "Big Lipped Aligator Moment" abrupt. It's like they were done with her and killed her off with no regards to the character or the story. What a waste.

Speaking of characters, PokeSpe develops the characters better than the Anime. Maybe not perfectly but better than the Anime where they're very cookie cutter with their dialogie not helping matters either. Plus, Red isn't the protagonist for BS reasons unlike Ash "Can't Win A League To Save His Life" Ketchum.
    Last edited by matt0044; 24th December 2012 at 4:03 PM.

Well since you requested I post here, lol...

I can't really give a fair comparison between the two because while I've read almost all of the Pokemon Adventures manga (all of which that's been translated into English, anyway), I quit watching the anime over a decade ago. Says it all though right there, really. Even as a 9/10-year-old I was smart enough to realize the Johto saga of the anime was pretty much crap, didn't care how much ~4kids~ it was. I can still tell you the exact moment when I gave up on it and its endless hours of filler: when Brock gave Vulpix back to her useless Character of the Day original trainer. Then later they had to nerve to get rid of Misty (who had completely fallen from grace at that point, but was still my favorite character) and keep (useless by that point) Brock around. Just ugh. Plus that was the time when the Digimon anime was still on, which I still love to this day, so yeah lol. I'd go into Adventures but you pretty much know my stance on it completely by this point so why bother?

I know you were probably hoping for a more in-depth response, but that's pretty much all I can give you sadly.

Pretty much let's bash the anime thread -.-

The anime's not so bad. It's cute, enjoyable and has bright vibrant colors. It's a lax show, but just because there's not a huge plot doesn't make it crap. I like what they are doing now in BW, it's still kid friendly of course, but at least they are trying new things.

As for Pokemon Special, I really like it I guess I can start reading BW now xD and I like it for it's plot and characters. It has better management too.
    3DS Friend Code: 1306-5187-6204

The anime is appalling and an embarassment. It's the main reason why people tease me for being a fan of Pokemon at 21 years of age. (looool) xD They NEED to get rid of the main characters, the Ash Ketchum saga has been going on for what, almost twenty years now? It makes the whole thing feel stale. I've quite enjoyed the various Pokemon manga I've read - because they follow different characters on their own individual storylines. Honestly the anime should learn from this.

Quote Originally Posted by Weedy Spyze View Post
    I know you were probably hoping for a more in-depth response, but that's pretty much all I can give you sadly.
    S'okay.

The anime's not so bad. It's cute, enjoyable and has bright vibrant colors. It's a lax show, but just because there's not a huge plot doesn't make it crap. I like what they are doing now in BW, it's still kid friendly of course, but at least they are trying new things.
    For me, the Anime has its moments and I don't totally hate it. I'm not against the fact that they haven't got a huge plot but I'm against how the status quo is maintained stubbornly and how Ash has pretty much gotten staler than bread uneaten for 100 days straight. Among others. And I do want people to be fair here so they mention the pros of the Anime along with the cons.

Quote Originally Posted by 00poke_maniac View Post
    Pretty much let's bash the anime thread
    Isn't it the same way in the Anime Spoiler section? XD

IMO Anime is catered to younger audiences and they can just be well... Boring. Ash has been going on for such a long time that it's not even funny... The anime is more kid-friendly, but it's not exactly my taste. Also the anime is sometimes plagued by 'lack of development' due to the over-focus of Ash. I don't really like anything much from the anime, but for some reason I still keep track and watch new episodes from time to time. The Anime did the contests well, and I loved the DP saga so much that I watched like 75% of all the episodes.

Manga has a more mature theme where not everything is comical and all "good-going". The protagonists get switched around often, and the writers for the manga are obviously trying more stuff out than the anime. Think of the DP manga arc, where Platina is just... A rich girl with different background than any previous Pokedex holders, etc etc.

Credits to Sworn Metalhead

ASB Squad

I like both, but I have more fond memories of the anime, though the manga is "better".

Meh, I like the anime for entirely different reasons from the manga.
    I like reading the manga because its much more "The games personified" as I put it. I'll read it because I get to see a lot of the things that happen the games brought to life through REAL characters, not just a silent protagonist. Its interesting, and most of all, what I like adventures for over all the other pokemon manga out there is that Kuska manages to throw in and tie everything together. A frenzy of chekhov's guns if you will. No matter what, everything ends up staying completely connected through some strand (Be it through villain, item, hero, etc.). Its entertaining to see how he'll manage to put everything together, and what personalities he'll use for certain characters that are usually just blank, and how each generation will reference the older generation of hero's. The plots are nice, and I defiantly like them more then some of the anime plots, but that's what I read Pokemon special for. The characters and to see how each gen will connect or reference to each other, it's really cool. Most of the battles are pretty cool, but their nowhere near as cool when their animated. Things like Platinum hitting blizzard through the holes in the ground (forgive me if I'm wrong, its been a while.), that's cool. Except not nearly as cool and entertaining as rain falling and lucario and Buizel charging at each other with force palm and water pulse/rain-boosted Aqua Jet, ending in an explosion of mist and lucario and buizel barely standing, and calling it a Draw (Ending of Ash VS Maylene). That stuff is really fun to watch, and I feel like manga has trouble portraying that type of fight usually. For whatever reason, Understandable or not...The battles just aren't as entertaining. Its the plot that gives the battles weight, along with a "surprise". The manga always does that...There's a reason why I've heard the manga called a collection of ***-pulls, because that's what it does for most of their battles. :/...***-pulls doesn't necessarily mean a bad thing, but alot of the things in the manga tend to happen REALLY quickly and are like "I told ya so.". Its cool (espcially when Platinum's body guards do it to saturn. My god they're hilarious.), but there's no "rivalry fun battles". The only battles that are entertaining (well, most entertaining) are the ones where the plot is causing drama. The style works for plot and revelation, not for epic battles. That's my one quirk for the manga, my opinion. lol Though seriously, go watch the FINAL Ash Vs Paul battle in full, and tell me that there wasn't a lot of thought put into how that battle goes. And that ending...DAT ENDING. Woh...go infernape. It just doesn't usually reach that height.

I admit that an anime of the manga would allow for much more expansion on the battles, but that doesn't change what I enjoy about the anime right now does it? lol

Aside from that, I enjoy the anime because its lax and just a happy adventure, and they do tend to throw their own twists on the game villians for what its worth. It may be mostly filler, but I like that (possibly why i enjoyed sinnoh the most.). Its just a simple adventure with little things thrown in here and there that I find entertaining. The characters are mostly flat, but hell, its entertaining and still can cause excitement. >;/...Cilan and Brock were funny, the writers, despite running out of plots, can throw interesting quirks into dialogue here and there that make you laugh. To be honest, I'm just not bothered by repetition. Its so easy to ignore because i enjoy it (I don't get how others are bothered by it that much. I want difference, but style different.). I don't watch EVERY episode, but my god its still fun. :P...

On a side note, I really don't like talking about the anime to others who don't like it, or even are indifferent about it. Why? cause all they do is insult it. D:>...I'm not saying it's good, or even needs to be praised...But damnit leave me alone when I want to talk about something that happened in it. I want to have fun when I watch it, thats what I came for. Its the only reason I go onto anime forums here.

I also find Dawn to be adorable. XD
    When refering to learning..."In other words, groups are not where ideas are born. Groups are where ideas are evaluated."
    My eyes! (my eyes!) are filled with curiosity! You think! (You think!) that you have power over me! In this life! (This life!) There’s no room for you and me! So turn around and face the day with me!
    Such a sexy song. Urgh.

I like both the anime and the manga but if I had to choose, I'd pick the manga.

Better storyline, more action, and it has more mature themes then the anime does.

Manga is better,but anime isn't anywhere close to as bad as most everyone makes it out to be.

Not to bash the anime but despite the manga's flaws I still it over the anime over the day. Why? Well, unlike most of you I don't enjoy a story that doesn't go anywhere. I am a guy who likes to see something happen and I don't mean in a span of fifty episodes of fillers or more. I also enjoy the world of the Pokemon manga moreso than the anime.

3DS XL Friend Code: 2036-7872-1965
    .: DA | Tumblr | MAL :.

Quote Originally Posted by Born Better View Post
    Manga is better,but anime isn't anywhere close to as bad as most everyone makes it out to be.
    Yeah, I see as a show with opportunity in the story that sadly go wasted. Team Rocket as a whole organization could've been utilized far better for story purposes. Ash could've grown as a person and developed into a more interesting character. Silver would've made for cool rival. Yet they seemed to hold back such potential.
    Last edited by matt0044; 7th December 2012 at 10:34 PM.

I'm also in the "anime is bad because nothing happens" crowd. I don't like watching adventures with no action, it's boring. Not to mention that there's no real character development throughout the series, it's like they all reset after each adventure.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

(I'm surprised someone didn't come in here earlier to yell at some of you for calling Pokemon Adventures "the manga" yet. But I'm not gonna do that. Too much trouble to rant to you guys.)

I really like both anime and any type of pokemon manga, though I like them for different reasons.

With the Pokemon anime, It's easy to start off literally anywhere in the series and follow it along. While yes, Ash has had his own pokemon teams previously and it is annoying to see him go from a veteran trainer who has participated in a previous pokemon league to a rookie over and over again, there is good reason for it, and it's because you always get new audiences for the show. The audience for the show are mainly children, and unless they want to look through the internet, it's difficult to try to go back over 300 episodes to watch Pokemon from season 1. By starting off a new season of Pokemon with Ash having no other Pokemon except Pikachu (and maybe one more Pokemon) and getting a starter pokemon from the region's professor, it gives the children something to relate to, since they have probably played pokemon before and want to see Ash get new pokemon and battle new people.

Then there is the fact that, unless it's some kind of 2 or 3 part episode, each episode has it's own mini story that or may not be related to Ash's path to the Pokemon League. While many of the plots in the episodes are really generic (Ash and co. find a pokemon or something, there's a problem, they help out, TEAM ROCKET!, battle, Blasting off again, yay end of ep.), there is something appealing about how they are set up. Each episode you are likely to see new pokemon and trainers, and see Ash and his pokemon interact with them. You take the perspective or an elementary school-age child and for them, this episode format is easy to follow because you see Ash as the good guy, Team Rocket (or some other character) as the bad guy, and they see a typical "good beats bad" type thing. Of course, for some episodes there are exceptions, but yeah.

What I also like about the anime is that you actually get to see an amazing Pokemon Battle. Sure you have played games and seen battle animations for attacks and such, but it's fun watching a full on battle animated and it's fun seeing how trainers send out commands and how each pokemon utilizes an attack. Reading a manga that has that same exact battle may be fun, but there is a difference between reading a static comic page about a battle and watching it. The same goes with Pokemon Contests and other events. They are fun to watch on TV and watch one way they can be performed.

Now onto pokemon manga (Special, DPA!, etc).
    Each pokemon manga (or at least the ones I've read, which isn't many sadly...) may either closely follow main or spin-off game canon (i.e. Pokemon Special/Adventures, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, Pokemon Ranger etc), loosely follow main game canon (i.e.Pokemon DPA! etc.), follow the anime itself (i.e. most of the movie adaptation manga and EtoP) or they can be follow their own canon without any or few relation to main games (i.e. Phantom Thief Pokemon 7, Try Adventure, ReBURST.). You have so many options to choose from, and they are all different from each other. Some mangas may focus on human characters, and some focus on pokemon characters. Battling may not even be something that each character is aiming for; some are coordinators, some are detectives, some are thieves, some are heroes, ninjas, school-kids, warriors, and it goes on. Not every main character for certain mangas is a trainer. There so many different types of Pokemon Manga out there that you read a different story each time, even withing a series (like Pokemon Special or Pocket Monsters, which are both long and on-going.)

Each manga can have their own main characters and the authors have control over how they characterize them (or at least for those that follow the main game story lines closely or loosely), regardless of any type of perception fans have, which is why we have many, many characters (for example: Spe!Red, Isamu, Ash, etc.) based of of one protagonist in a game (Game!Red in this case.) They may be based of of one person, but they are distinct enough in personality (or appearance) that you know they are not the same. For mangas that follow main-series games closely, despite similarities in plot, everyone interacts differently in different mangas, to the point that even how characters like Professors, Rivals, Gym Leaders, and Elite Four may act very differently from manga to manga. It's fascinating.

For mangas that follow a completely different canon, there is even more fun to that in my opinion. You have some settings where people use pokemon as partners for helping others out (such as in Try Adventures or Phantom Thief Pokemon 7), you have an almost slice of life setting where people go to school and they have pokemon too, and then you have a place where people can use pokemon to battle or they can take on aspects of certain pokemon to fight on their own (ReBURST .) Then you also have mangas where the Pokemon can directly talk to their trainers or friends, and it's fun seeing them have similar problems that humans would face too (Magical Pokemon Journey.)

Anyway, I should stop now, but in short: Both are great, they have their own things that are good and bad about them, none of them are better than the other so shut up about the anime being "kiddy."
    BUNP

The Electric Tale of Pikachu > All

Quote Originally Posted by chamo-chan View Post
    With the Pokemon anime, It's easy to start off literally anywhere in the series and follow it along. While yes, Ash has had his own pokemon teams previously and it is annoying to see him go from a veteran trainer who has participated in a previous pokemon league to a rookie over and over again, there is good reason for it, and it's because you always get new audiences for the show. The audience for the show are mainly children, and unless they want to look through the internet, it's difficult to try to go back over 300 episodes to watch Pokemon from season 1. By starting off a new season of Pokemon with Ash having no other Pokemon except Pikachu (and maybe one more Pokemon) and getting a starter pokemon from the region's professor, it gives the children something to relate to, since they have probably played pokemon before and want to see Ash get new pokemon and battle new people.
    They don't have to make it so it's one continuous plot from beginning to end, they could make it so you'd only have to follow along from the beginning of each saga. So instead of having to start all the way back at Episode 1, you'd only need to start at the beginning of Unova. That I think would be a lot more reasonable since you'd be rerunning 100 or so episodes instead of 1000.
    Then there is the fact that, unless it's some kind of 2 or 3 part episode, each episode has it's own mini story that or may not be related to Ash's path to the Pokemon League. While many of the plots in the episodes are really generic (Ash and co. find a pokemon or something, there's a problem, they help out, TEAM ROCKET!, battle, Blasting off again, yay end of ep.), there is something appealing about how they are set up. Each episode you are likely to see new pokemon and trainers, and see Ash and his pokemon interact with them. You take the perspective or an elementary school-age child and for them, this episode format is easy to follow because you see Ash as the good guy, Team Rocket (or some other character) as the bad guy, and they see a typical "good beats bad" type thing. Of course, for some episodes there are exceptions, but yeah.
    That kind of setup gets monotonous when done in every episode for 15 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

Well, the Pokemon anime is for children like it or not and it is a toyetic franchise first and foremost. However, I don't want to see a story that never ends and I know they do this on purpose and the show no longer for me anymore but they could at last end Ash's story and tell the story of a new journey. That would be preferable to resetting every 3-4 years.

Fair enough but why keep Ash in this case? Keeping Ash and even referencing his past insinuates a linear story feel yet it's not suppose to be. And with Ash's regression in BW, it really shows the flaws of this plan. Why not do what PokeSpe and the games do and change the protagonists with each new region for each new audience? Wouldn't that be a better idea?

I mean, take how Ash's previous female companions return to the show. Wouldn't these newer viewers feel the effects of a Continuity Lockout? For example:

Me watching BW when Dawn returns (hypothetically): Who is this girl? And how does she know Ash? What's this Counter Shield? WHAT IS GOING ON?

Right there, the whole new audience ploy falls apart when Ash is forced to stay. Why not go the Power Rangers/Super Sentai route?
    Last edited by matt0044; 8th December 2012 at 1:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    Fair enough but why keep Ash in this case? Keeping Ash and even referencing his past insinuates a linear story feel yet it's not suppose to be. And with Ash's regression in BW, it really shows the flaws of this plan. Why not do what PokeSpe and the games do and change the protagonists with each new region for each new audience? Wouldn't that be a better idea?

I mean, take how Ash's previous female companions return to the show. Wouldn't these newer viewers feel the effects of a Continuity Lockout? For example:

Me watching BW when Dawn returns (hypothetically): Who is this girl? And how does she know Ash? What's this Counter Shield? WHAT IS GOING ON?

Right there, the whole new audience ploy falls apart when Ash is forced to stay. Why not go the Power Rangers/Super Sentai route?
    I agree they should simply end Ash's story and tell the journey of a new protagonist. They reset every 3-4 year right? That is the perfect time to tell the story of a new character then trying the retell the story of the same character with new Pokemon.

Quote Originally Posted by Izanagi View Post
    I agree they should simply end Ash's story and tell the journey of a new protagonist. They reset every 3-4 year right? That is the perfect time to tell the story of a new character then trying the retell the story of the same character with new Pokemon.

The unfortunate thing is, the producers are so far down the series in the first place, that it's pretty much moot for them at this point. I don't even watch it unless a movie/particular episodes vaguely interest me...and most of the time, it's just the pretty, pretty animation itself. xd

Needless to say though, I MUCH prefer the manga over the anime.
    The fact that it doesn't follow the same protagonist ALL the time helps too.
    Last edited by Rio!; 9th December 2012 at 10:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post

But to be honest, that never bothered me as a child ._...characters coming in that he knew before hand never bothered me. hell, even now, older characters returning, even if you don't even remember them that well, STILL feel new and refreshing. Despite being a Dawn fanboy, I distinctly remember being relatively sad and upset with the pokemon anime when I found out May was going to be replaced. I didn't wanna see her go. Granted, I saw Dawn and the new region (I just hit puberty around that time, don't attack me. @.@), and I got back into it.

Still, the impact of a character leaving who has long overstayed his welcome may not seem like much to us, in fact, many of us would prefer it...but to children, it may or may not matter. And to say that the feeling of not knowing a certain character destroys the new auidence ploy is ridiculous.
    When refering to learning..."In other words, groups are not where ideas are born. Groups are where ideas are evaluated."
    My eyes! (my eyes!) are filled with curiosity! You think! (You think!) that you have power over me! In this life! (This life!) There’s no room for you and me! So turn around and face the day with me!
    Such a sexy song. Urgh.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast