Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pokemon Anime vs. Manga (PokeSpe, DPA, anything)

Quote Originally Posted by EmphaticPikachu View Post
    But to be honest, that never bothered me as a child ._...characters coming in that he knew before hand never bothered me. hell, even now, older characters returning, even if you don't even remember them that well, STILL feel new and refreshing. Despite being a Dawn fanboy, I distinctly remember being relatively sad and upset with the pokemon anime when I found out May was going to be replaced. I didn't wanna see her go. Granted, I saw Dawn and the new region (I just hit puberty around that time, don't attack me. @.@), and I got back into it.

Still, the impact of a character leaving who has long overstayed his welcome may not seem like much to us, in fact, many of us would prefer it...but to children, it may or may not matter. And to say that the feeling of not knowing a certain character destroys the new auidence ploy is ridiculous.
    Okay, it doesn't destroy it but it kinda goes against their intentions in a way. I just can't help but scratch my head and ask "why?"

I think keeping Ash throughout the series has to do with marketing IIRC. Put Ash and Pikachu on anything and it'll sell like hotcakes.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    Okay, it doesn't destroy it but it kinda goes against their intentions in a way. I just can't help but scratch my head and ask "why?"
    Because people still like to see SOME canoness I guess. I'm sure the animators/writers have some desire to show off older characters eventually, I don't think them not appearing again is not possible. ._... I dunno, but characters coming back always felt good for noglasticness. Look at the N episode...despite the fact N is main star, you wanna know what half the fanbase is screaming about? The fact that there a charizard on the poster ._....Immeidate Hype. I assume older characters temporarily brings older fans back (some...defiantly not all), and the kids are interested in who these people ash seems to know are. Even if they don't usually get a full explaination, I'm pretty sure they can figure out pokemon's been going on for a while...xD

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    I think keeping Ash throughout the series has to do with marketing IIRC. Put Ash and Pikachu on anything and it'll sell like hotcakes.
    If I may say so, half the pokemon shiz that don't make sense is thoroughly a marketing ploy. Two games with exclusive pokemon? Marketing. Trading to evolve pokemon? Marketing. (How does trading pokemon make them evolve without a man made item? ._...you can speculate all you want...but I don't think they really ever had a REAL reason.) In a sense, being portable and encouraged battling? Marketing. I say that because they distinctively knew that those things would raise sales and increase the overall fanbase for the series...(Well, they thought it would...and boy did it. ._.). You wanna know the best thing though? We all loved it and ate it up. There was a reason it was a fad ._... And Marketing ideas for anything don't necessarily mean its bad, just making sure. ._....

So yeah, Ash is a marketing thing I guess, but it doesn't mean its truly horrible...nor does it mean its good. But Best wishes still stays in the top ten shows on Tv tokyo...And most of the ones that beat it are family shows if I remember correctly.
    When refering to learning..."In other words, groups are not where ideas are born. Groups are where ideas are evaluated."
    My eyes! (my eyes!) are filled with curiosity! You think! (You think!) that you have power over me! In this life! (This life!) There’s no room for you and me! So turn around and face the day with me!
    Such a sexy song. Urgh.

Quote Originally Posted by EmphaticPikachu View Post
    If I may say so, half the pokemon shiz that don't make sense is thoroughly a marketing ploy. Two games with exclusive pokemon? Marketing. Trading to evolve pokemon? Marketing. (How does trading pokemon make them evolve without a man made item? ._...you can speculate all you want...but I don't think they really ever had a REAL reason.) In a sense, being portable and encouraged battling? Marketing. I say that because they distinctively knew that those things would raise sales and increase the overall fanbase for the series...(Well, they thought it would...and boy did it. ._.). You wanna know the best thing though? We all loved it and ate it up. There was a reason it was a fad ._... And Marketing ideas for anything don't necessarily mean its bad, just making sure. ._....

So yeah, Ash is a marketing thing I guess, but it doesn't mean its truly horrible...nor does it mean its good. But Best wishes still stays in the top ten shows on Tv tokyo...And most of the ones that beat it are family shows if I remember correctly.
    Well I didn't say that excuses the bad writing.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

My introduction to Pokemon was through the anime and when I watched the first few seasons I enjoyed them. For the most part my friends and I were into all things Pokemon (games, cards, TV, movies) so we consumed all of it. If it was Pokemon related we were there.

The anime became this repetitive cycle and very quickly (around Orange Islands) I realized that unless Ash was battling I did not really care to watch it. Eventually unless Gary was in the episode or Ash was battling in a tournament I didn't tune in. When Ash battled Drake for that two part episode was probably my favorite since Drake had so many Pokemon that I had not seen a trainer use.

I remember being introduced to the magna with the Electric Tale of Pikachu and Pokemon Adventures and found they were able to keep my attention for much longer than the anime. When Gary unleashed his Nidoking, Arcanine and Gyarados, they were just plain scary looking to me. It was my first time I saw Pokemon portrayed in a different light that was not the cutesy anime perspective I was introduced to. Going back to the Drake story arc in the anime, the confrontation also took place in the magna and I realized how much better it was handled in the manga as well.
    Pokemon Adventures in my mind successfully captured what type of story the anime would have been better suited for while continuing to portray the characters in a way that children could have enjoyed it too. Seeing Red actually get hurt, and revealing that there were truly evil characters in this world, not just bumbling idiots, went a long way towards solidifying my enjoyment of the manga.

For me the manga will always be the better of the two.
    PSN: DCCBruceWayneSAS
    3DS Friend Code: 5129-0459-2616

Quote Originally Posted by Izanagi View Post
    I agree they should simply end Ash's story and tell the journey of a new protagonist. They reset every 3-4 year right? That is the perfect time to tell the story of a new character then trying the retell the story of the same character with new Pokemon.
    Agreed. Also, love the Ginyu force-esque you have for the Pokemon evil group leaders.
    Opinions Regarding the Pokémon:
    1. Anime: OS > AG > BW > DP > XY
    2. Movies: OS = AG > DP = BW = XY
    3. English Dub: 4Kids Entertainment/TAJ Productions (EP001-EP276; AG001-AG020) = 4Kids Entertainment (AG021-AG145) = TPCi/SDI Media (The Origin)/Very Good > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (BW)/Poor > PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions (AG146-AG192)/Very Poor > TPCi/DuArt Film & Video (XY) = PUSA/TPCi/TAJ Productions/DuArt Film & Video (DP)/Atrocious
    4. Games: XY > BW1 > BW2 > RSE > GSC > Y > HGSS > DP > RBG
    5. Pokémon: The Origin: Excellent: 93/100.
    6. Manga: RS > RB > Y > FRLG > XY > BW > E > DP > GSC
    "It's like with each new Generation, Dogasu becomes an even bigger idiot than he was the last Generation." - Kalos Adventurer

One thing about Pokemon Manga overall is that (and this is a personal theory of mine) the various Manga are usually written and drawn by one guy, the Mangaka, who have more creative liberty (though their editors may object to somethings) and the chance to really tell a story unlike the Anime which is pretty much one huge commercial riddled with filler or just overall dull moments. The Anime has this vibe that the writers just have no idea what they're doing or where this "story" is heading.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12